PDA

View Full Version : eBay bidding strategies

H20skeefreek
11-13-2005, 11:39 PM
This is just a rant. I'm not asking for specific bidding strategies, nor am I going to share mine. this is more of an observation than anything.

Okay, so I find something on eBay tonight that I want. It has over 6 days left on bidding and the price is $25.00. Somebody, who is actually a member of this board, has already driven the bidding up to over $100.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DO THIS??? Bidding early is sooooo dumb, the person with the highest reserve bid is still going to win, so the person who is willing to pay the most will win, but bidding early just drives up the price quicker and further. It allows people's emotions to get involved and causes higher prices. on some items a high bid from the start COULD scare people away. for instance if you bid $30 on a ball cap in the first day of bidding, you probably won't get anyone to bid against you. But on an item that could go between $300-$400 why jack it up to over $100 on the first day????? It's now mor likely to go between $500 and $600.

Farmer Ted
11-13-2005, 11:46 PM
You should out them!

If I find something I really want on Ebay, I put it in my watch items, figure out what I'm willing to pay as a max bid and then wait until the last 10 or less seconds to bid that price.

milkmania
11-13-2005, 11:53 PM
ebay is da debil!

BriEOD
11-14-2005, 07:48 AM
It's the devil Bobby! :uglyhamme

stumbledog
11-14-2005, 07:54 AM
It may not even be him(or her) driving up the price. They may have just put in what they were willing to pay. Ebay will auto bid-up for them as others bid. Someone who throws in a couple low bids, one after the other, drives the price up.

The price is going to go up regardless of when you start the bidding process, no matter if it is 6 hours or 6 minutes.

I have tried numerous timing strategies to no avail with ebay. The price is going up if someone has a bid in.

I personally think that EBAY has alot of potential for unethical people to go unchecked. I have experienced this firts hand. You just have to be careful.

Farmer Ted
11-14-2005, 09:12 AM
I figured out who it was, or at least have a pretty good idea.
Can't say I'd buy that item second hand for that amount of money.

mitch
11-14-2005, 09:24 AM
I figured out who it was, or at least have a pretty good idea.
Can't say I'd buy that item second hand for that amount of money.

I agree Farmer!

H20, You're right on re: $$. I'd be $350.00 absolute max for that. As far as strategies for ebay, it's all in how bad you want something. I'm usually a sniper if I want it bad, otherwise I'll put my max bid and wait it out. Rarely will I let emotion get in the way. I think we've all seen a lot of overpaying for stuff on ebay. It's good for chuckle as long as it's not you.

BriEOD
11-14-2005, 09:39 AM
On some items that were higher priced I have emailed the seller and said I'll give you xx amount if you end the auction right now. It's worked both times I did it and I didn't spend more than I wanted to. The con to this is if you wait you might get it cheaper, or you might not.

John B
11-14-2005, 09:49 AM
It's the devil Bobby! :uglyhamme
Brian,What are trying to say here??
It's was not me! :mad:

MarkP
11-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Bid High and bid often!! LOL!!

Iím more of a sniper but I have put an opening bid in early so the seller couldnít change the auction. I have also emailed sellers and told them if they add a (that Iím willing to pay) buy it now I would go for it

Leroy
11-14-2005, 10:22 AM
I bid $25 on a RV shower control and head last night? Hope I didn't type in an extra zero. Would not be funny!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Ok, Is it not good practice to bid what you are willing to pay? What's the difference, if you throw it out there 1st day or last? If you know what you are willing to pay, and won't budge, what's the difference?

Here is an example. I listed two MATCHING items only seconds apart. Listed separately, The set of these items cost me about $10,000. I was not going to get that for them used. BOTH winners of the items used the last second strategy, and both lost the matching pieces. And I come to find that out when they picked the stuff up, about the last second strategies they each had, in which did not work.

Cary K.
11-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I am generally a one bid buyer. When I find an item I want, I put in my max bid. If I win it great, if not, then they wanted it more than I did anyway. And I love the "buy it now" feature.

Ric
11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
I tried for a month to get the kids a simple kneeboard off fleabay and always always people "overpaid" for those things! It was irritating and I finally watched one to the final few seconds and bid on it(keeping myself and others from paying more than I wanted to) Is that "sniping"?

Also, if I bid X at the last moment, does someone's prebid max automatically beat me out in the last nanoseconds? Anybody know?

As a seller, I watched the runup of bidding frenzy on a couple of items in the first day of the auction and immediately worried that clowns like this would not end up coming thru with the $ at the end of the auction??

BriEOD
11-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Brian,What are trying to say here??
It's was not me! :mad:
Didn't say it was. I saw Milkman's comment about the "debil" and immediately Kathy Bates popped into my head. "I inveneted electricity, Ben Franklin's the Devil." (Charlie Daniels band in the background) :uglyhamme

"Mama said Alligators are honry cuz that got all them teeth and no toothbrush."

Sorry for the threadjack.

BriEOD
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Also, if I bid X at the last moment, does someone's prebid max automatically beat me out in the last nanoseconds? Anybody know?

Yes, it does.

east tx skier
11-14-2005, 01:17 PM
If you're not sniping, you're just asking to pay more than you need to pay. I only bid in the last 15 seconds of an auction.

Cary K.
11-14-2005, 02:21 PM
If you're not sniping, you're just asking to pay more than you need to pay. I only bid in the last 15 seconds of an auction.

I am not a frequent E-Bayer and don't quite understand this. I won't necessarrily pay what my max bid id. My max bid will only go up 1 incrament over what the next highest bid is. Am I missing something?

djhuff
11-14-2005, 03:05 PM
The issue i have with bidding early is really people who think like me.

I'll put in a bid towards teh end that I think is a fair price, then when it is outbid by they proxy system, I'll talk myself into paying a little more for it until I either reach my absolute max, or out bid the bidder on proxy.

If it were just me and the other bidder, the other bidder could have won by waiting til the end and out bidding me on my original bid.

I tend to only bid on items that are ending that day, but I don't sit in front of my computer and watch it until the very end.

JDK
11-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Ok, Is it not good practice to bid what you are willing to pay? What's the difference, if you throw it out there 1st day or last? If you know what you are willing to pay, and won't budge, what's the difference?

This is exactly why ebay themselves say 'bid what you are willing to pay'.
If you've ever been to a 'live' auction, you will see firsthand that smart people do very stupid things when they get caught up bidding after the auctioneer has said 'going once, going twice.........'. Trying to snipe something in the last 30 seconds is just like this, and imo, it's a sucker move. Just ask yourself how many times you've bid more than once when trying your snipe.
(my family was in the auction business, and trust me on this one.......auctioneers count on this, and so does Ebay).

east tx skier
11-14-2005, 03:15 PM
I am not a frequent E-Bayer and don't quite understand this. I won't necessarrily pay what my max bid id. My max bid will only go up 1 incrament over what the next highest bid is. Am I missing something?

There are a lot of ebayers out there who don't trust the proxy bid system. They bid continuously at the minimum bid amount until they have just barely outbid the high bidder. They also like to see their name next to the high bidder emblem well before auction's end. This has zero value of course, but it give some folks warm fuzzies. If you bid early, you're enticing these people to bid.

By bidding at the last possible instant, you won't outbid someone who trusts the proxy bid system and has outbid you, but you will get the jump on someone who has bid as set forth above. And 15--30 seconds usually isn't enough time for them to get another bid in.

By bidding early, you're begging to be outbid. This is how prices get driven up.

JDK
11-14-2005, 03:20 PM
And 15--30 seconds usually isn't enough time for them to get another bid in.

Maybe if you're on dial-up.
In 30 seconds, I have easily gotten 5 bids rejected, and yes, I'm a sucker too.

east tx skier
11-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Maybe if you're on dial-up.
In 30 seconds, I have easily gotten 5 bids rejected, and yes, I'm a sucker too.

I don't really understand 5 bids rejected?

east tx skier
11-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Trying to snipe something in the last 30 seconds is just like this, and imo, it's a sucker move. Just ask yourself how many times you've bid more than once when trying your snipe.
(my family was in the auction business, and trust me on this one.......auctioneers count on this, and so does Ebay).

I've never bid more than once on a bid snipe. I know what my max is when I bid and I stick to it. Getting emotional about auction items hasn't been a problem yet. I don't bid the bare minimum when I snipe. I bid the minimum I'm willing to pay. I trust the proxy system. Most people who bid in the middle of the auction don't tend to watch in the last few minutes anyway. If I don't outbid the proxy, I tell myself that they wanted it more and am done with it.

By sniping I'm not tempting someone to outbid me and am not usually giving someone the opportunity to have a second chance when they've only bid the bare minimum.

juju151
11-14-2005, 04:05 PM

This man KNOWS what he's talking about! ;)

I agree with you ETS!

I've had people get mad at me for doing this in the past...but I'm like, WHAT'S THE PROBLEM??? I told them if they don't like it, put in a higher max bid...that's what it's there for!

Try not bidding during the last 30 seconds of a REAL auction! What would be the point...why even have an auction at all??? :mad:

And ETS has described exactly what I'm talking about. Not doing the sucker bid...but bidding what you already made up your mind as YOUR top bid...if it wins, great...if not...great! But it keeps people from trying to outbid you for 3 days, driving the price up above what the item is worth.

OhioProstar
11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I have used tools like HammerSnipe to grab items at the last second. They can put your bid in 3 seconds before the auction ends..where most people can't. You simply put your highest bid in and the tool will make sure you win as long as you bid enough. Works pretty well.

Andyg
11-14-2005, 04:41 PM
I agree with you Eastie. It is by far the best way to bid and win the product at a price you are willing to pay.

JDK
11-14-2005, 05:07 PM
I don't really understand 5 bids rejected?

Woooops! I mis-spoke.......I've been OUTBID by Ebay's proxy bidding system 5 times in the last 30 seconds of an auction......the "You've been outbid message".

Farmer Ted
11-14-2005, 05:31 PM
I have used tools like HammerSnipe to grab items at the last second. They can put your bid in 3 seconds before the auction ends..where most people can't. You simply put your highest bid in and the tool will make sure you win as long as you bid enough. Works pretty well.

How much do these things/services cost?

east tx skier
11-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Woooops! I mis-spoke.......I've been OUTBID by Ebay's proxy bidding system 5 times in the last 30 seconds of an auction......the "You've been outbid message".

Oh, yeah. The proxy outbid is pretty much instantaneous. Sniping does not circumvent the proxy system. Again, the only purpose is (1) to not entice people to outbid you, and (2) to get the jump on people who do not trust the proxy bid function on ebay. That's it.

Farmer, those services have a monthly fee, but are free to try. From all I hear, they work great. I decided to save that money and add it on to my bid, which works great unless the auction ends at 4 a.m. That usually doesn't happen though.

Andyg
11-14-2005, 05:59 PM
I have been using www.justsnipe.com (http://www.justsnipe.com) for the past year or so. There is no monthly fee and they give you 5 snipe bids a month.

east tx skier
11-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Cool, Andy. I'll have to check that out.

By the way, is the auction in question for the Perfect Pass?

JDK
11-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Sniping does not circumvent the proxy system.

Exactly, that's why even Ebay says, bid the max. amount you are willing to pay and forget about it.
It seems like people here don't realise that it's in Ebay's (or any auctioneer's) best interest for the price to be driven up.

H20skeefreek
11-14-2005, 08:00 PM
but it's not in the bidders best interest. Perfect pass? what perfect pass?

JDK
11-14-2005, 08:05 PM
but it's not in the bidders best interest.

Who cares about the bidder's? 8p

maristarman
11-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I have been using www.justsnipe.com (http://www.justsnipe.com) for the past year or so. There is no monthly fee and they give you 5 snipe bids a month.

SO what happens if two people are using the snipe software on the same auction? :confused:

Andyg
11-14-2005, 08:17 PM
SO what happens if two people are using the snipe software on the same auction? :confused:

If they are the same amount then the winner is who ever snipe bid first. I don't think Ebay will let two bids with the exact same time stamp for that reason. If they are different it obviously goes to the higher bidder. Remember all a snipe bid does is allows you to bid with hardly any time left in the auction to prevent the person that doesn't believe in proxy bidding from beating your bid.

Hoosier Bob
11-14-2005, 08:56 PM
If the reserve is not listed I will bid early to get close. I win a ton of reserve items that no one will bid on, usually as a second chance from the seller. If no reserve I snipe and then bid my max. Unfortunately this works very well and I have a house full of crap! :D
Hoosier

H20skeefreek
11-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Who cares about the bidder's? 8p
uuuuhhhh, the bidders??

H20skeefreek
11-15-2005, 08:12 AM
5 days 8 hours left: 301.00 it's not a board member causing the problem (i don't think anyway) but a frequent ebayer, so he must have a strategy i guess.

OhioProstar
11-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Ted I think it is free for few bids per month...if you pay $9 the system will bid much closer to the end of the auction...like 2 seconds. Which if you have put enough money in will beat out anyone else.

east tx skier
11-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Exactly, that's why even Ebay says, bid the max. amount you are willing to pay and forget about it.
It seems like people here don't realise that it's in Ebay's (or any auctioneer's) best interest for the price to be driven up.

I understand. But I'm not going to bid before the last seconds of the auction. I'm not worried about the seller's best interest. :) Of course, ebay wants people to bid early and often.

east tx skier
11-15-2005, 11:10 AM

Then the one with the higher bid wins.

east tx skier
11-15-2005, 11:12 AM
5 days 8 hours left: 301.00 it's not a board member causing the problem (i don't think anyway) but a frequent ebayer, so he must have a strategy i guess.

... or the seller has a buddy bidding on it to drive up the price. :o

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2005, 01:20 PM
If your someone that is worried about being outbid on something you are trying to lowball on anyway, then far too much $.....

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2005, 01:25 PM
... or the seller has a buddy bidding on it to drive up the price. :o

A frequent strategy I have seen. Some people seem to think it is cheating as you can tell by the feedback some people get. I have to wonder, if they don't like what they paid, why would they bid that high. You know there will be another one of whatever it is.
Personally I don't care if they use this strategy, costs them money at their own risks if it doesn't sell. Althought it probably isn't in the rule books.

east tx skier
11-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I've seen people do this to get a price right up to the reserve. If it doesn't sell, then it doesn't cost them anything as the reserve wasn't met.

maristarman
11-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Then the one with the higher bid wins.

I see I didn't ask the right question.

So I guess the company assumes no warranty and makes no guarantee that you will win the bid, even if you have actually entered the highest maximum bid? If thats the case, why would anyone pay them for their service. Here's a hypothetical.

Lets say two guys named Bob and John are each bidding on a 1998 Prostar 190.

The bidder has no reserve listed. The auction price is currently sitting at 9K. Both Bob and John put in 15K as their maximum bids using this snipe software.

Does it then just become a crap shoot?

I'm not sure if the bids are placed from a website snipe is hosting, using a high speed connection, or if the snipe software works on Bob and Johns desktop machines. Given latency and all of that I'm trying to figure out how the snipe software knows how to time it to get the bid in exactly with only "X" number of seconds left.

If Bob and John both pay Snipe so that they get the bid "even closer" towards the end of the auction, does ebay choke on the concurrent bids?

It sounds like the software companies that sell this type of product have a goldmine if in fact they sell you a product/service that doesn't have to guarantee to ever give you the desired results (ie. actually winning the bid).

I liken that to owning a boat company that sells people boats that may not actually float, but people still buy them anyway.

AirJunky
11-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Or you can take a lesson from your scenario, Milk. Never bid in nice round numbers. The guy who bids $15,000. 01 would win.
The snipe software I use is run from a server on the net & you only pay if you win (so if the boat floats, you pay).
If two like bids come in for the same amount, and that is the winning number, Ebay says the one that came in first wins.

JDK
11-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Does it then just become a crap shoot?

I'm not sure if the bids are placed from a website snipe is hosting, using a high speed connection, or if the snipe software works on Bob and Johns desktop machines. Given latency and all of that I'm trying to figure out how the snipe software knows how to time it to get the bid in exactly with only "X" number of seconds left.

imho; This is an excellent question.

Andyg
11-15-2005, 08:00 PM
I see I didn't ask the right question.

So I guess the company assumes no warranty and makes no guarantee that you will win the bid, even if you have actually entered the highest maximum bid? If thats the case, why would anyone pay them for their service. Here's a hypothetical.

You are correct that there is no guarantee that you will win. I probably wouldn't use snipe bidding unless it was free. The place I use allows me to place 5 snipe bids a month.

Andyg
11-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Or you can take a lesson from your scenario, Milk. Never bid in nice round numbers. The guy who bids $15,000. 01 would win.
The snipe software I use is run from a server on the net & you only pay if you win (so if the boat floats, you pay).
If two like bids come in for the same amount, and that is the winning number, Ebay says the one that came in first wins.

Not using round numbers is probably one of the best strategies in winning on eBay. Another is to research other auctions that current bidders have won. That will show you what thier bidding tendancies are.

RackAtak
11-15-2005, 08:32 PM
I use esnipe.com. I win some and lose some. The service shoots my max bid in with 6 seconds left in the auction. I put my max bid in esnipe several days before the auction ends and sit back and wait.

Most times I am bidding against others who regularly bid on the same type of items as me. Sometimes I will put a bid in directly on ebay a couple days after the item was listed just to test the waters even if I have directed esnipe to bid for me. My direct bid is always lower than my esnipe max. When the auction ends, if my max bid placed directly on ebay is lower than my max esnipe bid but still the highest bid on the item, my direct ebay bid is boss and esnipe will not bid over my direct bid. Is this confusing??? :confused:

One more thing...all auctions have minimum bid increase increments and if it seems like you lost the bid by the minimum increment, you still do not know what the winners maximum bid was they just beat you by the minimum increment. If you lose the bid by less than the minimum increment then that was the winners maximum bid. More confusion...

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Increments of $1.99, $21.99, $31.99, etc.. usually roots out the .01 people.

phecksel
11-17-2005, 12:41 PM
A frequent strategy I have seen. Some people seem to think it is cheating as you can tell by the feedback some people get. I have to wonder, if they don't like what they paid, why would they bid that high. You know there will be another one of whatever it is.
Personally I don't care if they use this strategy, costs them money at their own risks if it doesn't sell. Althought it probably isn't in the rule books.
Not only cheating but illegal. Not much risk on ebay, but they will investigate and in the case I was familar with ban the user. I didn't follow my own strategy of waiting, but got caught up in the bidding. I thought I had seen the name before of my "counter" bidder, and started looking at past auctions. He was a frequent purchaser, and left glowing reviews. What made it easy, was the exact same product appeared a week later on every product this person allegedily purchased. E'Bay was very quick to suspend the account and then about a week later banned the user. I did not see them back online even 6 months later. But we were also dealing with a substantial amount of money too.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Not only cheating but illegal. Not much risk on ebay, but they will investigate and in the case I was familar with ban the user. I didn't follow my own strategy of waiting, but got caught up in the bidding. I thought I had seen the name before of my "counter" bidder, and started looking at past auctions. He was a frequent purchaser, and left glowing reviews. What made it easy, was the exact same product appeared a week later on every product this person allegedily purchased. E'Bay was very quick to suspend the account and then about a week later banned the user. I did not see them back online even 6 months later. But we were also dealing with a substantial amount of money too.
Illegal. No kidding. I guess I have to ask myself. WHAT ISN'T ILLEGAL anymore.
Its probably as illegal asit is for the kids to get on there and bid their butts off and never pay right. I recall seeing a kid list his SCHOOL. And one of his obviously a buddy bid millions of dollars. They had some serious amounts of negative feedback too. I have no idea how I found such a thing, maybe a general search and did price highest to low and the most expensive thing came up. Normally I have found boats on the top of the list. Or I guess they would be called ships....

H20skeefreek
11-21-2005, 02:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4590149532&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Well, here are the final results of the bidding, does this just seem rediculous to anyone???

Farmer Ted
11-21-2005, 02:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4590149532&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Well, here are the final results of the bidding, does this just seem rediculous to anyone???

He could have purchased it brand new for that kind of money and had some peice of mind with a warranty.