PDA

View Full Version : Office laser copier/printer

bcampbe7
11-07-2005, 09:21 PM
I would like your opinions on which laser copier/scanner/fax/printer to get my wife for her home office. I would like to stay in the $300-$400 price range.

I have 2 in mind so far:
The Dell 1600n and the Canon imageCLASS MF 5750.

Dell (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/print_1600n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd)
Canon (http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&expansionOID=-536907402&prodBlockOID=1611233462)

I am leaning more towards the Canon since I can buy it locally along with the toner cartridges.

I know many of you guys have home offices and may use a multi-purpose machine like this. I would like to stay with a multi-purpose and laser. The reason being cost and space...mainly cost. She does not need a separate copy, fax, printer, etc.

EDIT:

I just realized that you can not network print from the Canon. Need to step up to the 5770 which is nearly $500, and out of my price range.

OhioX14
11-07-2005, 09:55 PM
FWIW, I've had multiple HP Multifuction products, one Brother, and two Dell's which are both manufactured for them by Lexmark. I have to admit that even though I dislike having to buy all the cartidges directly from Dell (they had Lexmark change the cartridge ever so slightly so you can't buy one from your local Staples, etc.), or speak to someone 5,000 miles away when I need tech support, I have had absolutely no problems with the Dell's, either hardware or software. Their supplies are easy to purchase online and they show up in a day or two with free shipping. I never liked the Brother and have owned at least 4 HP's and every one had driver and related software issues. I'll never buy an HP again.

Never purchased a Canon so I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Good luck! :) :)

88 PS190
11-07-2005, 10:13 PM
I'll agree that the HP products tend to have issues, when they work I enjoy them, but i've had quite a few headaches w/ them so have many others i have talked to, including several people in it support.

The dells offer a reasonable product at cost. Which again is an opinion. Alot of times you really have to scrutinize what you need and what they offer to decide.

bigmac
11-07-2005, 10:31 PM
EDIT:

I just realized that you can not network print from the Canon. Need to step up to the 5770 which is nearly $500, and out of my price range.

Consider a USB Print Server. The one from LinkSys (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416837650&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper) , for example, is about $65. You can plug the MFP into it and it will function on the network just fine.

PendO
11-07-2005, 11:42 PM
fwiw my wife uses an HP 3015 and I have a 3030 at work and at home we use the hp color laserjet 2550L with a linksys wireless G print server ... I like the 3030 as it has a flat bed scanner, whereas the 3015 has a feed thur scanner (but she just copies documents and I like to scan pics)... one thing you might consider, if you have an office depot, is you can get one of their discount cards (not a credit card, but like the grocery store cards) and every quarter they give you a card with credit up to $50 (10% of quarterly purchases) ... if you don't need a flat bed scanner the 3015 is under 300 bucks and she has had no problems with it in her small office.

HP Printers (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/generic_subcategory.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=&category=all_in_ones&subcat1=laserjet_aio&catLevel=2)

JDK
11-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Consider a USB Print Server. The one from LinkSys (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416837650&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper) , for example, is about $65. You can plug the MFP into it and it will function on the network just fine.

You can also get a router with built in print server, and just use the print server. For some reason these routers with a p.s. are way cheaper than just the print server itself (I bought an SMC wired one for $19.00)

LakePirate
11-08-2005, 10:21 AM
We have 2 1600n all-in-one deals here at the office. I have been satisfied with them thus far. The only complaint that I have is that they are not compatible with the print server app on Server 2003. We had to trick it to make it work. However, the speed and quality that they print at is excellent.

bcampbe7
11-08-2005, 10:31 AM
We have 2 1600n all-in-one deals here at the office. I have been satisfied with them thus far. The only complaint that I have is that they are not compatible with the print server app on Server 2003. We had to trick it to make it work. However, the speed and quality that they print at is excellent.

I found that we have a couple here also. I spoke with the people that use it the most and they seem to like it quite-a-bit. I don't think I can beat it for the price.

east tx skier
11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
We have the Dell 1600n at the house and it's amazing. The only bad reviews we read on it had to do with less than perfect scanning quality. We have a photo scanner for the really hi-res stuff and have found the scanning feature to be more than adequate for just about everything that we do non-photo. We have it networked and use the wireless router to print to it (just plugged into one of the ports on our Belkin router. Fax features work great and integrate perfectly with our voice line and answering machine. No problems yet. My wife prints pretty massive documents for her job and seems satisfied with speed/quality.

BrianM
11-08-2005, 02:38 PM
I have an HP 3380 and love it. Great quality scans and copies super fast print speed. Bought it a little over a year ago and no problems and I run a LOT of paper through it. I think it was about $600 then so you can probably find it cheaper now.

bcampbe7
11-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all of the input.
I ended up buying the Dell 1600n. Just couldn't beat the price for all of the features as well as the good reviews from people at work and here.

Thanks for all of the advice. :toast: