PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Winterizing- Never have done it....

rabooze
11-07-2005, 07:53 PM
I live down in Charleston, SC and the closest MC dealer worth a penny is in Charlotte, a 3+ hour drive towing a boat. I need to winterize my boat myself, I guess, and have never done it before. Need advice on what to do and how to do it. APpreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

H20skeefreek
11-07-2005, 08:14 PM
bring it to columbia, i'll do it for.....$100 lol.

In Chucktown, all you need to do is drain the block and manifolds, pull the impellar and store it in some silicon grease, put some stabilizer in the fuel and fog the motor.

If it makes you feel better, warm up the engine, and once it's warm, suck up about 5 gallons of antifreeze into the block.

It's been argued several times whether or not you need to change your oil now, or spring. personally, i do it both.

if you have a shower or heater, you'll need to put some antifreeze in them. Clean the boat real well, wax the heck out of it, and button her down for the winter. You can come to Columbia and ski with me and USC over the winter.

mitch
11-07-2005, 09:35 PM
I live down in Charleston, SC and the closest MC dealer worth a penny is in Charlotte, a 3+ hour drive towing a boat. I need to winterize my boat myself, I guess, and have never done it before. Need advice on what to do and how to do it. APpreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

Got this from Doug.

OhioX14
11-07-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure if this is the kind of advise you're looking for, however, if you're not 100% comfortable doing this I would suggest either having it done or finding someone who will walk you through it the first time, even if that means that 3 hour drive. While winterizing isn't all that difficult, and certainly something you can and should do yourself, you want to make sure you've done everything correctly as the cost for missing that one plug or hose can get very costly. Any reputable dealer would be happy to show you the ropes.

east tx skier
11-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Rabooze, click on the "F.A.Q." link in my signature. The winterization checklist and supply list files are a couple of posts down the first page. There is also a link to another winterization article that has pretty pictures to help you through it.

What I'm calling winterization includes annual maintenance, i.e., oil and filter changes. I've moved changing spark plugs to the spring on my to-do list so they're fresh for the season having not been encased with fogging oil for 3 months.

Good luck.

p.s. Some of the stuff in my checklist is specific to the 351W. But the general principles still apply.