PDA

View Full Version : Got the itch to buy a new board

Astepatatime
04-06-2014, 10:43 PM
I've got a 2 year old Hyperlite State, that got me started. It's still in good shape and I could certainly use it again this summer. But I have the itch to get a new board. Maybe for the graphics, maybe to ride something different.

I spent a week on the Ronix District at The Boarding School and liked it okay. My son rode the Code 22 and he liked it. After talking with the instructors there, I'm thinking of a couple:

- Liquid Force Trip. Still an economical board and I like this year's graphics. My wife has a trip with last year's graphics. It's too small for me to ride, but it's been around forever and is a solid board.
- CWB Reverb. Got really good feedback from the instructor on this and Zane's video on it makes it sound good.
- CWB Dowdy. Love the graphics on this. Says Advanced/Expert for ride style, which is definitely not me. But reading the specs it sounds like anyone could ride it.

No chance to test these out. Anyone have any experience with either of the CWB boards?

Aric'sX15
04-06-2014, 10:47 PM
What are you looking to get out of the board? control? speed? more height in your wake jumps or more air time?

Astepatatime
04-06-2014, 11:27 PM
What are you looking to get out of the board? control? speed? more height in your wake jumps or more air time?

Probably more pop off the wake (although I can get plenty more by just cleaning up my technique). Oh, and softer landings. 20+ years of basketball were hell on ankles and knees.

snork
04-06-2014, 11:31 PM
for softer landings look for a board with a spine
for more pop look for large rocker

MI_Corey
04-06-2014, 11:46 PM
A spine or something fast. From my experience, every slow board I've been on lands terrible because it doesn't carry it's speed as well.

76S&S
04-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Love my Hyperlite Murray, it has a nice blend of pop, speed and is forgiving for this not so gifted rider.

bturner2
04-07-2014, 09:13 AM
X2 on the Murray. Loose, forgiving and easy to ride. My days of going for big air and spins are over. Too many hard falls. I ride mostly for the enjoyment aspect these days and this board delivers on solid performance while not tripping you up on an edge should you land a little off.

Astepatatime
04-07-2014, 10:06 AM
for softer landings look for a board with a spine
for more pop look for large rocker

From the description of the Dowdy:

The board has a subtle 3-stage rocker, with a spine running from tip to tail creating soft landings and quick maneuverability edge to edge. It comes equipped with molded in fins as well as deep bottom channels for extra traction. Sharp edges allow quick edge to edge movement but are still forgiving enough for the rider to be in full control of the board. The bottom features a Carbon ribbon in an X pattern under the boot area. The carbon fiber increases board stiffness and torsional strength for extra pop off the wake, as well as adding extra traction on the water and decreasing the total weight of the board.

So it has a spine. Current board is a continuous rocker. This says "subtle" 3 stage rocker. Will that be a noticeable difference?

76S&S
04-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Sharp edges are not forgiving and can punish a novice rider

snork
04-07-2014, 11:34 AM
I haven't rode the Dowdy
from the description it sounds like a good board
you might want to rent it to see if its fits your needs and riding style
some boards ride high on the water like Murray and some sit low and are slow

mitchelmilitiapres
05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
From the description of the Dowdy:

So it has a spine. Current board is a continuous rocker. This says "subtle" 3 stage rocker. Will that be a noticeable difference?

With a subtle 3 stage, it's all subjective from board company to company as to what "subtle" is, but it is less drastic comparatively to an agressive 3 stage. The main difference you would feel between and continuous and 3-stage rocker are as follows:

3-stage:
-Slower in the water
-More straight up pop (wake to wake) as opposed to outward trajectory
-Should land softer with the spine, but three stages do have a tendency to stick on the landings due to the shape of the board whereas continuous keep going.

Continuous:
-Faster into the wake, don't have to carve as hard to generate speed.
-More outward pop as opposed to straight up.
-Typically softer landings.

Either way, unless you boosting big tricks out into the flats from 8-10 feet up, the landing difference is going to be marginal at best. Just going wake to wake you won't notice a difference. Pick a board to like the graphics the best. If you plan on going big, get one with a spine. Just my $.02.

supturb89
05-14-2014, 10:11 AM
I've got a 2 year old Hyperlite State, that got me started. It's still in good shape and I could certainly use it again this summer. But I have the itch to get a new board. Maybe for the graphics, maybe to ride something different.

I spent a week on the Ronix District at The Boarding School and liked it okay. My son rode the Code 22 and he liked it. After talking with the instructors there, I'm thinking of a couple:

- Liquid Force Trip. Still an economical board and I like this year's graphics. My wife has a trip with last year's graphics. It's too small for me to ride, but it's been around forever and is a solid board.
- CWB Reverb. Got really good feedback from the instructor on this and Zane's video on it makes it sound good.
- CWB Dowdy. Love the graphics on this. Says Advanced/Expert for ride style, which is definitely not me. But reading the specs it sounds like anyone could ride it.

No chance to test these out. Anyone have any experience with either of the CWB boards?

What did you decide to go with? I'm getting ready to purchase my first board and have it narrowed down to the LF Trip or the Hyperlite State unless someone can tell me other wise? I have a budget of 300 so this probably makes them my only two choices.

davidstan
05-14-2014, 12:53 PM
What did you decide to go with? I'm getting ready to purchase my first board and have it narrowed down to the LF Trip or the Hyperlite State unless someone can tell me other wise? I have a budget of 300 so this probably makes them my only two choices.

I went with the State and like it but i am just a novice still, no big jumps or spins.

Aric'sX15
05-14-2014, 03:49 PM
I have a Liquid force shane Hybrid for sale that i could make you a deal on. It is super mellow and forgiving, could be had for a lot less than 300!

MI_Corey
05-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Evo also has all their outlet boards 20% off right now.

supturb89
05-14-2014, 06:51 PM
I have a Liquid force shane Hybrid for sale that i could make you a deal on. It is super mellow and forgiving, could be had for a lot less than 300!

I'm looking at $300 with bindings.

Evo also has all their outlet boards 20% off right now.

That's where I have found the best deal on the State.

Aric'sX15
05-14-2014, 06:55 PM
300 for a board and bindings?? Dang thats cheap!

supturb89
05-14-2014, 06:56 PM
I went with the State and like it but i am just a novice still, no big jumps or spins.

I don't know if I could even be considered a novice. Mainly slalom but my BIL wanted to try wakeboarding so I bought a Skylon last summer. I got up my first try on a completely oversized Ronix board that felt real awkward. I'm hoping getting one setup the right way for my size will make a big difference. At 160lbs I don't know if I should go 135 or 140 with the State? Thoughts?

supturb89
05-14-2014, 06:58 PM
300 for a board and bindings?? Dang thats cheap!

Actually the Hyperlite State with Focus bindings can be had at Evo for ~$260 with the 20% discount right now. That has pretty much sold me on this board.

Aric'sX15
05-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Hmm. 135 is a little small, go for a 140 of you can find it.

mitchelmilitiapres
05-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Either size would work. If you were an advanced rider worried about the performance and swing weight of the board a 135 would be the way to go. But honestly the bigger the better with a recreational rider. Especially if you're just getting into jumping the wake and carving around. Bigger surface area means softer landings and more stability.

supturb89
05-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Hmm. 135 is a little small, go for a 140 of you can find it.

Either size would work. If you were an advanced rider worried about the performance and swing weight of the board a 135 would be the way to go. But honestly the bigger the better with a recreational rider. Especially if you're just getting into jumping the wake and carving around. Bigger surface area means softer landings and more stability.

140 it is then gentlemen. Thanks for the advice!