PDA

View Full Version : Starter Issues

Greenwood87
04-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Ok I have had a recurring problem that I can duplicate on my Tristar 190. Every now and then my starter hangs up and keeps turning over. The problem first occurred and destroyed the starter gear while going down the lake. I have replaced the starter, ignition switch, solenoid, and power and ground cables. It has happened several random times. I placed a battery disconnect between the starter and solenoid (also to prevent theft) and remove the key after starting. I have replaced the solenoid two time, however it keeps happening while starting every once and a while. I can never get it to duplicate the problem, any suggestions?

curver900
04-16-2014, 01:02 PM
check the teeth on the flywheel??? hanging up on there? or is it staying "engaged" as in trying to keep starting the boat? If the latter not sure, maybe someone else has experinced that...

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2014, 01:12 PM
This is usually a result of low voltage/high resistance. The contacts inside the solenoid weld themselves together. I would check out your battery and your alternator.

cruiser
04-16-2014, 04:49 PM
So true Peter, the higher the voltage the lower the amperage, thus low voltage or poor connection the higher resistance.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2014, 05:01 PM
So true Peter, the higher the voltage the lower the amperage, thus low voltage or poor connection the higher resistance.

So easy to have this happen when everything is working properly by simply trying to start the engine on a battery that is very low on charge - either from an engine that won't start or a stereo that was played too long. Then we blame the solenoid when we should blame ourselves.

TRBenj
04-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Every time I have seen this happen, it was with a battery that was a bit low on juice, and the battery was a (deep cycle) marine battery. Never seen it happen with a fully charged proper starting battery.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Every time I have seen this happen, it was with a battery that was a bit low on juice, and the battery was a (deep cycle) marine battery. Never seen it happen with a fully charged proper starting battery.

Key word being fully charged.

StudLEE
04-24-2014, 10:40 PM
I had this exact same problem happen to me twice in 2012 in our 88 Tristar 190. After the first time, had the starter rebuilt and a new solenoid put in. Then it happened again 2 weeks later. Had the starter rebuilt again, new solenoid, and also a new ignition switch put in. We put maybe 5 more hrs on in 2012 an maybe 30 hrs on in 2013 and it's never happened again. Good luck!