PDA

View Full Version : Secondary float stuck open?

Lance
11-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Yesterday i winterized my boat. I backed the boat (on its trailer) into the water and started it up and let it come up to temperature and just as it is coming up to temperature (about 5 minutes of idling) I see fuel starting to drip off the back of the carburetor. I lift the spark arrestor off and find the secondary venturis completely full of fuel causing excess fuel to overflow and drip off carburetor. I would say it was at the rate of about 2 drops a second.

What do you suspose is causing this? How much work will it be to correct?

I suspect maybe something (fleck of rust perhaps) is caught between the float valve and valve seat letting fuel slip past. Can this be diagnosed and repaired without removal of the carburetor?

I should mention I have an 87 Prostar with 351 and Holley 4160 carburetor. I have done a rebuild before (about 10 years) so am probably due but am thinking I should be able to get by simply removing rear float cover. Does this make sense?

Lance

tommcat
11-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Tap it with a hammer( LIGHTLY!), that should give you a temporary fix.
take the float bowl off and look for debris and also see if the float still floats.

Hoosier Bob
11-14-2005, 08:01 PM
My 74' did the same thing. Black smoke up and down the river! If I remember right I just removed the bowl and float, cleaned out and readjusted with the locking screw and nut on the top of the float. I did have a rebuild kit handy so I made sure I had all parts if needed. The kit was pretty cheap but that was 15-16 years ago. :toast: