PDA

View Full Version : Nyc

LakePirate
11-10-2005, 08:42 PM
So I got a job offer in NYC. Being the good southern boy that I am, I have no earthly idea if there is any skiing near the city. Does anyone know what if any lakes are near the city or are there any lakes on one of the commuter train lines? I have done some searching online, but local knowledge trumps all.

juju151
11-10-2005, 09:03 PM
So I got a job offer in NYC.

NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!

Man!, it better be a GOOD, and I mean a GOOOOOOOD offer!!!

Remember the cost of living up there is WAY more than here too!!!

You don't really want to live up there in all that stuff, do you?

Besides, they don't treat us southern boys too good up there.

milkmania
11-10-2005, 09:12 PM
So I got a job offer in NYC. Being the good southern boy that I am, I have no earthly idea if there is any skiing near the city. Does anyone know what if any lakes are near the city or are there any lakes on one of the commuter train lines? I have done some searching online, but local knowledge trumps all.

I seem to recall the Statue of Liberty is near the water:confused:

*edit:
I used googleearth, and there's water everywhere!!!
shows lots of boats in the water too

*edit #2.....
it's gonna be saltwater:(

LakePirate
11-10-2005, 09:42 PM
NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!

Man!, it better be a GOOD, and I mean a GOOOOOOOD offer!!!

Remember the cost of living up there is WAY more than here too!!!

You don't really want to live up there in all that stuff, do you?

Besides, they don't treat us southern boys too good up there.

I am doing the math on that now. It dosen't look to good. Getting several different cost of living numbers.

The offer is a lot of potential, plus Park Avenue on the resume is a bit better than Peachtree Street (as much as I hate to admit it)

Milk - Can you say closed cooling?

Even in Flushing (where they had the MC event) is salt water. :(

juju151
11-10-2005, 09:48 PM
there's water everywhere!!!
shows lots of boats in the water too...it's gonna be saltwater

Hmmm...

Lot's of water = Good
Lots of boats = Rough water = Not good
Temp of water = Probably Not Good
Months of the year able to ski = Probably Not Good Either
Saltwater = Bad!

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it, or anything. Just joking with ya...I know what you mean about the resume, but man!...please be sure...think about it! :twocents:

bcampbe7
11-10-2005, 09:50 PM
I just did a cost of living comparison for Macon vs. New York City on salary.com.

This is a quote from the site:
The cost of living in New York, NY is 105.8% higher than in Macon, GA!

The problem is that (another quote):

Employers in New York, NY typically pay 23.5% more than employers in Macon, GA.

milkmania
11-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Hmmm...

Lot's of water = Good
Lots of boats = Rough water = Not good
Temp of water = Probably Not Good
Months of the year able to ski = Probably Not Good Either
Saltwater = Bad!

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it, or anything. Just joking with ya...I know what you mean about the resume, but man!...please be sure...think about it! :twocents:

I guess we could always gather up a posse and go up there and save his a**;)

LakePirate
11-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Well the salary increase would be a lateral move for me. However, the kicker is that the wife is able to work from anywhere and she is getting paid an Atlanta salary, so it would cost us money initially. But the possibility of a huge salary in about 2 years is pretty good.

shepherd
11-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Personally, they couldn't pay me enough to live in NYC (well, if it was in the 7 figures... :rolleyes: ). I'm an attorney, and there's potential to earn some big bucks in NY, but it's a quality of life issue. I guess I'd rather spend my hours after work on the lake than packed on a subway trying to get home after a 12 hour work day...

erkoehler
11-11-2005, 12:51 AM

Hey, on a positive note, you could take up snowmobiling! :D On a not so positive note, you can't really ski year around. :mad:

sizzler
11-11-2005, 05:38 AM
Personally, they couldn't pay me enough to live in NYC (well, if it was in the 7 figures... :rolleyes: ). I'm an attorney, and there's potential to earn some big bucks in NY, but it's a quality of life issue. I guess I'd rather spend my hours after work on the lake than packed on a subway trying to get home after a 12 hour work day...

i hear ya :worthy:

i just dont take heed......man i love those packed commuter trains :vomit:

BriEOD
11-11-2005, 06:02 AM
I'm with Shep. Trump himself with have to call me and offer me a job and a place to live in his tower. I visited their on a buisness trip a few years ago and that place is nuts. Don't bother taking your truck.

sizzler
11-11-2005, 07:06 AM
ive visited NYC on numerous occasions thru work.....i would never want to live there tho.....great party town .......i always neeed a week to recover

you would not want to drive there.....

shepherd
11-11-2005, 09:21 AM
I've been there for a couple 4 day conferences... It's a really cool place and we had lots of fun, but by the 4th day I was ready to get the hell out :cool:

mitch
11-11-2005, 09:33 AM
If I was single and a non-home owner, I think living in NYC would rock! Love going to the boat show there and partying in Manhatten for the weekend, *but* would never consider living there w/ my fam.

LakePirate
11-11-2005, 09:37 AM
We are looking at the suburbs, so fun fun on the commuter train. I was looking at a suburban parked on the side of Park Ave on Wednesday and it was trashed. Dents and scratches everywhere. Don't think that the avalanche will make it into the city to very often. Don't have any kids so not really worried about schools and such, but I do have a dog, and he is large and loud. For some reason a Blue Tick Coon Hound and Manhattan don't seem to go hand and hand.

This is probably one of the toughest decisions that I will be faced with (at least in the next 15 minutes or so.)

richardsoncd
11-11-2005, 09:56 AM
A homegrown Georgia boy in the big city :eek: You do realize they don't eat grits up there, and the tea is warm and bitter. Besides you can't take off for NYC before we meet up and do some skiing on Oconee or Lanier!!!

I do realize you are married, but don't forget about all these sweet Georgia Peaches....I'm not a horticulture professor but I do know you can't grow a peach in the snow.

tall_ andy
11-11-2005, 10:38 AM
NYC and the surrounding Jersey areas CAN be very nice if you are willing to look around and commute in.
I am in central jersey and my wife used to commute into midtown each day.(about 1 1/2 hrs each way) I keep the boat on the water all summer about 30 mins from the house, its a small lake with a course, and about 15 skiers that use it. Housing martet up here still pretty steep.

lakes Rick
11-11-2005, 10:53 AM
NYC and the surrounding Jersey areas CAN be very nice if you are willing to look around and commute in.
I am in central jersey and my wife used to commute into midtown each day.(about 1 1/2 hrs each way) I keep the boat on the water all summer about 30 mins from the house, its a small lake with a course, and about 15 skiers that use it. Housing martet up here still pretty steep.

ONLY 1 1/2 hrs EACH way...... NO thanks.. That is not living that is surviving.....

Datdude
11-11-2005, 11:06 AM

I agree, I went to college at Rutgers in New Brunswick, NJ and had the pleasure of traveling around Central and North New jersey and came across some neat areas(especially the hills in north Jersey). The problem I see is housing costs are astronomical. In 1999 we were paying $2600 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment in Dayton, NJ and it was a decent place, but not fancy. Maybe you could find a nice fixer-upper in Newark for a good price? :uglyhamme The benefit to that is Newark is nice and close to NYC :D

LakePirate
11-11-2005, 11:13 AM
If memory serves wasn't Newark the car jack capital of the world at one point?

juju151
11-15-2005, 11:19 AM
So I got a job offer in NYC.

So what's the scoop?

I take it that you're gonna stay a rebel and not turn into a yankee, right? :D

Datdude
11-15-2005, 11:27 AM
If memory serves wasn't Newark the car jack capital of the world at one point?

I could see where that is a possibility. Newark beats out Gary, Indiana in my ranking of "Biggest Armpit In America". My roomate at Rutgers picked me up at Newark airport and instead of taking the turnpike back to New Brunswick we took a "shortcut" through the heart of Newark at 10pm....NOT a fun trip :uglyhamme

LakePirate
11-15-2005, 11:33 AM
So what's the scoop?

I take it that you're gonna stay a rebel and not turn into a yankee, right? :D

It is looking that way.....If someone would offer me a job in Atlanta it would make it a much easier decision...:D

east tx skier
11-15-2005, 11:40 AM
I love NYC, but usually start to feel claustrophobic after about a week there. Jump all over it! Pad the resume! Have fun! And in a couple of years, start looking for some green pastures again (if you can tear yourself away at that point). Cost of living is ridiculous in the city, but live outside and take the train to/from and maybe save a few bucks (most likely not). It beats sitting in traffic like you would in most other cities.

I still laugh at my cousin, who paid $2,500 per month for 275 sq ft. on the upper west side and loved every minute of it.

If I were in my late 20s and had that opportunity, I'd jump all over it. You only live once.

M-Funf
11-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Jump all over it! Pad the resume! Have fun! And in a couple of years, start looking for some green pastures again (if you can tear yourself away at that point). Cost of living is ridiculous in the city, but live outside and take the train to/from and maybe save a few bucks (most likely not). It beats sitting in traffic like you would in most other cities.

What he said...

In '96, I packed up and moved to Paris for two years. Best thing I ever did. Yeah, the cost of living was high. Yes, it was a big crowded smoggy city (and yes, Parisiens are not the most friendly people). But, if I had the chance now, I'd do it again.

Going from lower cost of living to higher, you can always return...the other way is more difficult...

You say that there's great potential in 2 years...try to get them to commit to that. Get them to agree to goals in the first 2 years. If you meet the goals, you get the gold, get it? It's worth a try...

Ron Grover
11-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Had a job once where I had to commute to Fulton NY, 40 miles north of Syracuse for 2.5 months. I realize this is not NYC, but I was asked to relocate to Fulton from KC area. Begin to check it out. Besides the cold and snow there are some very distinct differences in NY from the rest of the country.

Taxes, buying a house was a joke. I looked around to try and find something comparable to what I have in KC. At least twice as much money and the taxes on a house comparable was over $13,000 a year compared to $2100 in KC.

Autos, every car I saw was beat up or rusted out due to Fulton being in the snow belt off Lake Ontario. People working for me said realistically a car was good for 5 years due to that "liquid salt" they used to make roads passable in winter.

Snow, in Fulton area not uncommon to have snow on Halloween and Mothers Day. Any time in between snow is a given. I don't want to be anywhere they sell 10 hp snowblowers in the center ailse of K-Mart. (i saw that first hand in October up there) Snowfall in that area could be 250" a year.

Family, I had a wife and family. Dramatic difference for them culturally. The job offered was very lucrative and would have been challenging for me, however wife and family would have been on their own for a time being.

I wound up not taking the position. It was a position with teh company I worked for at the time. They got someone from Tennessee to take job, he left the company in one year after taking job and went to Atlanta. I spoke to him when he was leaving and he said it was just too dramatic change for him and family. Wife told him move back to south or she was going without him.

Just my $.02 Everybody situation different.

Ron

Ric
11-15-2005, 01:35 PM
It is looking that way.....If someone would offer me a job in Atlanta it would make it a much easier decision...:D
you gonna be a city boy.
get rid of the boat, the truck and most of your furniture. Get some sensible shoes and scream at everyone who walks or drives by you for the next few months and you'll be ready pal :woohoo:

maristarman
11-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Last time I checked skis still floated in salt water.

I grew up in NY and even 30 years ago people were driving MCs and SNs in salt water.

Someone on here was complaining about property taxes. That depends on which county you live in.

For example, out on Long Island, Suffolk County taxes are significantly lower than Nassau County taxes.

Regarding commuting. Public transportation (provided you can get a seat) is a lot more relaxing than sitting in traffic in the car.

Of course, if you're going from no commute/no traffic to public transit, that can be a big shock to your system.

As a few of these guys have said. Think long term. If this opportunity will help advance your career later on, then it may not be a bad thing.

Of course, you gotta get the wife to buy in on whatever decision you make, otherwise your life will be miserable, no matter where you're living.

LakePirate
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
We are definitely looking at the 'Burbs. The wife is cool with whatever.

If I run the MC in Saltwater I can't sell it to Erkle later. :D

When you say public transportation are you referring to the commuter trains?

I did that whole deal for a while in Atlanta...going to work wasn't bad (got on at the end of the line) but coming home pretty much meant standing up for 45 minutes.

maristarman
11-15-2005, 05:41 PM
We are definitely looking at the 'Burbs. The wife is cool with whatever.

If I run the MC in Saltwater I can't sell it to Erkle later. :D

Thats funny, I don't care who you are. :uglyhamme

When you say public transportation are you referring to the commuter trains?

I did that whole deal for a while in Atlanta...going to work wasn't bad (got on at the end of the line) but coming home pretty much meant standing up for 45 minutes.
Check your PM.

pflcjl
11-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Try Bantam Lake in Litchfield, CT. Best Ski and Party Lake in the Northeast!