PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable replacement 2000 PS205?

mitch
11-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Folks, Just rec'd my new cable and am hearing a few different opinions on the easiest way to replace this. Wanted to get some thoughts. Am hearing tie the old to the new and pull it thru, and tie the old to a nylon rope, pull it thru and use the rope to pull the new one thru. Pull from the front or rear?? Any other pitfalls suggestions etc. Any idea how long it'll take? I can change impeller, oil, and plugs and that's as technical as I have gotton on my MC's. Thanks much for any help!

88 PS190
11-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I did one on a non mastercraft, and used the old one securely taped to the new one end to end. I pulled it from the engine to the front but that was because the boat made it difficult to tape the other end under the dash.

Advantages of the end to end method, cable does not get thick anywhere specifically around it, and your tape can be tapered to not snag.

I would not do the rope because it is flimsy, and will not suspend through a gap, and has the possibility of snagging because it is a rope. If you run the cable through w/ the old it follows the same path. and is just better.

Only pitfall that would occur to me is to have a tape failure, thereby having to pull alot more off the boat to run your stuff (of course on the MC you might have more luck, the IO i was doing it on i'd have to have pulled the skins off. In order to prevent failure clean any oil off the area to be taped so there is no greasy residue. Then tape w/ electrical tape starteing well in advance of the gap, butting the cables end to end, then tape w/ overlapping loops down and pass the gap and down the other. Then retape to ensure that there is a smooth transition, no gaps and no depressings, if there are lumps make it streamlined past the lump.

and that's about all, pull slow and smooth, if you get caugt back up and try again

Ric
11-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Folks, Just rec'd my new cable and am hearing a few different opinions on the easiest way to replace this. Wanted to get some thoughts. Am hearing tie the old to the new and pull it thru, and tie the old to a nylon rope, pull it thru and use the rope to pull the new one thru. Pull from the front or rear?? Any other pitfalls suggestions etc. Any idea how long it'll take? I can change impeller, oil, and plugs and that's as technical as I have gotton on my MC's. Thanks much for any help!
That is one project I wouldn't be ashamed to pay a dealer to do :o

mitch
11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Took about 3 hours. PITA, but it sure is smooooooooth now. Had to actually check and see if the rudder was really moving :D