PDA

View Full Version : gage cluster on 2001 maristar 240 vs?

weist1013
05-07-2014, 09:05 PM
I need to replace my depth finder on the dash cluster. I had a quick peek under the dash and could not see how all the gages are mounted. What's the best way to get the depth finder or gages out of the dash panel?

weist1013
05-07-2014, 09:10 PM
I meant to list it at 230 vs

Jeff d
05-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Lie under the dash looking up and get comfortable. You're about to contort your arms and work by feel for about 5-10 minutes while being very uncomfortable. Reach up into the cavity behind the gauges and feel around. You should be able to locate 6 wing nuts that are threaded onto studs on the back of the gauge panel. 2 right above each other right in the middle (One towards the top and one towards the bottom. Between the speedo and tach), 2 near the left edge and 2 on the right edge. You have to remove them all. Each will have a very tiny lock washer and a larger fender washer behind the wing nut. Try to grab them when you remove the nut but if things fall down in there you can retrieve them after the gauge panel is removed. After you have all 6 wing nuts removed you should be able to pull the gauge panel off with all of the gauges on it.

Alternatively you can first remove the whole vinyl coated fiberglass dash by removing those wing nuts but I found that that's much more of a pain vs. just reaching for the wing nuts if all you need to access is the gauges themselves. BTW I have lots of gauge issues and have installed perfect pass on my boat, hence my familiarity with the process. I'm planning on replacing all of my gauges soon with an inexpensive Faria set and getting rid of the whole Medalion/MDC system.

geordie-wake
05-08-2014, 02:41 AM
Im fairly sure to get the Lowrance 3500 out the dash you only have to prise off the coverplate of the gauge and you will find two screws which loosen a plastic cams which secure the gauge in the hole. I had to solder a wire on mine last year.

timvan
05-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Just remove the nuts from the back of the gauge, its easy but uncomfortable. The wiring should be quick disconnect/connect

weist1013
05-08-2014, 09:49 AM
thanks guys!! whats the best replacement depth gage for the lowrance 3500, its no longer supported??

Jeff d
05-08-2014, 12:26 PM
I have the same issue as you but also mine constantly looses the depth and flashes so I'm pretty sure I have transducer issues too. The original transducers on these boats don't have the best reputation to begin with.

I'm planning on replacing mine with this one:
https://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ELLFARI13851

It comes with an in-hull transducer like the original one. To install it you silicone a little cup to the inside bottom of the hull. Then you pour some antifreeze in the cup and attach the transducer. This is supposedly very reliable vs. the traditional method of slow cure epoxy and hoping you don't end up with bubbles in it.

weist1013
05-08-2014, 03:58 PM
thanks jeff D just ordered one from black bear!!

jsturvey
05-13-2014, 12:03 AM
If you can, take some pics while you have it taken apart. I am faced with having to do the same to mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

weist1013
05-23-2014, 06:56 PM
I took some pics, anyone know how to add pics to this thread

jsturvey
06-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Use the insert image icon above (second from right).

cwarndahl
06-05-2014, 11:55 AM
not to thread jack but mine only get the depth when I'm sitting still or moving slow. i thought that was normal. as soon as i pick up speed it flashes at me. if not normal ill spend the 104 and few hours of time to put in a new one.

Jeff d
06-05-2014, 11:59 AM
not to thread jack but mine only get the depth when I'm sitting still or moving slow. i thought that was normal. as soon as i pick up speed it flashes at me. if not normal ill spend the 104 and few hours of time to put in a new one.

It's "normal" as in it seems like that's what most of the Lowrance depth sounders of that vintage do but it's not normal in the sense that it's working properly. I ordered the depth sounder that I referenced earlier in this thread and it should be here today. I'll be putting it in some time in the next few days.

weist1013
06-06-2014, 08:14 AM
My new faria depth gage that i replaced my lowrance with is working great, the install of the puck is a little different with it needing have antifreeze in the base where the puck sits, but it works great.

Jeff d
06-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Installed mine last night. Haven't tested it yet. The transducer was about 10x larger than the original one. Hopefully that equates to better accuracy. I opted to route my transducer cable up into the cable hangers under the starboard side gunwale rather than through the bilge like the original one. I tried to use the old cable as a pull string but the cables were all bound together under the floor.

Jeff d
06-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Oh, the blue led backlight on the gauge buttons seems obnoxious. I haven't looked through to see if I can dim it.

weist1013
06-06-2014, 08:41 AM
its a big tranducer, works great!! make sure you have it set for feet not fathoms when setting it up.

Jeff d
06-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Maybe I want to use fathoms. My preference would be leagues but it doesn't offer that.