PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the help

LakeTravisBear
02-18-2014, 01:00 AM
I know the X80 towing thread was closed but wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I know the 2500 is the way to go the problem is finding one in Texas that isnt $50k. I cant even find a older model that is not all beat up. There are a ton of 1500 but I am leaning towards the 2500 because of everything discussed in here. I guess the only issue I still have is getting a 2500 I dont really like to pull this thing to the lake maybe 30 times in a year. If anyone knows of anyone selling one send them my way. Thanks again guys

Forrest-X45
02-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Send clrussell a PM. He is selling his sweet Duramax truck that will tow your X80 and your house.

clrussell
02-18-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm actually selling a great 07 classic chevy 2500 duramax. $22k takes it. Super reliable truck and will tow anything you can hook behind it. I built it to tow with and love it, just selling so I can upgrade boats. I've got 3 other tow rigs now. I've got a lot more pictures of it and if you have any questions or interest in it let me know.

417-274-2863 call me or shoot me a text.

Thanks, Corbin Russell

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/y3uby6ag.jpg

clrussell
02-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks Forrest !

JohnE
02-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Wow, I missed the fireworks in the other thread. Glad to see it was closed. Good luck with your tow vehicle search. Russell's Dmax will take care of your needs.

Forrest-X45
02-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks Forrest !

Anytime. Hate to see you sell it since you have setup just right.

Wow, I missed the fireworks in the other thread. Glad to see it was closed. Good luck with your tow vehicle search. Russell's Dmax will take care of your needs.

No kidding....must be February. :)

clrussell
02-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Anytime. Hate to see you sell it since you have setup just right.

Time for something else :)

LakeTravisBear
03-10-2014, 02:21 AM
ended up finding a 2004 8.1 4x4 2500 suburban with only 80k miles for $12K. It towes awesome and is so smooth to drive, I love it. Thanks for the help.

scott023
03-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Congrats. Post some pics of it.

Forrest-X45
03-10-2014, 02:43 PM
ended up finding a 2004 8.1 4x4 2500 suburban with only 80k miles for $12K. It towes awesome and is so smooth to drive, I love it. Thanks for the help.

Nice find!! Like Scott said - post up some pics. :D

Ski-me
03-10-2014, 03:24 PM

I have the same truck, year and engine. It's great and so much more fun to drive than the 6.0L! I'm just hitting 120k now and will keep it for the foreseeable future.

Let me know if you have any questions as I've done most of the work or just a PM if you wish:
Seat Heaters
Ball Joints
Shocks (auto ride... :mad: $$$$)
etc.

Also, pretty normal to use 1 qt of oil in 2500 miles so don't be surprised. Mine has done it since I've owned it at 18,000 miles.

LakeTravisBear
03-12-2014, 02:53 AM
Ill post some pics tomorrow. I am sure I will have questions since I am already trying to add stuff to it. I love the auto ride suspension but want to lift it a little. something 4in or lower. Any recs on a suspension lift that will not mess up the auto ride?

Ski-me
03-12-2014, 10:07 AM
You might be able to get shock extensions but not positive. Mine just has an extra leaf in the back and then the fronts (I assumed) were cranked up just a bit. Enough to fit 305's in there.

If you lift it, you may lose Autoride with aftermarket shocks. I would recommend the Bilsteins 5100's or nicer. However, once Autoride shocks are removed, it sends a signal to the computer and you get a "service ride suspension" error light. Some have suggested using a diode of some sort to trick the computer that everything is OK but I don't know how effective this is.

The ABS and possibly another component are also tied to the autoride system. So, investigate before pulling the trigger.

I just changed my shocks at an Amazon bargin price of $200/shock! I so wanted to go to Bilsteins but didn't want to deal with a potential error code. Heck, I still got an error due to a faulty "new" shock. I have since replaced that one but required a dealer visit to determine which one was bad.

Anyways, food for thought.

Here's the only pic I could find of our truck on this computer.....

scott023
03-12-2014, 10:10 AM
You might be able to get shock extensions but not positive. Mine just has an extra leaf in the back and then the fronts (I assumed) were cranked up just a bit. Enough to fit 305's in there.

If you lift it, you may lose Autoride with aftermarket shocks. I would recommend the Bilsteins 5100's or nicer. However, once Autoride shocks are removed, it sends a signal to the computer and you get a "service ride suspension" error light. Some have suggested using a diode of some sort to trick the computer that everything is OK but I don't know how effective this is.

The ABS and possibly another component are also tied to the autoride system. So, investigate before pulling the trigger.

I just changed my shocks at an Amazon bargin price of $200/shock! I so wanted to go to Bilsteins but didn't want to deal with a potential error code. Heck, I still got an error due to a faulty "new" shock. I have since replaced that one but required a dealer visit to determine which one was bad.

Anyways, food for thought.

Here's the only pic I could find of our truck on this computer.....

Are those booster cables in the water??:shocked:

Ski-me
03-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Are those booster cables in the water??:shocked:

yes, but weren't hooked up yet......

Aric'sX15
03-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Was a duramax ever an option in these trucks? I know of Duraburb, but a factory option would be sick!

Ski-me
03-12-2014, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=Aric'sX15;1022349]Was a duramax ever an option in these trucks? I know of Duraburb, but a factory option would be sick![/QUexpensive

No not offered unfortunately. I do know at least one outfit in Denver area was making them though. Pretty cool but also, pretty expensive!