PDA

View Full Version : GPS speedo

tommcat
11-05-2005, 04:32 PM
both speedos on my 97 205 are inop. i want to install a GPS speedo in place of one of them but the only ones i've found so far have white faces and it will look out of place with the other black gauges. has anyone seem them in black?

tom

wiltok
11-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Try here:

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/gps.htm#GPS_SKI

tommcat
11-06-2005, 12:00 PM
that is perfect, thank you

88 PS190
11-06-2005, 07:54 PM
hear complaints about them not refreshing quickly enough for course times etc.? I think the concept of a gps speedo is great, but they need one that goes 0-60, w/ enough updates per second to reliably show speed and acceleration, unless you run w/ a PP as well.

erkoehler
11-06-2005, 07:56 PM
I think it would be better if it went higher in MPH instead of skipping so high after 36

tommcat
11-06-2005, 08:15 PM
i mostly wakeboard and the few people i have ski dont go over 36 so that works perfect for my needs.
and the slight inconvenience of the update speed is fine, i am in waters that clog pitots frequently so a regular speedo rarely works anyway.

88 PS190
11-06-2005, 08:22 PM
don't see how it works fine for your needs, seeing that they're mainly in increments of 10 mph up to 100+ and that for wakeboarding you'd rather have numerous increments going to around 30, but considering the boat only goes around 50 a 50 top end w/ increments of 5, and alot more visablility would help.

Although the digital one might work fine. Remember that you need a guage and a reciever unit, so make sure you get the unit as well..

tommcat
11-06-2005, 10:48 PM
don't see how it works fine for your needs, seeing that they're mainly in increments of 10 mph up to 100+ and that for wakeboarding you'd rather have numerous increments going to around 30, but considering the boat only goes around 50 a 50 top end w/ increments of 5, and alot more visablility would help.

Although the digital one might work fine. Remember that you need a guage and a reciever unit, so make sure you get the unit as well..
which one are you looking at? the livorsi i'm going to buy is in .5 MPH increments with a top speed of 52. :confused:

erkoehler
11-06-2005, 11:06 PM
The one in the link goes by 2mph up to 36 and then goes up to 10mph increments.

whitedog
11-06-2005, 11:52 PM
The one in the link goes by 2mph up to 36 and then goes up to 10mph increments.

If you look further in Livorsi's web site they have a GPS speedo calibrated for ski and wake board bosts. .5 mph increments and max speed of like 54mph. We use them on the clubs hydrodynes.

Be sure to order the kit as it includes all antenas and cables needed. Not inexpensive but worth it if you are going that route.

erkoehler
11-06-2005, 11:59 PM
The only one that I would consider putting in my boat as a footer would be the digital one, the rest don't seem to be as accurate past 40mph.

whitedog
11-07-2005, 12:19 AM
hear complaints about them not refreshing quickly enough for course times etc.? I think the concept of a ggps is great, but they need one that goes 0-60, w/ enough updates per second to reliably show speed and acceleration, unless you run w/ a PP as well.

If higher refresh rate are necessary you can buy the componets from this company.
Trimble www.trimble.com/index.htm (http://www.trimble.com/index.html)

They build the stuff used to fly supersonic planes and missles.
they also are the leaders in mapping and consummer GPS along with garmin products.

JDK
11-07-2005, 12:58 AM
The only one that I would consider putting in my boat as a footer would be the digital one, the rest don't seem to be as accurate past 40mph.

'seem to be accurate'? ...... they are A LOT more accurate than the factory speedo's.

erkoehler
11-07-2005, 01:05 AM
I meant that I didn't like the way that the numbers were separated. I guess it is just personal preference.

Leroy
11-07-2005, 01:52 AM
THis looks great to me. I can't match your comments to this picture?

NEW!! GPS TOURNAMENT SKI SPEEDO!!!

Designed for the skier and wake boarder

0-52 mph

Expanded scaled between 16-36 mph

No need to calibrate for wind and current

No pitot tube needed

tommcat
11-07-2005, 06:42 PM
leroy, that is the one i plan on getting. looks like it's perfect for my needs. just trying to find a good price on one now

Holtrodj
11-07-2005, 06:55 PM
If you look further in Livorsi's web site they have a GPS speedo calibrated for ski and wake board bosts. .5 mph increments and max speed of like 54mph. We use them on the clubs hydrodynes.

Be sure to order the kit as it includes all antenas and cables needed. Not inexpensive but worth it if you are going that route.

How has your expierence been with these, Whtedog? This seems like a great idea! No need to calibrate or worry about weeds!

88 PS190
11-07-2005, 07:01 PM
$416 dollars for the full kit in black. The gauge
features expanded tig marks from 16 to 36 at every 1/2 mile per hour so they
are extremly accurate as well as quick (there is almost a tenth of a second
in the time it takes to register speed changes)

from livorsi marine.

erkoehler
11-08-2005, 02:54 AM
THis looks great to me. I can't match your comments to this picture?

NEW!! GPS TOURNAMENT SKI SPEEDO!!!

Designed for the skier and wake boarder

0-52 mph

Expanded scaled between 16-36 mph

No need to calibrate for wind and current

No pitot tube needed

I just don't like how the numbers stop going by 2's after 36. As a footer, the majority of my time is spent at 40+ and I just would rather see the numbers there as well. I am sure it works great though.

88 PS190
11-08-2005, 03:20 AM
I know what you mean, suppose if you have a PP you can ignore it most of the time though.

ajgressette
11-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Jest duck tape one of them hand held units from Wall-Mark to the winder-shield and be done wiff it.

whitedog
11-08-2005, 12:25 PM
How has your expierence been with these, Whtedog? This seems like a great idea! No need to calibrate or worry about weeds!

They are very reliable. The oldest one we have has gone through 6 seasons with no problems. The newest model we have has differential correction and could be connected to a PDA, laptop, or other mapping device with gps capability. It has sub foot accuracy. Digital display shows tenths of a mph, more accurate than the boat throttles.