https://vimeo.com/91571127

Well he almost made it.

mikeg205
04-10-2014, 12:58 AM
Keep working it! Awesome

TSchimizzi
04-10-2014, 07:29 AM
A couple tips and he should be nailing it soon:

-Cut into the wake faster, a backroll is all about momentum. He appears to be going pretty far outside the wake then cutting back in which isn't necessary. I like to go 10-15 feet out and build up speed quickly which helps you stay on edge through the roll.

-Tuck your right elbow to your left knee and look over your left shoulder just off the lip of the wake and you'll start the rotation sooner

-keep the rope as close to your waist as possible. The tighter it is to your body the faster you will rotate.

Tell him to keep trying, landing your first invert is a great feeling!

snork
04-10-2014, 08:56 AM
That's a great attempt, get the initiation crashes done then start riding them away
#1Approach is too far from the wake, he should have plenty of speed with no more than 15-20' from the wake plus shorter approach will help with line tension
#2 He's not standing tall off the wake, all his air/height is absorbed because he's squatting on the takeoff
#3 Slight tug on the handle when inverted will help with rotation
theres #4,5 and 6 but start with these first 3

MI_Corey
04-10-2014, 08:59 AM
As mentioned above he doesn't have enough edge at the wake. On backrolls I like to come in pretty mellow and then really lay in to the edge when I get to the trough of the wake. When you do that it pretty much kicks it around for you. Then you can control the rotation by letting the rope out to slow the rotation or pulling it in to speed it up. The good thing is he's not trying to initiate the rotation too early and not getting any pop like most people (including me) try to do when learning them. It's a cool feeling trick though because it's all about the edge in to it. If you do that right, the trick happens on it's own.

Ryan
04-10-2014, 11:18 AM
TSchimizzi - I'm going to try that second bullet point. I really want to pull this off.

Dang, I can't wait for this summer. It was so fun to watch my son be thrilled from trying to barefoot, slalom, go wake to wake, surface slides and an aerial 180 all for the first time.

SKIBUMM
04-10-2014, 12:56 PM
That's a great attempt, get the initiation crashes done then start riding them away
#1Approach is too far from the wake, he should have plenty of speed with no more than 15-20' from the wake plus shorter approach will help with line tension
#2 He's not standing tall off the wake, all his air/height is absorbed because he's squatting on the takeoff
#3 Slight tug on the handle when inverted will help with rotation
theres #4,5 and 6 but start with these first 3

#2 is the key for him at this point IMHO. he could work on the other two but until he not absorbing he will spin too slow and get too little air.

GoneBoatN
04-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Yep, #2 and #3 were the my first thoughts as well. He clearly comes off edge going into the wake by watching the spray dissipate. Also the rotation seemed to slow at the end and my guess is that he let the rope out when trying to spot the landing - that is hard to see because of being back lit by the sun, but you can see the line tension go away.

Lots of credit to him for going for it!

I'll pass on the comments and I'm sure he will appreciated them, so thanks in advance from my son.

Looking forward to getting back out sooooooon..... :)

blackhawk
04-10-2014, 09:52 PM
For a first attempt, I say that was pretty darn good.

sp00ky
04-11-2014, 12:11 AM
I'd say he's a little too crouched he should stand tall, get the rope handle down, and more edge edge edge. Body position at beginning of roll is exactly how you will end up.

He looks good and looks like he doesn't have any fear. Just need to edge and try to rush it.

Good job. Cut looks good maybe slow it down and don't flatten out at the wake. Progressive edge so it acts like a whip.

sp00ky
04-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Yep, #2 and #3 were the my first thoughts as well. He clearly comes off edge going into the wake by watching the spray dissipate. Also the rotation seemed to slow at the end and my guess is that he let the rope out when trying to spot the landing - that is hard to see because of being back lit by the sun, but you can see the line tension go away.

Lots of credit to him for going for it!

I'll pass on the comments and I'm sure he will appreciated them, so thanks in advance from my son.

Looking forward to getting back out sooooooon..... :)

The rotation is perfect he just needs more pop. And that will come with continuing the edge.