PDA

View Full Version : PP Servo Motor Shot?

CC2MC
05-03-2014, 11:38 PM
I finally made it to the lake with no issues and took the boat out for a cruise. The boat ran well and it was very nice to have a new steering cable and have the speed working on my PP. I did notice that although my speed and RPMs seemed to be working correctly, and the system beeping, indicating that it was engaged, it would not hold a speed. I thought it may have something to do with the paddle wheel, as I just installed a new one, so I tried RPM mode. The RPM mode beeped as well, but would not engage. My only guess is that the servo motor has gone bad, for whatever reason. I know I can get a new one, but I wanted to see if there may be anything else I can check. I did check the connections and went into the test mode and it showed that I had voltage, but I couldn't find anything else of concern.

waterlogged882
05-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Have you set the baseline?
Go back through the instruction book completely and make sure you have all required steps in place for proper operations. Not saying you're off base but suggesting a recheck.

CC2MC
05-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I didn't have my instruction book with me at the time so no. I did get my wife to drive while I sat and watched the servo to see if it was making any adjustments and it wasn't moving at all.

Ajborel@msn.com
05-04-2014, 10:53 AM
When you first turn the key on watch the servo motor it does a tension test you can see it move

Cloaked
05-04-2014, 03:34 PM
When you first turn the key on watch the servo motor it does a tension test you can see it moveThis too ^ ^ ^ ...

If not, manually tension the cable with the knob and make sure it is programmed as to a base as mentioned above.

CC2MC
05-04-2014, 05:24 PM
I will have to do this remotely, (get my dad to do it), since I am not at the lake at the moment. It was working fine before I installed the new paddle wheel.

UPDATE> Dad checked it for me and he said it was buzzing like it was trying to engage, but never would. Mark, from PP said to take the motor apart and try cleaning it and putting some dielectric grease on it as it has a very small tolerance and the smallest thing could lock it up. Hopefully I will be able to get a little more life out of it by doing this.

epnault
05-05-2014, 11:26 PM
They have awesome videos on the perfect pass website to diagnose your problem. Check the tiny set screw on your black knob.

CC2MC
05-06-2014, 12:44 AM
They have awesome videos on the perfect pass website to diagnose your problem. Check the tiny set screw on your black knob.

Thanks for the tip. I will check that.

CC2MC
05-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Set screw was fine. I removed the motor and left it plugged in and turned on the power. It did the same thing as before and acted like it wanted to move but it just clicked. I can easily turn it by hand so I guess something is messed up internally. I have researched to see if there is anywhere else I can get the step motor besides PP and the manufacturer keeps coming up which is Lin Engineering. I called them but got one of the application engineers voice mail. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to get some more life out of this one.

epnault
05-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Before you buy the motor, did you go through PP videos. Those motors are pretty robust.