PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to Texas

WakePowell
11-02-2005, 10:50 AM
I am in the process of relocating from Denver to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have ideas on where to look for a home preferably on or near water? Today will be my first visit to the area.

Gofast
11-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Where will you be working? Water is everywhere, Lakes and Private, so it's really about commute. You prefer towing or dock?

Thanks Rob

east tx skier
11-02-2005, 11:38 AM
I hear Princeton Lakes is nice. PM George about it. Lots of water in Texas.

Bruce Carr
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
If you decide not to be on the water but want access to two private/semi private sites with slalom course(s) and jump, check out www.metroplexskiclub.com. Both sites are within the city limits of Ft Worth. Definitely worth the $150 per year dues for an individual with minimal increase in dues for the family.

planoboy
11-02-2005, 12:25 PM
85 degrees here if the dfw metromess this weekend.
If you can stand the traffic. avg 20 mph during peak drive times is normal.
kinda depends on your commute.
lake Grapevine $$$ or Lewisville $$

SteveO
11-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Wake,
Good luck on the relocation. The location of the office, will obviously play a roll in where you end up. Please let me know if I can help you in any way. The metroplex has many lakes in a close proximatey. Other considerations are schools, etc. Per Bruce, the club is always looking for a few good men...and women. Princeton lakes http://www.princetonlakes.com/ is on the NE side of Dallas (north of McKinney- Allen) and the Lakes at Timber Cove http://www.latc.info/ are in Grandburry, SW of Fort Worth.

6ballsisall
11-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Heres a great website for when you start looking at homes. I think you'll be pleased with what you can buy from a home perspective as compared to Denver

www.realestatebook.com

(I'm not bias or anything :D )

east tx skier
11-02-2005, 01:10 PM
while we're at it, good ski school. www.dfwski.com.

Gofast
11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
while we're at it, good ski school. www.dfwski.com.

Hmmm.... What a great Christmas gift idea. Close to my house too ( 20 mins maybe )

Wonder if the wakeboarding class is decent?

east tx skier
11-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Don't know. The slalom instruction is quite good.

Ryan
11-02-2005, 10:56 PM
This is off the Metroplex site. Can someone explain how you'd get up on a slalom stilt ski?

TalleyHo
11-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm in NE Dallas (Garland, Sachse, Wylie, Rowlett border). I have easy access to Lavon and Hubbard.

Lavon is nice - a little trafficy in the summer, but there are enough places that you can usually find good water early/late weekends. During the day, it gets ridiculous.

Hubbard is a pretty big open lake - not many places to hide. If you don't like your prop, be sure to ski near the 66 bridge. You'll need a new one if you're not careful over there. TxDOT decided that sinking the old bridge supports would be a good idea -- for the prop shops!

There's not much in the way of water homes on Lavon. I think Hubbard has some condos available.

Welcome to DFW.

tex
11-03-2005, 12:30 PM
he kicked one off.

WakePowell
11-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the input on the Dallas-Fort Worth area. I have not had a chance to look at the area in the daylight yet but what I have seen appears great. My office is located in north Fort Worth. From what I can tell right now my best area would be in Flower Mound or Grapevine.

I am interested in buying a house that is close to water but would definitely like a newer home with a separate detached garage where I can store my toys (boat and cars). If you know of any developments that have homes like this your help would be appreciated.

How is the water in the area? It seems like with such a large number of people in the area the lakes would get a lot of pressure and smooth water would be hard to find. I have never dinged a prop on any boat I have owned but I can imagine that the lakes in the area are shallow. Any help on areas to avoid is also greatly appreciated.

erkoehler
11-03-2005, 11:02 PM
This is off the Metroplex site. Can someone explain how you'd get up on a slalom stilt ski?

Step offs anyone???? :uglyhamme

east tx skier
11-04-2005, 11:55 AM
From Ft. Worth, there is definitely smooth water. It's a bit of a drive, but just ask around.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Why the sudden want to move from Denver. Anything to do with the new legalized "WEED"?

Larryp
11-04-2005, 12:13 PM
If you going to be close to lewisville, there you go. Look at Little Elm they are close to lake lewisville and home prices are cheaper.

Ric
11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
he kicked one off.
I know funny and that's funny

tex
11-04-2005, 12:30 PM
i'm serious. i have driven that act.

Ric
11-04-2005, 12:33 PM
i'm serious. i have driven that act.
so how'd he do it?

tex
11-04-2005, 12:35 PM
he sits on a chair and does a dock start on 2 stilt skis. he rides around and drops one. wakepowell, i pm'd my # to you. call me and i will fill you in. i used to work in north fw.

Ric
11-04-2005, 12:58 PM
he sits on a chair and does a dock start on 2 stilt skis. he rides around and drops one. wakepowell, i pm'd my # to you. call me and i will fill you in. i used to work in north fw.
how high off the water is the chair when he starts :eek:

tex
11-04-2005, 01:53 PM
it's a regular folding chair

Ric
11-04-2005, 02:07 PM
it's a regular folding chair
I wondered how he started on that thing whether it was one or two but I seriously thought you were kidding when you said he dropped one!!

SteveO
11-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Wake, found another place for you to check out. Certainly within driving distance of N Fort Worth. http://www.northstarpointe.com. Tex and I will bring the beers and watch you unpack.

jraben8
11-04-2005, 04:43 PM
I'd be happy to help SteveO and Tex watch...

Ric
11-04-2005, 04:46 PM
I am in the process of relocating from Denver to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have ideas on where to look for a home preferably on or near water? Today will be my first visit to the area.
Will you be bringing all the houseboat honeys along with??

SteveO
11-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Will you be bringing all the houseboat honeys along with??

If he brought them, I bet his help moving in would upgrade form me and Tex with Coors light to everyone in the 3 state area. Shoot we could have the southern Mag fest and invite our friend to the north.

Ric
11-04-2005, 05:25 PM
If he brought them, I bet his help moving in would upgrade form me and Tex with Coors light to everyone in the 3 state area. Shoot we could have the southern Mag fest and invite our friend to the north.
throw in a movie camera or two and it's a party ! Heyyyyyy!

jraben8
11-04-2005, 05:34 PM

We need to have a Southern Mag Fest anyway...

east tx skier
11-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Now you're talkin'! Lone Star Mag Mania!

Ryan
11-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Anyone in Fort Worth ski through December? I'm going to be out there the second week of the month.

tex
11-08-2005, 09:30 AM
It is in the high 80's today. We should be skiing. I will pm you my contact information! I should be able to hook you up!

WakePowell
11-16-2005, 09:34 AM
So much for the warm weather here in Texas, I get here and the first freeze of the season occurs. But, it is much better than Denver where a blizzard blew through the area.

As far as bring some of my Lake Powell “friends” with me to Texas, only my wife will make the trip. She is the “feisty” one and is not that excited yet about the relocation. I did promise to make at least one houseboat trip to Lake Powell each summer and that has gone a long way to make her happy.

SteveO
11-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Anyone in Fort Worth ski through December? I'm going to be out there the second week of the month.

Bring the wetsuit. I am in Lake Tahoe the 5-9th, but around the rest of the month as of now. I'll drop you a PM with my cell.

tex
11-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Wakepowell and Ryan-

Let's make Stevo drag his hot 209 out when Ryan gets into town. What are the dates? If I am not stuck at x-mas parties, we can come back to my house for some food and refreshing adult beverages!

SteveO
11-25-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm in, although Ryan called me and his trip has been delayed to January. Tex you in town this weekend? Going to MSC Sunday??? If so, call my cell.

tex
11-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Did you love the wind? I drove by and I have never seen it that rough!

Ric
11-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Did you love the wind? I drove by and I have never seen it that rough!
same here...... NOT cool :noface:

Ryan
11-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm in, although Ryan called me and his trip has been delayed to January. Tex you in town this weekend? Going to MSC Sunday??? If so, call my cell.

I'll be there the first week of January. Unfortunately my schedlue isn't very flexible. I will most likely have spare time on the afternoon and evening Wed 1/3/05, but that's it.

Anyone know if the airlines (American this time) charge for taking a slalom ski? For snow skis I no longer like paying the fee, just take my own boots and rent skis.

Leroy
11-28-2005, 10:01 PM
I've never paid for skis!

AA policy:
https://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml
Skis Water / Snow1 pair of skis and one bag containing a pair of ski boots only
Two pieces - Ski boot bag and one pair of skis are free in place of one 62 inch bag.
Ski boot bag up to 50 lbs. and 62 inches and one pair of skis-

Ryan
11-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Two years ago, I was on Delta and they charged my $40 each way. To clarify, (this is what they told me at the time) that a ski bag didn't use to count against your total number of bags, now it does. I had skis, a gear bag and a suit case and paid extra. It looks like Delta changed their policy back.

"Ski or Snowboard Equipment One item of ski or snowboard equipment is accepted as part of your free checked baggage allowance. Has no one else run into this? Could it just be an Orange County thing? There are a lot of other odd things about this airport.

One item of ski or snowboard equipment is defined as:

One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag, and
One boot bag
These combined items must meet the standard free baggage allowances for weight and number of pieces or normal excess baggage charges will apply."

Ryan
11-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Another from Delta
"Size

Bags Fee Paid at Check-in
Any item over 62 inches
(not to exceed 80 inches) $100 each"

My skis are 191cm = 75.2

east tx skier
11-29-2005, 11:32 AM
I've never paid for skis either though the policy has been in place when I've flown with them. Flying from DFW to DEN during ski season, I'm prepared to argue that one. What do they think I'm going there to do?

Ryan
11-30-2005, 05:29 PM
I argued with two managers about it, until it got too close to departure time. Once to SLC, I called the delta office there and they gave me the same line of 'Skis and gear bag no longer count as one, so pay up"(or something like that). So, I left the skis at the concierge and had my sister (who lives there) pick them up and bring them down for me the next time she came to avoid paying to bring them back. The worste was that I could have had rentals paid by my co. but wanted to use my own. I haven't flown to ski since.

I just called Delta and they had a period of time where they were charging for extra length items and are more lenient now. Sounds like an exec's short run plan to gain a few extra bucks real quick.

tex
11-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Ryan,
I have a pair of 72" freestyle jumpers and a pair of 86" LD jumpers that you can borrow when you get here.

Ryan
11-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Ryan,
I have a pair of 72" freestyle jumpers and a pair of 86" LD jumpers that you can borrow when you get here.

Sweet! I've never jumped before! :banana:

tex
11-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Knees...Trees...Freeze!

SteveO
11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Looks like a party boys. If the weather is nice, I may be able to leave a little early that day.

rodltg2
11-30-2005, 07:04 PM
i would love to try jumping too. ive riden jumpers but never off a ramp. i guess ill add that to the many other things i want to try.

Ryan
01-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Alright guys, I'm going to have to pull the plug on any skiing in Dallas this week. Some projects have come up that will require me to stay and work at the hotel during any spare second.

east tx skier
01-03-2006, 01:27 PM
That's too bad. If the weather here is any indication, it'd be plenty warm for you. The wind we had over the weekend seems to have died down a bit. Of course, Dallas tends to be a bit breezier.

tex
01-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Ryan, I go by that hotel on the way home from work. Do you have time for a fly by beer?

Ryan
01-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Ryan, I go by that hotel on the way home from work. Do you have time for a fly by beer?

Check your PMs.