PDA

View Full Version : Are your kids on the internet?

Ryan
11-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I didn't want to threadjack the "I didn't want to derail the Sex Offender's Map thread....."

This morning I watched a very shocking teaser on the Today show: "...estimated that at any given time there are 50,000 computer preditors online, looking to hook up with children." Adults prowling the Web at any given moment to meet children found Dateline cameras instead (Chris Hansen, Dateline correspondent)

Tonight on Dateline NBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9878187/#051103a) there is an online setup where Dateline poses as a 13 y/o boy and are solicited by everyone from a Rabbi to Joe Schmoe to meet. IT'S INSANE how many sick perv's go through with it, make arrangements to come over to the 'entrapment house' and then continue to talk on camera!!! I hate the fear that the news media thrives on, but the number of people that went over for a 'visit' sold me that this is a bigger problem than avian flu.

[http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/)]Video Preview[/URL]
edit - the other click through didn't work look for 'Preview'

bcampbe7
11-04-2005, 11:53 AM
This is scary indeed. I saw something similar to this a few years ago. A group of citizens got together and were posing online as underaged girls. They would capture the pervs on camera coming to the house. Pretty sick individuals.
I think the FBI needs to do some of this undercover work (which they do) but instead of arresting them, just shoot-to-kill when they come through the door.

PendO
11-04-2005, 12:19 PM
but instead of arresting them, just shoot-to-kill when they come through the door.

Well, kids may be able to mask where they have been on the computer, but unless they know the router password your log is there ... I'd agree, put a few more sicko's in the ground! Honestly, if you could solve easties brain teaser ... (I'll stop before I get in too much trouble)

bcampbe7
11-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Honestly, if you could solve easties brain teaser ... (I'll stop before I get in too much trouble)

Hey, I solved the teaser....finally. :confused:

dog paw
11-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Not making light of the subjet but I find Dateline and the today show just as vile stooping to any level for a rating. Think about it for a second, some perv commits a felony on camara and sits and chats with bonehead phillips?? come on! Poor ole stone would be cut down so fast his head would spin..... IMO people need to take a little more responsibility for there childrens saftey. Man this stuff fires me up fast LOL!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 01:42 PM
And I wonder why I don't watch the news... I believe everything I read on the internet though... Its all true.....:uglyhamme

LakePirate
11-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Bless you Dog Paw Bless you.

My wife loves the Today show. I think it is the biggest load of crap on TV. Katie Couric has to be the worst "journalist" on the face of the earth.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Bless you Dog Paw Bless you.

My wife loves the Today show. I think it is the biggest load of crap on TV. Katie Couric has to be the worst "journalist" on the face of the earth.
Yeah, but cute to look at.

And Ms. donahey. Ohhhhh....

BriEOD
11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
I think Ryan's got a valid point.

Conversely though, I think the media in general are a bunch of slime buckets. They'll exploit anything to get ratings. They invade privacy, lie, embellish, whatever. Someone needs to give those @$$ hats an ethics class.

Katie Courics face looks like a leather hand bag. The Fox News gal ED is better looking than Katie.

LakePirate
11-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Don't know if you guys watch E-Ring but the character that Dennis Hopper plays has the best solution to dealing with the media I have seen.

Drop a set of keys in a shady neighborhood, with the name and address of the individual causing the problem on them that offer a $1000 dollar reward for them to be returned. Then when the person seeking the reward arrives and they don't pay the reward they get pummelled. I know it's Hollywood, but it looks fun.

dog paw
11-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I knew I liked you Lake Pirate LOL! Leather Handbag :D The visual of her colan exam hangs with me also :eek:

There's a lot of things going on I feel are way out of line. Don't bash me, I could drop the hammer on a sexual pred in a instant BUT>> I think the offenders map is way out of line. People need to follow the old saying "if you mind your own bussiness than you won't be minding mine". If those people have payed there dues and did the time than there life should not be available to any joe with a PC. Sexual preds do not scare me, drunk drivers do, how about domestics? Encopasses a lot more people eh? Might have some of us on the map compleat with a mugshot....... anyhow E Ring is a good show I thought it might be cheesy but it is entertaining

PendO
11-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Katie Courics face looks like a leather hand bag. The Fox News gal ED is better looking than Katie.

Yeah, a mug like her's could kill a swimsuit thread ... what I was saying earlier was ... on my property the perv. meets Mr. Glock off my property, if I have to track him down, it will be easier to find J Hoffa than that poor SOB when my dad and I were finished!

BriEOD
11-04-2005, 06:45 PM
I hear ya Casey and I feel the same way.

PendO
11-04-2005, 06:49 PM
At least with the drunk driver its overt ... whereas the pervs try to operate under the radar and you let your guard down ... I love the map! As for the idea that these people can "pay their dues" ... there is no way they ever make amends for those actions (forgiveness is different than regaining trust)... I'd share my dinner table with a cold blooded murderer before I would a convicted and reformed sexual predator. Not saying I am looking forward to either, and not saying it is open season on sexual predators (I'll let their fate rest with God and/or with the parents of the kid(s) they went after)... F' with my family and you roll the dice!

I knew I liked you Lake Pirate LOL! Leather Handbag :D The visual of her colan exam hangs with me also :eek:

There's a lot of things going on I feel are way out of line. Don't bash me, I could drop the hammer on a sexual pred in a instant BUT>> I think the offenders map is way out of line. People need to follow the old saying "if you mind your own bussiness than you won't be minding mine". If those people have payed there dues and did the time than there life should not be available to any joe with a PC. Sexual preds do not scare me, drunk drivers do, how about domestics? Encopasses a lot more people eh? Might have some of us on the map compleat with a mugshot....... anyhow E Ring is a good show I thought it might be cheesy but it is entertaining

6ballsisall
11-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Unbelievable!! I am watching this dateline story right now. There are some incredible sick people out there!! I can't believe they are letting the guys walk out that did this. Where are the frickin' police officers to haul em off!! :eek: :mad:

bcampbe7
11-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Unbelievable!! I am watching this dateline story right now. There are some incredible sick people out there!! I can't believe they are letting the guys walk out that did this. Where are the frickin' police officers to haul em off!! :eek: :mad:

I watched it too Jeff. Sickening is putting it lightly. :mad:

phecksel
11-07-2005, 11:31 AM
How appropriate this conversation is going on after finding my 14 yo naive (seriously) daughter posting stuff on an internet site for teens. We monitor all her inbound emails, it's automatically bcc'd to my wife. There was a message from a less then desirable friend she wanted me to take a look at, but I was more disturbed by the 30+ messages from a web site. The messages by themselves didn't look like a problem, but the qty raised flags. Wandered off to the site, guessed her user name and password, and was floored by what she wrote in her profile. Her computer is now disconnected from the internet, her email is locked out, and we had a serious heart to heart. Read out loud what she wrote, and asked her what she thought of this persons profile. She seriously said, "that girl's a slutty whore". Well guess what, it's what you wrote in your profile. Then we started talking about the number of sex offenders that live nearby, and how she could be putting her sister, and us, in danger. Later this week a local PD is doing a seminar on the internet and teens.

bcampbe7
11-07-2005, 12:04 PM
How appropriate this conversation is going on after finding my 14 yo naive (seriously) daughter posting stuff on an internet site for teens. We monitor all her inbound emails, it's automatically bcc'd to my wife. There was a message from a less then desirable friend she wanted me to take a look at, but I was more disturbed by the 30+ messages from a web site. The messages by themselves didn't look like a problem, but the qty raised flags. Wandered off to the site, guessed her user name and password, and was floored by what she wrote in her profile. Her computer is now disconnected from the internet, her email is locked out, and we had a serious heart to heart. Read out loud what she wrote, and asked her what she thought of this persons profile. She seriously said, "that girl's a slutty whore". Well guess what, it's what you wrote in your profile. Then we started talking about the number of sex offenders that live nearby, and how she could be putting her sister, and us, in danger. Later this week a local PD is doing a seminar on the internet and teens.

Good catch Phecksel! Good parenting by staying on top of things and discussing it with your daughter. Hopefully she will learn from this.

phecksel
11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Good catch Phecksel! Good parenting by staying on top of things and discussing it with your daughter. Hopefully she will learn from this.
Last night we attending an internet safety seminar put on by the local police department and the state police. It was somewhat eye opening, as they showed how easy it was to track down a girl who posted very little information. It wasn't anything I didn't already know, but to see it actually in action... They also talked about a recent arrest where a guy flew from Australia to hook up with a 13 yo girl. Another guy was on a plane within two hours of agreeing to meet a 14 yo girl.

Result of all this, I may back off on my restrictions, but enforce them even tighter then I do now.

Leroy
11-16-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't want to sound to heavy.... but

You also have to know that the sexual predators have a sickness as bad as alcoholism and they cannot pay their dues and be OK. They will do their sick crime again and again without admitting their sickness and going through a lot of help. Instead of backsliding and getting smashed they grab a neighborhood kid and when you know this and have kids the map is a great first step! Indianapolis actually had a mandatory meeting of certain registered sexual predators from 6-9pm on Halloween. Two years ago I think I made a statement similar to you, but after couple of near grabs in our neighborhood and nearby plus reading about the sickness, we need a MADD type response for this crime.

All of my kids are on the internet, I read chat logs, check the IE history, and let them know I can see what they do.