PDA

View Full Version : For us TMC Addicts

6ballsisall
11-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Hmmm............ for those that can't get enough TMC. Check out this site.

I am thinking my next vehicle will have one of these in there with my Verizon card for internet access. Hi-Speed internet on the road??? Thats way better than just having navigation in your car!!

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/

bcampbe7
11-12-2005, 08:31 PM
I am a member there. Some great information if you are thinking about building a Carputer. :cool:

6ballsisall
11-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I am a member there. Some great information if you are thinking about building a Carputer. :cool:

good to know Beau! I will have to pick your brain when I get closer to doing it. First inclination is to use an old laptop I have and then mount one of this 7" lilliput screens in the car somewhere. THe only problem I see is having a remote on and off button, that might be tough. Can you get a PCMCIA card for a carputer? Was thinking laptop so I could use my PCMCIA Verizon Wireless card for internet access.

erkoehler
11-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Jrandol, how much do you pay per month for the verizon card?

bcampbe7
11-12-2005, 10:23 PM
good to know Beau! I will have to pick your brain when I get closer to doing it. First inclination is to use an old laptop I have and then mount one of this 7" lilliput screens in the car somewhere. THe only problem I see is having a remote on and off button, that might be tough. Can you get a PCMCIA card for a carputer? Was thinking laptop so I could use my PCMCIA Verizon Wireless card for internet access.

While I do not have a carputer (looked into it), I'm pretty sure you can get a PCMCIA slot for a desktop.
I did just get a Garmin GPS receiver and MP3car.com gave me some information on a program to force it to work with MS Street & Trips. :cool:

I now have GPS in the car.

This was going to be my interface:

6ballsisall
11-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Jrandol, how much do you pay per month for the verizon card?

$59.99 unlimited useage. It rocks!

erkoehler
11-12-2005, 11:14 PM
$59.99 unlimited useage. It rocks!

I was thinking about it, but I got wireless setup in the house right now, and I don't think that I travel enough to justify the $60 a month.

bigmac
11-12-2005, 11:17 PM
I have a friend that that's a State Trooper here in Minnesota. We were talking about carputers. He said he'd rather have people drinking and driving than playing with their computer/DVD/navigation system. "At least the drunk drivers are TRYING to drive", he told me...

6ballsisall
11-12-2005, 11:20 PM
I was thinking about it, but I got wireless setup in the house right now, and I don't think that I travel enough to justify the $60 a month.

Your right that wouldn't be worth it for you probably. If you travel some it pays for itself really quick and its convenient as all get out. I've been lost in cities before and whipped out the laptop and card and got directions and found a good restaraunt for dinner all in one shot.

erkoehler
11-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Your right that wouldn't be worth it for you probably. If you travel some it pays for itself really quick and its convenient as all get out. I've been lost in cities before and whipped out the laptop and card and got directions and found a good restaraunt for dinner all in one shot.

The only good thing for me about the card would be that I could use the internet on the way to our cabin up North which is a 6 hour drive.