PDA

View Full Version : New Wiring 83 Mastercraft

ksulliv
05-05-2014, 02:13 PM
I replaced all the gauges in my 83 which resulted in a switch from an amp meter to a volt meter and am also replacing all the surface fuses with a fuse block. In the first picture the bottom gauge is the old amp meter. The red wire is the source "constant hot wire," the orange all feed different systems. The two smaller orange wires feed the switches, ignition, etc, but the one larger orange wire goes back to the engine through the main wire harness. What is that for? And should it be hot all the time? Thanks!

drschemel
05-05-2014, 03:10 PM
The ammeter should have one wire coming from the positive starter terminal (red one) and the other wire coming from the alternator output (orange one). The volt meter just needs to connect to a ground and a positive terminal. Depending on how the original ammeter is wired, you might have to connect the red and orange wires together to get current to everything and charge your battery. They could both be attached to the positive terminal of the voltimeter.

ksulliv
05-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Yes, the volt meter is much more simplistic than a ammeter.

OK, that makes sense. I had thought of that but it just seems like such a long loop just to get back to the battery. So could I connect that wire that is coming from the alternator to the positive side of my fuse bus like in the pic below?

occva
05-05-2014, 04:53 PM
check this thread.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42477

ksulliv
05-05-2014, 05:52 PM
That was a good write-up and confirmed what I thought was occurring with all those wires. It sounds like that if I do decide to connect the alternator wire directly to the positive side of the fuse bus it would be fine, essentially doing the same thing.

drschemel
05-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Exactly, it doesn't really matter where the orange and red wire meet, only that they do!. Puting them together on the volt meter post was just my lazy suggestion, Yours is better, but requires more rewiring. The statment about putting volt meter on the switched side of the ignition is a good one. You don't need it on all the time!

cruiser
05-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Is the red liquid on the terminal post Loctite?

drschemel
05-05-2014, 06:28 PM
i hope not, you are supposed to heat red loctite to 500 degrees to be able to remove the nuts!

ksulliv
05-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Yes, I wired the new volt meter using the ignition wire, like the rest of the gauges. Thanks for your help!