PDA

View Full Version : Stereo ignition wiring

cal2vin
03-28-2014, 04:17 PM
This is in a 2008 X2. The wire hanging down and disconnected in this picture is labeled stereo. It is red with a black stripe down either side. My stereo quit turning on and I found this under the dash. Now on the left side of the ignition (left in the picture) theres a tab that's open when I put this wire up to the tab the stereo turns on like normal. So it seems obvious that's where it should go. Can anyone verify that's the correct spot. Would the black stripes not indicate a negative wire? This would be a positive position on the ignition right?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/29/yza6uver.jpg

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

cal2vin
03-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Also wouldn't this be wired to the starting battery and not the stereo bank? Since the amps are wired to the stereo bank would this not give a ground loop issue being as the head unit is switched at the ignition by the starting battery and the amps are on the stereo bank?

XStar08
03-28-2014, 06:34 PM
This might only be the signal wire, power is coming from another location...

Kweisner
03-28-2014, 06:41 PM
My guess is this is the trigger wire that tells the stereo to turn on when the key is in the ACC or ON position. Let me emphasize the operational word in the previous sentence--"guess".

MLA
03-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Cal,

That red wire would only be the head-units turn-on trigger, it would not power the stereo.

That red/blk wire in your pic needs to be attached to a terminal labeled ACC on the back of the key switch.

cal2vin
03-28-2014, 08:09 PM
OK. I put the wire back to that spot which did corelate to ACC. Couldn't actually see it, but I put a meter to it and it was only activated when the key was in the ACC position. Stereo works good now.