PDA

View Full Version : Boat hitting trailer crossmember

psbudz
04-29-2014, 03:10 PM
I noticed some pretty wonderful chunks taken out of the gelcoat on the front spine/ridge of my hull up near the front crossmember of my trailer. The boat is a 2006 220 VRS and when on the trailer it only has about an inch or so of clearance above the crossmember. It is definitely happening during launch and/or pulling it out. Getting this baot on the trailer without hitting the front crossmember is very tricky as the trailer needs to be at just the right angle to get it to power up until it engages the trailer buddy. Sure you can my novice launchin skills, but my take is that the trailer should be designed so that the boat NEVER EVER hits the crossmember.

Anyone else have this problem? My solution to keep this from happening is to weld a bracket on the crossmember to hold a roller to keep the boat from hitting the crossmember. High enough to keep it from hitting the x-member but low enough so that the roller isn't touching the boat when in position.

Recomendations for a reputable gelcoat repair shop in Columbus, OH?

Stay tuned for pics.

KnoxX2
04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
I would say your first step is to look at your trailer bunks with the boat off the trailer. Something tells me that this has not been happening since 2006!

blackhawk
04-29-2014, 04:01 PM
psbudz- I have a 2006 X15. I believe that we have the same hull. My boat sits on my trailer exactly as you describe. I measured and I have less than 3/4" of clearance between my keel and front crossmember. The PO of my boat had hit this crossmember several times before while loading the boat. I just finished repairing the gelcoat that was chipped off on the keel.

I added a 10" or 12" roller on the crossmember just like you mention. I set it about 1/4" higher than the crossmember. I bought some stainless shaft material and a short piece of 1/4" thick stainless angle. I just drilled and tapped the frame and bolted the angle brackets on. I will take a picture this weekend and post it.

I used to power load my old I/O on the trailer. With the X15, I just drive it up to the rear of the trailer. Then I jump out off the bow onto the back of the trailer and just walk it up. Takes extra time, but fixing that gelcoat was a supreme PITA. I don't want to take anymore chances.

I gauge the trailer depth for unload on the point where I see the boat just barely start to float off the very front keel pads. Then I use this same depth to load. I pull out very slow and steady to ease the boat down onto the bunks. My son also helps by sitting on the sun pad and holding the back end of the boat straight by grabbing the guide poles.

I agree that Mastercraft should have bent that crossmember down at least another inch.

Jc5229
04-29-2014, 04:16 PM
I added a roller to replace the poly keel guard on mine just cut two pieces of flat steel and cut holes in them and had them coming up at an angle. Then on the rod for the roller put the cap on one end and drill a hole and put a cotter pin in it for easy replacement.

psbudz
05-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Damge that the trailer caused to my boat. Great job on the trailer MasterCraft! But then again MasterCraft isn't know for their trailers are they?

psbudz
05-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Knox, I don't know what happened with the previois owner(s). There is nothing wrong with the bunks. It is simply a piss poor design. Shame on MC for the lack of attention to detail.

curver900
05-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Damge that the trailer caused to my boat. Great job on the trailer MasterCraft! But then again MasterCraft isn't know for their trailers are they?

wholly crap!!! that is terrible...

psbudz
05-22-2014, 01:39 PM
It looks as bad as it does from multiple hits. I didn't notice until this spring when I puuled it out of storage. At first I thought it migh have been from hitting debris in the river but when I launched it and saw that it was hittling I realized the damage was caused by the trailer when loading and unloading. Wish I would have noticed sooner. But then again why would one think to look? The natuall assumption is that the trailer should be desinged to NEVER come in contact with the baot except where intended.

curver900
05-22-2014, 01:46 PM
It looks as bad as it does from multiple hits. I didn't notice until this spring when I puuled it out of storage. At first I thought it migh have been from hitting debris in the river but when I launched it and saw that it was hittling I realized the damage was caused by the trailer when loading and unloading. Wish I would have noticed sooner. But then again why would one think to look? The natuall assumption is that the trailer should be desinged to NEVER come in contact with the baot except where intended.

can you raise the bunks up? maybe add another 2x6? just curious not sure that would work or not...

psbudz
05-22-2014, 01:55 PM
can you raise the bunks up? maybe add another 2x6? just curious not sure that would work or not...

I'm not sure whether that would help. It has to do with the angle of the boat relative to the trailer. If it's within a certain window, no problem. If not : CRACK!

I believe the best solution would be to mount rollers slightly above the crossmember.

CC2MC
05-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Ouch! I can sympathize with you there. I had similar damage to my last boat and since then I have been very cautious when it comes to loading my trailer. Get the Spectrum patch kit from iboats.com and that should fix you right up. Good luck!

06MCX15
05-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Buddy, I feel your pain! I have an 06 X15, and the same thing has happened to me twice now. Laying on your back and gelcoating / sanding / polishing really sucks. I know very carefully walk my boat on and off the trailer. I have also zip tied some foam bumpers at the low points on the trailer to avoid a collision in the event that it makes contact with the boat.

In the end, it is a poor design that you have to fix if you dont want to be sanding and polishing every year.....

psbudz
05-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Something like this would help but this design wont work for my trailer: http://www.pacifictrailers.com/trailer-keel-bump-pad-for-C-channel-steel-trailer-cross-members-56799/

06MCX15
05-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Actually, I had a dealer tell me to jack up the bunks on the trailer if you dont have garage height issues to deal with. However:

1) I have garage height issues.

2) Putting "jack plates" under the bunks will cause the bunks to come closer together, thus changing the support points on the boat. You would have to do some calculating to make sure you just raise the bunks. Would be pretty tricky.

Ramp-N-Clamp
05-22-2014, 03:14 PM
If you are going to add a pad please use a Stoltz. Best cut resistant material we found.

http://stoltzind.com/photos/

Thanks,
RNC

thatsmrmastercraft
05-22-2014, 03:19 PM
If you are going to add a pad please use a Stoltz. Best cut resistant material we found.

http://stoltzind.com/photos/

Thanks,
RNC

Great link. I had no idea they have such a wide variety of products.

blackhawk
05-26-2014, 09:55 PM
psbudz - As promised, here are a couple of pics of the roller that I added to my crossmember. I bought the roller from Overton's. It is a Stoltz roller. I got the stainless steel shaft and brackets from McMaster-Carr. I just bought a blank piece of angle and I cut into in two and then drilled the holes myself. I also machined the ends of the Stoltz roller a little on the ends so the ends wouldn't stick up as high. I just drilled and tapped the frame on the one side for the 1/4-20 bolts.

Aric'sX15
05-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Never had a single issue with my x15 trailer, so dont think its a design error from MC.

psbudz
05-27-2014, 07:56 AM
psbudz - As promised, here are a couple of pics of the roller that I added to my crossmember. I bought the roller from Overton's. It is a Stoltz roller. I got the stainless steel shaft and brackets from McMaster-Carr. I just bought a blank piece of angle and I cut into in two and then drilled the holes myself. I also machined the ends of the Stoltz roller a little on the ends so the ends wouldn't stick up as high. I just drilled and tapped the frame on the one side for the 1/4-20 bolts.

This looks like the only solution. "Being careful" is not really a solution, as the one time that you are not, it'll be another drain on the wallet.

psbudz
05-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Never had a single issue with my x15 trailer, so dont think its a design error from MC.

Glad to hear that you haven't had a problem. Care to swap dimensions? What about the ramp you use? What angel is it at? How deep is the trailer in the water when launching and loading? Do you walk it up or power it up? What is the length of your boat? How much clearance do you have between the boat and crossmember?

Ill tell you what: after I get the damage repaired, you come over to where I launch my boat and you unload and load it. If there is damge to the keel from the boat hitting the crossmember you pay for it. Deal?

Regardless of ones boat and trailer combo, shouldn't it be obvious to anyone that the boat should NEVER hit the crossmember?

06MCX15
05-28-2014, 10:30 PM
This is a great idea! I'm gonna do the same. Thanks for the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aric'sX15
05-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Glad to hear that you haven't had a problem. Care to swap dimensions? What about the ramp you use? What angel is it at? How deep is the trailer in the water when launching and loading? Do you walk it up or power it up? What is the length of your boat? How much clearance do you have between the boat and crossmember?

Ill tell you what: after I get the damage repaired, you come over to where I launch my boat and you unload and load it. If there is damge to the keel from the boat hitting the crossmember you pay for it. Deal?

Regardless of ones boat and trailer combo, shouldn't it be obvious to anyone that the boat should NEVER hit the crossmember?

we had the same boat.. lol so same length as yours. if you launch at to steep of a ramp I can see this happening. I used many different ramps during the ownership of the boat and never had an issue. in fact, the new owner is a member here. Im sure he can vouch for that.

psbudz
05-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Do you power your boat up the trailer or do you walk it up? The ramps I've used are not steep at all.

Best thing to do is to mount a roller.