PDA

View Full Version : WTB air exhust for doghouse

JayBrown
02-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Looking for a crome air exhust for the back of my dog house covering the motor. I have seen them on most of everyone's 70's S&S models on here but mine dosn't have one.

Cloaked
02-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Looking for a crome air exhust for the back of my dog house covering the motor. I have seen them on most of everyone's 70's S&S models on here but mine dosn't have one.Dog house and a motor... :D :D :):)

Not exactly sure what you're looking for so I ask this: do you have a vent opening in the engine cover and need a cover for it? Or do you not have a vent opening at all and want to cut a hole in which to place a cover?

Here's a source that I used for several applications ==> http://www.rexmar.com/page26.html

thatsmrmastercraft
02-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Dog house and a motor... :D :D :):)

Not exactly sure what you're looking for so I ask this: do you have a vent opening in the engine cover and need a cover for it? Or do you not have a vent opening at all and want to cut a hole in which to place a cover?

Here's a source that I used for several applications ==> http://www.rexmar.com/page26.html

Great link!

JayBrown
02-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Yes that is what I was looking for thanks, dose it make it louder with it vents in the cover? I don't want to go louder.

Cloaked
02-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Yes that is what I was looking for thanks, dose it make it louder with it vents in the cover? I don't want to go louder.Maybe a tiny bit louder but it's insignificant. Thinking back on the older boats that I have had, the hard shell engine cover was not insulated. You can easily add insulation (from McMaster-Carr) that will add a significant level of noise reduction.

Noise would not be my primary issues; where ventilation under the engine cover is important for venting gas fumes if that should occur (reducing the risk of fire or explosion). The older boats have the blower in the rear with flow-through ventilation that begins on the bow. Typically that is sufficient but additional ventilation methods can not hurt. Personally I think if your engine is properly maintained with maintenance / carb / fuel pump / fuel lines and clamps, etc....you should not have any issues but that is not 100% of reducing all possible risk of fumes building up and igniting from a spark source.

Along with insulation, a new set of mufflers for that boat will do wonders on the reduction of noise. I am betting those do not have baffles and you're essentially running straight exhaust (noise) on out the back. I wish my machine was a quite as a new automobile. :D I do not like engine noise unless I'm on the upper end of the throttle and the secondaries are opening...

thatsmrmastercraft
02-13-2014, 01:54 PM
1976 was the first year for mufflers. Adding the insulation goes a long way towards limiting the sound.

JayBrown
02-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Yes mine dose not have any insulation but is actually not loud at all. Even with it running 3/4 throttle I can still talk to everyone in the boat. But as cloaked mentioned I would like it more air so it dosn't go boom.