PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Honeycomb flooring?

jmike
05-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Getting a new to me 94 205 ready for the water and I need to replace the floor panel directly behind the motor box. It's really soft from some rot and where the motor mount screws have partially pulled through the flooring.

Is it possible to find an affordable piece of the aluminum honeycomb anywhere, or will I have to go with a marine grade plywood or some other material? I need a 29x40 section and I'd like to keep as much weight out of the boat as possible.

Thanks.

kjohnson
05-06-2014, 03:19 PM
In my opinion, that honeycomb flooring sucks. If it didn't you would not need to replace it. Use marine grade plywood glassed over if you can. I'm not sure when MC went to it, but my 91 has fiberglass and my friend's 94 has honeycomb flooring. We had to put backer plates under the honeycomb flooring to keep the motor box rear hinges anchored.

mgs96ps
05-06-2014, 03:49 PM
I am in the middle of replacing same floor section in my 96. The problem that I ran into was finding a synthetic product, (so no rotting) that was light, affordable and rigid enough for the task. I found that to be a tough recipe...so I went with HDPE plastic.

Cloaked
05-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Getting a new to me 94 205 ready for the water and I need to replace the floor panel directly behind the motor box. It's really soft from some rot and where the motor mount screws have partially pulled through the flooring.

Is it possible to find an affordable piece of the aluminum honeycomb anywhere, or will I have to go with a marine grade plywood or some other material? I need a 29x40 section and I'd like to keep as much weight out of the boat as possible.

Thanks.Builder grade plywood 3/4" thick and a coat of epoxy resin (with hardener). Done deal, cheap. There is a thread here that has pictures of a nice install. I did mine a few months back. I also took the opportunity to detach the rear floor section from the engine cover with t-nuts and screws in lieu of the machine screws and nylon locking nuts. You can then remove the engine cover without having to lift the floor section with it. Another MC brain fart connecting the two together...

Plenty of information on the forum....I hate to spoon feed but here you go. Jeff did a good job. An easy Saturday afternoon project.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=799341&postcount=2

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=991032&postcount=9

mikeg205
05-06-2014, 07:25 PM
I turned mine around and used cheap resin and some fiberglass laden body filler reinforced with a piece aluminum. Got some more life out of the panel.

Rossterman
05-06-2014, 07:52 PM
You may be able to find a piece of scrap aluminum for a
Reasonable cost. Although heavier, weight would be minimal difference of a few lbs. when searching scrap metal dealers for plate to use for my project. I found scrap 1/2 plate for not much more than scrap value

Sodar
05-06-2014, 08:08 PM
My honeycomb backseat on on '96 failed and the honeycomb floor section was starting to get squished at the screws to the floor. In my 197, they used a piece of aluminum with the edges bent (think shoebox lid) and then they have a few welded reinforcements for support. The new design is probably the same weight, but is definitely much better in strength.