PDA

View Full Version : X15, many ballast questions

blackhawk
05-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Looking to get some ballast bags to add to my 2006 X15 for wake surfing. I am looking at adding the 750lb bags in both lockers. This is my first inboard and I haven't even tried wake surfing yet. Below are my questions:

1) I see where people reinforce the engine side panels. What about adding some plywood or starboard over top of the factory tanks? Just wondering if the weight of the 750s will deform or crack the top of the factory hard tanks.

2) The 750s are 50" L x 20" x 20". My fuel fill line on both sides is around 12" or 13" above the hard tanks. As long as there are no sharp edges from ty-wraps or the such, will the bag just conform around the fuel fill line without damaging anything? Or should I just get smaller/shorter bags?

3) I read about people saying that the front of the boat can take on some water while wake surfing if you are not careful. I assume that this is when you make a turn or stop suddenly. I will take any and all driving tips for wake surfing. I don't want any water coming over my bow.

Thanks

blackhawk
05-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Bueller?, Bueller?, Bueller? Anyone out there?

Aric'sX15
05-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Hmm. I dont think 750s will fit back there. The 400 sacs were tight!

MattsCraft
05-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Looking to get some ballast bags to add to my 2006 X15 for wake surfing. I am looking at adding the 750lb bags in both lockers. This is my first inboard and I haven't even tried wake surfing yet. Below are my questions:

1) I see where people reinforce the engine side panels. What about adding some plywood or starboard over top of the factory tanks? Just wondering if the weight of the 750s will deform or crack the top of the factory hard tanks.

2) The 750s are 50" L x 20" x 20". My fuel fill line on both sides is around 12" or 13" above the hard tanks. As long as there are no sharp edges from ty-wraps or the such, will the bag just conform around the fuel fill line without damaging anything? Or should I just get smaller/shorter bags?

3) I read about people saying that the front of the boat can take on some water while wake surfing if you are not careful. I assume that this is when you make a turn or stop suddenly. I will take any and all driving tips for wake surfing. I don't want any water coming over my bow.

Thanks
I don't think 750's will fit - I would call wake makers, they know all the boats.

As far as driving - I suggest, when the rider falls, immediately, pull off the throttle to neutral, after about a second or so, just pop reverse for a quick grind. This basically lets the wave pass right past you. Also, if you are turning around to pick up your rider, turn in the opposite direction of your ride side. So Port surfer, make your turn to Starboard, vice/versa.

If you make this turn correctly, you can spin the boat without circling the rider, just swing the platform up beyond the rider, bang reverse again and you are in perfect position to throw the rope and start again.

Lastly, I know some people are leery of doing this, but if you are quick and can anticipate the position of the bow of the boat, you can back right up the your rider, rather than spinning for the pick up. Like every thing else, slow is better, no rush to power back to your rider, he needs a break anyway.

WakeWise
05-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Personally on a busy lake I prefer to get around quickly to the fallen rider. I have found keeping on the throttle over the waves allows for the bow to stay above the water and avoid splash over.

WakeWise

ZachDaddy
05-06-2014, 03:49 PM
I have an X15 and I removed the hard tanks out of the rear on both sides and add the 1100 lb bags. They fit great...I did move the fuel hose up and out of the way but it was an MCOCD thing.
I would call Spencer at Wakemakers.com they are great and I this is the second X15 we have set up this way.

blackhawk
05-06-2014, 04:29 PM
The 900s would actually fit on top of the hard tanks if the fuel filler hose wasn't in the way. If I want to stay away from the fuel filler hose and keep the hard tanks, the 455 bags are the largest that will fit.

Zachdaddy - How did you move the fuel filler hose up since it is connected to the hull?

Mattscraft - If I immediately go to neutral, the bow won't dip too low?

ZachDaddy
05-06-2014, 05:00 PM
If you get inside the rear hatch area (portside) the large zip ties can be released. The rubber hose will lift vertically and you can reattach the hose higher up the seatback. Be careful where you relocate the ziptie screw as you can get in the base of the seat bottom gelcoat on the opposite side.

Aric'sX15
05-06-2014, 05:03 PM
The high freeboard on the 15 makes it pretty hard to dip. with an IBS sack on top of the seats and the KGB full, I never had dipping issues. On a busy day, pull off the throttle and wait for the waves to pass and idle back to the rider.

ZachDaddy
05-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Here are a few pictures...This is before I rise the fuel line up. I can't find the pic of after I raised the fuel hose but it is level with the fiberglass/carpeted back side of the seat base.

blackhawk
05-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Zachdaddy - I stopped by my storage unit today and looked at the filler hose again. I see what you are saying now with the zip ties. I had also thought that the hose was more rigid than it really is.

Aric - Glad to know that the X15 doesn't dip easily. My wife would freak out if she ever saw water come in over the bow.

Has anyone tried the Fly High integrated bow sac under the front seats on their X15? There isn't a lot of room in the little compartment in front of the cup holders. I know that I could never fill the sac to the full 650 lbs, but I wonder if I can still get enough in there to make a difference. I really don't want to put a sac on top of the seats. Could I fill it up to at least 400lbs?

Aric'sX15
05-06-2014, 10:18 PM
I had the IBS sack plumbed in, and it would probably fill 50 percent or a tad more. Its crazy easy to plumb, but i wouldn't really recommend it. my KGB tank cracked and they had to split the boat in half to fix it!

blackhawk
05-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Aric - Why did the KGB crack? The KGB is in the center floor, correct? I wouldn't think that the IBS in the bow would be close enough to the KGB tank to put any pressure on it.

Aric'sX15
05-06-2014, 10:27 PM
from the pressure of filling the IBS from the vent line of the KGB.

*lots of people use the overflow plumbing way of plumbing in their sacks, i just had bad luck.

ZachDaddy
05-07-2014, 08:11 AM
My buddy and I both have 07 X15's and we have two 580 lb, its the Nautique rear wedge sacks, bags in the front locker area. We chose them over the IBS because of the volume issue.

One issue that we need to work out is being able to block or isolate the two front bags for surfing. I've always been curious as to what the wake would look like... Our fix was to just fill them halfway and our surf wakes are all we would ever need. I fall surfing long before the wake stops pushing:D

blackhawk
05-07-2014, 04:20 PM
The 455lb sacs are a perfect fit for the rear locker area behind the seat, but if you do the math on the volume, I can get more water in the 900 lb sacs. The 900s are 18" longer and 2" wider, so even though I can't fill them up to full height because of the fuel filler hose, I can get 14% more volume out of them. Equates to about 60 more pounds and saves me $15 each. I also like the fact that the 900s would spread the weight over a greater surface area, nearly 2X.

On the IBS, does the side opposite of the fill/drain port drain very well? Seems like the very front of the bow at the cupholders would keep the opposite side from draining.

Zachdaddy- Are you filling up the Nautique wedge sacks piggy back style from your KGB? If you do, I would assume that you have a hose connecting them together. Do you have any trouble with the one side draining?

Nordicron
05-07-2014, 07:23 PM
My buddies x15 KGB also cracked. He also had it set to fill his bag from the over flow. I really don't think it's a problem filling the bag so much as it's a problem when emptying. What happens is the bag collapses causing a vacuum to form in the tank thusly creating vacuum in the KGB causing it to crack. This problem is magnified greatly when emptying your system while running because the pull of the water from under the moving hull creates even more suction! This can happen with your rear tanks as well if your bags collapse and your tank losses it's ability to vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZachDaddy
05-08-2014, 08:42 AM
This reponse is for TCMercil, I got ur PM but it would'nt let me send it.

Congrats on the MC... I think you will love the boat however I'm bias:D

The 07 has a few differences but the ballast tanks are both the same. A friend of mine has the same 07 model as I do and we changed his setup from the way you are wanting to set up yours. His setup worked but it was slow filling and draining was an even bigger ordeal. The removal of the hard tanks was a straight forward move to simplify the ballast issues.

I knew that I was going to wakeboard with a lot of ballast and we also surf so it was the direction I chose when I bought my 07. My friend after seeing my setup abandoned his 2 season use of piggy backing spent additional moneys to redo his.

The timers are the real hurdle and the fix is to have yours reprogrammed by another TT member.

We both have 180 lb of lead in the nose as well

ZachDaddy
05-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Blackhawk...

I have both the wedge bags plumbed in the overflow of the KGB. They fill and drain excellent. The bags fill from the lower part of the bag and vent from the front top. I tee'd the vents together and ran them around the front of the boat. Cup holder area.

rgizzie
05-12-2014, 10:13 AM
My x-15 is pretty much fully decked out with bags. I ride goofy so I have 1200lbs total on starboard side. 800lbs on port and and I think 800lbs up front. I also have a valve system so I can use the KGB pump to help fill up the starboard side. The starboard side bag goes all the way back to the captains chair under the seat. Best wake on the lake. Just wish mastercraft was like ski nautique and the screw turned to goofy side.

I usually have between 8-11 people on the boat on weekends so I usually only fill up stock KGB tank and have a couple of people sit up front. But if you have it fully waiting down you will have to be very careful to not get flooded. I just throw it in neutral and wait for the wake to go by. My boat tends to turn to starboard even when riding regular. If you have to get to the rider fast just gas it over the wake and keep nose up. Make sure to tell rider to hold wake surf board up when they fall. I am on Lake Austin and it is more like a river. So the good thing about goofy is you can keep the rider close to the coast line so he or she is safer and doesn't get as bad of wakes from other boats.

blackhawk
05-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks everybody for the info. I ordered the front IBS and 2 rear 900 lb bags from Wakemaker's. These are the piggyback style. Should have them this week and hope to install this weekend. My weather looks crappy for the weekend though.

Aric'sX15
05-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Be very careful with plumbing the IBS.

blackhawk
05-17-2014, 10:50 PM
I got all my bags installed today. It went pretty well. Definitely glad that I took my heat gun with me.

Does anyone know the capacities of the stock hard tanks on the X15?

Aric'sX15
05-18-2014, 03:20 PM
250s in the back and 500 in the kgb.

tommydbouy
06-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Blackhawk - How did the setup turn out?

What speed are all of you surfing at?

blackhawk
06-06-2014, 11:26 PM
We have only surfed a couple of times, but the setup seems to be working out great. I fill up all the hard tanks full. Then I put as much water in the IBS and the port fat sac that I can. With just my family of 4 on board. It throws out a pretty decent surf wave. When I surf, I have my wife and youngest son sit in the rear port corner. My wave seems a little short, but I think that I can go ropeless with a little more practice. If I had 2 more people to sit up front, I think that it would help. I have been running around 11 mph, but still playing around with the speed.

I talk like I know what I am doing, but this is the first time that I have ever surfed. I have not even seen any other surf wake besides mine before. Just been learning everything from reading the forum here.

GoneBoatN
06-07-2014, 12:27 AM
I got all my bags installed today. It went pretty well. Definitely glad that I took my heat gun with me.

Does anyone know the capacities of the stock hard tanks on the X15?

250s in the back and 500 in the kgb.

When I contacted Mastercraft and asked this question I was told 150 each rear tank, 250 for the KGB. So stock is 550lbs total. Not much.

Aric'sX15
06-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Woah seriously? Those tanks seem a lot bigger than that!

tommydbouy
06-07-2014, 03:55 PM
From 06 to 08 the total ballast was about 750#. In 09 they increased the rear tanks to 45 gal each. That brought the total to 900+#. I know I saw the exact weights somewhere but I couldn't dig it up.

What speed are you x15's surfing at?

blackhawk
06-07-2014, 08:57 PM
When I contacted Mastercraft and asked this question I was told 150 each rear tank, 250 for the KGB. So stock is 550lbs total. Not much.

I think that the tanks are much bigger than that. I think Aric is closer with 250s on each side and 500 in the KGB. If you just do the math on the pumps, it would only take 2 minutes to fill up a 150 lb tank and it definitely takes longer than that on my boat. I measured my pump output one time out of the boat and it was doing a little better than 10 GPM. 10 gal/min x 2 min x 8.35 lb/gal = 167 lb.