PDA

View Full Version : 89 Prostar 190 in the works

Jc5229
04-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Well I posted the other day asking some questions and left some of y'all hanging with the pics I know how much y'all like those haha! Well this is all I had at the moment from right after I got the boat (don't worry the hideous homemade tower is gone now) I'd have some new pics but the boat is still at the shop getting some fiberglass work and gel coat touch ups. But so far I've reprinted the trailer, got the axle aligned, got fiberglass work and gel coat work done, revived the swim platform, put in some speakers and radio, put a new acme prop on it, and I have a Edelbrock performer intake and gt-40p heads ready to be put on as soon as I get it back. As I mentioned these are just before pics from the day I picked it up.

Jc5229
04-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Here is another pic

orbeamlb
04-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Congrats on your purchase. Good thing you pulled the tower, that likely kept you off the Ugly Tower Thread (post pics showing it's gone though, visual confirmation).

What part of Louisiana are you located? I'm originally from Baton Rouge. Geaux Tigers!!!

Jc5229
04-02-2014, 09:04 PM
And I guess while this thread is still new does anybody know of anyplace in north LA east TX or southern AR that I can get my upholstery redone? I've seen viper customs work and I'm considering bringing it to them but that's close to 10 hour drive for me.

Jc5229
04-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Thank you! Yea I hated the thing it came off that night and now I'm getting some custom SS plates made to cover up the ugly rust spots it left. And of course I'll have picks with it also! I'm from the Shreveport area.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Congrats on a fine purchase. That ugly home-made tower is better looking than some mass produced towers, but glad to hear you took it off all the same.

Jc5229
04-02-2014, 09:12 PM
I bought the boat to ski I have friends that get mad because I won't pull a tube I tell them it's a ski boat not a tube boat not a wake boat. Now I will let them try to barefoot on the boom
just for my enjoyment:)

Aric'sX15
04-02-2014, 09:14 PM
good googley that tower is horrendous. Congrats on the new boat!

Jc5229
04-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Look what I got in the mail today!

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Look what I got in the mail today!
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=108624&stc=1&d=1396568094

Nice........................:toast:

Jc5229
04-03-2014, 07:40 PM
And after spending 6 hours in the scrapyard today I managed to walk out with these gt-40p heads. Now on these holes need to be stepped out to 1/2 inch and the plugs need to be changed to brass any special setup for the springs or valves compared to stock to make it ready for the 351?

clrussell
04-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Always wanted to do this to my prostar. I'll be watching :popcorn:

Ben
04-03-2014, 08:07 PM
At least it doesn't look you would have hit your head on the tower.

Towboatcapt
04-03-2014, 09:52 PM
And after spending 6 hours in the scrapyard today I managed to walk out with these gt-40p heads. Now on these holes need to be stepped out to 1/2 inch and the plugs need to be changed to brass any special setup for the springs or valves compared to stock to make it ready for the 351?

I'm doing this soon keep posting pics!:D

Jc5229
04-07-2014, 01:43 AM
I read on another thread today about clear coating valve covers and intake manifold to help with corrosion on the aluminum. Has anybody ever done this if so did you worry about over spray or did you tape everything off and also what kind of clear coat did you use?

Jc5229
04-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Well couldn't get the boat today since it was raining but I did get to see it at the shop and it looks good granted the guy did go 500 over what he quoted me :/ but I'll have more pics tomorrow when I get it home tomorrow

Jc5229
04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Well got it back home today and made room in the garage. They did a good job getting it shined up. It cranked right up and got it warm and now I'm sitting here waiting on oil to drain then I'll start breaking the motor down to get it ready for the new heads, manifold, and valve cover(which happened to come in today).

Jc5229
04-09-2014, 06:31 PM
For some reason my phone won't upload multiple pics but the next few pics are of the boat and the motor before I start the break down.

Jc5229
04-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Motor

Jc5229
04-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Again

Chrismath88
04-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Looking good! Like many others I'm sure, I'm very interested to see how the motor upgrades workout. Have certainly thought about going down that road in the future.

Jc5229
04-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Well been busy with work and crawfish boils the past few days and finally getting back to the project (I got held up the other night because I had to get a Alan wrench I could cut to fit the exhaust) I took the seat out to work on the slider and to also give me some more room to work with. I noticed all but 1 of the screws holding the seat in were not tight and wouldn't bite the fiberglass is worn underneath any tricks to fix this issue? Options I considered are moving the seat over an inch or so or trying to fill the holes with some type of filler.

tph
04-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Well been busy with work and crawfish boils the past few days and finally getting back to the project (I got held up the other night because I had to get a Alan wrench I could cut to fit the exhaust) I took the seat out to work on the slider and to also give me some more room to work with. I noticed all but 1 of the screws holding the seat in were not tight and wouldn't bite the fiberglass is worn underneath any tricks to fix this issue? Options I considered are moving the seat over an inch or so or trying to fill the holes with some type of filler.

I had the same problem with my '89. I made a polyester and glass cloth mixture to fill the holes. Then I sprayed a little WD-40 onto the screws and threaded them into the holes and let everything set. I backed the screws out and reinstalled the seat. Worked great.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-15-2014, 11:18 PM
I read on another thread today about clear coating valve covers and intake manifold to help with corrosion on the aluminum. Has anybody ever done this if so did you worry about over spray or did you tape everything off and also what kind of clear coat did you use?

This is absolutely true, I first installed the same valve covers you bought and a weiand intake didn't treat either, after a few weeks the bare aluminum started to dull and corrode, fresh water only and stored inside my garage, so I then sanded off the ugly and painted the intake black(I did remove it to do this) and then changed the valve covers to a complete different design and had them clear coated from my painter...

You should be able to just bolt the heads on, all the valve-train is the same as what your taking off, barring they don't need a valve job, the springs on the p heads are ok for a stock camshaft, if you decide to upgrade the camshaft the valve springs MUST be changed also...

Jc5229
04-16-2014, 12:30 AM
I had the same problem with my '89. I made a polyester and glass cloth mixture to fill the holes. Then I sprayed a little WD-40 onto the screws and threaded them into the holes and let everything set. I backed the screws out and reinstalled the seat. Worked great.

I might have to try that I figured that was the best plan just didn't know what would be best it'll help now that the slider is working it'll hopefully take less stress from me trying to squeeze in and out.

Jc5229
04-16-2014, 12:36 AM
This is absolutely true, I first installed the same valve covers you bought and a weiand intake didn't treat either, after a few weeks the bare aluminum started to dull and corrode, fresh water only and stored inside my garage, so I then sanded off the ugly and painted the intake black(I did remove it to do this) and then changed the valve covers to a complete different design and had them clear coated from my painter...

You should be able to just bolt the heads on, all the valve-train is the same as what your taking off, barring they don't need a valve job, the springs on the p heads are ok for a stock camshaft, if you decide to upgrade the camshaft the valve springs MUST be changed also...

Ok that's good to know they have some clear coat in a can I can get at autozone I may try it. And I already had the valve job done just to be sure. One thing I have thought about I'm down to the main block with pistons exposed etc some excess water from the manifolds got down on too of the pistons I soaked it out as quick as possible and sprayed with wd40 besides prepping the surface for the gasket anything else I should do while at this point? I'd also like to clean the rest of the motor it has a lot of debris from belt wear any good advice on cleaning it up?

tph
04-16-2014, 06:22 PM

I haven't had any problem with the brushed aluminum fins on that style of valve cover. And, I'm not sure what the wrinkle finish would look like with a clear topcoat. Maybe, an occasional wipe with some WD-40 or something like it would do the job.

Jc5229
04-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Oh ok that looks great!

Well I got my risers apart and upon looking at the inside they are of course rusty and scaling but I was wondering if there is any solution to fix this for the time being? Clean them in a parts cleaner? I saw someone say something about muratic acid? Might try and replace them next year it'll be hard to fit in the budget right now though.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Oh ok that looks great!

Well I got my risers apart and upon looking at the inside they are of course rusty and scaling but I was wondering if there is any solution to fix this for the time being? Clean them in a parts cleaner? I saw someone say something about muratic acid? Might try and replace them next year it'll be hard to fit in the budget right now though.

Mikeg has used http://www.evapo-rust.com/ personally I would take them to the machine shop and have them boiled.

Jc5229
04-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Mikeg has used http://www.evapo-rust.com/ personally I would take them to the machine shop and have them boiled.

I forgot about evaporust I've used it before it's pretty good stuff.

Jc5229
04-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Well decided against evaporust since it would just change the chemical make up of the rust and I wanted to remove it. I decided to try molasses I read about it for rust removal and I thought it's not very aggressive so no harm done if it doesn't work. I left it in for about a week and surprisingly it works very well but to be really affective I needed to hit it with a wire brush which is impossible inside the parts. So I decided to step it up to muratic acid which I was very weary about at first but it actually worked great. I just got a 5 gal bucket filled it 2/3 full and put 3/4 gal of muratic acid(what I had left in a jug) and let the pieces soak about 6 hours seemed to be perfect the washed it well and dipped it in a baking soda and soap bath and came out nice. I'm just waiting on them to dry to paint them and back on they go.

Jc5229
04-25-2014, 08:28 PM
This was after 6 hours

Jc5229
04-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Before

Jc5229
04-25-2014, 08:32 PM
And I also got the heads painted and ready to go

Jc5229
04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Almost finished up

Jc5229
04-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Got her finished up

Jc5229
04-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Does anybody know part number for gasket between tstat housing and intake manifold? I'd like to get it at autozone or similar place if possible.

Chrismath88
04-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Looking good! Can't wait to hear if you can feel the difference when you get her into the water.