PDA

View Full Version : New Dodge 3.0L V6 Eco-Diesel

KahunaCraft
03-24-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm looking for a new tow vehicle and wondering if anyone has towed with one of these yet?

Price seems reasonable compared to gas equiv, mileage observed is 26-28 depending on what site you read, either way seems decent... Couple of points here and there...

1. You need to add a liquid every 10k miles for emissions.

2. Torque seems impressive. Warranty is decent.

3. Resale on diesel should hold the extra 2-3k. May help with the traditional dodge free fall in resale (at least in my market).

4. Reviews all seem to give dodge the 2014 edge.

Would you get the dodge air suspension ?

Thoughts?

Cain0725
03-24-2014, 10:55 PM
Dodge diesel trucks run a lot here. Decent resale , but cost a lot less as well, V6 diesel been around forever.

willyt
03-24-2014, 11:28 PM
This diesel configuration has not - it's a 3l, not the big cummins in line 6.

Rossterman
03-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Was at the show and they didn't yet have one. Said that production date was pushed back again. Using Diesel engine made by fiat in Europe. Rep said that they were expected to get 26 on. Highway and 21 around town. Also only $3k above the hemi option so not as much price gouging as ford and chevy. Looks like the US will finally get what most countries have had for years...

Aric'sX15
03-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Before the brand war breaks out that im about to start, a few questions.

1) do you wanna be dodges test mule?

2) is the diesel upcharge at the pump worth it over the gas milage (aka how long would you keep it)

3) seems like its gonna be a massive dog with 2xx horses.
(Yes this isnt a question) haha

So lets ask this, have you looked into an ecoboost?

KahunaCraft
03-25-2014, 04:06 AM
Ha, I am a 2012 MC test mule...so I get that one. Oddly enough the company they are using is more known for Marine grade motors than car/truck motors...VM Motori.

http://m.wardsauto.com/ward039s-10-best-engines/2014-winner-chrysler-30l-ecodiesel-dohc-v-6

Heavily bias articles, one more below...but reasonable details on why I'm thinking twice about a Dodge (sorry in advance to dodge owners not dis'ing your brand - I can provide real data on their resale here if needed).

http://m.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1402_2014_ram_1500_is_motor_trend_2014_truck_of_th e_year/

I would put 15-20,000 miles a year on it so the uplift is cash flow positive in savings.

Test drove the Eco-boost, nice truck. I didn't observe the fuel mileage it claims in a 25 minute test drive. The articles I've read and even the Ford dealer admitted that the numbers aren't accurate.

Again, I am not trying to start a brand war, just that diesel work horse trucks (250/2500 series) tend to hold decent value - no matter the brand. The gamble is whether or not this one will improve Dodge's resale with this entry in the 150/1500 light duty market. If I compare the Cherokee's with and without the diesel, they seem to do better on resale than their gas siblings.

The tow capacity of this one is 9200ish lbs, which should tow my X30 without much problems.

The 240HP isn't too impressive, 420ft-lb of torque at low RPM's is pretty decent when comparing to gas 150/1500 series light duty trucks.

I might pull the trigger on this one in the next few weeks...

BrianM
03-25-2014, 07:58 AM
This truck is in my sights along with the 2015 Ford Ecoboost. Have yet to see a diesel Dodge on the lots around here as the production keeps getting pushed back. Rumor is we should see them trickle in next month. I'm going to wait a bit though. Not willing to pay a premium price to have one of the first off the lot. I'll wait for the new hype to wear off so I can test drive one and get a feel for it.

pmkkdx
03-25-2014, 08:30 AM
If I could get by with a 1500, I would definately look into one of these new Dodge diesel 1500 without hesitation. I was raised in a GM family, die hard actually (father in law was GMC/Pontiac dealer) and about got disowned when I switched to a Dodge with a Cummins in 1991. When we upgrade my wife's 4Runner, I will look closely at the diesel Cherokee (and VW Toureg diesel) ... I wish I could talk her into driving a 1500 Truck (diesel), but she isn't having any part of it.

mzimme
03-25-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm interested to see how this thing performs as well. At 240 horses though... ouch. The ecoboosts are 365hp/420tq. You have 90% of your torque at 1700 RPMs in the ecoboost too. Oh... and put premium fuel in it and gain another 20 horses. While the mileage hasn't been what I expected with mine, the towing is superb. My main concern wasn't gas mileage when I bought a truck, although it would have been a nice bonus! My main concern was how well that suckers going to pull my boat when I want to travel with the boat in tow. I live around the Ozarks, the're very hilly with lots of turns, and you need a vehicle with some torque for all the rolling hills. I haven't had a chance to test it yet in those conditions, but I will for Memorial Day when I head down to Bull Shoals in AR. The only towing experience I have with it so far is pulling the boat about 45 miles at 65mph, and getting 12.5mpg doing it. I'll take it!

Roman
03-25-2014, 09:29 AM
They drive like a freight train, in a good way. Sooooo much torque, and the 8 speed makes it pretty damn quick. Why do you think they gave Ram truck of the year again? This powertrain package is awesome. I was plesantly surprised how fast it felt.

The urea injection is what it is. Its not that expensive really, but I can see it being a pain for some. Its only a matter of time before you see ICE engines havign somethign like this (not anytime soon, but it will happen).

Air suspension. Its nice. I like to use it in the highest setting when removing the trailer. Lower the jack, and then go to the truck and slam it. Go in reverse to hook up. Its kind of handy. Personally I would get the coils though. Less to go wrong.

I think these things should hold their value well, but the used market decides that.

BrianM
03-25-2014, 09:35 AM
So far the reviews of these EcoDiesels are very positive on how they tow and drive. The hp number is really no concern and the Torque is big and comes on almost immediately.

Aric'sX15
03-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I normally hate dodge myself, but I like the direction the 1500 diesel is going. Might have to swing by and test drive one when they're more available.

KahunaCraft
03-25-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm pricing it out now, a few notes from the dealer (good friend)... If you're in really cold weather (-25F) there have been problems with the air suspension freezing up. I'm going to go coils no air ride. He also said go with the 392 rear end.

I may order one this week, says it will be June by the time it gets here. Lots of promos on right now, even on that truck...

Not a done deal but definitely not far off either.

Aric'sX15
03-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Be careful then, the DEF fluid also freezes and renders the truck useless regardless of brand of vehicle.

ttu
03-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Be careful then, the DEF fluid also freezes and renders the truck useless regardless of brand of vehicle.

yep, I took my touareg tdi in 2 weekends ago to get the oil changed and there was another 2012 tourareg in the back. asked my service advisor why it was back there and she said that the diesel jelled up during out last really bad cold snap. I asked her what can I do to prevent this and she said vw sells a additive to add to the diesel. weird thing is I have kept mine overnight a few times at winter park with sub zero with no issues.

pmkkdx
03-26-2014, 09:04 AM
yep, when the diesel jells, you are dead in the water. I would suspect in colder areas, diesel would have a certain amount of de-jelling agent added or higher grade available for the lower temperatures.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Titan Cummins 5.0 V8 turbo
Frontier Cummins 2.4 I4 turbo
Coming 2015

46Chief
03-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Heck with the HP number, the torque figure is what you need to know with a diesel.

The other thing to consider is fuel milage while towing, the ecoboost looks awesome until you realize it is burning the same fuel a v8 gas engine while pulling a load. I imagine the Fiaodge fuel milage won't change too much. The cummins 6cyl in the 2500 gets the same milage until you really start working the engine to get over big hills and hauling heavy loads.

Not sure I'd want to be a first year guinea pig, but I've heard that Chrysler has really improved fit finish and reliability of their vehicles.

it's about time we got a 1/2 ton diesel. It's too bad diesel is a dollar more than low grade fuel.

ncsucarjock88
03-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Well... The powertrain will have been in the Jeep Grand Cherokee's for 18 months, and I've been following them. Really no issues. The 8 speed is used across the board now, and the VM Motori engine is really a damned fine piece of engineering. I came close to pulling the trigger on a new JGC (Jeep Grand Cherokee) with the 3.0 diesel. The only reason I didn't was it just wasn't peppy enough for me. I too, drive a lot of miles, and the current rig is an 01 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. I fetch about 17 in town, 20 on the highway, and 16mpg with the boat behind it, and 11.5mpg with the big trailer and Jeep and loaded down.

I imagine the new 1500 diesel will do all I want, but it's not the swiftest thing out there. Most folks won't care - it's certainly got the torque to haul whatever you want up any grade at any speed, I'm just used to a bit more oomph from my truck (modified).

All the new Chrysler/Ram/Dodge stuff is actually really well designed. I am worried that they screwed up by giving the V8 Cummins to the competition though. We'll see what happens in the next 5 years :-)

Jerseydave
03-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Just my opinion but:

Diesels are for commercial haulers that log 30K miles per year to reap the benefits.
Import diesel engines can be expensive to repair. I have a Mercedes engine in my 2005 Freightliner M2 and parts are far from cheap. This includes filters too. EGR valve was over $900 and the EGR cooler is over $1400. Starter $300....you get the idea.

In colder climates, diesel can gel up and air lines can freeze up. You have to plug in your block heater every night too.

DEF fluid, just another thing to keep an eye on.
Diesel fuel, not every station carries it around here.

I have 20K miles on my Ford Eco-boost. It's as quiet as any car I've ever had much less any truck. The torque is great for towing, much better than any of my gas engines including a 6.2 Denali. 18-19 highway, 15-16 around home and 10-11 towing the X-star. But it burns regular gas that's 60-80 cents cheaper than diesel.

It's such a turn-key operation owning this truck......nothing to do but put gas in it!
And there are cold air intakes and aftermarket exhaust available that add 20-30 more hp.

curver900
03-28-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm pricing it out now, a few notes from the dealer (good friend)... If you're in really cold weather (-25F) there have been problems with the air suspension freezing up. I'm going to go coils no air ride. He also said go with the 392 rear end.

I may order one this week, says it will be June by the time it gets here. Lots of promos on right now, even on that truck...

Not a done deal but definitely not far off either.

"Friends pay retail" :D

itstone55
03-28-2014, 01:58 PM
It's a newer diesel so not much historical data on that particular engine. However, overall a diesel engine will run damn near forever without much maintenance. My Dad still has tractors that get used everyday that were built in the early 60's and they get way more abuse than any light truck will. There's no reason a light duty diesel would be any different, been using them in Europe forever. Fuel is more, no doubt about it and IF any maintenance issues come up they can cost more. I'm on my 3rd Cummins in over 10 years and have yet to have any issue with any of them, the new emissions systems and all.

If I was in the market for a 1/2 ton I'd be all over the Dodge diesel. I wouldn't put much stock into the gelling issue, lived for years in central Nebraska and never plugged mine in, started every time and never gelled.

It's early on and there are surely some kinks to work out but I think its a great option to get mileage and towing power in a half ton. I know a few folks with the EcoBoost and from what I hear it doesn't get the real world mileage that Ford claims, does tow as advertised though.

rgardjr1
03-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I've had my Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi for a week now. I have the 3.92 rear end and the air suspension. The ride is super smooth with this suspension setup. The 8 speed transmission is very nice and will help out with the lower hp numbers. The cluster is telling me that my mileage is averaging 17.5 which I'm sure will get knocked down by at least 1 mpg when I hand calculate. One thing to consider is the payload numbers. I've been hanging around a couple of Ram forums and that has been the only concern that has come up. Depending on how they are optioned the payload numbers can suffer. There were restrictions on how you could configure these because of the weight- i.e. you could get a sunroof & air suspension, but you couldn't get the ram boxes. This may have changed by now. I know originally you couldn't order the 3.92 rear end, but that has been changed. I briefly considered the ecodiesel, but I don't tow enough to really see the advantage.

zsqure
04-02-2014, 08:40 PM
go to ram1500diesel dot com for good info on the new ecodiesel.

dihrdskir
04-03-2014, 04:04 PM
We've had 3 litre or thereabouts diesels for what seems like forever and are probably the most accepted displacement across all brands. I haven't driven the 8 speed as that has only just come on line in the Jeep. Judging by the amount of them on the road they are very popular. The 3 ltr in my Toyota is excellent, don't worry about 420 ft lbs as being to little a figure, in the toyota it arrives at 1450 RPM. That's right PEAK torque just off idle. As for resale Europeans suffer for cost of maintenance and parts but generally speaking after 3 yrs or so the depreciation on petrol powered vehicles is 50 % greater than diesel. Take the leap of faith and you won't look back. The only exception will be if you tow all the time then I would consider something larger. For what it is worth, turbo petrol and supercharged petrol versions have been tried and failed dismally. The fuel consumption of the diesels is a far better proposition in a larger vehicle for living with day to day.

zsqure
07-10-2014, 08:41 AM
I brought one home last night, will let you know how it does this weekend. Headed out I-80 through PA. Up over Snowshoe towing a 209 I know it will be much better than the Q5 it is replacing as our tow vehicle.

Double D
07-10-2014, 09:05 AM
I brought one home last night, will let you know how it does this weekend. Headed out I-80 through PA. Up over Snowshoe towing a 209 I know it will be much better than the Q5 it is replacing as our tow vehicle.

Good luck!! We'll need some new Tow Vehicle pictures as well.

Thrall
07-10-2014, 07:23 PM
A couple misconceptions bout diesels.
First, maybe the guy in Oklahoma had an instance of fuel gelling, but that's because it typically doesn't get that cold there so the additive package was not up to snuff. All cold weather areas cut #2 with #1 oil or low temp additives.
Only fuel gelling I've experienced in 25 years of driving or being closely associated with diesels was Denver a few years ago. Big sub zero cold snap and the suppliers were skimping on additive. Dead trucks and equipment all over town. Had to drive 100 mi to buy a case of diesel 911 to get our equipment running.
After working in -40F temps for the last winter, gelling was never a concern and DEF trucks ran fine up there. Better than the 1st gen dpf emissions trucks. Yes it freezes, but the tanks have heaters and they thaw the fluid once the truck is running.

zsqure
07-11-2014, 06:45 AM
With over 25 years in the construction / heavy equipment field in NE Ohio gelling was never an issue. Diesel 911 is your friend. Now, frozen water seperators because the operator was not checking their equipment was another issue. I'm excited to have a diesel again, but I'll tell you there is no exhaust odor, none. It's unbelievable.

zsqure
07-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Have not towed with it yet, but I understand pictures are required so here goes. Someone is happy not to have the beetle hovering over him as his first car. :rolleyes:

jkski
07-11-2014, 07:37 AM
WOW, very nice and congrats. That is going to look great pulling the boat!

Double D
07-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Have not towed with it yet, but I understand pictures are required so here goes. Someone is happy not to have the beetle hovering over him as his first car. :rolleyes:

Looks sweet Z. Have that sticker laying around?

So you are selling or traded in the Beetle??

I also see you bought it from Progressive.... Never dealt with the Dodge people but I will never buy a car from the Chevy side... Don't like their sales tactics.

zsqure
07-11-2014, 09:58 AM
JK thanks, will be dragging it through PA this weekend. DD I think the sticker came from you! Is it one from MikeG? And the beetle was traded, pretty embarrassing how little value it had when you look at what's for sale on the dealers lots. I bought from the Chevy side in 1992, this is the first from the dodge side. The saying about the Chevy side was "their prices are higher than balls on a giraffe" 😄. Much better experience than buying the VW.

rgardjr1
07-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Great looking truck. I love my 2014 Laramie Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. It's been awesome for the first 6K miles. Handled towing my boat and 20' enclosed trailer with ease. Gets around 17 mpg with my typical mix of highway and in town driving. I backed into about 12 mpg when I towed my Ranger in the enclosed trailer (didn't do a specific fill to check actual mpgs). One thing I've learned is that the mpgs reported by the truck have been "optimistic" by about 1.5 mpgs compared to my hand calculations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zsqure
07-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Will report the towing mpg's after the weekend. I don't expect any great numbers for a couple months yet, around town the lie o meter has been showing 19mpg, only have 100 miles on it. Another pic waiting for me to get home.

BrianM
07-11-2014, 12:26 PM
I drove one at the dealer a few weeks back. Very impressive truck. SUPER quiet inside and had plenty of power. I'm hearing and seeing lots of great fuel numbers on this truck.

I'm going to be replacing my Avalanche soon and this truck is still on my list along with a 2015 Ecoboost Ford. Going to be a tough decision.

WakeWise
07-11-2014, 02:33 PM
I'm getting 18 mpg city and 22 mph hossin' it on the hwy @ 80 mph average. At 65 I have no doubt it would get 25mpg. And I get 16 towing the X -30. 2014 5.7 Hemi Ram 1500 4x4.

KahunaCraft
07-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Test drove one last week, very impressed. Smooth power and quiet. I drove it a mix of hwy and city and saw 25 mpg. More hwy and a little less 'testing' of the acceleration and it would have been closer to 30 for sure. 2014 dodge crew cab sxt 3.0 litre diesel.

zsqure
07-14-2014, 06:45 AM
I managed to average 16.39 MPG on the way out to Raystown Lake, Pa and 17.7 MPG on the return trip towing our 209 mostly across I-80. I now have 650 ish miles on the truck. I have set up a fuelly account to track my mileage. And the fuel economy meter on the truck is optimistic by about 1.2 MPG. Would I go there again? NO. same water can be found closer to home. BUT, the 4+ hour ride went by pretty fast, what a huge difference a full sized tow vehicle makes.

curver900
07-15-2014, 03:42 PM
That isn't much better than my v8 diesel which got around 16 round trip. I hope it gets better unloaded and around town... keep us updated.

zsqure
07-21-2014, 08:54 PM
First non towing tank netted me 24.9 mpg calculated, the computer in the truck said 25.9. Daily 50 mile commute more country 45 mph rolling hills than 65 mph highway.

Aric'sX15
07-23-2014, 11:48 PM
food for thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1mBaEu-DVU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Aric'sX15
07-23-2014, 11:49 PM
food for thought

nickespi
07-24-2014, 02:24 AM
food for thought

Yeah, but how long until it's first intercooler failure...

Aric'sX15
07-24-2014, 03:44 AM
probably pretty quick. How quick until a tundra fanboy swooped in? even quicker... :D

nickespi
07-24-2014, 05:04 AM
probably pretty quick. How quick until a tundra fanboy swooped in? even quicker... :D

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Tundra fanboy!? lol I just drive what I like regardless of branding. F-150 will never be it. 250 or 350, now we are talking. All that said, and I know it's still early, but Eco-Diesel isn't having the issues of Eco-Boost.

rgardjr1
07-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I watched the video without sound. Did it mention mpgs at all? I haven't heard the mpg numbers they are expecting out of the 2.7L ecoboost.

Aric'sX15
07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
haha sorry nick i was trolling hard. I will hold my breath on the reliability of that motor and the eco diesel for a few months.... haha

_fng_
07-24-2014, 01:19 PM
I watched the video without sound. Did it mention mpgs at all? I haven't heard the mpg numbers they are expecting out of the 2.7L ecoboost.

Per the car and driver article posted a day ago, Ford has not yet released any MPG data.

get_sum
07-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Love my 2012 Ecoboost! Pulls my Axis A22 much better than my 2010 GMC 5.3L. Both are/were crew cab 2wd models with superhighway gears.

CruisinGA
07-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Love my 2012 Ecoboost! Pulls my Axis A22 much better than my 2010 GMC 5.3L. Both are/were crew cab 2wd models with superhighway gears.

Yep, have a great 17k miles on my '14 ecoboost so far.
After driving mine a buddy just sold his dmax and bought a King Ranch ecoboost.

mzimme
07-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Yep, have a great 17k miles on my '14 ecoboost so far.
After driving mine a buddy just sold his dmax and bought a King Ranch ecoboost.

Man, you're racking up those miles! My '13 EB hasn't even turned over 10k yet :)

tkemperdc
07-24-2014, 02:02 PM
yep, when the diesel jells, you are dead in the water. I would suspect in colder areas, diesel would have a certain amount of de-jelling agent added or higher grade available for the lower temperatures.

Up here in North Dakota, they blend the fuel in the winter, I still run additive, and have been at -30 and not had a gel up.

Yes, you do need to be aware of that with a diesel. The pumps here usually state when they start the blending, and as well, what degree the fuel is good to.

zsqure
07-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Tank refilled today and I got 25.5MPG calculated on my 50 mile daily commute, 1352 miles total still smells like new. It will probably smell like french fries tomorrow night as the kids and the boat are going to the lake tomorrow while I am at work.

Thrall
08-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Those are excellent hand calced mileage numbers and not even broke in!
Hope this truck is a success. Maybe it will take a little heat off the popularity of 1 ton diesels. The prices for those are just getting out of hand.
I'll keep my "big" diesel for now because the 1/2 tons can't haul the bed weight I haul but they could tow anything I hook up to the hitch.
Compared to the 19 mpg hiway, 12-13 mpg towing I get out of my good running 5.9Cummins the 1500 diesels are pretty impressive. Definately way better than the Eco boosts.

snowpromod
08-17-2014, 09:13 PM
I hope it proves it self, I am running a 14 Ram 2500 6.7 and love it, but don't really need the 3/4 ton 99% time . . . Increasing the mpg's would be great. We have an EcoBoost and I hate to say but I am not impressed at all! I am trying my hardest to get the wife into an EcoDiesel 1500, but she wants a new Yukon :(

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

zsqure
08-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Still at slightly over 25 mpg for my weekly commute. Weekend towing has been just above 18 mpg including last week ends tow to the Buckeye Bash at the posted speed limit.

sseager
08-18-2014, 09:44 AM
My cousin bought a 14 Ram 1500 qaud cab with the EcoDiesel. We had a family get together two weeks ago where he let me drive it with 830ish miles on it. The dash showed 28.9 mpg with about half of those being highway miles. It drove, road great and we were impressed with the space of the interior. I invited him to come over this past weekend to go out on the boat and try towing it with his new truck. He was as excited as I was to see how it towed our 08 X2 with a tandem trailer. He now has almost 2k miles on it with most of those extra 1k miles being city driving in Milwaukee. He is now averaging just short of 26 mpg. Our 11 Durango with the Hemi will tow our boat on the highway doing 70-72 getting 9.5-10 mpg. My daily non-towing average is between 16-17 mpg. His truck towed our boat about 60 miles of those 40 were highway and 20 were city. He reset his trip computer before we started and when we got back to the house it was at 14.9 mpg. While we don't have many hills around us the couple that we did go up where the Durango would downshift the Ram didn't even blink. I'm sure adding a topper or tonneau cover would improve the already fantastic numbers.

We are now talking about replacing the our Jeep Wrangler for a new Ram with the EcoDiesel. We really need the space of the Durango for the 3 kids. I know that they put that engine in the Grand Cherokee and if it was in a Durango I would be car shopping this week!!

sethro
08-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Next door neighbor's brother just drove in from Detroit with one of those Ram 1500 diesels. Said he got 34mpg today during all interstate driving.

zsqure
08-19-2014, 08:37 AM
It's possible to get 30 plus in these trucks, others who live where it is perfectly flat have done it. If that is 34 on the computer, calculate it by hand next time and see what it comes up with. My display is about 1.3 mpg optimistic.

maxpower220
08-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Maybe you're 1.3 pessimistic.

zsqure
08-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Maybe you're 1.3 pessimistic.
Maybe I am, but the numbers don't lie. I have read that the fuel mileage in the display is an average of the last 200 miles traveled, I would really like to know if that's true.

rgardjr1
08-22-2014, 12:31 PM
My display is about 1.3 mpg optimistic.

I have the 5.7L Hemi and my hand calcs are always 1.5-2.5 mpg lower than what the truck is reporting. Closest I get is when I tow heavy and then it can get within .5 mpg, but truck display has always reported higher than my hand calculations.

zsqure
09-13-2014, 02:30 PM
How's this for hiway mpg?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/14/pajusegy.jpg

CruisinGA
09-13-2014, 10:39 PM
If I drove 60 my mileage would be pretty good too :)

Retoxtony
09-14-2014, 12:23 AM
I'd like to know if thats accurate after its hand calculated. Not calling BS just genuinely interested. Its nice to see a company finally putting a diesel in a half ton truck, i just wish GM would finally get a small Duramax after hearing rumors for years about it.

zsqure
09-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Actually that is an average speed including a couple potty breaks. Mostly cruise set on 72-74. Will post back with the fill up. I would think maybe a touch over 28.

Aric'sX15
09-14-2014, 01:11 PM
I'd like to know if thats accurate after its hand calculated. Not calling BS just genuinely interested. Its nice to see a company finally putting a diesel in a half ton truck, i just wish GM would finally get a small Duramax after hearing rumors for years about it.

Well it will be in the colorado and canyon...

zsqure
09-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Actual mpg for the entire tank was 27.3. Oh well it is what it is.

BrianM
09-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Still pretty darn good.

Retoxtony
09-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Well it will be in the colorado and canyon...

Ya but i cant see a 2.8L diesel in a compact truck being up to the task of towing a decent size boat. If they ever get the 4.5L duramax in a half ton truck it would be a winner i think.

Aric'sX15
09-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Im curious to see how the 3.0 does with like an xstar or G21

MattsCraft
09-14-2014, 07:11 PM
I tow my X25 with a 3.0 Diesel, blows any 5.7 liter gasser out of the water towing and in fuel mileage.

I average 27 MPG all around and 14 MPG towing (mountains included) and I am not shy with it normal driving or towing.8p