PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Search -- Guidance Requsted

PeteS
11-15-2005, 01:18 PM
I've decieded to get my Wife a two-person kayak for her birthday. She wants somehting to do together on the lake, and I figure this would be perfect for us to take out.

My questions is what kind of local shops might carry them? I checked out EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports), and all they have is single-person ones. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I might start looking? Thanks!

88 PS190
11-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Try driving out to cabelas?

I know cabelas carries Old Town Canoes, they probably would carry Old Town's line of 2 person river/lake kayaks.

And they cannot be located much more than an hour from you.

.... something to do together on the lake eh.....

PeteS
11-15-2005, 01:43 PM
That's a good idea, I think they are relatively close.

She defitiely loves going on on the MC, as our powerboat activity, but wants a more peaceful, fitness oriented activity to do together. I figure it's the least I can do, since she puts up with my constant skiing.

BeavenX5
11-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Pete
My wife loves the canoe (we have an old one) and would like to have a kayak as another activity to do at the lake. I was considering getting 2 small inexpensive kayaks to play around on the lake for next summer. What would be the advantage of a larger 2 person kayak? Do I need to consider this option as well?

Thanks

88 PS190
11-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Advantage of one larger boat is that you are in the same boat together, like a canoe, whereas two smaller boats gives you relative freedom to still be together but explore seperately.

If I was based in detroit i'd atleast consider running out to cabelas for a looksee. Disadvantage of the two smaller kayaks is transport and that if you are different levels of ability/strength it can be difficult to stay together.

But it can be a very peaceful activity. I personally like canoeing because you can sit in whatever posistion you feel more comfortable in, don't have to have your feet so straight out.

Hoosier Bob
11-15-2005, 07:51 PM
My brother sells Ocean and Cobra kayaks. I can see what he has in stock or get some ideas from him. I have a Cobra Explorer single sit on top and love it. You may be able to see or get a hold of my brother at www.doinitoutdoors.com. Any questions PM me.
Hoosier
PS. You do know that a sit on top is self bailing and you can swim or scuba from the kayak. Most people assume you cannot. I can swim off my kayak and return to a nice, dry and easy to belly up on boat. This is very nice on those hot days. Most kayaks are sit'in and will bake you. I would definately look at a sit on for your wife. Tons of storage and freedom. The two person won't duck walk on long paddles either and should be around 14-16 feet. My brother also has a triple.

ski_king
11-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I was looking at them at Dicks Sporting Goods today.
I think this is the one I saw, they have a couple of others also.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1907409&cp=864233.694713&parentPage=family

wiltok
11-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Do NOT buy a kayak until you have test driven a hobie with the mirage drive. A little pricey (like my MC :) - but it is sooooooooooo much better than an "arms only" kayak. You can do legs, arms or both. Instead of running at the lake - I am on the water!! You will not be disappointed - trust me!!

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/

-Keith

p.s. I am not affiliated with hobie in any way - I just think their kayaks are awesome.

ski_king
11-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Do NOT buy a kayak until you have test driven a hobie with the mirage drive. A little pricey (like my MC :) - but it is sooooooooooo much better than an "arms only" kayak. You can do legs, arms or both. Instead of running at the lake - I am on the water!! You will not be disappointed - trust me!!

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/

-Keith

p.s. I am not affiliated with hobie in any way - I just think their kayaks are awesome.
I wish I didn't see that, now I want one (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HOBIE-MIRAGE-CLASSIC-PEDALING-KAYAK-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ7196313265QQcategoryZ36122QQcmdZ ViewItem) !

wiltok
11-15-2005, 11:19 PM
That's the one I have - the Mirage. I have time now - here are more details:

1. The drive system is removable. It comes with a plug so you can take the drive out and paddle. I go on rides and paddle for part of it and kick the other part.
2. Comes with a pitot speedometer - it's relatively effortless to maintain 4.5 knots.
3. The Mirage is a 14 footer - supposedly they are coming with a new model called the "Adventure" that is 16 feet (it is rumored to be faster than the other models).
4. They are developing new fins for the drive - they are larger and make higher speeds possible. They will be be able to retrofitted to older drives.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

-Keith

BeavenX5
11-16-2005, 09:15 AM
These Hobbiecat Kayaks looks great like such a great product. It looks like the kids (8 & 10) will have as much fun as the adults with this.
Not knowing anything about kayaks, this is exactly the kind of information I needed.

Wiltok: if you don't mind me asking, what is "a little pricey" ?

You guys are great.
Thanks.

PeteS
11-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Lot's of great info hear, thanks a million to all that contributed. Although awesome looking, the Hobie is unfortunately out of my price range right now. Nice looking kayak though!

After checking out the Cabelas site, they have a few on-line but I'm not sure if the store selection will differ either positively or negatively. That also applies to Dick's -- a bunch online, but shipping will be a ton. I wonder what the in-store selection is like? Ski King, you were there recently?

wiltok
11-16-2005, 12:55 PM
I paid $1450 for mine out the door. I think they only distribute through Hobie dealers (you can find one on their web site) - it's pretty tough to find a cheaper deal (although I did see one on boat trader for sale for a lot less - unfortunately it was located in Calif).

I too balked initially at the price. But after owning it and using it all the time - I really think it is worth it.

One other thing I didn't mention - as long as the water is smooth you do not get wet - at all. This means you can stretch the season considerably - I put on sweats (and socks!) and was out on the water in November. With conventional paddle - it seems like water is always running down onto you.