PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Prostar 190 Restoration

csprange
03-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Hi,
I am new to posting to this forum, used it a fair bit for advice.
I bought my first ski boat last spring and used it all summer (and loved it). This summer I want to fix up a few of the components and get rid of my 'patch jobs' on the inside. Last year I focused on bringing the exterior back to good with hours of oxidation removal and wax/polishes, gave the swim platform a healthy drink of teak oil (it was very thirsty), patched some of the poor interior spots, and had a custom cover made for it.

My questions for this summers to-do list are around the interior:
- I definitely need some new skins or have it all re-upholstered. I emailed Chris at the UpholsteryWorkshop. I am concerned as my skins probably can't be used as templates...

- the driver seat is in very bad shape (skins ripped, foam missing) Can it simply be replaced?

- the slider on the driver seat does not move. Is there a product to fix this other than WD-40? Can I buy a new slider assembly??

- Both speedometers are busted. Can they be repaired? or do they need to be replaced??

I am up in Canada and we still have 2 feet of snow but boating is definitely on my mind now.

csprange
03-20-2014, 10:20 PM
First picture is when I first bought it, second is the difference a day of detailing makes, third picture is my awesome patch job with remnants of marine vinyl, fourth is after a season in the water.

atihanyi
03-20-2014, 11:37 PM
As far as the speedo goes I used a perfect pass gps speedo and love it and they are reasonably priced too!

gweaver
03-21-2014, 12:29 AM
I don't know how bad your rear seat is, and I don't know how much you want to keep it original, but I rebuilt my rear bench (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54881) and created more storage space. I also removed the ski lockers, which were pretty rotten, to create more room. Haven't replaced them- just going to keep the extra space for walking around. As far as the interior goes, I think I'm going to order the fabric, then have individual pieces done as I can afford it. I figure if I do a good job keeping the boat covered and the seats clean, there shouldn't be too much of a color difference between the first piece done and the last.
G

csprange
03-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Atihanyi can you explain more about the perfect pass speedo. Does it fit the existing spot in the dashboard? Will it work with the age of my boat?

Gweaver: the seats and side panels are still in good structural shape so I probably don't need to change them. I do understand the desire for extra space. I put a cup holder from a much newer mastercraft into the passenger side ski locker as a bit of a modification (you can see it in one of the pictures). I probably would keep the same layout and set up as stock but I like your idea of slowing recovering pieces but buying all the material first.

atihanyi
03-22-2014, 01:12 AM
Yes it fits the existing hole . The gps reciever is inside the unit so no external puck . It has a digital read out and is almost trouble free . Very easy to install only three wires. keyed power ,constant power and ground if I remember right . Bought mine from Midwest mastercrafts online store for a couple hundred bucks . I think they are a bit more expensive now but you cant beat the accuracy .And yes it will work with any boat

csprange
03-22-2014, 12:36 PM
thanks! I'll check it out

catamount
03-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Nice boat... where in Canada? The seat sliders are readily available at your local MC dealer for around $35. If you don't have a local dealer, BAWS or RAMBO marine can get them for you.

Jerseydave
03-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Nice boat... where in Canada? The seat sliders are readily available at your local MC dealer for around $35. If you don't have a local dealer, BAWS or RAMBO marine can get them for you.

He could try Midwest Mastercraft. Maybe you have not heard but BAWS is no longer in business. Sorry to threadjack.

csprange
03-29-2014, 11:58 PM
I will look into those sliders. I ordered the gps speedo, mentioned above in this thread, yesterday.

I'm up in Winnipeg/Lake of the Woods area of Canada. Snow is finally starting to maybe melt....

csprange
06-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Finally got my boat out of storage. Installed the new gps speedometer (thanks atihanyi) and I have to install my new seat gliders when I get the seat recovered / replaced.

I have a few more questions about other things in the boat:
1) the ski pole is in poor shape, flaking, and looks like it is binding near the base due to the flaking of it. There is a 2001 prostar parts boat for sale on the site with a ski pole - would it work with my 1989 prostar?
2) I would like to upgrade the carb on the boat, is this a simple upgrade? Are there people who have upgraded ones? what do you have???
3) I am trying to determine if the transmission is the 1.5.1 or the regular one. If I post a picture can it be determined??

Right now I just sent my drivers seat to be recovered, not sure if it will be cheaper to re-do the seat with new vinyl and foam (in bad shape) or to purchase a whole new seat.

Feedback is very appreciated!

stuartmcnair
06-02-2014, 03:23 PM
there is a label on the transmission that will tell you.

csprange
06-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Still looking for a few answers to questions above. Thanks stuartmcnair, i'll look on the transmission, hopefully i can see something!

Anyone have good links to replacement steering wheel options? Looked up Grant steering wheels from forum searching on here, anyone have success with them? other options?? My steering wheel is a little sun damaged and the rubber is flaking off....

csprange
07-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Hi all, looking for replacement drain plugs for the engine. When I bought the boat some of the plugs to drain the engine for winter seemed like they were not stock and maybe replacement and some are starting to show wear from overuse. In the interest of not having issues in the future I would like to replace these but can't seem to locate the parts. I am sure someone on here with far greater knowledge of these boats would be able to direct me on maybe finding these parts.

Also attached is an engine pic, I can't find a tag on the engine to identify the engine I have in the boat and would like to know this for when I am getting parts and just for general interest. Not sure if it is possible to identify with just a picture from the back, I thought I had other pictures....

Thanks!

cbryan70
07-09-2014, 01:43 PM
its a ford 351

csprange
07-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks cbryan70.

cbryan70
07-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Part Numbers for the Ford 351

Oil Filter is Motorcraft FL1A, Napa Gold 1515, Fram PH-8A or comparable WIX filter.

Fuel Filter Element is NAPA part # 3943 or #39413 (I've seen both). I'm also told that for the Racor canister filter used up through 91, the universal part # is R11T from Parker, and is the same as skidim's part number 0501.

Spin on Fuel Filter (early 90s MCs) is WIX #33225 (From NAPA)

Spark Plug Wire Set is PCM RA121008/9

Shaft Packing is 1/4" for 1:1 and 3/16" for 1.5:1

Distributor Cap NAPA part # AL171

Rotor is NAPA part # AL163

Spark Plugs for 351 HO are Autolite 764 (Copper), gap 0.035; Spark Plugs for the 351 are Autolite 24 plugs (Copper) gap 0.035.

Impeller is Johnson 812 (splined)

Water Pump Belt for 351 HO is NAPA XL 25 7448

PCV Valve is NAPA Part #2-9210; or Motorcraft # EV-68 2F16

csprange
07-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Awesome! Much appreciated. Just picked up packing material today and bought both 1/4 and 3/16. I have the 1:1 so now I know which one to use!