PDA

View Full Version : JUJU you Boarding today?

LakePirate
11-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Hey Man I am in Douglasville working today and the in-car thermometer read 81. Are you hitting the lake?

That is right boys and girls, 81 in November in Atlanta.

juju151
11-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey Man I am in Douglasville working today and the in-car thermometer read 81. Are you hitting the lake?

If my boat was at the house, I'd take off from work and would be on the way home to take you up on that one, my friend! :)

I've taken the boat into the dealer to get the hull blisters fixed...so I'm boatless at the moment. Sorry about that!

I told my wife that I should have waited a couple more weeks before taking it in...I knew that we'd get another warm spell or two before it turns off real cold.

And yeah...it's a beautiful day here in the ATL. I wish I WAS at home instead of here at work!

I looked at the thermometer yesterday, and the water is about 65 degrees...still good!!!

LakePirate
11-14-2005, 04:28 PM
No worries.

Water temps are a bit chilly if you don't have a wetsuit.

Alabama Power pulled our lake the weekend after labor day. We could make it over to the slalom course for about 2 more weekends then the cut through was too shallow.

Never really understood why they pull it so far, so soon.

erkoehler
11-14-2005, 04:28 PM
81 degrees at your lake!!!! I am expecting 8-12 inches of snow at my lake :D

juju151
11-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Water temps are a bit chilly if you don't have a wetsuit.

Never really understood why they pull it so far, so soon.

Yeah...I went out the day before I took the boat to the dealership. That day the air was about 65-67 degrees and the water was about the same...but it was a little breezy, which made it a little worse. I doubled up...I had a shorty over a long wetsuit and it was pretty nice, except for the cool wind blowing in your ears after a couple of falls. I need to get one of those swimmers hoods or something to keep the ear aches to a minimum. I'm definitely getting a drysuit for next winter...I'm not sure how long they will keep the boat to fix the blisters, but I had them go ahead and winterize it for me, so I won't put it back in until spring. The new boathouse is looking a little empty...I've got my canoe sitting up on the lift...Ha! It looks so pathetic!

I haven't figured that one out either...alot of lakes and campgrounds pack it in for the year after that weekend, but there is still PLENTY of GOOD days left in the season.

Hey Erk...the season just started getting good down here! ;) Just kidding, everyone here is starting to give it up for the year. Just a few die hards still skiing and boarding on the weekends...but if my boat wasn't in the shop, I'd be out there too, no doubt!!!

LakePirate
11-14-2005, 04:59 PM
I have found that the worst part about skiing in the cold weather is the cold wet air whizzing by at 30-50 mph, my little ears get cold.

The off season has arrived time to find the gym......is that somewhere near the library?

Always a good time to see the canoe on the boat lift.

juju151
11-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Always a good time to see the canoe on the boat lift.

Yeah, I figure on the warm winter days the canoe will give my wife and I a decent workout...It's one of those Gheenoes. Pretty cool and very stable...I wanted to try to convert into a rowing skull to give the legs a workout as well.

I wanted to get a REAL 2-person rowing skull...That would be a great wintertime workout...but HA! Man, they think those things are made out of gold or something! They are WAY over priced. Oh well!

LakePirate
11-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Those are for the Blue Bloods.....Us regular ol' folks have no business in one of those things.

I have always wanted one of those as well. A buddy of mine has a place on a private lake in N.C. and there was a guy who got up every morning and rowed. I though it was extremely cool, and a great workout as well.

juju151
11-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Those are for the Blue Bloods.....Us regular ol' folks have no business in one of those things..

Yep you're right...but how about a "Redneck Rowing Skull", Huh, Huh!!! :D

I have always wanted one of those as well. A buddy of mine has a place on a private lake in N.C. and there was a guy who got up every morning and rowed. I though it was extremely cool, and a great workout as well.

Yep...I'm still thinking about converting the Gheenoe into one...if I could find a couple of those workout rowing machines cheap, or just rig a couple of seats onto a track system...that'd be the ticket. Only other thing I'd need is a couple sets of long oars.

The Gheenoe would be perfect to convert into a tandem rowing boat...it's so stable you can stand up in it and stand right next to the edge and it wont tip over.

Ric
11-14-2005, 06:43 PM
ok dumb question, but I've read several times of lakes in areas around the country being lowered at summer's end.... Why is this done? Am I missing something?

Ryan
11-14-2005, 08:45 PM
ok dumb question, but I've read several times of lakes in areas around the country being lowered at summer's end.... Why is this done? Am I missing something?

I know of 3 reasons: Melting snow; ice expansion; and irrigation use through the dry months.
Some, (the handful that I know of) are lowered to give room for the snow melt come spring time. I know of a couple that are lowered to safer levels to prevent potential hazards of ice expansion and the associated pressure on the concrete dam. Some states/counties don't man the dams with enough frequency to be able to adjust the water levels as the snow melts, so they just drop it like crazy just in case. Finally, others drop as water consumption continues beyond that provided by rain fall.

Ok, there is one last one that has to do with conservationists where one court overturns another and lake levels rise and fall like the tide. ;)

Ric
11-15-2005, 01:35 AM
I know of 3 reasons: Melting snow; ice expansion; and irrigation use through the dry months.
Some, (the handful that I know of) are lowered to give room for the snow melt come spring time. I know of a couple that are lowered to safer levels to prevent potential hazards of ice expansion and the associated pressure on the concrete dam. Some states/counties don't man the dams with enough frequency to be able to adjust the water levels as the snow melts, so they just drop it like crazy just in case. Finally, others drop as water consumption continues beyond that provided by rain fall.

Ok, there is one last one that has to do with conservationists where one court overturns another and lake levels rise and fall like the tide. ;)

makes sense .

LakePirate
11-15-2005, 09:54 PM
While all of those are good and proper answers Ryan, they do not apply to lakes in the south.

They pull them in order to create electricity, perform maintenance on the Dam, to control water levels downstream, to keep the algae growth down because the water is moving at a faster pace, to keep debris moving through the lake, and (my personal favorite) so you can work on your property line (seawalls and such).

They also pull it in the event of a hurricane to prevent flooding.

This is just what they say when I am complaining about it.

Now why they need to keep it 7 to 13 feet down for more months than not, I don't understand.

parks_jr_55
11-15-2005, 10:15 PM

Leroy
11-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Mostly to piss off boaters. :uglyhamme

The two lakes around Indy are still sitting completely full. Normally you can walk across many places of the lake.

Ryan
11-16-2005, 01:05 AM
While all of those are good and proper answers Ryan, they do not apply to lakes in the south.
Now why they need to keep it 7 to 13 feet down for more months than not, I don't understand.

I had no idea lake levels like that dropped in the South. Now you're going to tell me they drop in TX too. Dang it. My dreams of retireing (or finding the perfect job location) with a lakefront house, on a perfect lake keeps diminishing.
They don't drop much here, so the few lakes I do know that drop are a very small sample size.

88 PS190
11-16-2005, 02:45 AM
Our lake (Elk Lake MI) only drops about a foot. Amazingly they have some control over it, you'd never guess it by looking at it.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/pb_hawkeye/ElkLake.jpg

It has a hydro electric dam at the north end (elk rapids) emptying into Lake Michigan. Dunno if all the lowering is on purpose, it'd almost be nice if they lowered enough to leave the dock and lift in. wishful thinking...

Tom023
11-16-2005, 09:33 AM
I had no idea lake levels like that dropped in the South. Now you're going to tell me they drop in TX too. Dang it. My dreams of retireing (or finding the perfect job location) with a lakefront house, on a perfect lake keeps diminishing.
They don't drop much here, so the few lakes I do know that drop are a very small sample size.

They sure do, and the lakes are shallow to begin with, so you are amazed to see the stumps you've been skiing over. Best way to learn the lake is to go out when it's low.

LakePirate
11-16-2005, 11:04 AM
I agree with that Tom. If you want to learn a lake now is the time.

There was a lake just south of Macon that was used for skiing. Well when we had the flood in 93 the dam broke. In doing so it revealed all of the stumps that people had been skiing over for years just a foot or so under the water. Needless to say, no more skiing on that lake (that and when they rebuilt the dam, it was about 3 foot shorter.)

Ryan - I am only aware of this being done on Southern Company and Corp. of Engineers lakes. I am not sure if they do this on TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) lakes or not, but would assume so. They do keep the water levels higher on lakes that are used for generating power by means other than hydroelectric.

You can still retire here in the warm winters and have water in your lake....well at least until the droughts come back.