PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot Wetsuit

epnault
04-12-2014, 06:51 AM
I am looking for some advice on purchasing my first barefoot wetsuit. I learned how to barefoot last year and fell in love. I have given up on the used markert. I know I want no sleave and short leg but what is the best brand and fit?

Cloaked
04-12-2014, 07:03 AM
I am looking for some advice on purchasing my first barefoot wetsuit. I learned how to barefoot last year and fell in love. I have given up on the used markert. I know I want no sleave and short leg but what is the best brand and fit?
Basically boils down to two. Eagle and International. I have the BI and had I to do it over, I'd buy an Eagle. They fit much better and are on-and-off much easier due to the cut of the fit. I have a sleeveless shortie with leg cinches and a front zipper. Don't bother with the (recommended) shorts to go with the suit. It's a sales pitch and a wad of unnecessary material in your crotch....Not much room to dicker on finding a better price. It's a small market niche and they have it down to + / - $20 or less on retail sales. Did I mention Eagle?

A new suit will enhance the experience to another enjoyable level. Glad I had the good fortune to acquire one.

$0.02

epnault
04-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Basically boils down to two. Eagle and International. I have the BI and had I to do it over, I'd buy an Eagle. They fit much better and are on-and-off much easier due to the cut of the fit. I have a sleeveless shortie with leg cinches and a front zipper. Don't bother with the (recommended) shorts to go with the suit. It's a sales pitch and a wad of unnecessary material in your crotch....Not much room to dicker on finding a better price. It's a small market niche and they have it down to + / - $20 or less on retail sales. Did I mention Eagle?

A new suit will enhance the experience to another enjoyable level. Glad I had the good fortune to acquire one.

$0.02

Thanks.

TRBenj
04-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Bi's are well built and wear like iron... But they're known to be stiff and take a while to break in (could be years depending on frequency of use). Style is a personal preference but bi is a bit more conservative.

Have had good luck with eagles holding up, and I prefer the improved flexibility over the bi.

Can't agree with the "skip the shorts" argument, I'd say the exact opposite- they're absolutely necessary. Especially when you're a newbie who is likely to be spending a fair amount of time on your butt. Maybe you can skip them with the BI suits, but not the eagles. Id recommend the thinner of the 2 short options, or at the very least some non-padded neoprene shorts under the suit.

Double D
04-12-2014, 02:23 PM
I bought mine last April from this guy. He was on the ball, got one ordered because he didn't have my SIZE in stock, and it was a good price. Paid $270 through EBAY. I love the suit!!

Dennis Stamis
QMDJ Enterprises
21 Treemont Dr
Malvern, PA.
610-648-0768
484-639-7049 Cell
dennis@netsurfmall.com

www.barefootskiandwake.com

EricB
04-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Eric;
Check out Lake Elmo Watersports (www.lakeelmosports.com). They are located in Burnsville (not Lake Elmo...go figure)... Anyway, I got my footin' suit from them. They have good stock and prices.

epnault
04-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Cool. Thanks. Like to support the local guys

epnault
04-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Eric;
Check out Lake Elmo Watersports (www.lakeelmosports.com). They are located in Burnsville (not Lake Elmo...go figure)... Anyway, I got my footin' suit from them. They have good stock and prices.

EricB. What brand and model are you running?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-13-2014, 07:33 PM
I'll echo Tim's thoughts on the padded shorts - wear them along with a barefoot suit. If you start learning with them, you'll be more likely to get comfortable riding your butt for a while rather than creating a bad habit of rushing to stand up. They will also help when you start working on things like tumble turns. With any amount of prolonged sliding on your rear, you can give yourself some nasty bruises that will make it tough to sit. The padded shorts will help you avoid that pain in the posterior....

CruisinGA
04-13-2014, 08:02 PM
I have the BI suit and shorts. I wear the shorts unless I am wearing my 3/2 full wetsuit underneath in the early spring/late fall.

Happy with my suit. It does seem to be very well built, 2 seasons with lots of use and you can't tell. A buddy of mine did tear up the zipper. I sent it in and had it repaired by the mfg.

EricB
04-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Eric;
I don't remember. Name brand and I got it 2 yrs ago from Elmo. I'll look when I up at the cabin next time but (as you know) we won't be skiing anytime soon...

Jerseydave
04-14-2014, 05:58 AM
I bought mine last April from this guy. He was on the ball, got one ordered because he didn't have my SIZE in stock, and it was a good price. Paid $270 through EBAY. I love the suit!!

Dennis Stamis
QMDJ Enterprises
21 Treemont Dr
Malvern, PA.
610-648-0768
484-639-7049 Cell
dennis@netsurfmall.com

www.barefootskiandwake.com

I have to put in a plug for Dennis as well, great guy to deal with and Eagle suits fit great. I have a bird-of-prey suit that I love. Give Dennis a call, he'll hook you up.