PDA

View Full Version : What forum to ask about alternate brands?

Standupguy
04-05-2014, 08:46 PM
If you have seen my other posts, I wanted a MC 205 but pricing and such was an issue, I'm buying a direct drive copy cat brand, buying a MC later possibly.
$10,000 is my limit.
I hate to ask this on a MC site but from looking around, it's an excellent and active site. So, I either need to know where to go ask or I need your (as much as possible :)) unbiased opinions

I live in Deerfield NH, looking ONLY for a bow rider, DD, glass stringers, tower, no teal color

Here is one great example but the hours are tripping me out a touch....
What is this really worth - what $ number do I hold at?? I have $10k in the bank, won't spend a dime more for this toy, too many toys - I have to keep things reasonably realistic..

http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/4361595965.html

atihanyi
04-05-2014, 10:26 PM
that boat has wood in it . Look for a Moomba outback

AlbertaSurfer
04-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Don't rule out a MasterCraft just yet, but also be careful considering a different brand settling. If it's your first inboard boat, it's going to be leaps and bounds ahead of other boats you've used.

Many of the users on here are boat guys. There's a lot of knowledge of all boats.

If that Centurion is within striking distance of you, have it checked out by a local marine dealer. While 1000hrs is high, it's not a problem if the boat has been maintained properly. An older boat like that, and like my own, with more hours means it was used often, and didn't spend much of it's life neglected on the trailer. It wouldn't scare me off, just be diligent when checking it out.

AlbertaSurfer
04-05-2014, 10:48 PM
that boat has wood in it . Look for a Moomba outback

It has wood, but not wood stringers, to be fair. It has wood in seat backs, hatch covers etc. that was covered under a "lifetime warranty", whatever that means.

clrussell
04-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Just sold my ps 190 with almost 1200 hours, compression test was great and boat ran perfect. I wouldn't really be concerned with the hours if everything checks out. I don't know anything about the centurions so no comment there.

Is open bow a complete must? Are you sure your family and friends are going to enjoy the lake? I compromised 2 years ago and bought my ps190 instead of an open bow because I wasn't sure how the wife would like the lake. I had been on the lake most of my like, however she had never been on the water. Now 2 years down the road she loves the lake and is as excited as me about it so in upgrading to my dream boat.

Tristarboarder
04-05-2014, 11:42 PM
What's your dream boat Russell?

Standupguy
04-06-2014, 12:04 AM
1000% open bow, DD, 350 V8, no teal, tristar 190 is too small, 220 is not my thing, no wood anywhere is preferred, grew up on boats (had 12 at one time in our family). Currently using a 1964 Century resorter as a tow but it needs to retire from such laborious duties. It's a 2 mile long lake, I grew up there, family camp and such...
Open bow is for lazy cruzing, hanging out

So, looked at a Moomba outback today, nice manufacturer, bad example... Only 360 hours, Marina sale, ZERO love from previous owner, looked promising... Sun beaten and dull

Going to RI next wknd, I will look at the centurion unless you think they are junk.

AlbertaSurfer
04-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Centurion aren't junk. Be fair to yourself and have a look. Can't hurt. Is the Moomba you looked at the Outback from your previous thread?

Standupguy
04-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Centurion aren't junk. Be fair to yourself and have a look. Can't hurt. Is the Moomba you looked at the Outback from your previous thread?

Yes, it was a sad situation - a little care would have gone a long way!

Exactly what I am looking for

bturner2
04-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Centurion made/makes good boats. In my mind they're a solid tier 2 inboard/v-drive boat manufacture. That still puts them ahead of many mainstream boat manufactures.

As to wood. The potential for rot is always going to be an issue for any boat which has any wood however depending on how the boat was manufactured, how it was taken care of and where it was used is going to be more of a concern than the material itself. Just because a manufacture states that a boat is all fiberglass doesn't mean it'll last forever. I've seen plenty of "all fiberglass" boats with blisters, delamination and cracking issues. It all goes back to engineering, manufacturing and quality controller of the product.

I'd also be looking at Supra and Malibu. Good luck!

lifeisbetteratthelake
04-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Definitely look at Supra and Malibu. You should be able to find a mid '90s Sunsetter for around 10k.

FoggyNogginz
04-06-2014, 09:00 AM
The old Supras are fantastic boats. My friend has one and he is the envy of most guys at the slalom course. Almost no wake whatsoever.

clrussell
04-06-2014, 09:22 AM
What's your dream boat Russell?

2nd gen star... My ultimate dream boat is a 40th star but it was out of reach right now

Cloaked
04-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Yes, it was a sad situation - a little care would have gone a long way!

Exactly what I am looking forYou can always spray auto paint over the bad looking gel........

Or you could look here ==> http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/

Aric'sX15
04-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Heres a phrase I learned from the BMW forum.

You gotta pay to play!

Sydney Skier
04-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Surely someone from the forum could help this bloke out with a slightly older MC to get this guy into the Family? 10K for your first boat is a good price to start with. If you can convince she who must be obeyed to strtch the budget the 12 or 13K then your in the market for a good MC in my opinion. However in saying that Your really buying at the wrong time of the season for you guys in the states. You either settle for something that your not 100% happy with and pretty much shake your head and tell yourself I should have waited. OR keep with the boat your using for another season save somemore cash, and start looking at the end of the summer. Trust me Youll get a bargain as it heads into the colder months. do your servicing during the winter months and tinker with the new toy and have it to your liking for the new season.................Trust me best thing i ever did was buy an MC

Standupguy
04-06-2014, 10:15 PM
$10k is it, there isn't a boss in our relationship, sometimes divorces are well worth it, I landed a great one this time, we ageed on it, budget is firm.
Headed to Rode island this weekend, I'll look at the Centurion while my bride is at an dog obis emcee competition with one of your Schanuzers..

If it is decent I will see what he will take for it... Wants $11k
http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/4361595965.html

1100 hours, how long do the mercruser engines typically go between rebuilds?

KnoxX2
04-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Talk to the guys over on Centurion Crew. Good people and helpful. I would say for what your looking for and price range this is a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standupguy
04-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Hellooo all

Dan, the owner Wanted $11,000, we talked for a bit about the hours, other boats in the marketplace and the purity of cash :) (and a ding on the prop) super upfront guy, very well-maintained boat, maintained by a local marina right down the road, spent $5000 on a new interior, custom cover and tower/speakers....but yes used... But only on freshwater, trailer has built-in hydraulic brakes (you stop, it stops) with removable tongue and all lights work
He will take $9600 in cash of course dependent on whether or not I want to give it to him in a safe mall parking lot, when I see the boat.

We potentially got ourselves a Ski boat!!

Ski-me
04-07-2014, 04:07 PM
You might just shoot "Rgardjr1" a PM on the Supra. I know his wife had one many years ago and she loved it! He might have some further insight for you.

Good luck with the buy!

Also, pay attention to life jackets, paddle, throwable floater, ski rope, etc. Those things add up so try and get that in a package deal too! Barefoot International Boom for $200 is a good deal....see if he has one. Kids skis, adult pair of skis.

Standupguy
04-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Good point on the extras, I'll check!

KnoxX2
04-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Congrats hope this works out for you. Post some PICs if you end up picking it ip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKIBUMM
04-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Going to offer my 2 cents. I own a 94 centurion with 2600 hours and it runs great still. If you keep the maintennce up 1100 hours is nothing. There is a lot of MC love on this site and rightfully so they are great boats. Centurions are also great boats in my opinion. We have 4 of them in my family and have been great boats. As far as wood that boat does not have wood stringers so I would not worry. I have wood stringers and floor and anywhere else too most likely I have no soft spots and it does have a lifetime stringer and floor warrantee. I think for that boat it is a fair price but you could most likely get him into your price range.

Standupguy
04-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the support guys!
The owner Dan was very in tune with things, communication has been easy, upfront about basic issues, etc
Does the floor warranty apply to this one? How does it work if needed

The 360 hr Moomba I looked at on Sat could have had 3000 and I would have easily believed it

SKIBUMM
04-07-2014, 09:58 PM
I don't think a floor in and of itself is not an issue. Its's when the stringers go and then it affects the floor. I replaced my carpet last year and the floor looked perfect on mine. THe floor still had a very good bond of the fiberglass to the wood.

Ryan
04-08-2014, 10:05 AM
How far are you willing to drive? This one looks like it only needs new carpet.
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/4368192316.html Count on $1800 or so on Uship.com

Ryan
04-08-2014, 11:19 AM
That Centurion looks pretty good with the newer vinyl.
There are a few other bargain boats to take a look at (in addition to those you've been shopping):
Hydrodyne Grand Sport
SkiRay Barcelona
Malibu Echelon (Here's one in DC (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/boa/4409650202.html))
Tige 2050, 2100i & 2200i
Supra Legacy (or a Conbrio if you can find one in good shape)
Toyota Epic S22
Brendella
Older Calabria DDs

I still think if you hold out over the next two months you'll be able to find a ProStar 205, Sport Nautique or Malibu Sunsetter for $10k.