PDA

View Full Version : 87 ProStar 190 Engine shutting down

Resurrection
05-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Hey guys I hope someone has had a similar experience.

I picked up an 87 ProStar 190 last summer with 195 hours on it and am having issues with it shutting down after running it for a while, like after an hour or so of pulling people. When it shuts down and I try to start it back up it it will turn over very slow and behaves as though the battery is dead. If I let it cool down for 5 minutes it will start back up and run for a period of time then do it again. I believe it may be a thermal problem within the electronic ignition. I do not believe it is a fuel I will give a rundown of what I have done so far.

Replaced the following

Battery
Starter
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Coil
Fuel filter
Fuel lines
Water pump impeller

The engine temp remains good at all times.

Any thoughts are appreciated

cbryan70
05-05-2014, 12:42 PM
did you replace the wires from the battery to the starter?

Resurrection
05-05-2014, 01:41 PM
I purchased them at the end of the year but have not taken the shrink wrap off the boat due to our seemingly never ending winter we had.

pkskier
05-05-2014, 02:08 PM
You maybe having a problem with the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. I had the same issue in my '87, ethanol has soften the rubber fuel line and the fuel pump's sucking action can collapse the hose starving the engine of fuel.

Resurrection
05-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Fuel was my initial thought as well. I have replaced the fuel line. I am leaning towards electrical because of the hard time it has cranking over until it has cooled a bit. Again I have replaced the starter and battery as well

cbryan70
05-05-2014, 02:32 PM
I would bet on needing new wires. How are your grounds?

Resurrection
05-05-2014, 02:37 PM
I will be replacing the main ground cable to the battery when I remove the shrink wrap this afternoon. Does anyone know how many grounds there are? Would I be best served adding a ground distribution block?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Fuel was my initial thought as well. I have replaced the fuel line. I am leaning towards electrical because of the hard time it has cranking over until it has cooled a bit. Again I have replaced the starter and battery as well

Sounds electrical to me as well. You can eliminate fuel as a cause next time it shuts down by quickly removing the flame arrestor and pumping the throttle to see if there is fuel being delivered by the accelerator pump.

Resurrection
05-05-2014, 02:51 PM
It is most definitely getting fuel.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-05-2014, 03:28 PM
What is your engine temp gauge doing when this is going on?

Resurrection
05-05-2014, 03:37 PM
It has has always stayed cool.

Resurrection
05-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Any thoughts on the electronic ignition? it is the only piece not replaced. The only ground that i see is from the block to the battery. Should there be any additional grounding?