View Full Version : Aluminum Honeycomb flooring?

05-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Getting a new to me 94 205 ready for the water and I need to replace the floor panel directly behind the motor box. It's really soft from some rot and where the motor mount screws have partially pulled through the flooring.

Is it possible to find an affordable piece of the aluminum honeycomb anywhere, or will I have to go with a marine grade plywood or some other material? I need a 29x40 section and I'd like to keep as much weight out of the boat as possible.

05-06-2014, 02:19 PM
In my opinion, that honeycomb flooring sucks. If it didn't you would not need to replace it. Use marine grade plywood glassed over if you can. I'm not sure when MC went to it, but my 91 has fiberglass and my friend's 94 has honeycomb flooring. We had to put backer plates under the honeycomb flooring to keep the motor box rear hinges anchored.

05-06-2014, 02:49 PM
I am in the middle of replacing same floor section in my 96. The problem that I ran into was finding a synthetic product, (so no rotting) that was light, affordable and rigid enough for the task. I found that to be a tough recipe...so I went with HDPE plastic.

05-06-2014, 06:19 PM

05-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I turned mine around and used cheap resin and some fiberglass laden body filler reinforced with a piece aluminum. Got some more life out of the panel.

05-06-2014, 06:52 PM
You may be able to find a piece of scrap aluminum for a
Reasonable cost. Although heavier, weight would be minimal difference of a few lbs. when searching scrap metal dealers for plate to use for my project. I found scrap 1/2 plate for not much more than scrap value

05-06-2014, 07:08 PM
My honeycomb backseat on on '96 failed and the honeycomb floor section was starting to get squished at the screws to the floor. In my 197, they used a piece of aluminum with the edges bent (think shoebox lid) and then they have a few welded reinforcements for support. The new design is probably the same weight, but is definitely much better in strength.