PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm broken down and stranded!

St1cky
05-05-2014, 03:49 AM
JoePool lake, marina next to cedar hill state park, grand prairie tx.

I'm stranded in my 2012 X25 that has 78hrs. I'm original owner and have never had any problems until now. Just a minute after unloading from trailer earlier Sunday evening my engine died. I was not able to get it running but fortunately drifted straight towards the marina. Lucky huh? Well nobody was around to tow me back safely to boat ramp mainly because of the wind and it's 1:30am and still gusting pretty bad. Anyways the marina owner said I could use the only empty slip here but I need to find someone that can fix my boat or get it trailered by tomorrow.

So here's the problem. Soon after starting the engine, the touchscreen, guages, and even the dang radio shut off. Engine may run anywhere from 2secs to 1min. The things that don't turn off are engine blower, courtesy lights , horn still works, and maybe few other small accessories. After it shuts off the touchscreen and gauges try to power back on but sometimes flicker before a successfull reboot or whatever and then radio eventually turns on and will stay on until I start engine again. I've checked battery voltage, ground connections at engine block and under dash, fuses, breakers, various harnessses, and am officially stuck.

I know that mastercraft sales is closed today (Monday) but maybe service dept is open? I'm literally spending the night on my boat trying to figure this out. Need help guys!

St1cky
05-05-2014, 03:57 AM
I also posted this in general discussion

JoePool lake, marina next to cedar hill state park, grand prairie tx.

I'm stranded in my 2012 X25 that has 78hrs. I'm original owner and have never had any problems until now. Just a minute after unloading from trailer earlier Sunday evening my engine died. I was not able to get it running but fortunately drifted straight towards the marina. Lucky huh? Well nobody was around to tow me back safely to boat ramp mainly because of the wind and it's 1:30am and still gusting pretty bad. Anyways the marina owner said I could use the only empty slip here but I need to find someone that can fix my boat or get it trailered by tomorrow.

So here's the problem. Soon after starting the engine, the touchscreen, guages, and even the dang radio shut off. Engine may run anywhere from 2secs to 1min. The things that don't turn off are engine blower, courtesy lights , horn still works, and maybe few other small accessories. After it shuts off the touchscreen and gauges try to power back on but sometimes flicker before a successfull reboot or whatever and then radio eventually turns on and will stay on until I start engine again. I've checked battery voltage, ground connections at engine block and under dash, fuses, breakers, various harnessses, and am officially stuck.

I know that mastercraft sales is closed today (Monday) but maybe service dept is open? I'm literally spending the night on my boat trying to figure this out. Need help guys!

Aric'sX15
05-05-2014, 04:48 AM
Theyre closed for service on mondays also. Long story short im in the hospital, but I would totally come down and give you a tow.

tex
05-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Call service...some of the guys do work on Mondays. Good luck.

Jerseydave
05-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Sounds like you either have a very low battery, loose/dirty connections, alt not charging or no alt belt. Will it run long enough to check voltage while running? Charging voltage should be 12.8-14.0 volts

Do you have a jump box you can use to get the boat running long enough to get back to the ramp?

St1cky
05-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Does anyone know what could cause something like this? Ecu? Some ignition related relay? Anything?

snork
05-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Check the alternator connections, safety lanyard, see if you have fuel pressure at the injector rail.
I don't think it fuel related check electrical connection front to back.
PM your cell number and I'll try to get someone at TX MC/MB to give ya a call

BudmanV24
05-05-2014, 09:40 AM
To my knowledge txmc service is closed today too. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

sand2snow22
05-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Check safety lanyard connection. Check all battery connections/battery switch connections. Sounds like you have a loose ground...

St1cky
05-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I've checked all connections to and from batteries and cleaned up ground connection to block. Even after charging and trying three different batteries I'm having same issues. Engine did start and run about 7min last night (new record) but then it took about 10min for screen/guages to fire back up. Now it's back to running for a few secs at a time. Alternator is putting out 14v when it does run. I'm now getting a service required message. I've noticed something new, every now and then when it does actually start I can idle it up out of gear but sometimes it will not idle up at all as if the throttle is not even there but if I try and put it in gear it dies, at least sometimes. This whole thing smells like a major computer failure but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know for sure what all computer systems if any are on board other than ecu.

Pm sent

Jerseydave
05-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I've checked all connections to and from batteries and cleaned up ground connection to block. Even after charging and trying three different batteries I'm having same issues. Engine did start and run about 7min last night (new record) but then it took about 10min for screen/guages to fire back up. Now it's back to running for a few secs at a time. Alternator is putting out 14v when it does run. I'm now getting a service required message. I've noticed something new, every now and then when it does actually start I can idle it up out of gear but sometimes it will not idle up at all as if the throttle is not even there but if I try and put it in gear it dies, at least sometimes. This whole thing smells like a major computer failure but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know for sure what all computer systems if any are on board other than ecu.

Pm sent

I agree, possible computer related problem. Under warranty? Either way, get it back on the trailer and let your MC dealer have a look.

St1cky
05-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Out of due diligence I now have two new batteries installed. Didn't help.

St1cky
05-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Yes on warranty. Can't get it loaded without a tow.

XSTAR40
05-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Can you borrow an electric trolling motor from someone. Sounds like yougot lots of batteries. Might be enough to push you to the ramp.

Nordicron
05-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Yeah if your motor was turning over decently, your batteries were good. Smells like a computer issue to me as well. Good luck. The more I read about these things the more happy I am that I have all manual switches and gauges!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St1cky
05-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Well after a brief stroll through shallow water and a short swim through deeper water I managed to get her back to the trailer and loaded. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Water is still a little chilly at 72degrees. :)

CC2MC
05-05-2014, 01:19 PM
I hope it is something that is covered under warranty. That has to be very frustrating. I'm glad that you made it back to the trailer safely.

St1cky
05-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Well I have the extended warranty so we'll see. Doubt I did anything last night that would void any warranty unless lots of voltage testing and checking fuses is a bad thing. ;) Not much worried about it.

I'll let you guys know when we find out what caused all this . Gotta be some curious minds out there other than mine.

Dylan
05-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Yikes! Glad you made it back to the ramp.

XSTAR40
05-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Glad to hear you made it back to the ramp safe.:)

JMann
05-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Keep us updated on what the dealer says and what the problem is/was.

Hope it's all covered.

St1cky
05-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Boat is fixed. Turned out to be the 40amp relay that is mounted directly to the left of the engine fuse box. Apparently Illmor knows about the issue and claims that it is likely the placement of the relay that caused early failure. Apparently some water can leak through the front edge of the engine hood and directly onto the relay causing very early corrosion (my boat is not even 2yrs yet with 78hrs). The relay has been known to go completely out or in my case be intermittent resulting in the symptoms stated at the beginning of this thread. Has been replaced with a new relay that has a manual reset, and hopefully more water proof.

Issue was covered via engine warranty.

St1cky
05-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Also want to mention the guys at Texas Mastercraft as their attention to this problem and service was amazing! I was able to get in touch with the head of the service department early monday morning while I was stuck at the marina and had several people working the problem by phone. Had I waited just a short while longer at the marina, I would not have had to trailer the boat by hand which was my own decision but rather have had work-around instructions from TX MC that would have allowed me to get the boat running.

The great service continued Tuesday morning! I took my boat to TX MC first thing Tuesday and they didn't even keep it for service but instead had a tech jump right in and start diagnosing the issue. He immediately knew what it was but tested to make sure. Within 30min the problem was fixed. Went ahead and had the bluetooth module installed for my radio while I was there. ;)

Aric'sX15
05-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Tx mc is the best!!!

FoggyNogginz
05-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Wow...completely crazy day. Is this a recall that all Ilmor owners should investigate and replace? Glad that you made it home safely!

XSTAR40
05-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the update regarding the fix. Will have that in the database for future reference. Hope the rest of the season is flawless. At least your boat has seen the water already. I am still waiting for the water to not be ice.

snork
05-08-2014, 01:09 AM
glad all worked out for ya, guys at TX MC/MB will go out of their way for ya,
BTW, are you sure you were talking with the head serv dept Monday morning?

Aric'sX15
05-08-2014, 01:17 AM
Yeah theyre closed mondays. Lol

Yellow X9
05-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Great guys at TX MC- Jeff in the service dept is the best- never any issues

texasjet
05-08-2014, 01:40 AM
The team at TXMC is terrific! They are great to work with and very good folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

St1cky
05-08-2014, 02:41 AM
glad all worked out for ya, guys at TX MC/MB will go out of their way for ya,

Well thanks to you of course. :) Is Jeff not the head guy over there?

St1cky
05-08-2014, 02:59 AM
Wow...completely crazy day. Is this a recall that all Ilmor owners should investigate and replace? Glad that you made it home safely!

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I asked if it was a recall and was told 'no' but there was however a service bulletin about it. Seems as though they're replacing them when/if they fail. If it happens to you on the lake just bypass it, but be aware that this supposedly leaves the ecu and other engine electrical components at risk so one would be wise to head straight to the trailer. Although the other engine electrical components are individually fused so I'm not exactly sure of the risk bypassing the 40amp relay in the event of a failure.

snork
05-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Well thanks to you of course. :) Is Jeff not the head guy over there?

yes, Jeff's the brains behind the service dept

FoggyNogginz
05-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Yeah my thoughts exactly. I asked if it was a recall and was told 'no' but there was however a service bulletin about it. Seems as though they're replacing them when/if they fail. If it happens to you on the lake just bypass it, but be aware that this supposedly leaves the ecu and other engine electrical components at risk so one would be wise to head straight to the trailer. Although the other engine electrical components are individually fused so I'm not exactly sure of the risk bypassing the 40amp relay in the event of a failure.

Good to know. It seems that Indmar and Ilmor both just issue service bulletins, and this forum is the only way that I ever find out about em!! Thanks for the details, and I'll make sure that my wire strippers are in the boat today.

St1cky
05-08-2014, 12:28 PM

yes, Jeff's the brains behind the service dept

Ok then well by your earlier comment you had me confused for a moment. Jeff is definitely da man! You can tell when talking to him that he knows his stuff but also by the way he runs his shop. When I was there Tues talking to several technicians you can tell Jeff has good taste in character and talent. Together all the guys were great and seem to be one hell of a team.

tex
05-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Ok then well by your earlier comment you had me confused for a moment. Jeff is definitely da man! You can tell when talking to him that he knows his stuff but also by the way he runs his shop. When I was there Tues talking to several technicians you can tell Jeff has good taste in character and talent. Together all the guys were great and seem to be one hell of a team.

Jeff rocks....Got to know him well over the years....top notch as a service manager and all around dude! Cares about the customers!