PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of this electrical cable?

lake weir skier
04-08-2014, 04:32 AM
Iím trying to figure out a disconnected cable I found lying underneath my fuel tank next to the rudder shaft on my 1994 ProStar 190. Itís heavy cable with black insulation, around a foot or so long, and has a connector at each end with a hole through it.

The battery is next to the fuel tank. A black cable runs from the negative battery post to the grounding point on the engine block. I donít know if it matters, but this boat has what appears to be an aftermarket battery switch mounted in the port side storage area, so some of the wiring differs from original.

What could be, or could have been, the purpose of this other black cable?

Kweisner
04-08-2014, 07:50 AM
Sounds like it was a ground strap for the second battery.

lake weir skier
04-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Sounds like it was a ground strap for the second battery.

The boat had only one battery when I bought it last year. I had figured the previous owner had installed the battery switch to eliminate current drain during long term storage such as I've read about on the forum, not for a second battery, especially since it is a tight fit for just one battery next to the fuel tank. Maybe the cable is for a second battery, as you suggest, and came in some sort of kit with the battery switch and has never been used.

Thanks for the suggestion.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-08-2014, 03:12 PM
A couple pictures would probably help at this point.

5 O's X-10
04-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Possibly a cable that was used to power a lift motor.. I use to use one before I made life easier and just installed a battery on lift..