PDA

View Full Version : My 93 S&S 190 trailer Restoration

Towboatcapt
02-19-2014, 10:44 AM
I have Gotten A lot of packages in so I thought I would Start My trailer Restoration thread with Un-boxing the things have I gotten so far.

The Ignition isn't trailer related but I still got real excited to open it. got it from here.
http://www.waterskis.com/502209-p/ma...126_a_7c502209

I got all new LED lights -
4 Red Stop/turn/running.
2- white clear LED back up Lights
2- Small Amber LED
2- Small Red LED
1- 15" LED light bar Red from stop/turn And White for back up lights.
Total Price $130

New 25ft Wishbone flat 5 Wiring harness. $25

Ramp-N-Clamp To replace the boat buddy.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58676&highlight=ramp-n-clamp

Swing-Away trailer kit from California trailer works
https://caltrailerworks.com/online/product.php?productid=16156&cat=156&page=1

And the HD guide pole covers with some cozies from Waterskis.com
http://www.waterskis.com/Heavy-Duty-Trailer-Guide-Pole-Covers-p/heavy_duty_trailer_pole_covers.htm

Just a start but I will update when progress is made. :)

thatsmrmastercraft
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
That is a pile of great stuff. Should keep you busy for a while.

Towboatcapt
02-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Yesterday I got the guild poles off and the fenders removed. It's a lot easier to just take the tire off before you try to remove the fender.

Going to try to clean up the fenders today and see what I have to work with.. Someone suggested soft scrub to get the black marks off from when the trailer tire shredded going down the hwy?

Any other products you suggest?

Rockman
02-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Where did you get the lights from? I need to upgrade mine this spring...

Towboatcapt
02-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Where did you get the lights from? I need to upgrade mine this spring...

I got them off Ebay, This guy will set up a kit for your trailer, only paid $2 for shipping on everything. I just told him everything I wanted, he put it all together with a lil discount. Got the lights in 3 days. I haven't gotten them hooked up but when I do I'll post some pics!

http://stores.ebay.com/HITCH2TRAILER?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

gtbutler
02-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Soft scrub should work, but you might also try "Bar Keepers Friend." It's a powder and very Comet/Ajax-esk (nice word, huh) and will be near them in the store (usually a Gold can with a Blue white lettered logo). Unlike Comet/Ajax it is virtually non-abrasive. I always have a can in my car-wash bucket of stuff. I use it on car windshields to metal bumpers on Classic vehicles. It's original use was as a metal polish to remove rust.

Works great for me.

DooSPX
02-21-2014, 03:04 PM
+1 on Bar Keepers Friend!

JayBrown
02-21-2014, 06:19 PM
After see those pole covers I just ordered some too!!!!

alfie623
02-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm going to work on my trailer this summer once I get my boat on the lift.

mdl225
02-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Interested to see the swing away conversion. I would love to add this to mine, could use the extra clearance in the garage.

atihanyi
02-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Interested to see the swing away conversion. I would love to add this to mine, could use the extra clearance in the garage.

+1 on this . Please post some pics of the conversion I need to do this as well

Towboatcapt
02-23-2014, 10:29 AM

I got to be honest I messed up on this, I measured fore and aft for fit but didn't think about how wide the trailer is. The Admiral's car (wife's) MUST be garaged. Even with the boat tucked tight against the wall both on the stern and side, she can't open her doors. I suggested she crawls through the window... needless to say the boat will remain bundled up under the lean-too and I wont be doing the swing away.

Towboatcapt
02-24-2014, 06:26 PM
It was 65 and sunny in Denver today!
Replaced the ignition, with the replacemnt from waterskis.com

Towboatcapt
02-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Finished

thatsmrmastercraft
02-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Finished
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=106604&stc=1&d=1393284387

Nice work. :toast:

TayMC197
02-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Paint your fenders, save yourself a large headache. Look at my albums of my 92 trailer restore. Or hydrodip like I did my 197 trailer fenders.

Towboatcapt
02-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Paint your fenders, save yourself a large headache. Look at my albums of my 92 trailer restore. Or hydrodip like I did my 197 trailer fenders.

I was thinking about just painting them. Yours look great! I wouldn't even need to two-tone them, do you have to use any special paint to spray fiberglass?

mikeg205
02-24-2014, 09:01 PM
I was thinking about just painting them. Yours look great! I wouldn't even need to two-tone them, do you have to use any special paint to spray fiberglass?

you would be painting gel coat. the prep is the key - I would consider having them wrapped... :D

atihanyi
02-24-2014, 09:12 PM
I got to be honest I messed up on this, I measured fore and aft for fit but didn't think about how wide the trailer is. The Admiral's car (wife's) MUST be garaged. Even with the boat tucked tight against the wall both on the stern and side, she can't open her doors. I suggested she crawls through the window... needless to say the boat will remain bundled up under the lean-too and I wont be doing the swing away.

doesn't she have a sunroof to crawl thru ?:confused:

mikeg205
02-24-2014, 10:20 PM

that made lol... really.. :D

Towboatcapt
02-25-2014, 12:43 AM

Hahaha :)

Towboatcapt
02-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Got the boat off the trailer... Time to grind

mikeg205
02-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Got the boat off the trailer... Time to grind

good time to ratchet up the MCOCD and wax those hard to reach areas. :D

Towboatcapt
02-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Before... And it decided to drop 20 degrees and start snowing... Oh Denver.

Rockman
02-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Before... And it decided to drop 20 degrees and start snowing... Oh Denver.

Every trailer I have seen from Colorado is beat to hell like that...including the trailer for our 190 that we bought 18 months ago! :eek3:

What kind of roads do you guys have out there!?:confused:

Keep us updated with pics!

Towboatcapt
02-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Every trailer I have seen from Colorado is beat to hell like that...including the trailer for our 190 that we bought 18 months ago! :eek3:

What kind of roads do you guys have out there!?:confused:

Keep us updated with pics!

The roads are not bad until you get near the lakes.. Then mixed asphalt with loose gravel on top, going slow helps a little

Towboatcapt
02-25-2014, 08:48 PM
It took me over an hour to get the old bunks off, almost all the bolts were free spinning in the wood.... PITA!! Then I got 6 hours of grinding in today, got it all down to bare metal. Put it away for the night, going to get her primed in the morning and painted in the afternoon.

A quick pic before the MC decal was wire wheeled off.

Rockymtn
02-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Hey Tow boat Capt, looking great! I wanted to let you know I just sent this thread to the PO before me. We are all looking forward to you bringing this boat back to its prime. I wish I had your garage space.

Rockymtn

Towboatcapt
02-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Hey Tow boat Capt, looking great! I wanted to let you know I just sent this thread to the PO before me. We are all looking forward to you bringing this boat back to its prime. I wish I had your garage space.

Rockymtn

Hey!! Thanks Rich we'll have to meet up at carter or sterling this summer you can check it out in person!! Take a pull behind your old boat maybe;)

Rockman
02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
The roads are not bad until you get near the lakes.. Then mixed asphalt with loose gravel on top, going slow helps a little

I have seen a number all pitted in the same areas...all were really bad, including ours. Hopefully will get to ours this summer...leave it on our lift for a few weeks up north and bring the trailer home for full restore.

Alot of hours to do what you are doing but it will look great when you put the boat back on it!

Towboatcapt
02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Primed!
Up next a light sanding and paint!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Looking great!

AZDave
02-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Is that is the origonal roller? I would replace with a new polyurathane one. How is the keel on yours? My 93 was worn to the fiberglass at the keel from that roller. Same thing on 2 94's at our lake. Bunks settlling the only root cause I could come up with.

tph
02-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Is that is the origonal roller? I would replace with a new polyurathane one. How is the keel on yours? My 93 was worn to the fiberglass at the keel from that roller. Same thing on 2 94's at our lake. Bunks settlling the only root cause I could come up with.

This flat roller has worked well for years:

orbeamlb
02-26-2014, 07:11 PM
That's looking great. Need to do the same to mine.

Mike

Towboatcapt
02-26-2014, 08:39 PM

It is the original roller and I plan on replacing it, I just didn't care to remove it before spaying. Any good source on a new one?

Towboatcapt
02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Got the 1st coat of paint on this afternoon. Hoping to get a 2nd on tomorrow and make the new bunks.

Smarten
02-27-2014, 07:25 AM
LOOKING GREAT!!!:headbang: I am hoping to get to mine this year

alfie623
02-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Couple of questions: Did I read it right that you primed and then lightly sanded before painting? If so, why did you sand and with what? How are you painting the underside? Are you laying on the ground or propping the trailer on it's side? Lastly, what are you using for the final paint?

I'm planning on doing this work while my boat is on the lift this summer and I want to get a plan put together before I start. Thanks for the help.

atihanyi
02-27-2014, 06:13 PM
From an autobody stand point I would prime with a catalyzed epoxy . If it sits for more that twenty four hours it needs to be lightly sanded with a 3m scotch bright pad to open the pores then top coat with a good base coat clear coat paint

Towboatcapt
02-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Couple of questions: Did I read it right that you primed and then lightly sanded before painting? If so, why did you sand and with what? How are you painting the underside? Are you laying on the ground or propping the trailer on it's side? Lastly, what are you using for the final paint?

I'm planning on doing this work while my boat is on the lift this summer and I want to get a plan put together before I start. Thanks for the help.

Yes I lightly sand it to help the paint "stick" I used 800 grit and just run it lightly around the whole trailer, then I clean it again with denature alcohol, then it's ready to paint. It the way I was taught when paint our steel boats at work.. works good for me but I am no expert.

I have a slanted driveway so I jacked the stern up and blocked the axel then cranked the bow all the way down. To get the bow I Left the stern blocked up and jacked the bow up as high as I could go. Still had to roll around on my back to get it but I could move freely around under the trailer.

I used the Best rustolium primer to prevent more rust next time, and used a 2 stage automotive white, I did a 2 coats of semi-gloss white, then a clear coat.

I'm no pro so I had a few runs, but will sand them down and spray in summer when the boats off again.
Hope the advise helps! ask questions on TT, I have found lots of knowledgeable people here.

Towboatcapt
02-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Got the final paint finished today.

Towboatcapt
02-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Got the new wood wrapped with grey carpet from home depot, was dark by the time I got them all bolted down so I will get a better pick tomorrow before I pick the boat up.

I fallowed the pics in this thread to do the bunks. with the 3M 5200 from Home Depot.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57935&highlight=strad

My wife was HAPPY to staple all the carpet by hand, with stainless staples. :)

Re carpeted the V- bunk and got the New Ramp-N-Clamp installed.

TOO-TALL
02-28-2014, 12:12 AM
looking good

zsqure
02-28-2014, 07:25 AM
She looks really happy to me!

mikeg205
02-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Awesome job - looks great.

1redTA
02-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Lookin good

thatsmrmastercraft
02-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Looking great. Always nice to have an assistant that enjoys her work.;)

Towboatcapt
02-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys, Just got the boat put back on the trailer, today I will be rewiring with a new harness and LED's hopefully it doesn't give me much trouble, but you know how trailer lights can be...

thatsmrmastercraft
02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
If I were putting a new wiring harness on my trailer, I would add in a second ground. Seems like 90% of all trailer light problems are from a bad ground.

Towboatcapt
02-28-2014, 10:45 AM
I was looking at tires for the trailer, When I called Discount Tire they said they do 2 Carlisle ST for $215 with a lifetime replacement. Goodyear Marathons for $260 with lifetime replacement. I've never heard of this from other tire stores on Trailer tires, so I asked again in person today and the guy said that for any reason the tire fails, if there is tread left on it they will replace it, At any discount tire in the US.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I think they have there policy on car tires and trailer tires confused.

Towboatcapt
02-28-2014, 10:45 AM
If I were putting a new wiring harness on my trailer, I would add in a second ground. Seems like 90% of all trailer light problems are from a bad ground.

Good advice!!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-28-2014, 10:50 AM
I was looking at tires for the trailer, When I called Discount Tire they said they do 2 Carlisle ST for $215 with a lifetime replacement. Goodyear Marathons for $260 with lifetime replacement. I've never heard of this from other tire stores on Trailer tires, so I asked again in person today and the guy said that for any reason the tire fails, if there is tread left on it they will replace it, At any discount tire in the US.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I think they have there policy on car tires and trailer tires confused.

Any time something sounds too good to be true...........

What size tire are you running?

Towboatcapt
02-28-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm running, 215/75R14's
I don't know what to think... I may call a random discount tire in another state and ask about a replacement trailer tire under the warranty.

Cloaked
02-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Has anyone ever heard of this? I think they have there policy on car tires and trailer tires confused.Me personally, I'd not use either brand, regardless of the warranty.

Happy and confident (hopeful) that the recently new Kumhos will serve me well. If you are so inclined to search, don't look for them from an auto supplier. Most can't get them, even if they are a Kumho dealer. I had to order mine from Tire Rack.

205/0R14 Radial 857 Trailer
$127 each = 254
No sales tax
Shipping 31.83 to TN
Total 285.83

Warranty means nothing to me. It's a disposable item to me. If it were a local buy? maybe....

Towboatcapt
02-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Me personally, I'd not use either brand, regardless of the warranty.

Happy and confident (hopeful) that the recently new Kumhos will serve me well. If you are so inclined to search, don't look for them from an auto supplier. Most can't get them, even if they are a Kumho dealer. I had to order mine from Tire Rack.

205/0R14 Radial 857 Trailer
$127 each = 254
No sales tax
Shipping 31.83 to TN
Total 285.83

Warranty means nothing to me. It's a disposable item to me. If it were a local buy? maybe....

I decided to just go ahead and get new wheels and tires from ThatsmrMC, My wheels are gross and ugly. So they would have been a sore thumb on the re painted trailer.
Thanks for the advise on the Kumho tires tho. My dad runs them on his 28ft cabin cruiser.

Cloaked
02-28-2014, 06:51 PM
I decided to just go ahead and get new wheels and tires from ThatsmrMC, My wheels are gross and ugly. So they would have been a sore thumb on the re painted trailer.
Thanks for the advise on the Kumho tires tho. My dad runs them on his 28ft cabin cruiser.Good choice. Not that you need my word of approval but you're in the right track...

Best

Towboatcapt
02-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Got the new harness in and the 2 rear most stop/tail/turns installed, so I will be legal to go to the welder tomorrow. I hope to finish the fenders and the rest of the lights beginning of next week.

h2oskifreak
02-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I bought my 1994 PS 190 3 years ago and was dragging the prop guard a lot. I had 2" blocks welded on the axel and now the trailer sits just right.

Towboatcapt
02-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I bought my 1994 PS 190 3 years ago and was dragging the prop guard a lot. I had 2" blocks welded on the axel and now the trailer sits just right.

I have casters sitting In my truck right now to weld on the back, I thought about putting blocks in but didn't cause of the time crunch having the boat off at a shop.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the advise on the Kumho tires tho. My dad runs them on his 28ft cabin cruiser.

Thank you sir, your business is greatly appreciated. http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/images/smilies/toth.gif

Towboatcapt
02-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Thank you sir, your business is greatly appreciated. http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/images/smilies/toth.gif

Hey I'm glad I can give some business and make the boat look even better on the trailer, thank you! :)

thatsmrmastercraft
02-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Hey I'm glad I can give some business and make the boat look even better on the trailer, thank you! :)

Looking forward to seeing the trailer done and new wheels and tires on it.

Towboatcapt
03-03-2014, 07:42 PM
final got the fenders painted! 2 coats and 1 clear coat. Got the New side Marker LEDs and rear LED stop/turn/Tails on. mounting the fenders and hoping to finish the lights tomorrow.

Towboatcapt
03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Another question, the MC decals on the trailer under the bow, how far back from the front of the trailer do they start?? Can anyone measure for me? I could eyeball it but wanted to put them in the correct location.

Rockman
03-03-2014, 08:18 PM
From the very front of the trailer fender, they are 36 inches forward on my trailer.

Towboatcapt
03-03-2014, 08:37 PM
From the very front of the trailer fender, they are 36 inches forward on my trailer.

Thank you!!

JMLVMI
03-03-2014, 09:37 PM
final got the fenders painted! 2 coats and 1 clear coat. Got the New side Marker LEDs and rear LED stop/turn/Tails on. mounting the fenders and hoping to finish the lights tomorrow.

Going with grip tape or diamond plate?

Towboatcapt
03-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Going with grip tape or diamond plate?

Grip tape.. Any good leads? There was nothing on it when I got the boat so I have no template to go off of.

Towboatcapt
03-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Got the STBD fender reattached, new grip tape on, (decided to go with the solid look I'm not steady enough to cut out the MC) and the guide pole with new cover on.

On to the port side!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Got the STBD fender reattached, new grip tape on, (decided to go with the solid look I'm not steady enough to cut out the MC) and the guide pole with new cover on.

On to the port side!
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=106881&stc=1&d=1393960813

That is looking great!

Towboatcapt
03-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Got the prop guard drag wheels welded on primed and painted.

Towboatcapt
03-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the Decals MikeG!!!!

Red reflective MC decal and Grey Trailer decals.

Towboatcapt
03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Got the final lights wired up today. Back up LED's! Two 10 Clear LED ovals and the light bar has 3 red running lights, and 8 clear back up lights. it looks really sharp and they give off some nice light.

Words of wisdom for lights.. if at all possible use the old wires to pull the new ones through.
Use the old rubber grommets for the tail lights, the new ones are cheap.
Self tapping screws work.. but drill a small pilot hole.
As ThatsMRMC said go ahead and put in a 2nd ground on the tongue.
and have beer on ice you will get frustrated and need one:)

thatsmrmastercraft
03-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Got the final lights wired up today. Back up LED's! Two 10 Clear LED ovals and the light bar has 3 red running lights, and 8 clear back up lights. it looks really sharp and they give off some nice light.

Words of wisdom for lights.. if at all possible use the old wires to pull the new ones through.
Use the old rubber grommets for the tail lights, the new ones are cheap.
Self tapping screws work.. but drill a small pilot hole.
As ThatsMRMC said go ahead and put in a 2nd ground on the tongue.
and have beer on ice you will get frustrated and need one:)

Looking great. And by the way.......

http://onsmartpages.com/obiwansales/nss-folder/pictures/Ups.gif

Towboatcapt
03-06-2014, 05:28 PM
New wheels and tires from ThatsMRMC installed and a couple pics of the finished product and my rig.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-06-2014, 06:08 PM
New wheels and tires from ThatsMRMC installed and a couple pics of the finished product and my rig.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=107051&stc=1&d=1394144837

Those look great! Thank you for your business. http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/images/smilies/toth.gif

alfie623
03-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Those back up lights look awesome. How did you cut the holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatsmrmastercraft
03-06-2014, 09:19 PM

Those look like flush mount lights.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=107035&stc=1&d=1394137313

alfie623
03-06-2014, 09:24 PM
I hadn't looked that hard but now I see what you mean.

Ironhorse
03-07-2014, 08:18 AM
WOW! Great job!

Towboatcapt
03-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Yes like that'sMRMC said they are surface mount. I just drilled a big enough hole for the wire, (make it big enough to use a fish tape or you could use a old metal hanger to fish the wires.)

Then I drilled and tapped the mounting holes. Grounded them using one of the mounting screws for a cleaner look.

They are nice and put out more light than I thought they would, I would recommend them if you do much trailering at night, I back up a 90 degree turn along a fence. They made it where I can see the fence!

Now we just wait for summer...

Waterskibum
03-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Trailer is looking great! Your pictures make me miss Colorado. Are you up in Arvada, Westminster? Looks like it from the houses and background.

Towboatcapt
03-14-2014, 06:11 AM
I live in Thornton, close to westminister! Just can't wait til summer!

Double D
03-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Sweet work on the trailer!! The entire package is awesome looking!

Waterskibum
03-14-2014, 12:41 PM
I live in Thornton, close to westminister! Just can't wait til summer!

Yep gotcha. I was close! Summer is coming :)