PDA

View Full Version : Accessories Power Issue

adubon
04-03-2014, 11:07 AM
I have an interesting electrical problem for you guys. To start the boat has flooded a couple times a couple inches above the floor although I think the electrical issues had started prior to that, partly why it flooded. I've replaced all the connectors on the battery wires and the 40 amp breaker that's on the floor by the battery for the accessories.

The accessory switches typically do not have any power (nav lights, blower, ctsy lights, etc) so the only one that works is the bilge since it's connected to the battery. I pulled the panel under the dash that has all the circuit breakers and control modules. As I pulled the panel towards me, the bilge turned on and then turned off when I pushed the panel it back in. I disconnected a wire from the bilge circuit breaker and the bilge went off - the breaker and wire spark when I touch the connectors but stops sparking when they're attached. Now all the accessory switches have power. I can still use the bilge in manual, don't know if it is working in auto.

I've done this before and had power to the switches but at some point they lost power again and it didn't come back till I did this again.

Any ideas what's going on? Need anything explained better?

Thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Loose electrical connection in panel. Your going to have to go through every wire/connection behind the panel and ensure all are tight and free of corrosion. No other way around it...

Sydney Skier
04-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Loose electrical connection in panel. Your going to have to go through every wire/connection behind the panel and ensure all are tight and free of corrosion. No other way around it...

Yep Ill second that quote. Im doing the same this winter..............And im not looking forward to it. Already had the dash out once..............I very quickly screwed it back in and decided id wait for another day to look at it.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2014, 10:21 PM
I agree with the guys above me. You have an intermittent open circuit. Sounds like it is common to the whole dash. If you move the dash around in the dark, you might be able to see the arcing and speed up the process. Could be ground or battery voltage....no way to tell until you find it.