El Jeffe
11-02-2005, 05:05 PM
I just moved to Seattle, WA...

I store my ProStar 205 in my garage...

It has about 200 +/- hours on it...

Questions:

1. Should I winterize?
2. What level of winterize should I do?
3. Has anyone used an engine compartment heater instead of winterizing?
4. Should I do the 200 hour service before I winterize or wait until I get it commissioned in teh spring?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom o great ones...

east tx skier
11-02-2005, 05:11 PM
1. Yes.
2. At least stabilize, fog, drain, shake hoses, and spin the pump.
3. Not I.
4. I'd do the Oil and transmission fluid in the fall. Plugs and impeller replacement in the spring. There's more, but these come to mind.

For specifics, please check out the "FAQ" linked in my signature.

Good luck.

Kevin 89MC
11-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the board. I agree with Eastie, who is the undisputed King of Posting (All hail the King!), except I pull the impeller each fall, so I can get a few years out of it. If you replace it each spring, then leave it in. Either way, when you do replace it, grab a paint can opener, stick it in the vanes of the impeller, hook it behind the impeller and pull it out. That has transformed from the hardest thing about winterizing, to one of the easiest, at least for me.
Even if you have a heated garage, or a heater plugged in, and it freezes where you are, you're risking a cracked block. The power will go out when you're gone at some point. :eek:
Good luck,
Kevin

east tx skier
11-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Good point. I leave mine in so I can run it on the hose once per month and replace in the Spring. But if you're going to get more than a season out of the impeller, by all means, don't leave it in during layup.

El Jeffe
11-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks..Good Feedback.

Going to go with what you are saying...

Going to have SkiMasters in WA do a full winterize and a 200 hour (100) service i\on it before the cold weather sets in here in Seattle.

They have quoted me $450 for this...Good price?

sand2snow22
11-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Not sure what they are doing, but just had mine done in Portland. Winterized, oil, tranny fluid, fog, etc. and it came to $214. $450 seems a little high unless they're doing more....

El Jeffe
11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
They are also doing the 100 hour service as well.

east tx skier
11-03-2005, 11:43 AM
You can do it all yourself for under $100. Please remind me what all is included in 100 hr service besides transmission fluid R&R? When I was having my local shop winterize, I would get it done with fluid checks and filter changes for the $200 range.

I'm not mechanically-minded. But most of these procedures are not very difficult and are a good way for you to learn your way around the engine.

6ballsisall
11-03-2005, 11:44 AM
But most of these procedures are not very difficult and are a good way for you to learn your way around the engine.

Tru dat, tru dat