PDA

View Full Version : pertronix ignitor II ! should i try it again ??

pbgbottle
05-02-2014, 12:59 AM
well here i go again, i am still hooked on having electronic ignition , my buddy wants me to throw them in the garbage ,i just got two new ones on warranty, i killed two in two years
should i try them again? i had bought one and then a backup one . both died

it could of been caused by poor wiring in the boat ,but i don't no , or maybe by a faulty coil
i have a brand new one , flamethrower II epoxy coil only used with these modules . I'm not sure if it is faulty either .i will need to test it , do the epoxy ones fail also ?

should i stuff one back in now that i have fixed my wiring up , or should i just sell them .
also should i maybe try a different coil , maybe a MSD blaster coil , are there any coils made in the USA , I'm not sure i trust my pertronix coil either .it sucks when your boat breaks down 30 kilometers from the nearest dock .it is not very easy to find someone willing to tow u back that far ,we ski on a lake that is boat access only

Bruce Carr
05-02-2014, 09:59 AM
I installed a Pertronix igniter on my '83 close to 20 years ago and it has performed flawlessly to date. I used the stock coil without issue. If I remember correctly, you should bypass the ballast resistor when using the igniter.

abburns
05-02-2014, 10:19 AM
I will be tackling this in the near future. I received the epoxy flamethrower II coil yesterday and still waiting on the module. Hopefully I will not have problems or failures.

JimN
05-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Make sure the grounding for the distributor to the battery negative post is perfect. Not 'pretty good', PERFECT. You should measure no resistance when you test this and 0.9 Ohms ISN'T zero.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Make sure the grounding for the distributor to the battery negative post is perfect. Not 'pretty good', PERFECT. You should measure no resistance when you test this and 0.9 Ohms ISN'T zero.

Jim is right on the money here. A proper ground is the key here.

pbgbottle
05-02-2014, 09:51 PM
OK i will give it a try again . i will test all my wiring ,
test the coil is in spec and test the ground to the distributor is solid
i will dive into this early next week

cheers

pbgbottle
05-06-2014, 10:25 AM
started playing with it yesterday and found good ground at dizzy only thing still i guess i should of checked more carefully after cleaning up my dash wires .but i am still getting 10 volts on the purple wire back at the resistor block and on the carb choke , i am not really wanting to pull the dash again ,Doh! ,one thing i do remember on my harness was the purple wire went from key switch
through the kill switch (which i removed faulty)through the tach through the gauges then i am assuming back to the ignition .does this sound right ,why would it go through the gauges then back to the ignition ,why would they use one purple wire to feed all this ?would the gauges cause the voltage drop I'm seeing , i did not test with engine running yet but battery was testing 12.5 volts and wires on the back of engine junction box tested 12 also , can i jump a wire off the rear of the engine somewhere to send to the coil ,? or even use the purple wire to activate a relay instead and a direct power from the battery or is that an explosion waiting to happen using a relay .

i also removed the buzzer alarm circuit board trying to keep it simple and clean

any more ideas help me lol :D i really want to get this pertronix going
also my flamethrower II secondary resistance was a bit low i thought ,
stock coil like 10,000 , flamethrower i think around 8000 or 9000 I'll have to check it again
to be sure i did email pertronix to find the minimum spec for there coil

any ideas on how to get full voltage to coil/distributor

:toast: cheers

pbgbottle
05-06-2014, 02:21 PM
i think i have it fixed . tiny amount of corrosion I'm assuming . i was messing around the rear of the engine testing everything and while back there i pulled apart the big black plug on the harness near the tranny to test voltage and such back there, plugged it back together and now i have 12 volts at the coil ,yippee

battery testing 12.96v
wire at coil -choke 12.79v

i hope it is fixed ...:D

pbgbottle
05-06-2014, 02:22 PM
now tomorrow i will try to install the pertronix ,I'm done for today

thatsmrmastercraft
05-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Those wiring harness plugs can be a problem. I have dealt with that on my boat.

pbgbottle
05-07-2014, 03:17 PM
OK i got it in and running the issue was the flamethrower II coil ,man i spent the last 4 hrs trying to figure out why i couldn't get the timing and why it was sputtering and burping so bad i was getting pissed couldn't keep it running ,took a break ,
came back and decided to changed the coil .
i left the igniter II in there and put the old coil back in turn the key and she came to life and purred like a kitten ,
cool happy now just need to lake test it .

i did reset the timing also .

one issue tho i need a new coil the one i am using i just found out has a stripped post .
it will do for the meantime ,but i need a spare anyway so i need a new one .
what is the recommend stock replacement ?
or is there some aftermarket decent quality one out there

oh ya i am still using the resistor block for the coil and the igniter is getting the full voltage from the bottom of the resistor block

or should i look for a hot coil and see if it runs any better
and take full advantage of the ignitor II

i hope my luck has finally changed with these things . :D

cool thing tho is the points plate
will drop right back in i just tried it and my dwell was still right on .
so it doesn't take very long to swap back in the points ..

any suggestions for a replacement coil ????

thatsmrmastercraft
05-07-2014, 04:19 PM
The Flamethrower II is the correct coil to use with the Ignitor II ignition.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/45000_volt.aspx

pbgbottle
05-07-2014, 04:43 PM
ya i know but i was wondering what else others have used .

mine was the 45111 epoxy one i used it 4 times and it cooked itself the last time my boat ran properly with the flamethrower was when it died , i remember touching the coil and it was almost on fire . i guess that's when it really started to die . so I'm down one module and one coil all from pertronix . maybe there oil filled one will do better .

i was just wanting to try another brand or a stock replacement
and was wondering what others have used .

i was reading my warranty returns test results of the two i sent back actually one tested good still other failed on power transistor ,they still sent me two new ones in sealed boxes :D .

cause of failure is 1 of 4 things

1. your coil may have too low of primary resistance or a shorted winding
2. ignition switch may have been left in the on position for an extended period of time without engine running
3. reverse polarity may have been applied to either the coil and or ignitor module
4. an abnormally high level of voltage as a result of a charging system failure or disconnected battery while engine was operating

mine died right after i blasted down the lake for about 5 mins full throttle and then shut her down to float and eat lunch 15 min later went to start and she was dead .
i'm assuming it was my coil now that killed everything

my second module must of been fine but i could never get it to run right with my now assuming damaged flamethrower II coil ,i thought it was the ignitors frying but with one still passing quality control and me having two new warranty ones in my hand i had to figure it out . anyways i was thinking of trying another brand of coil that's all .

//..

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-07-2014, 06:45 PM
I have used msd blaster II coil on my boat and other projects and never had one fail. But then again I refuse to use anything petronix ...ymmv...

pbgbottle
09-02-2014, 12:08 PM
small bump for the day .
my Pertronix igniter II is still working fine
only difference from how Pertronix said to do it was to use
there hot coil which the coil failed (epoxy )
so i am now still running with the 26 year old coil and resistor block and ignitor wired after resistor block to maintain a constant 12 volt . ,boat runs like a top

i tried this because i found literature from pertronix that said the ignitor II can be used with a coil resistance from 0.45 ohm to 4.5 ohm so what the heck
i went back to the oem stuff and setup just replacing the points all works fine

it seems most of my headaches where caused by some previous low voltage issue
and a crappy coil from pertronix
my spare coil also is a Napa echin IC12

cheers i am very happy with my ignitor II this time around .:D