PDA

View Full Version : SLED-jack'd

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Neverending SLED-jack.

Sorry,
I just couldn't steal the title name even though it wasn't the same.......

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 09:46 AM
The Mach Z came out as a 2005 model, and I bought the Gade in 2004. The Mach Z does not really fit my riding style, and the 800ho has more than enough juice for me.. We spend most of our time riding the powerlines and boondocking in the U.P. so the longer track(136") works well. My buddy had a 2005 Mach Z and it was fun if you spend all of your time lake racing(LAME). It is fun to go 110 mph for a while, but I would rather pick a line through tight trees up a hill in waist deep snow and try not getting stuck. Even trail riding is getting boring for me as of late. The new 1000cc Renegade is a cool looking sled and my dealer friend has one as his demo so I am sure I will spend some time on it this Winter, but I still don't see where I need a 1000. I am actually trying to downgrade to a 440 again. They are so light and just a blast to ride I hear that. I don't have the means for storing a ton of sleds like my buddies do. Alot of them have many. One guy has about 10. Some of which include 600's on up through 1200cc's He is a Polaris guy as is his daughter, and her husband. A polaris family persay.
I wish I could comment more on Doos. The one guy that has a Mach Z from last year, NEVER once came on any trips with us last year. He sold his F7 for it. We seem to think it was because there are 3 other F7's in the group, and he wanted something different. I still don't know if he ever actually uncovered it yet.
The other doo around is owned by a non doo guy, although it isn't a factory sled, he took a 583 sled and put in a 440 fan. He uses it as his beater sled.

Datdude
11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I am really not brand loyal,but I rode the REV and was hooked. I used to ride a 2002 MXZ 700 and it was a great sled, but after a 100+ mile day on the trails my back was shot. Since I have switched to the REV I have honestly not gotten off the sled with a sore back...even after a few 250 mile days. Being able to ride standing straight up for 50 plus miles through the washboards that are Northern Wisconsin trails (Fri-Sun) is PRICELESS. I have heard some complain that their knees get sore, but I have not experienced that. As soon as any other manufacturer comes out with a truly "rider forward" sled I will take a look. We should get a TMC sled trip set up for those who are interested. I would put my vote in for Minocqua, but that could be discussed if it all works out

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 12:02 PM
I am really not brand loyal,but I rode the REV and was hooked. I used to ride a 2002 MXZ 700 and it was a great sled, but after a 100+ mile day on the trails my back was shot. Since I have switched to the REV I have honestly not gotten off the sled with a sore back...even after a few 250 mile days. Being able to ride standing straight up for 50 plus miles through the washboards that are Northern Wisconsin trails (Fri-Sun) is PRICELESS. I have heard some complain that their knees get sore, but I have not experienced that. As soon as any other manufacturer comes out with a truly "rider forward" sled I will take a look. We should get a TMC sled trip set up for those who are interested. I would put my vote in for Minocqua, but that could be discussed if it all works out
So far, we are booked for the first week in Jan, Feb and March.
We are going to head up for the winterfest and Wienie roast events. Both of which are race oriented, but lots of fun for those that don't. Including the world's largest wienie roast...
We will FOR SURE be heading to lower Mich as soon as it snows(and it will, as always). I have Eric on my inform list when we hit it, (if he doesn't have to work;) )
I am all for a trip...

You ever hit lower Mich? We had about a 60 mile ride last season, and we met up with 6 others on the trails we ended up riding with the rest of the day, including hitting a lunch stop and fuel with.
it's no where near as rider friendly as N. Wisc. but it was only an 1 1/2 away, and our riders with kids (including myself find it much easier to break away for a day run instead of 3 or 4 day)

Datdude
11-03-2005, 12:55 PM
You ever hit lower Mich?

My riding friends live in Milwaukee and leave their sleds at my house so most of our riding is around Minocqua or we trailer 2 hours and drop off just south of Houghton and ride off-trail in the U.P.. Where in Northern Wisconsin do you normally ride? I know CruiserFest is a big thing here in Minocqua in Feb. if I remeber right? I think there are enough TMC members in the midwest that are into sleds that it would be worth meeting up sometime?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 01:51 PM
We used to ride some in Twin Lakes, Wisc. But due to lake of snow these last few years we found our way up to Hayward, Gogibic, and western U.P. some of the guys have family up there, so it is somewhat easy. Although 8 hours away. Last year one trip took us 14 hours to get there because of a huge storm on the way through Madison on up.

Sorry about the lower Mich suggestion, I was thinking you were closer than you are.

I would certainly be up for a trip for a day or so up by you. The trips we have booked are done, set in stone. We have alot of people to make arrangements for and has to be done early so we can fit everyone.

But the other weekends are somewhat open. We could get together sometime up there. You will have to keep me up to date on you weather. I am assuming you start to get hit within the next week or so and hopefully keep it through March. But you never know. I think it is going to be an outstanding year for snow. (My meteorlogical intuition)

It's a HOT NOV 3, 70 degrees here today... YUK!! And the boats put away, double YUK!!!:eek:

What is CruiserFest?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Haven't seen any of the Apex machines out, but have ridden w/ a couple RX-1's and a TRX once.
My piped 800 RMK handed a RX-1 MTN his a$$ in a straight drag race, and it was a 40 deg day where I couldn't ride 1/2 mi w/o putting the scratchers down.
Turbo, though, look out! The TRX I ran w/ was mild boost 8-9 psi I believe. He said it was pushing close to 200 hp and I believe it. The TRX was carrying 60-65mph trackspeed where I was gettin 40-45mph tops.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Apex if I had the money to spend. Especially for back east ridin. I've also seen some Turbo'd sleds just puke their way to the finish line. There is an awful lot of stress on those engines, especially when these guys think they can beat the cr*p out of them without touching the engine and hit the boost to 12. I've seen some guys advertise their kits as stock engine with 200+hp by just adding the kit. Little do they know just how many engines they had to change to be able to say thay.
The last race event I was at about two weeks ago, the turbo's RX1 came in FAR last place of a 4 sled race. F7, then a custom modified something I could not tell, then another F7, then the turbo'd Yami. It was open mod 800 class I believe.

Datdude
11-03-2005, 05:00 PM
We used to ride some in Twin Lakes, Wisc. But due to lake of snow these last few years we found our way up to Hayward, Gogibic, and western U.P. some of the guys have family up there, so it is somewhat easy. Although 8 hours away. Last year one trip took us 14 hours to get there because of a huge storm on the way through Madison on up.

Sorry about the lower Mich suggestion, I was thinking you were closer than you are.

I would certainly be up for a trip for a day or so up by you. The trips we have booked are done, set in stone. We have alot of people to make arrangements for and has to be done early so we can fit everyone.

But the other weekends are somewhat open. We could get together sometime up there. You will have to keep me up to date on you weather. I am assuming you start to get hit within the next week or so and hopefully keep it through March. But you never know. I think it is going to be an outstanding year for snow. (My meteorlogical intuition)

It's a HOT NOV 3, 70 degrees here today... YUK!! And the boats put away, double YUK!!!:eek:

What is CruiserFest?

CruiserFest is the festival here in Minocqua put on by the Cross Country Cruisers (the local snowmobile club). They have radar runs, and some parties and stuff....nothing major. I will keep you posted on the weather and snow up here. I have room for 2-3 people at our house if we can figure something out on a weekend or whatever. There is a chance for rain/snow mix on Sunday, but next week looks to be in the low 50's. We had decent snow here last year by the 2nd week in December if I remember right. We rode North of Ashland on the 1st weekend of December 2 years ago so it is not too far away :headbang: .

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP :)

bigmac
11-03-2005, 05:19 PM
:popcorn: So, do you guys pull tubes behind your snowmobiles? If so, which is better - the Arctic Cats or the SkiDoos? :popcorn:

erkoehler
11-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Two years ago we rode in Vilas county and to the north right around december 10-14.

I hope to take my first trip the last week of december and first week of january.

JDK
11-03-2005, 05:48 PM
I've seen some guys advertise their kits as stock engine with 200+hp by just adding the kit. Little do they know just how many engines they had to change to be able to say thay.
The last race event I was at about two weeks ago, the turbo's RX1 came in FAR last place of a 4 sled race. F7, then a custom modified something I could not tell, then another F7, then the turbo'd Yami. It was open mod 800 class I believe.

Sounds like you are going to be even more p!ssed off at boosted Yamaha's this coming winter than you were last winter.
MPI's supercharger kit is totally sold out until Jan 2006 (5 psi=180 hp. on premium and 10 psi=220 hp on 50-50 94/110).
Then there's the turbo guys. The one's I'm familiair with (Powder Lites and Alpine.....and they are little guys compared to Bender, Simons CPR and MCX) are selling A LOT more kits than they did last year.
Sounds to me like all these guys putting down $5k for one of these kits don't share the same opinion about reliability as you do......and many of these guys are ride in places where a breakdown can mean getting the sled carried out by a helicopter.

Getting back to your post above though...... do you think sleds that are competitive in an open mod class have any similarity to a machine that can be ridden on a 300 mile ride.... which is what A LOT of guys that buy 10 psi and under kits are doing?

erkoehler
11-03-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't understand it, it is great to go fast, and it is greater to beat your buddies, but where do you draw the line? I have done 100+ on my sled and had it with the gps, and at that speed one mistake you are done. What is the need to do 140????

Datdude
11-03-2005, 05:58 PM
:popcorn: So, do you guys pull tubes behind your snowmobiles? If so, which is better - the Arctic Cats or the SkiDoos? :popcorn:

Ski Doos are better. Arctic Cats are unreliable seem to break down A LOT :). We used to pull people on snow skis when I was a kid until my neighbor broke his leg on our lake :) . Tubes would be fun......might have to try that this winter.

erkoehler
11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Ski Doos are better. Arctic Cats are unreliable seem to break down A LOT :). We used to pull people on snow skis when I was a kid until my neighbor broke his leg on our lake :) . Tubes would be fun......might have to try that this winter.

I have had very good luck with my Arctic Cat, lets not turn this into a my sled is better than yours thread?

JDK
11-03-2005, 06:03 PM
What is the need to do 140????

There is no need. I would venture a guess that 80% of the turbo Yamaha kits are sold West of Saskatchewan/North Dakota for riding in mountains and snow that is bottomless.
Did you notice the post about trackspeed above. This determines whether you keep moving or get stuck.
Once you've driven a sled with more than 200hp. or 300 hp. at wide open, and you are only moving 40 or 50 mph you will be hooked.Currently, there is only on manufacturer that can offer this kind of power (the other guys aren't even in the game).

6ballsisall
11-03-2005, 06:06 PM
I sold the stock turbo of my Dodge Cummins (Holset HY-35) to a guy who put it on a snowmobile. He was buying up left and right from guys off the TDR for that purpose. Thats one big arse turbo for an engine that size. I can't believe it could spool something up like that!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Getting back to your post above though...... do you think sleds that are competitive in an open mod class have any similarity to a machine that can be ridden on a 300 mile ride.... which is what A LOT of guys that buy 10 psi and under kits are doing?

Some 200hp triple 2 stroke(not that its uncommon by any means) can be riden all day, and is sometimes as light as a stocker or most times even lighter.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Sorry to say, but ALL of them break down. My Cat has yet to, oh wait, that might be because I just bought it. And my yami, well its a 2 stroke 2 cyl, what can I say, maybe the one exception to my comment.....;)

Hopefully never, but the inevitable will happen. Especially riding them as you described before.
And as for ride quality. Most riders don't have any idea how to set up their suspensions for themselves. Rather ride as is, which from the most part, is not the best from the factory. And on top of that, alot of riders do not have their shocks rebuilt annually. In which significantly decreases ride quality.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 06:56 PM
What is the need to do 140????
How about the guys running 160MPH in 1000'? Now that just ain't right...
But then again, there are the John Force's of the world running 1/4 mile doing 330MPH plus in a car.

You know there are some guys putting JET engines on snowmobiles, and about anything you can think of?

There will be that forever drive to be the fastest and quickest, as long as there are human beings on this planet. I for one, would love to drive ANYONE of these machines listed above. With the only fear that it would make me want to do it again, and again.:D

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Eric, you got any free weekends in dec or jan to head up and meet with these guys?

erkoehler
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Eric, you got any free weekends in dec or jan to head up and meet with these guys?

The guys in Minocqua?

erkoehler
11-03-2005, 10:15 PM
WFT,

On a different subject, I saw the crosstec helmets on ebay for 149.99. Just for your reference. Thought you might want to check out the different pics. Looks like a cool helmet.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 10:17 PM
WFT,

On a different subject, I saw the crosstec helmets on ebay for 149.99. Just for your reference.
GO ahead and ask them a question about them. Let me know if they respond to you. And is there a reserve?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 10:18 PM
The guys in Minocqua?
Yeah. I am meeting with some riders tomorrow night. I will bring it up.

erkoehler
11-03-2005, 10:18 PM
GO ahead and ask them a question about them. Let me know if they respond to you. And is there a reserve?

It was a buy it now of 149.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARCTIC-CAT-CROSSTEC-SNOWMOBILE-HELMET-SABER-ORANGE-MD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ100443QQitemZ8011191 816QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

erkoehler
11-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah. I am meeting with some riders tomorrow night. I will bring it up.

So far, I have a trip planned for Dec. 28th - Jan. 3rd. And am working on one other trip for late January. December is pretty hairy in Vilas County prior to Christmas, although it has been decent the past 2 years. Plus, with being in retail, if I get away in December, it will likely be with only 1-2 days notice. I can't schedule any vacation until after Christmas.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, I'd bet it was an error. They have one in history sold for 249. And it also looks like they are a yamaha dealer from the other stuff.
Maybe they were used for demos or something.

erkoehler
11-03-2005, 10:27 PM
What dates were you thinking in January? What is the schedule like in February?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 09:56 AM
We are going to figure that out tonight. But so far it looks like we have things set for the first weekends of Jan Feb and Mar. Maybe more after tonight.

erkoehler
11-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Keep me posted, I am game for a short weekend any time!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Keep me posted, I am game for a short weekend any time!
Will do, either we'll hook up with Datdude in Wisc, or head over to the coloma area in lower Mich.
I also hope to get invited to ride in edgewood with Thrall, or Canada to ride with Stump, or Oklahoma to ride with Milk, or BradD in Mich, or Bigmac in Minn.
Did I miss any wishful invites???

Datdude
11-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I have had very good luck with my Arctic Cat, lets not turn this into a my sled is better than yours thread?

Cat riders seem to get all defensive-I was just messin around :uglyhamme

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Cat riders seem to get all defensive-I was just messin around :uglyhamme
I must not fit that profile. I wasn't going to acknowledge it. I figured you must have been screwing around. Not sure why you'd invite someone to stay at your house, then slam them on their ride.....But to each their own.

erkoehler
11-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Any dates that you were specifically thinking of in January? What about mid february? There is a long weekend there.....

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Any dates that you were specifically thinking of in January? What about mid february? There is a long weekend there.....
Long weekend in Feb? Are you off for Ash wednesday, Valentines day, presidents day, Lincolns bday, Washingtons bday, or Mexico's flag day? Am I missing something? Or for the Chinese new year?

Datdude
11-04-2005, 03:04 PM
I must not fit that profile. I wasn't going to acknowledge it. I figured you must have been screwing around. Not sure why you'd invite someone to stay at your house, then slam them on their ride.....But to each their own.

My intent was not to offend anyone. In my riding group we are always giving each other a hard time about sleds. I really did not mean any harm by my comments-it was all in fun. Sleds are sleds are sleds and we all enjoy the same sport. Sorry again :toast:

bigmac
11-04-2005, 03:28 PM
My intent was not to offend anyone. In my riding group we are always giving each other a hard time about sleds. I really did not mean any harm by my comments-it was all in fun. Sleds are sleds are sleds and we all enjoy the same sport. Sorry again :toast:

I see rabid brand-loyalty all the time, hydrofoils, boats, snowmobiles, cameras. Some people (no one here AFAIK) tend to get their egos all wrapped up in the equipment they own and it's often the subject of some really extensive and amusing flame wars on the internet. Some people tend to feel best about their equipment if they can make others feel bad about theirs. I've never completely understood it, but I always find it to be interesting. For my part, I'm pretty secure in my choices - if I thought that "Brand-Z" was better than what I owned, I'd just go out and buy Brand-Z.

Personally, I took you're comments as the usual good-natured ribbing that buddies tend to heap on each other on the snowmobile trails, or at the marina, or the local biker bar.

(OK, maybe the biker bar wasn't such a good example...)

Datdude
11-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Personally, I took you're comments as the usual good-natured ribbing that buddies tend to heap on each other on the snowmobile trails, or at the marina, or the local biker bar.

(OK, maybe the biker bar wasn't such a good example...)

That is exactly what it was. Moving on........

erkoehler
11-04-2005, 05:12 PM
I know it was all in good fun, but some of the snowmobile boards that I visit are filled with the my sled is better than yours, mine is faster than yours.....It is just useless BS and gets old. I would hate to see that happen here.

Hopefully we can all meet up for atleast a drink somewhere this weekend.

erkoehler
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Do you guys ever visit:

www.johndee.com

It is a great snowmobile/weather site for the UP and Northern WI

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Do you guys ever visit:

www.johndee.com (http://www.johndee.com/)

I've got a sled video with John Dee in it as commercial. Funny to see the behind the scenes.

bfinley
11-04-2005, 09:59 PM
I went on a John Dee ride last year, pretty cool!! Definitely some of the most challenging riding I have ever done.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 10:01 PM
I went on a John Dee ride last year, pretty cool!! Definitely some of the most challenging riding I have ever done.
Where is LAKE WISCONSIN?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Eric, SO FAR, as of now, we are booked up Jan 5th weekend, Feb 19th weekend, and March 4th weekend. Goin' straight NORTH....

Other than that, it is fly by the seat of my pants....

Datdude
11-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Do you guys ever visit:

www.johndee.com

I visit that site every day in the Winter. He seems to be one of the most accurate forecasts out there. I really like that he specializes in my backyard's weather :friday:

Datdude
11-04-2005, 11:08 PM

we thought of doing one last year. We were wondering if it is worth the money (Cheap for 4 guys). How many times did you get stuck? We usually ride the powerlines near South Range and duck off into the woods and find hills to climb(get stuck). Always a good time up there and it makes trail riding seem boring. BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Ever try www.hardcoresledder.com (http://www.hardcoresledder.com) ?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-05-2005, 10:32 AM
ANYONE here ride in Lower Michigan?

erkoehler
11-06-2005, 06:52 PM
TTT,

WFT,

Those dates sound like a pretty busy sleddin schedule. Hopefully, weather will cooperate and it will be a good year. I will check my work schedule this week and see what we can work out possibly in between those times.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Went out and burned off some dust bunnies from them today. I was tempted to blast across the yard....But withheld, can't bring myself to it until she's broke in...

erkoehler
11-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Went out and burned off some dust bunnies from them today. I was tempted to blast across the yard....But withheld, can't bring myself to it until she's broke in...

I offered to aerate the lawn for my Dad w/ the sled, he declined the offer.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-06-2005, 08:25 PM
I am still waiting for my studs to arrive for the 9. I may take the Trip out for a blast. Its got some old fuel in it that needs to be burnt off.

Aeration sounds perfect.

erkoehler
11-06-2005, 11:26 PM
I am still waiting for my studs to arrive for the 9. I may take the Trip out for a blast. Its got some old fuel in it that needs to be burnt off.

Aeration sounds perfect.

How many are you going to put in?

bfinley
11-07-2005, 08:02 AM
W4T,
Lake Wiscsonsin is about 20 minutes NW of Madison. Actually I live in Prairie du Sac.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-07-2005, 10:34 AM
W4T,
Lake Wiscsonsin is about 20 minutes NW of Madison. Actually I live in Prairie du Sac.

Ok, I gotcha. How good did you get hit last year?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-07-2005, 10:37 AM
How many are you going to put in?
192 to start. I have been going round and round with length though. I am going to start out with 1.175's. If she holds, Ill stick with them. If not, Ill pull the 1.075's from the triple and put in the 175's and step the 9 to 1.375's.

bfinley
11-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Not that great. Just a few good weekends. I do most of my riding in the UP.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Not that great. Just a few good weekends. I do most of my riding in the UP.
We'll be up there a few times, if you see my truck with the decals on the back, feel free to stop by. I am sure we will be everywhere...... Just received a ton of maps and brochures and stuff in the mail.
I am ready!!

erkoehler
11-09-2005, 06:35 AM
We'll be up there a few times, if you see my truck with the decals on the back, feel free to stop by. I am sure we will be everywhere...... Just received a ton of maps and brochures and stuff in the mail.
I am ready!!

What are the towns that you guys are headed to this year?

All I have left to do is change out those pesky slide rails on my F7 and I will be ready to hit it. I still have 20+ days left to do that before I could be behind the 8 ball.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Hayward, Wakefield, & gogebic. (So far)

I am still waiting for my stuff to arrive so i can get the Bill.... Then figure out if I have enough funny money left to foot the studs(if I ever make up my mind.)

Thrall
11-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Will do, either we'll hook up with Datdude in Wisc, or head over to the coloma area in lower Mich.
I also hope to get invited to ride in edgewood with Thrall, or Canada to ride with Stump, or Oklahoma to ride with Milk, or BradD in Mich, or Bigmac in Minn.
Did I miss any wishful invites???

Speaking of invites, we've got a trip planned to Wyoming over the holidays. Dec 29 thru Jan 3-4. Will be heading to the Snowy Range or Togwotee Pass area, depending on who's got better snow. If anyone's planning a trip out there, let me know. I know both areas fairly well and it's a blast.
Aslo planning on hittin' Chama, NM, WOlf Creek/Silverton, CO this year quite a bit.

bigmac
11-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Speaking of invites, we've got a trip planned to Wyoming over the holidays. Dec 29 thru Jan 3-4. Will be heading to the Snowy Range or Togwotee Pass area, depending on who's got better snow. If anyone's planning a trip out there, let me know. I know both areas fairly well and it's a blast.

Never been to Togwotee, but I've spent a lot of time on the Snowy Range - my son was going to school in Laramie. Nice place, but you gotta watch your gas gauge. My only trip out west this year is to West Yellowstone in January. Our group of local snowmobilers chartered a bus again. After years of doing that, they're hauling my sled but I'm flying. 15 hours on the bus is just too brutal - especially so when it's MORE than 15 hours because they've closed the Interstate highway in North Dakota.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/39067722.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/39067724.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/39067727.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/39067736.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2005, 11:45 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_209.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYCSUS)
Mac, that looks like an awesome place to head sometime.

bigmac
11-09-2005, 11:57 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_209.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYCSUS)
Mac, that looks like an awesome place to head sometime.

Snowy Range last January (http://www.pbase.com/hmac/snowy_range)

It's very interesting. Relatively compact area, but the grooming is good and there are a lot more off-trail play areas than the more consumer-oriented venues like West Yellowstone - Island Park area, They handle sled traffic well. LOT'S of snow. Not many places to stay - we've always stayed at the Albany Lodge - adequate bar/restaurant, 2 channels on the TV - that's it. More oriented toward the snowmobile enthusiast area rather than the dilettante. Laramie is only 30 miles away.

Datdude
11-09-2005, 01:53 PM
FYI.....it is SNOWING in Minocqua right now. It is not snowing hard, but it is SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Now I just need a sled :o

Datdude
11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Any of you Illinois guys have anything to say about Nielsen Enterprises? They have a sled I am interested in and was wondering what kind of reputation they have. Thanks. Oh by the way....did I mention it is SNOWING!!!! :)

Zach S
11-09-2005, 03:49 PM
I bought a jet ski from Nielsens. They were pretty good at the time, it has been about 10 years though.

Datdude
11-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks Zach

erkoehler
11-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Any of you Illinois guys have anything to say about Nielsen Enterprises? They have a sled I am interested in and was wondering what kind of reputation they have. Thanks. Oh by the way....did I mention it is SNOWING!!!! :)

I believe that my grandfather has used them in the past for some things, no issues that I am aware of.

GLAD TO HEAR IT IS SNOWING.......if it picks up in intensity, snaps some pics :headbang: :D

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2005, 10:20 PM
What are you looking for? I'll tell you this. I went there shopping for a boat and a snowmobile. I left with a T-SHIRT!
They do have a big sale on the same weekend as the Grayslake show. But that was two months ago. They usually have a TON of used sleds, and rows of repair sleds. Its a pretty big place. I wasn't fond of the prices, but I am not sure what you are buying. I thought you said a Skidoo 440. Used?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2005, 10:22 PM
It was 60 degrees here this morning. Now about 30. I think I may go out and turn on the garage heater. I better get out and prep the trailer for loading. If I get the word from someone we are going, I want to be able to be loaded in about 10 minutes......

WAHOOO!!
I think I toss in the BRAAP 3 movie...

erkoehler
11-09-2005, 11:30 PM
It was 60 degrees here this morning. Now about 30. I think I may go out and turn on the garage heater. I better get out and prep the trailer for loading. If I get the word from someone we are going, I want to be able to be loaded in about 10 minutes......

WAHOOO!!
I think I toss in the BRAAP 3 movie...

I got a sled up there already, when you are ready for a quick overnight first ride of the season, let me know!

Thrall
11-10-2005, 10:38 AM

Neilsen's is a huge dealership now. Personal experience ( I grew up in Grayslake) is their parts are prettyhigh priced, but they stock about everything.
Equip wise, I 've never bought any machines from them, but a buddy bought a boat, new, from them and had several hull issues. After some prodding, they replaced the hull under warranty.

Datdude
11-10-2005, 10:41 AM
What are you looking for? I'll tell you this. I went there shopping for a boat and a snowmobile. I left with a T-SHIRT!
They do have a big sale on the same weekend as the Grayslake show. But that was two months ago. They usually have a TON of used sleds, and rows of repair sleds. Its a pretty big place. I wasn't fond of the prices, but I am not sure what you are buying. I thought you said a Skidoo 440. Used?

They have a NEW 2004 Rev 440 that I am interested in. I have a couple options on new 2006 440s, but for the money the new 2004 would be fine for me and I can put the savings towards my new boat when I find it.

Thanks for the info Thrall. I knew they were quite a large dealership which is nice when it comes to selection, but is sometimes not good when it comes to customer swervice because you become a number and nobody knows your name. When I walk into my local Doo dealer everyone knows who I am and says hi(which is nice). Unfortunately they do not have what I am looking for.

Thrall
11-10-2005, 11:02 AM
For Datdude and anyone else looking for a sled or parts, check out Snowest's site. In the forums their is a comprehensive "swapmeet" section. Probably 1000+ sleds for sale and most any part you're looking for. It's mostly a mtn riding site, but there's quite a few people from the midwest on there. Great source for sled info and stuff for sale. I've bought pipes, new track, VForce's, etc from people on there.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Do they TITLE sleds in your state? As of now IL only does a Registration. But I hear they are trying to push for titles. Just wondering what they do where you are...

Datdude
11-10-2005, 01:22 PM
For Datdude and anyone else looking for a sled or parts, check out Snowest's site. In the forums their is a comprehensive "swapmeet" section. Probably 1000+ sleds for sale and most any part you're looking for. It's mostly a mtn riding site, but there's quite a few people from the midwest on there. Great source for sled info and stuff for sale. I've bought pipes, new track, VForce's, etc from people on there.

My main site is Dootalk.com. I have sold 4 sleds, 2 trailers, and a ton of misc. parts on there. I also check out Snowest, Snowgoer.com, Hardcoresledder.com, Amsnow.com, Johndee.com and a few others. I have looked all over these boards for a sled and have come up basically empty-handed. I have one guy in Central Michigan that may have a sled for sale but won't know for a few weeks which may be too late for me. All of the other 440's out there are trashed race sleds.

W4T,
Sleds in WI do not have titles

Workin' 4 Toys
11-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Well, I am almost ready. My list of stuff came in with the exception of a few things. I was going to wait for it all at once, but I can't wait to try out the helmet.
I still need to wait for the studs and (then install):eek: . So I hope to be ready soon.....

Thrall
11-11-2005, 03:42 PM
W4T,
No titles in CO, WY, AZ and NM for sleds.

bigmac
11-11-2005, 03:51 PM
W4T,
No titles in CO, WY, AZ and NM for sleds.

Nor in Minnesota (although they're making noises like it might happen fairly soon).

I do recall the early 90's when titles weren't required for boats in this state either, and I remember scrambling to find the MSO for one of my boats so I could title it, as required by the then-new law.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Mo money, Mo, Money, Mo money if they switch.

We get three years out of one reg. tag.

Big Spray
11-11-2005, 11:39 PM
It snowed here today, not for long, but it snowed!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-11-2005, 11:41 PM
News is claiming there is some good stuff heading north of us over the next few days.

MAC, I think youll see it first....

bigmac
11-11-2005, 11:49 PM
News is claiming there is some good stuff heading north of us over the next few days.

MAC, I think youll see it first....Sunday. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Sunday. I'll keep my eyes peeled.I want to see the Viper out in some '05/'06 powder.

erkoehler
11-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Sunday. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

If it snows, I would love to see some pics! :)

erkoehler
11-13-2005, 04:12 PM
It is snowing in St. Germain, WI :banana: :banana: :banana:

Good looking long term forecast also: http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=54558&from=weekend_topnav_undeclared

erkoehler
11-13-2005, 04:13 PM
This is from the UP in Twin Lakes :D

erkoehler
11-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Ok, last one:

bigmac
11-13-2005, 06:38 PM
If it snows, I would love to see some pics! :)

I did see a few flakes early this morning, but about noon it turned into a beautiful sunny day. Darn it...

erkoehler
11-13-2005, 07:45 PM
I did see a few flakes early this morning, but about noon it turned into a beautiful sunny day. Darn it...

Thats too bad. I actually had some flurries at my house today, but the actual temp was in the low 40's or upper 30's. I almost had to come home early from work to winterize the boat. I am hoping to make it to next weekend. I have to clean the garage, and take that over for wednesday night since it is supposed to go down to 29 that night.

Thrall
11-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Hey Erk, that first pic is from Northwwods rentals in Mercer, right?
Say hi to Phyllis if you're by there.

We're looking at riding Wolf Creek Pass Thanksgiving weekend. Just got some more snow up there. Should be at least enough to do some road ridin' by then. I think the off trail will still be sketchy unless they get a couple more feet in the next week.

erkoehler
11-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey Erk, that first pic is from Northwwods rentals in Mercer, right?
Say hi to Phyllis if you're by there.

We're looking at riding Wolf Creek Pass Thanksgiving weekend. Just got some more snow up there. Should be at least enough to do some road ridin' by then. I think the off trail will still be sketchy unless they get a couple more feet in the next week.

Yes, that first pic is from the rentals place.

Datdude, you guys are looking to get some serious snow this week....I am coming up tomorrow. We have a tree down on our driveway, and it may have hit the house, so I have to get up there to check that out. Will be great to take that first ride also!!!!

Datdude
11-14-2005, 02:00 PM
I am hearing various reports on estimated snofall amounts. Local weather guys usually won't say how much we are going to get until it starts snowing(morons), but I have heard a minimum of 6" by Wed. morning. John Dee has us in the 8"+ range by Wed. morning and we currently have a Winter Storm Watch. The problem is that I do not have a sled to rip around the yard on :mad: . Hopefully whatever we get sticks around and gives us a good base to start the season with, but the ground is not frozen yet so it probably won't. LET IT SNOW!!!! I will try to take some pics and post them once it starts

erkoehler
11-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately, my F7 is down with the cracked slide rails, but I should be able to use my ZL 600. Just have to do all the preseason work once I get up there. That will teach me to procrastinate on getting the sleds ready :mad:

I will likely take a ton of pics, but won't be able to post until possibly Friday. Don't have the internet up there.

Datdude, do you know of any place with wireless internet that I could pick up the feed on with my laptop?

Datdude
11-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Datdude, do you know of any place with wireless internet that I could pick up the feed on with my laptop?

no I don't

stevo137
11-14-2005, 05:59 PM
OK, you sled guys. One of my customers is selling his toys.
He has a Yamaha and a Polaris, both are bad a**.
He said they do about 130-140 mph range.
I don't know crap about sleds but just thought that I would mention it.
He's supposed to send me pics and info.
Let me know if you are interested.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2005, 07:17 PM
I'd like to see what he is telling you does 140. And how long it takes to get there.....:rolleyes:

stevo137
11-14-2005, 07:50 PM
I'd like to see what he is telling you does 140. And how long it takes to get there.....:rolleyes:
Like I said I don't know crap about sleds but I know that this guy also has an extremely fast bike. I think that he upgraded them with high performance parts.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Like I said I don't know crap about sleds but I know that this guy also has an extremely fast bike. I think that he upgraded them with high performance parts.
I am NOT shopping for such a sled. I would be interested in seeing what he has though. And what was done to do 140 (especialy on a pol), that is pretty fast if it's a genuine speed, ie GPS.
The speedos on sleds are refered to as Dream-o-meters.

stevo137
11-14-2005, 09:02 PM
I'll ask him tomorrow. I know for sure that he said that one of them does 130 easily. I should have waited until I got the hard facts before posting. I could be wrong. I may have confused the sled with his bike because he was telling me about selling all of the toys including the bike.
I didn't realize that those beasts go that damn fast.

Datdude
11-15-2005, 11:20 AM

I bet you could get a Polaris up to 140mph if you dropped it out of a plane. What speed is terminal velocity? :uglyhamme

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2005, 12:00 PM
I bet you could get a Polaris up to 140mph if you dropped it out of a plane. What speed is terminal velocity? :uglyhamme
LOL.........

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2005, 12:02 PM
I'll ask him tomorrow. I know for sure that he said that one of them does 130 easily. I should have waited until I got the hard facts before posting. I could be wrong. I may have confused the sled with his bike because he was telling me about selling all of the toys including the bike.
I didn't realize that those beasts go that damn fast.
Steve, you should take one for a ride, then you will get a chance to appreciate what the fuss is all about. I'd bet you'd be hooked.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2005, 12:07 PM
That will teach me to procrastinate on getting the sleds ready :mad:
DUH!!

I found a kit to help eliminate that issue for you. Did you ever get "that" place to cover them?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Dat,

I was looking through the snowtech last night. (New one) If I were in the market for a 440, it would be a tough call which of the 3 I would take. Although the Pol looks so stupid. I guess I could say no way to that one.
The specs on them are sweet. Perhaps I should consider picking one up next season for the throw around sled like you would do. I don't think they have any around here to view in person. They have got to feel pretty light now this year.

And you keep saying you don't have one right now. I thought you had an 800?

stevo137
11-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Steve, you should take one for a ride, then you will get a chance to appreciate what the fuss is all about. I'd bet you'd be hooked.
I'm sure they are fun but as I have mentioned before, I do not like anything that has to do with snow or cold.
Anyway, I got a bit more info. One sled is a Polaris 700XC and the other is a Yamaha SXR700. Both are 2000, piped and picked, and the Polaris has some kind of special head. He is starting at 7k for both and the double trailer.
He also said that both of them will do 130mph and the Polaris is a bit faster than the Yamaha.
It's the Yamaha bike that will easily hit 140.
(That's crazy man). :eek:
He's selling the bike too.

bigmac
11-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm sure they are fun but as I have mentioned before, I do not like anything that has to do with snow or cold.
Anyway, I got a bit more info. One sled is a Polaris 700XC and the other is a Yamaha SXR700. Both are 2000, piped and picked, and the Polaris has some kind of special head. He is starting at 7k for both and the double trailer.
He also said that both of them will do 130mph and the Polaris is a bit faster than the Yamaha.
It's the Yamaha bike that will easily hit 140.
(That's crazy man). :eek:
He's selling the bike too.

We all suffer from exaggeration when we report our sleds' top speeds. I can pretty much gauranteee that even a piped Yammie SX-R 700 has no hope of hitting 130 mph - I'll bet it will barely crack 100. I had a piped 2000 SX-R 700 and I own two different radar guns.

erkoehler
11-15-2005, 12:59 PM
DUH!!

I found a kit to help eliminate that issue for you. Did you ever get "that" place to cover them?

They are still looking into it.

erkoehler
11-15-2005, 01:01 PM
We all suffer from exaggeration when we report our sleds' top speeds. I can pretty much gauranteee that even a piped Yammie SX-R 700 has no hope of hitting 130 mph - I'll bet it will barely crack 100. I had a piped 2000 SX-R 700 and I own two different radar guns.

I'll second that, no chance in hell.

stevo137
11-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Like I said, I don't know jack about this subject. I'm just telling you guys what he told me and thought that I would mention it to see if anyone is interested.
If anyone is interested, PM me. The guy lives in the west burbs of Chicago.
I definitely don't belong in this thread...

bcampbe7
11-15-2005, 01:52 PM
I definitely don't belong in this thread...

Quick, Stevo, back to the swimsuit thread where it's warmer! :D

Datdude
11-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Dat,

I was looking through the snowtech last night. (New one) If I were in the market for a 440, it would be a tough call which of the 3 I would take. Although the Pol looks so stupid. I guess I could say no way to that one.
The specs on them are sweet. Perhaps I should consider picking one up next season for the throw around sled like you would do. I don't think they have any around here to view in person. They have got to feel pretty light now this year.

And you keep saying you don't have one right now. I thought you had an 800?

I really like the looks of the new Polaris 440(it has grown on me), but at the Sno-X races in Green Bay last year two different Polaris sleds started on fire(not sure why), and the right footwell is occupied by the chaincase which is weird. Since 2003 when the REV was released Ski Doo has dominated most Sno-X races because of the riding position. Polaris's IQ chassis has taken a little bit away from Ski Doo and in my opinion Cat is still a solid 3rd place out of 3 manufacturers. They are trying to make the new Cat SnoPro a rider forward sled, but it does not seem to be quite there yet. This year should be an interesting one in Sno-X. If any of you Illinois guys are looking for a good time, you should check out the season finale (middle of March) for the WSA Sno-X racing at Grand Geneva Resort in Lake Geneva. They race up and down the ski hill and it is awesome. 2 years ago we went and it was 70 degrees and we got sunburned watching snowmobile races :D

I sold my Gade X 800 and delivered it a week ago. I have a new 2004 Rev X 440 but it is sitting at Nielsen's in Lake Villa. I am going to be picking it up on the 25th of November so I do have a sled...but I don't have a sled if that makes sense. The 440's are really a blast to ride. The Rev 440 feels like a dirt bike and is a blast in deep snow because of the 1.75" track and super light weight. My local Doo dealer has 5 2006 Rev 440's for a local racer(he rode for Polaris last year) and I picked the back up and had to make sure the skid was attached to the sled because it was so light. If you have never ridden a newer 440, don't do it unless you plan on buying one. In a race with a 440, my 800 got smoked off the line until about 50-60mph then I caught and passed it, but the holeshot is amazing-wheelie and all. The are a blast on the tight and twisty trails where it is on the gas..off the gas..on again, and not many sleds can hang with you. They also shine in the super rough stuff like the powerlines when it is all packed down and there are 3-4' moguls as far as you can see because of the stiff suspension and frame. There are a few drawbacks like premixing gas and oil(you can add oil injection), jetting changes(Tempaflow takes care of it for you), and pretty crappy mileage (80 miles per tank), but the fun outweighs the negatives in my opinion(and riding style). If we can hook up this Winter you can take it for a rip. It should be snowing here soon!! BRAAAAAP BRAAAAAP-Sorry for the long post :uglyhamme

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2005, 07:16 PM
On the yami doing 130. I will be sure to monitor that closely this season. Myself having a 700 trip with a single pipe, I am tempted to trip. pipe it. HOWEVER, my wife does not need the trips. This is only her second season of riding. So mine may never see anything even close to those speeds. Sorry to say.

My friend that lives on a lake In Wisc has a full setup for 660', 1000', and 1/4 mile for time and speed. We did not take it out once last year. Not easy to set up for a quick one or two races.
This year, we will be at the ice drags in March. I am certain there will be some 150, 160 mph yamis again. However, they will be 4 stroked with turbos, nitrous, and/or superchargers. I would like to see some 2 stroke yami's compete and see what they can pull, but it not likely they are on the priority list with the ease of access to the new stuff.

One of the guys has his 1200cc 2 stoker ready and hopes to put 250hp on the dyno. And yes it will be a trail sled. NOT his drag sled.
He is working on the drag sled with 1400cc 2 stroke and hopes to put 350hp to the track (and maybe wants to turbo it for those that think it can't be done and be in the 400/500hp range) All polaris's.

I ask myself, is there ever too much. I guess that why I have to put a limit on what I do, I will never be able to compete to their level. And If I could, they would always step it up.
To each their own.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Dat,

I am not fond of the rider forward design you rave about. Perhaps I need to ride one to be convinced.
I am sure there will be some where we ride.
None of the guys or girls I ride with have the 440's. Except the 583 converted to 440, but that doesn't fit in this class.
I would like to take one for a blast. They do look like fun.
If I get on one, I'll let you know what I think. It would be nice to ride all three so I could see the differences.

jlf
11-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Just found this thread would love to hook up with you guys for a day or weekend of riding. I live north of Madison. My husband and I are always looking for some new riding friends.

Datdude
11-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Dat,

I am not fond of the rider forward design you rave about. Perhaps I need to ride one to be convinced.
None of the guys or girls I ride with have the 440's. Except the 583 converted to 440, but that doesn't fit in this class.
I would like to take one for a blast. They do look like fun.
If I get on one, I'll let you know what I think. It would be nice to ride all three so I could see the differences.

I was not sure about the rider forward position until I spent a fair amount of time on it and now I can't go back to a traditional sled. I put 1.7 miles on my 2002 MXZ 700 last year and it felt wrong so I sold it. I have a bad back and a 100 mile trip on my MXZ 700 (with good suspension) would kill me. I have done a few 250 mile days on my REV and get off the sled feeling like a champ. I have heard some people complain about knee pain on REVs but I have not experienced it(and my knees are not the best from hockey). I took a dealers REV out in 2003 and it felt weird, but you get used to it. I really like the fact that when you see a huge bump you can easily stand up to have your legs absorb the bump instead of your spine. Before I bought my REV I was riding with a group up in Houghton and the trail was bombed out with 3' bumps as far as you could see. I was following a REV and he was standing up and the sled was pivoting underneath him and was very jealous as I was getting pounded. You are more than welcome to try my sled and I am convinced you will like it. We got hosed on the snow and the heavier stuff missed us to the South and East a little bit. We ended up with about 3" of really wet snow

Workin' 4 Toys
11-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Just found this thread would love to hook up with you guys for a day or weekend of riding. I live north of Madison. My husband and I are always looking for some new riding friends.
Welcome to the board jlf..... And glad you found us....
Just send us an invite to where you are riding, and if I don't already have plans, we could head up.
I would love to head up to Twin Lakes Wisc. when the lakes freeze over. Perhaps that would be a good meeting place for all of us when it ices over and snows.
Just an idea.
Anyone else wanna toss out a good meeting place we could meet at. Don't forget, a few of us are in Chicago, so don't figure a ride to far up for a day of riding.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-16-2005, 12:18 PM
I was not sure about the rider forward position until I spent a fair amount of time on it and now I can't go back to a traditional sled. I put 1.7 miles on my 2002 MXZ 700 last year and it felt wrong so I sold it. I have a bad back and a 100 mile trip on my MXZ 700 (with good suspension) would kill me. I have done a few 250 mile days on my REV and get off the sled feeling like a champ. I have heard some people complain about knee pain on REVs but I have not experienced it(and my knees are not the best from hockey). I took a dealers REV out in 2003 and it felt weird, but you get used to it. I really like the fact that when you see a huge bump you can easily stand up to have your legs absorb the bump instead of your spine. Before I bought my REV I was riding with a group up in Houghton and the trail was bombed out with 3' bumps as far as you could see. I was following a REV and he was standing up and the sled was pivoting underneath him and was very jealous as I was getting pounded. You are more than welcome to try my sled and I am convinced you will like it. We got hosed on the snow and the heavier stuff missed us to the South and East a little bit. We ended up with about 3" of really wet snow
We are suppose to get blasted today and tonight. May end up heading out for a quick blast if it flies as good as they say it will. Its about 25degrees here now. And flurries, looking for some downfall!!

Thrall
11-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Dat,

Last year, we rented REV's in WI for a trip (way too far to haul the machines from Phoenix for XMas holidays). The trails were sh!t the whole time, and those ski doos were unreal in how they handled the bumps. In three days of riding I think the rear end only came up and slapped me in the a$$ 1 or 2 times. I thought the riding position was very natural and actually felt kinda awkward riding some of the other sleds in the group. If I was looking for a trail burner, I'd have to go w/ a Rev chassis. Powder riding I don't see much of an advantage, except for the ride in and ride out although I've never ridden a new Summit. One of my buds out here just bought the RT1000, 151 only. Can't wait to see thaat thing rip!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Last year, we rented REV's in WI for a trip (way too far to haul the machines from Phoenix for XMas holidays). The trails were sh!t the whole time, and those ski doos were unreal in how they handled the bumps. In three days of riding I think the rear end only came up and slapped me in the a$$ 1 or 2 times. I thought the riding position was very natural and actually felt kinda awkward riding some of the other sleds in the group. If I was looking for a trail burner, I'd have to go w/ a Rev chassis. Powder riding I don't see much of an advantage, except for the ride in and ride out although I've never ridden a new Summit. One of my buds out here just bought the RT1000, 151 only. Can't wait to see thaat thing rip!
Where do you intend to ride the RT?

erkoehler
11-17-2005, 07:32 PM
:D Well, I am back. Snow didn't hit us quite as strong as I would have liked, but we did get 4-6" at the property. Enough to take a quick rip on the sled for sure:)

erkoehler
11-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Here is another one that I thought was really cool..... :D

erkoehler
11-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I've got more:

erkoehler
11-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Had to dig out the trailer:

erkoehler
11-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Last one for now:

Workin' 4 Toys
11-17-2005, 09:05 PM
:D Well, I am back. Snow didn't hit us quite as strong as I would have liked, but we did get 4-6" at the property. Enough to take a quick rip on the sled for sure:)
That's no Firecat Erk. What gives?!?!?

erkoehler
11-17-2005, 09:56 PM
That's no Firecat Erk. What gives?!?!?

Slide rails not done yet, and I am sending the shocks out to be rebuilt. That is the backup sled, but I still love to ride it.

Datdude
11-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Slide rails not done yet, and I am sending the shocks out to be rebuilt. That is the backup sled, but I still love to ride it.

Are the holes on your rails rounded out? I have heard of a few F-Cats having that problem :mad:

erkoehler
11-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Are the holes on your rails rounded out? I have heard of a few F-Cats having that problem :mad:

Yes they did round out, and they also cracked where the inner bogie wheels attach.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-18-2005, 02:12 PM
They were warranting them. But Erk is past his day. I found him a place he is working on to cover them for him. When they warrant a wear and tear item like that, they give you X amount of time to get it done, or else. Erk is past the "or else" stage.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Went and took out the new Quad today. What an awesome machine. Got to drive through some frozen ice ponds too.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Well erk, picked up my new Boots, helmet, shirts, hats, shields, plugs, oil, & belts. Some stuff still hasn't come it, Back ordered, been a month already. Oh well, as long as its here by Jan.
Placed another order while I was there, man they have some really cool stuff in the catalog, can't keep my nose out of it.

I have a buddy of mine looking at the '06 T660. What a cool sled for a cruiser. We shall see if I get to tow it home for him.....

erkoehler
11-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Well erk, picked up my new Boots, helmet, shirts, hats, shields, plugs, oil, & belts. Some stuff still hasn't come it, Back ordered, been a month already. Oh well, as long as its here by Jan.
Placed another order while I was there, man they have some really cool stuff in the catalog, can't keep my nose out of it.

I have a buddy of mine looking at the '06 T660. What a cool sled for a cruiser. We shall see if I get to tow it home for him.....

I hate that, some people can't go to the store without spending $100, I can't go to the Arctic Cat dealer without spending $500! :D

Thrall
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Where do you intend to ride the RT?

I can only hope to ride it, but my friend will be runnin' it out here in CO and WY mostly.

Thrall
11-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Slight change of plans for T-day weekend. Wolf Creek is pretty dry. Only 12-18" up top and gone below 10k ft.
We're now heading up to Buena Vista, CO. Gonna ride Cottonwood Pass and Tin Cup pass. WoooHooooo! Can't wait.

Erk,
I found a cure for your rails. Performance stainless offers a kit for $75 to repair the wallered out holes. Their # is 920-739-9899. They had an add in the Oct/Nov SnoTech mag.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Slight change of plans for T-day weekend. Wolf Creek is pretty dry. Only 12-18" up top and gone below 10k ft.
We're now heading up to Buena Vista, CO. Gonna ride Cottonwood Pass and Tin Cup pass. WoooHooooo! Can't wait.

Erk,
I found a cure for your rails. Performance stainless offers a kit for $75 to repair the wallered out holes. Their # is 920-739-9899. They had an add in the Oct/Nov SnoTech mag.
Looks like it would work well. Problem is, the drill jig and hole saw is probably 3/4 the cost. Its just a piece of stainless rod threaded at both ends and a home made aluminum plate with three holes to displace the load. Probably make the "kit" yourself for about $20.00 or $30.00.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-21-2005, 08:20 PM
What are all of you running for oil?

erkoehler
11-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Pennzoil Synthetic oil for me. No problems in any of my sleds, and the valves look great.

erkoehler
11-21-2005, 08:23 PM

Erk,

I already bought the new rails, so they will be put on shortly.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I am running Klotz in the Yami, and I am going to burn off the Cat oil thats in the tank then switch to Amsoil.

Erk, do you have the black/brown smudge marks along the bottom of the belly on yours where the exhaust exits?

erkoehler
11-22-2005, 01:24 AM
WFT,

I do get those marks after some hard riding over a period of time, but I bought the Arctic Cat belly pan cleaner and it takes care of it really easy.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Some of the guys I have talked to, CLAIM the only oil they burn that does not leave those marks is Amsoil. Even klotz does. The guys that aren't running amsoil find themselves trying all types of gimmiks to keep it from happening. One guy even told me this year he is going to put a coat a vaseline on it in order to wipe it off and reapply.
I find that to be funny, but it will probably work. They claim to have tried that cleaner, with no luck. Maybe they did not read the directions.
Oh, well, I hope mine doesn't brown up. We shall see. I guess thats why manuf. use black or dark colored belly pans.

erkoehler
11-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Some of the guys I have talked to, CLAIM the only oil they burn that does not leave those marks is Amsoil. Even klotz does. The guys that aren't running amsoil find themselves trying all types of gimmiks to keep it from happening. One guy even told me this year he is going to put a coat a vaseline on it in order to wipe it off and reapply.
I find that to be funny, but it will probably work. They claim to have tried that cleaner, with no luck. Maybe they did not read the directions.
Oh, well, I hope mine doesn't brown up. We shall see. I guess thats why manuf. use black or dark colored belly pans.

I mainly have the problem on the bright green of the F7, but using that Arctic Cat belly pan cleaner, I just spray it on excessively and I can watch the stain drip right off. Then after that, I use a scrubber for the more stubborn stuff. Takes 5 minutes. Usually do it once a year.

Let me know how much time that guy wastes with his vaseline. Oh, and just wait until you find an animal licking it off in the morning :uglyhamme

erkoehler
11-22-2005, 08:32 PM
WFT,

Indiana is going to get hit pretty hard. You ready to go?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:47 PM
just wait until you find an animal licking it off in the morning :uglyhamme
Yeah, that would give me a good reason to try out the new 9!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:49 PM
WFT,

Indiana is going to get hit pretty hard. You ready to go?

I am as ready as I can be till I get a chance to stick all the studs in. Although I certainly won't need studs in Indiana in November.
I AM READY!!!

erkoehler
11-22-2005, 10:48 PM
I am as ready as I can be till I get a chance to stick all the studs in. Although I certainly won't need studs in Indiana in November.
I AM READY!!!

If it sticks, hopefully that will be the start of the season and some nice groomed trails.

I will check my work schedule, but I think from now till Christmas I am off only during the week, and I have to work every weekend.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 07:26 AM
If it sticks, hopefully that will be the start of the season and some nice groomed trails.

I will check my work schedule, but I think from now till Christmas I am off only during the week, and I have to work every weekend.
That s*cks! Well, I intend to head over to Mich. this weekend if it sticks. Heck I might even go thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday.
Snowing like crazy right now here. BRAAAAPP!

Datdude
11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
We got 2-3" in Minocqua last night. The U.P. has BLIZZARD WARNINGS with all of the lake effect snow they are going to get! We should be riding up there by Dec. 1st if they get everything they are calling for

erkoehler
11-23-2005, 11:10 AM
That s*cks! Well, I intend to head over to Mich. this weekend if it sticks. Heck I might even go thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday.
Snowing like crazy right now here. BRAAAAPP!

Well, Friday I will be done w/ work hopefully by 2pm but that may be too late. Sat/Sun will probably be 3:30 when I finish.

erkoehler
11-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Does anyone have a problem w/ the building and zoning commission since they keep their snowmobiles in the driveway? He was outside my house this morning taking pictures. I thought that the ordinance used to be you could have them while they were in season, so I was like well the ground is completely snow covered there is no way that they could call that out of season. So, I called the village to see whats up, and they changed to ordinance after last year! :eek: Never notified anyone, nothing. That is CRAP!!!! I am going to the next board meeting to let them know it too.

The new policy states that the trailer must be on the side of the house, so I plan to really piss of my neighbors now since they are the ones that called and put the trailer right on top of the grass on the right side of the house. Should get my neighbor really fired up and may be he will call the village and tell them to back off. :D

Next party he has, I will probably have to fire up the snowmobiles right on the side of his house. It is about 10' from his patio. If it happens to be in the summer, then I will have to start up the boat play some music, and maybe start mowing the lawn over there too. He started the battle, but I am going to win the war :mad:

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Does anyone have a problem w/ the building and zoning commission since they keep their snowmobiles in the driveway? He was outside my house this morning taking pictures. I thought that the ordinance used to be you could have them while they were in season, so I was like well the ground is completely snow covered there is no way that they could call that out of season. So, I called the village to see whats up, and they changed to ordinance after last year! :eek: Never notified anyone, nothing. That is CRAP!!!! I am going to the next board meeting to let them know it too.

The new policy states that the trailer must be on the side of the house, so I plan to really piss of my neighbors now since they are the ones that called and put the trailer right on top of the grass on the right side of the house. Should get my neighbor really fired up and may be he will call the village and tell them to back off. :D

Next party he has, I will probably have to fire up the snowmobiles right on the side of his house. It is about 10' from his patio. If it happens to be in the summer, then I will have to start up the boat play some music, and maybe start mowing the lawn over there too. He started the battle, but I am going to win the war :mad:
Funny you would ask that. I am on the planning/zoning/ and development commision in my town. So no we have no such rules, and I doubt one would pass here....;) Not to mention, my neighbors think I am the favorite compared to the ones on the other sides of their houses. Not sure why, must be the invitations I throw around all year be it boat or sleds. Good luck with your issues, sounds like you are in for a wild ride.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 03:03 PM
We got 2-3" in Minocqua last night. The U.P. has BLIZZARD WARNINGS with all of the lake effect snow they are going to get! We should be riding up there by Dec. 1st if they get everything they are calling for

You ridin yet?

erkoehler
11-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Funny you would ask that. I am on the planning/zoning/ and development commision in my town. So no we have no such rules, and I doubt one would pass here....;) Not to mention, my neighbors think I am the favorite compared to the ones on the other sides of their houses. Not sure why, must be the invitations I throw around all year be it boat or sleds. Good luck with your issues, sounds like you are in for a wild ride.

The neighbors I have a problem with are all seniors, and don't like anything except for mowing their lawn :mad:

All that other neighbors, I like and they like me. I even ski with a few of them.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 03:55 PM
The neighbors I have a problem with are all seniors, and don't like anything except for mowing their lawn :mad:

All that other neighbors, I like and they like me. I even ski with a few of them.
Ah, so its an age thing you have working against you.

You want some of us to stop by with the X boats and "BRING THE NOISE" How about a few boats jammin' a few thousand watts of "BOOM" by POD... They might appreciate your subtle parking the trailers out front after that.:firejump: :guitar:

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Of course that last post was sarcastic.

I don't need someone letting me know thats rude. I don't think I would really play the "get even" card...... Unless of course that varmint skunk or possum pokes his head out again... Then the gloves come off!!!

erkoehler
11-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Ah, so its an age thing you have working against you.

You want some of us to stop by with the X boats and "BRING THE NOISE" How about a few boats jammin' a few thousand watts of "BOOM" by POD... They might appreciate your subtle parking the trailers out front after that.:firejump: :guitar:

The ordinance now states that the boat/trailer may be placed on the side of the house. So, the snowmobile trailer is getting moved to the side of the house where it will promptly kill the grass. I will then have to start and maintain my sleds everytime my neighbor has a party as his patio is about 15' away from the spot I will use. Hope he likes 2-stroke smoke!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I thought you stored them up north for the summer?

erkoehler
11-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I do store the sleds up North, but if he keeps calling the village on me, I could arrange to keep them here in IL for a bit longer.

Thrall
11-23-2005, 05:17 PM
What are all of you running for oil?

Injex, for years.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 07:34 PM
I do store the sleds up North, but if he keeps calling the village on me, I could arrange to keep them here in IL for a bit longer.
Ah ha, and they are just now getting on you because you just brought them back. I get it now..... I was trying to figure out why they would just all of a sudden get on you. It's all making sense now.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Michigan,
Just a reminder that it is only legal to ride before sun up and after sun down and between 11am and 2 pm.

erkoehler
11-23-2005, 08:15 PM
WFT,

What is the status on IN??? Can you ride or will the trails remain closed?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-24-2005, 10:37 AM
I think it's deer season there too with the same rules. Dec 1 is a free for all though. I don't think Ind is as overpoplulated with deer as Mich and Wisc. I stay clear away from them during these two weeks. You better force yourself to hold off another week. Sorry to say.

erkoehler
11-24-2005, 11:41 AM
I think it's deer season there too with the same rules. Dec 1 is a free for all though. I don't think Ind is as overpoplulated with deer as Mich and Wisc. I stay clear away from them during these two weeks. You better force yourself to hold off another week. Sorry to say.

Here are the pics from the web cam up by our property in Northern WI.

erkoehler
11-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Another good shot.....

erkoehler
11-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Ok, last one for now..... :D

Workin' 4 Toys
11-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Erk, there is a snowman running across the screen in each pic. And shot two..... Must be snowing like CRAZY, can't see a thing!!;)

erkoehler
11-24-2005, 09:12 PM
It is snowing like crazy up there right now!!!! I WANT TO GO :(

Workin' 4 Toys
11-24-2005, 09:15 PM
It is snowing like crazy up there right now!!!! I WANT TO GO :(
Dec. 1st..... Not to mention, the ice can't be think enough.

erkoehler
11-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Dec. 1st..... Not to mention, the ice can't be think enough.

I could stay off the lakes for a trip or two! Just want to ride.... :D

erkoehler
11-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Now, this is one hell of a winter weather forecast.... :D

http://www.wisconsinnorthwoodsliving.com/weather/wx.htm

erkoehler
11-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Here is another good web cam:

Check out the snow on top of the car.... :D

Workin' 4 Toys
11-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Nice. I am going to stick the studs in next week. I just finally got them. Not that I need them yet. But I better do it before its too late.

Had to go out this morning and turn the heaters back on in the shed and garage. Thats a sign I waited to long to work on them... Yikes, I never do that. They are both ready to fly at a moments notice, one with studs, one without. I should be done by the 1st.

Did you get your trail permits yet? Or I guess maybe they are registered there and you don't worry about them.
I am working on "the" dealer to start selling them for Wisc and Mich. We shall see if he comes through.

erkoehler
11-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Nice. I am going to stick the studs in next week. I just finally got them. Not that I need them yet. But I better do it before its too late.

Had to go out this morning and turn the heaters back on in the shed and garage. Thats a sign I waited to long to work on them... Yikes, I never do that. They are both ready to fly at a moments notice, one with studs, one without. I should be done by the 1st.

Did you get your trail permits yet? Or I guess maybe they are registered there and you don't worry about them.
I am working on "the" dealer to start selling them for Wisc and Mich. We shall see if he comes through.

My sleds are registered in WI. As far as MI permits, we didn't even hit the UP last year, and if we do I usually stop at the gas station right on the border and pick them up. I can make it just that far on a tank of gas anyway so it works out well.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-24-2005, 09:31 PM
I have to get both. Still don't have the IL reg. back yet, they are soooo slow. Maybe Ill get it back by JUNE!!

erkoehler
11-24-2005, 09:55 PM
I have to get both. Still don't have the IL reg. back yet, they are soooo slow. Maybe Ill get it back by JUNE!!

I only have 1 sled registered in IL. Have only ridden here once in 5 years.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Stickers for this year....... I should be in for about $120.00 for three states two sleds. Just like last year.
I guess the US $12 billion snowmobile industry isn't free for a reason.
Keep the trails groomed, I am coming!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-24-2005, 10:06 PM
We are looking for a new place to go Mid Feb. that will take a reservation. Got any good places to rent up there? PM me if you have a place you know of close to where yours, and I'll see what I can arrange. Needs to sleep at least 8. (sometimes we have ALOT more, sometimes less) but for now I need to get something started. We had a place booked, but we canceled because we want something new.

erkoehler
11-25-2005, 12:19 AM
We are looking for a new place to go Mid Feb. that will take a reservation. Got any good places to rent up there? PM me if you have a place you know of close to where yours, and I'll see what I can arrange. Needs to sleep at least 8. (sometimes we have ALOT more, sometimes less) but for now I need to get something started. We had a place booked, but we canceled because we want something new.

Check out Elbert's resort in St. Germain. PM me if you need the info for it.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Check out Elbert's resort in St. Germain. PM me if you need the info for it.
how far of a ride is it?

erkoehler
11-25-2005, 03:49 PM
how far of a ride is it?

From IL? Or to a location?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-25-2005, 03:51 PM
From your house In (Bloom.) to there (St. Ger)......:o

erkoehler
11-25-2005, 03:52 PM
From your house In (Bloom.) to there (St. Ger)......:o

With a trailer, a single gas stop, and drive through food stop I can make it there in approx. 6 hours. 6.5 if you do the speed limit the majority of the way.

No trailer, and the same stops I can make it in approx. 5.5 hours.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-25-2005, 11:54 PM
A couple of the guys are stopping over in the morning. I'll run St. Ger. past them.

erkoehler
11-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Sounds good, I can find some other places that are cool. Are you looking for a place to crash, or a nice place to stay w/ the family?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Sounds good, I can find some other places that are cool. Are you looking for a place to crash, or a nice place to stay w/ the family?
Leaning towards ironwood, keweenaw, or gogebic. Some are checking on vaca days and some open lodging. We are trying to figure out if that is a trip we will bring kids with or not. Alot of figuring to do on our end. I am ready to pick, its everyone else that has issues.
I prefer cabins and/or lodges, others prefer the hotels for pools and such.

erkoehler
11-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Leaning towards ironwood, keweenaw, or gogebic. Some are checking on vaca days and some open lodging. We are trying to figure out if that is a trip we will bring kids with or not. Alot of figuring to do on our end. I am ready to pick, its everyone else that has issues.
I prefer cabins and/or lodges, others prefer the hotels for pools and such.

For family, you can't beat the Eagle River Inn. Right on the trail, they have there own bar/restaurant right on the property, nice rooms, decent rates, clean, and nice people. They also have a decent sized pool/hot tub.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Just getting started!

erkoehler
11-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Dude, have fun....that job sucks :eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
11-27-2005, 09:08 PM
I am about 80%. Started yesterday.....:eek:
What do you think of my pattern I came up with. No template for what I have going on.

erkoehler
11-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Just getting started!

Pattern looks like somewhat of a modified "V"???? Is it going to be 196 total? I like the double backers on the centers.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Pattern looks like somewhat of a modified "V"???? Is it going to be 196 total? I like the double backers on the centers.
Yes, a V. 192 actually. Should hook up like M' F'R.....
I can't wait to try it out.

erkoehler
11-28-2005, 03:19 PM
What made you go with the alluminum backers rather than the plastic? No colors???

I got the ordinance from my village, and now I have to put the sleds on the side of the house. Luckily, it doesn't have to be paved......the neighbors are going to love me now.

Thrall
11-28-2005, 07:28 PM
First trip of the year this past weekend! Ahhh the smell of 2 stroke in the morning. Only casualty 1 bent trailing arm (it didn't match the other side anyway). Riding was great. Got over 100mi in even w/ the 2yr old strapped to my wife (most of the time. I took him for a while too). He loves it!
Words of wisdom. Make sure to pick up the ice scratchers before hitting a bare stretch of road. Promptly covered my entire rear skid w/ dirt and sand.
Snow level was at about 10kft. Saw one good FIB move (Actually they weren't FIB's, just tourists on rental sleds. Don't anyone get too bent up, I'm from Chicago).
We stopped at the top of the road over Hancock Pass. Snow looked too deep for the wife to get thru sitting down w/ our son on the sled. 3 rentals followed us up there. I went up the road (cut into the side of the mtn) and hit a long area drifted over. Pulled the sled up on one side and hit it. Snow was too hard to sidehill and I barely made it thru without going down the low side. Rental guy decides to follow, after I waved him off. Gets about halfway across the drift and has to turn downhill. The run downhill wasn't too steep, but plenty of rocks. He managed to miss all the rocks and then barrel rolled the sled. Minor damage, although he couldn't drive it out of the ravine.
Looks like good snow up north. Trails will be open this weekend up there.

erkoehler
11-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Had a big melt down today in N. WI and the UP....this weekend is in jeopardy!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-28-2005, 10:51 PM
What made you go with the alluminum backers rather than the plastic? No colors???

I got the ordinance from my village, and now I have to put the sleds on the side of the house. Luckily, it doesn't have to be paved......the neighbors are going to love me now.
I wanted anodized green aluminum, but with time running short, I decided to get what I knew worked well. I no longer like the powdercoated ones, they flake and then look terrible.
No plastic, I decided I'd rather durable than light. I'll make up for the weight difference when I loose the CAN. Not to mention, I am not fond of the head of the stud sticking out so far because they can not be tightened or that will crack easily.
My other sled pictured has blue powdercoated and stainless steel studs. Looks perrrty. But the blue is chipping off already and doesn't look as good as it should. I should have gone anodized or just standard aluminum. Maybe next year I'll polish them. RIGHT!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-28-2005, 10:53 PM
First trip of the year this past weekend! Ahhh the smell of 2 stroke in the morning. Only casualty 1 bent trailing arm (it didn't match the other side anyway). Riding was great. Got over 100mi in even w/ the 2yr old strapped to my wife (most of the time. I took him for a while too). He loves it!
Words of wisdom. Make sure to pick up the ice scratchers before hitting a bare stretch of road. Promptly covered my entire rear skid w/ dirt and sand.
Snow level was at about 10kft. Saw one good FIB move (Actually they weren't FIB's, just tourists on rental sleds. Don't anyone get too bent up, I'm from Chicago).
We stopped at the top of the road over Hancock Pass. Snow looked too deep for the wife to get thru sitting down w/ our son on the sled. 3 rentals followed us up there. I went up the road (cut into the side of the mtn) and hit a long area drifted over. Pulled the sled up on one side and hit it. Snow was too hard to sidehill and I barely made it thru without going down the low side. Rental guy decides to follow, after I waved him off. Gets about halfway across the drift and has to turn downhill. The run downhill wasn't too steep, but plenty of rocks. He managed to miss all the rocks and then barrel rolled the sled. Minor damage, although he couldn't drive it out of the ravine.
Looks like good snow up north. Trails will be open this weekend up there.
Nice to see sledders other than myself and ERK chiming in here. Glad you were able to get out for a blast. and you can see, Im still in the garage with mine....

Workin' 4 Toys
11-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Sorry for the confusion. That pic posted moments ago with the blue, is the Viper when I did it last season.

erkoehler
11-29-2005, 01:02 AM
WFT, I have the yellow plastic backers on the F7 and they have worked well and look sweet as well. Haven't pulled any through, or bent any yet...knock on wood.....pray for snow!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Looks like you got a little dusting of snow last night up in Bloom. last night. Again, not a single flake down by us.

WHERE IS THE LAKE EFFECT they can never predict!! I am waiting. Oh wait, I better finish the studs first!!!

Datdude
11-29-2005, 04:43 PM
All of our snow melted Sunday and Monday with the heavy rain we got. I woke up this morning to white ground (1") but not enough to ride. It sounds like the U.P. got hammered with rain too so our ride for this weekend might not happen now :mad:

erkoehler
11-29-2005, 05:41 PM
WFT,

If this happens you better be ready to ride somewhere:

"There are also some signs of a third low for early next week. The models are not in the best of agreements on things with this system, but right now it looks like it may develop further south and be a stronger storm for the Midwest, perhaps giving places like Chicago, Milwaukee and much of lower MI some big time snows, with LES continuing to hammer the UP and NWL snow belts."

That was take off of www.johndee.com

Workin' 4 Toys
11-29-2005, 11:16 PM
WFT,

If this happens you better be ready to ride somewhere:

"There are also some signs of a third low for early next week. The models are not in the best of agreements on things with this system, but right now it looks like it may develop further south and be a stronger storm for the Midwest, perhaps giving places like Chicago, Milwaukee and much of lower MI some big time snows, with LES continuing to hammer the UP and NWL snow belts."

That was take off of www.johndee.com (http://www.johndee.com)
Well, I am about half way, not sure if it will be quicker to pull out the installed ones, or finish the job. Either way, I'm in...... I have the back up sled, I'll just have to tell my wife I am taking hers out to burn off the old fuel.:D

Workin' 4 Toys
11-29-2005, 11:17 PM
All of our snow melted Sunday and Monday with the heavy rain we got. I woke up this morning to white ground (1") but not enough to ride. It sounds like the U.P. got hammered with rain too so our ride for this weekend might not happen now :mad:
How far are you from Colfax?

erkoehler
11-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Started working on the slide rails tonight. They came off pretty easy, but I think I have the wrong part number for the new rails, or there is a machining problem. The track adjustment mechanism doesn't fit into the rear of the slide rails.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Started working on the slide rails tonight. They came off pretty easy, but I think I have the wrong part number for the new rails, or there is a machining problem. The track adjustment mechanism doesn't fit into the rear of the slide rails.
PICS!!!!.............:confused:

erkoehler
11-30-2005, 11:37 AM
PICS!!!!.............:confused:

I will take some pics tonight when we finish it. I didn't bring the camera with me last night, but will try to remember tonight.

bigmac
11-30-2005, 12:45 PM
I coaxed the Vector back to life from its summer vacation this morning and ran it around the yard a little. Seems to running quite well. I'll need to get it into the dealer for a factory upgrade on the CDI box - recalled because of problems with the throttle override system which as of 2005 is wired directly into the CDI. Yamaha's TORS system has always been kind of a PITA, but last year I had to bypass it for the first time in years of Yamaha sleds because it was occasionally inappropriately activating on letting off on the throttle from speed. That was irritating.

I note that my son, who's back from school until end of February, has replaced my Harley with his Viper on the air lift table in the workshop and there's now a neatly arranged series of small engine parts on the bench. He has to get it back to Minnesota altitude and I hear a rumor from my wife that there's a rather extensive list of little parts on order. I guess it's that time of year.

erkoehler
11-30-2005, 02:10 PM
I have been to the Arctic cat dealer 3 out of the last 5 days getting parts to upgrade the sled. If it isn't the MC it is the sled.....

Datdude
11-30-2005, 03:49 PM
How far are you from Colfax?

I have no idea where Colfax is...I suppose I could look it up?

According to MSN maps I am 177 miles from Colfax (I am Northeast of Colfax)

What is in Colfax?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-30-2005, 08:36 PM
I have no idea where Colfax is...I suppose I could look it up?

According to MSN maps I am 177 miles from Colfax (I am Northeast of Colfax)

What is in Colfax?
One of my relatives has a place there. I have yet to visit, I don't think they get much snow, but the lake ices up pretty thick.
Just curious.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
I have been to the Arctic cat dealer 3 out of the last 5 days getting parts to upgrade the sled. If it isn't the MC it is the sled.....
Erk, Do I need to remind you. If you get the right parts the first time, there is no need to go back.:uglyhamme Same rule would apply to the boat...

And you should have went through "my A/C" guy. I assume you forgot about him.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-30-2005, 08:43 PM
I coaxed the Vector back to life from its summer vacation this morning and ran it around the yard a little. Seems to running quite well. I'll need to get it into the dealer for a factory upgrade on the CDI box - recalled because of problems with the throttle override system which as of 2005 is wired directly into the CDI. Yamaha's TORS system has always been kind of a PITA, but last year I had to bypass it for the first time in years of Yamaha sleds because it was occasionally inappropriately activating on letting off on the throttle from speed. That was irritating.

I note that my son, who's back from school until end of February, has replaced my Harley with his Viper on the air lift table in the workshop and there's now a neatly arranged series of small engine parts on the bench. He has to get it back to Minnesota altitude and I hear a rumor from my wife that there's a rather extensive list of little parts on order. I guess it's that time of year.
That F'N TORS. Stupid safety.
The equivalent to tying a rope around your ankle in a car, and incase your foot got stuck in WOT, you could pull the rope and lift your foot. But have the rope attached to a computer chip and IN CASE the computer thought you were in WOT accidentally make it backfire and fall on its face...
Same issue they had in 1995, 10 years later, same problems.

erkoehler
12-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Erk, Do I need to remind you. If you get the right parts the first time, there is no need to go back.:uglyhamme Same rule would apply to the boat...

And you should have went through "my A/C" guy. I assume you forgot about him.

I didn't forget about him, but I get a pretty good deal from Mike at my dealership. I bought my sled through him, had my sled rebuilt after the accident through him, and have dealt with him for the past 3 years. He is a nice guy, I get good service, parts, and he is willing to show me how to do alot of the work myself. He really helps me if I am in a jam, and I can call him short notice to get my sled fixed quick before a trip if needed.

stevo137
12-01-2005, 09:42 AM
OK Erk and Toys, it snowed. I think that we got close to 2" here. Is that enough to get your sleds out?
We get some lake effect snow here but just west of me, they get quite a bit more.
Towards Valpo or Michigan City area.
I'm sure there are some places around those areas to take your sleds and it's not very far from you.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2005, 10:02 AM
I didn't forget about him, but I get a pretty good deal from Mike at my dealership. I bought my sled through him, had my sled rebuilt after the accident through him, and have dealt with him for the past 3 years. He is a nice guy, I get good service, parts, and he is willing to show me how to do alot of the work myself. He really helps me if I am in a jam, and I can call him short notice to get my sled fixed quick before a trip if needed.
3 trips in 5 days doesn't sound like he helps you that much.......;)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2005, 10:07 AM
OK, Erk and Toys, it snowed. I think that we got close to 2" here. Is that enough to get your sleds out?
That would be more than enough for the first ride of the season. After that, nope.

erkoehler
12-01-2005, 10:59 AM
3 trips in 5 days doesn't sound like he helps you that much.......;)

As we tore into the suspension, I found alot of bearings, wheels, and other misc. parts that needed to be replaced. So, visiting so often was do to finding more to replace each day ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2005, 10:52 PM
It's a good thing you didn't wait to it to SNOW OUTSIDE to work on it.... You could have been in deep trouble if it were backordered.

You back on the road with it yet.

Me, I have only 60 studs left to stick. I may go out tomorrow and wrap it up.

erkoehler
12-01-2005, 11:04 PM
It's a good thing you didn't wait to it to SNOW OUTSIDE to work on it.... You could have been in deep trouble if it were backordered.

You back on the road with it yet.

Me, I have only 60 studs left to stick. I may go out tomorrow and wrap it up.

The slide rails and rear suspension is complete!!!! :woohoo:

I have some orange accessories that I am going to install on Tuesday most likely, and then might try to take a mid week trip a week from Tuesday.

Pray for snow...... :headbang:

erkoehler
12-01-2005, 11:12 PM
WFT,

Any chance you can do a mid-week trip? Leave late the 13th and come home early the 16th?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2005, 11:24 PM
WFT,

Any chance you can do a mid-week trip? Leave late the 13th and come home early the 16th?
You know how I talk the smack with you about working all the time. I have to work my first weekend in months those dates.
You heading up to your place?

erkoehler
12-01-2005, 11:30 PM
You know how I talk the smack with you about working all the time. I have to work my first weekend in months those dates.
You heading up to your place?

DUDE, that isn't even a weekend......

erkoehler
12-01-2005, 11:32 PM
If I go, I will likely just stay at our place.... :D

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2005, 11:32 PM
DUDE, that isn't even a weekend......7 days that week I am putting in is what I meant. Big project. Sorry for not clarifying.

erkoehler
12-01-2005, 11:34 PM
7 days that week I am putting in is what I meant. Big project. Sorry for not clarifying.

Yeah, but you might be sick on Wed/Thurs and late on friday :toast:

Well, if things change, let me know....I want to try to get some riding in before Christmas.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Yeah, but you might be sick on Wed/Thurs and late on friday :toast:

Well, if things change, let me know....I want to try to get some riding in before Christmas.

Oh, I will let you know if things change. After that weekend is over, it is fair game.

I may head over and see what happened to Mich. Maybe even as early as this weekend. I'll have to check around and see how far up I have to go around the bend to see some decent accumulation. I'm going to start looking.

What happened to us getting more last night.....?? I was going to fire it up before work this morning. My neighbors live this time of year. 3AM blast across the yard. Good thing I haven't put those triple pipes or cans on it yet. It might be too loud.

Datdude
12-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Just an FYI-The Western U.P. is getting POUNDED right now. We are heading up Sunday morning to the Mass City area and see what we can find. There is currently 2' of snow in Twin Lakes and it is still coming down......Looks like Winter has Arrived....BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP :dance:

erkoehler
12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
I was just checking out some of the web cams up there, and it looks awesome....did Minocqua/eagle river/ st. germain get anything lately?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-02-2005, 03:17 PM
From the weather channel, it looks like south western Mich is getting hit good too. I may have to check that out this weekend. I am going to make some calls in a little while.

erkoehler
12-02-2005, 03:36 PM
From the weather channel, it looks like south western Mich is getting hit good too. I may have to check that out this weekend. I am going to make some calls in a little while.

DUDE, keep me informed....all of the sudden I don't feel so well:)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-03-2005, 02:46 AM
It's not looking ideal. Where I was thinking af heading, they are working on the trail and don't expect it open until the 4th IF finished.

I did finish my studs 10 minutes ago. What a pain doing it on the sled.

So in other words, I am ready to go at a minutes notice....... I'm all good If Steve stops doing the anti-snow dance...;) in the christmas gift thread...

erkoehler
12-03-2005, 04:43 AM
It's not looking ideal. Where I was thinking af heading, they are working on the trail and don't expect it open until the 4th IF finished.

I did finish my studs 10 minutes ago. What a pain doing it on the sled.

So in other words, I am ready to go at a minutes notice....... I'm all good If Steve stops doing the anti-snow dance...;) in the christmas gift thread...

I got the F7 ready to hit the trails and the ZL just needs to be regreased.

Whenever the snow comes......

Datdude
12-03-2005, 10:28 AM
did Minocqua/eagle river/ st. germain get anything lately?

We have maybe 2" that we got monday/tuesday of this week. Our forecast on John Dee looks bad to say the least with only a chance for a dusting in the next 10 days. Luckily I am only 20-30 minutes from lake effect snow so trailering is not so bad up to Manitowish Waters or Mercer. We are planning on heading up to Twin Lakes or South Range tomorrow(Sunday) to find some off trail areas :)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I got the F7 ready to hit the trails and the ZL just needs to be regreased.

Whenever the snow comes......

I am going out with some friends tonight. One guy frequents Coloma Mich often, and is actually driving in from there today. I am going to ask him what the real world riding conditions look like, and get his number for a quick call when its enough.

erkoehler
12-03-2005, 02:25 PM
We have maybe 2" that we got monday/tuesday of this week. Our forecast on John Dee looks bad to say the least with only a chance for a dusting in the next 10 days. Luckily I am only 20-30 minutes from lake effect snow so trailering is not so bad up to Manitowish Waters or Mercer. We are planning on heading up to Twin Lakes or South Range tomorrow(Sunday) to find some off trail areas :)

I am hoping that they start to get some snow, it just isn't much fun to drive 6 hours to the house, only to have to continue to drive to find snow :(

Workin' 4 Toys
12-04-2005, 02:38 AM
It's looking like I'll have to be patient. I did get a chance today to run it around the yard. It was its first time being riden, let alone seeing snow. What a awesome piece of machinery. It screams GO. I can't wait to see some deep stuff.

erkoehler
12-04-2005, 04:14 AM
It's looking like I'll have to be patient. I did get a chance today to run it around the yard. It was its first time being riden, let alone seeing snow. What a awesome piece of machinery. It screams GO. I can't wait to see some deep stuff.

We got skunked...they were saying 4 inches, but we got like 1 if that! :mad:

Buddy of mine in Rockford said they got 4-5 inches though. I am going to call my friend in Whitewater, WI. I have a feeling he is going to be taking a ride or two tomorrow.

bigmac
12-04-2005, 05:42 PM
You guys are ahead of me in sled-readiness, but I guess it's OK since we don't have enough snow either.

My Vector is in the shop getting a new CDI (stupid TORS).

My son's modded '02 Viper has about 3500 miles on it. He doesn't want a new one - I can't even talk him into looking at an Apex. Right now, we're waiting for parts...some little carb doodads (pulled the ATACC off of it - don't get one). Gotta pull the pipes (major pain) to adjust the exhaust power valves and re-align the clutches ($120 Sled Pro clutch alignment tool on the way), plus install a torque limiter (shoulda done that long ago) and rejet/reclutch for this altitude.

http://mccollister.info/viperwork.jpg

JDK
12-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey B.M. what town are you in??? I was talking to a relative in Ada last night and they're riding there, and according to him, the snow gets deeper the further south you go (pretty good around Fargo).
Can a TORS malfunction take out a cdi box? (hope you're still under warranty for that one!)

bigmac
12-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Hey B.M. what town are you in??? I was talking to a relative in Ada last night and they're riding there, and according to him, the snow gets deeper the further south you go (pretty good around Fargo).
Can a TORS malfunction take out a cdi box? (hope you're still under warranty for that one!)I'm in the Brainerd area. There's some snow, but not enough on the trails and the ice is only about 3 inches thick.

For 2005 Yamaha routed the TORS system through the CDI box so instead of shutting the engine down when TORS activates as in previous years, it cuts the RPMs down to below clutch engagement. There were some glitches in that many, many RS owners had inconvenient activation of the TORS inappropriately. Yamaha tried various service bulletins, blaming it on not enough throttle free-play etc, but none of it worked so they just issued a recall to replace the CDI boxes on all of the 2005 sleds.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-04-2005, 06:56 PM
My son's modded '02 Viper has about 3500 miles on it. He doesn't want a new one - I can't even talk him into looking at an Apex. Right now, we're waiting for parts...some little carb doodads (pulled the ATACC off of it - don't get one). Gotta pull the pipes (major pain) to adjust the exhaust power valves and re-align the clutches ($120 Sled Pro clutch alignment tool on the way), plus install a torque limiter (shoulda done that long ago) and rejet/reclutch for this altitude.

I don't blame him one bit. He has the best yamaha engine ever produced IMO. Not saying the new 4chokers are bad by any means. The suspensions can leave something to be desired, but there is always an M10 to straighten that out. And some Fox for the front. I do not intend to let go of it. I think the ONLY sled it would get traded for at this point would be a new AC 440SP. (I am always allowed to change my opinion because it matters to noone)

As far as being ready, I am ready with both sleds. Trailers is ready, truck is full of fuel, hitch is in. And no where to go!!!

What torque limiter is he going with?

bigmac
12-04-2005, 07:52 PM
What torque limiter is he going with?

Rumor has it that the Yamaha device is the only way to go.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/accessories/250/smaenginstay-250.jpg

I've actually had a pair of these things sitting around for a couple of seasons but they don't come with instructions and I couldn't figure out where to put them. Looks like it's going to be mandatory with the triple pipes so I put the question to the Viper boys over on Totally Yamaha forums. As I expected, I got all the help I need. Wow, we think THIS is a busy forum...

http://mccollister.info/torque.jpg

I'll be interested to see if one of those front motor mounts is broken. If so, he's just going to replace with the SRX three-bolt mounts.

erkoehler
12-04-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm ready too!!!! One sled on the trailer, truck is almost full of gas, hitch is in, sleds are gassed up, registration is current, heat in the house can be turned on in less than 6 hours......where the hell is all the snow. I am chomping at the bit here folks :D

Workin' 4 Toys
12-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Mac,
Please tell me that is NOT a picture of the compartment of that 3500 mile sled......

Did you have those trips ceramic coated?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-04-2005, 11:04 PM
http://mccollister.info/viperwork.jpg
Hey mac, I forgot to mention how impressed I am with the snowmobile workshop you have. I hope your kid appreciates it......

bigmac
12-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Hey mac, I forgot to mention how impressed I am with the snowmobile workshop you have. I hope your kid appreciates it......

Thanks..we have a lot of rolling stock around here and a nice, warm place to work on the stuff is mandatory. I've had that air lift table for a little over 10 years and it gets a LOT of use.

http://mccollister.info/harleywork.jpg

Yeh, that's my kid's Viper. It's had a lot of use - including two seasons of hard riding out in the mountains, but he keeps it in pretty good shape. I wish we'd had the pipes ceramic coated. Already been patched once and I see one of the pipe needs a little more work. I'm not bad with the TIG welder (more of a wire-feed kind of guy) but Jess (son) is amazing with that machine. It's just as well they have to come out. While they're out, I'm going to call around about ceramic. The underside of the hood has insulating tape all over the place.

http://mccollister.info/viperwork3.jpg

bigmac
12-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Mac,
Please tell me that is NOT a picture of the compartment of that 3500 mile sled......

Heh..no, it's the image a guy posted for me at totallyamaha.com that caused the torque limiter installation to click into place for me.