PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex?

6ballsisall
11-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Does anyone have a bowflex? Do you like it? Wife and I want to get a home gym system, nothing to elaborate but something to tone up with. She doesn't know it but she is getting a treadmill for Christmas (She has wanted one since she had the baby) I'd look at a gym to join but there isn't anything that great in our area and with the baby it's hard for us to both work out together. So back to the original question, do you like your bowflex and which model do you have?

OhioProstar
11-02-2005, 09:18 AM
I have the Sport and love it. Some people like free weights better...but IMHO the bowflex does a better job of isolating muscle groups. If you currently work out with a lot of weight I would buy the extra power bands.

starman205
11-02-2005, 10:02 AM
I have the Bowflex Power Pro XTL with the Lat tower, Leg Extention and Squat attachments.It's one of the best investments I've made. I can do all of the excercises I used to do at the Fitness club I used to belong to. It actually has turned out to be better because when you are working on one set of muscles you have to stabilize your whole body to perfrom a set correctly. In other words you end up in effect working multiple muscle groups. The biggest benefit I have gotten with this machine is that it has increased my shoulder strength and thus I am able to ski with much less fatique. This was a surprise as I did nothing special to target my shoulders. If you buy this machine you should at a minimum upgrade to 310 lbs of resistance, and maybe even all the way to 410 lbs for leg specifc exercises. It didn't take me long to outgrow the 310 bs for my legs. :wavey:

OhioProstar
11-02-2005, 10:13 AM
http://www.fit-at-home.com/forum/

east tx skier
11-02-2005, 10:18 AM
I've often thought of getting one just because it seems to be able to compact for storage better than anything else.

I dropped my gym membership and made a $300 investment in a weight cage from oshmans.com about 3 years ago. It currently occupies a small section of my garage and is used between 3--4 times per week. With an adjustable bench and the lat/rowing/butterfly attachments, I can get everything done I used to pay about $35 per month to a gym to do.

Also have a treadmill for when it's too cold to run outside.

Working out at home is the way to go if you can motivate yourself to do it. Actually, it's much easier to get it done at home than it was to get myself out of the house and to the gym.

Sorry for the slight threadjack. I went with the cage because it was so much less expensive than bowflex (already had the weights). What will a bowflex with the minimum weight and lat/rowing attachments run me. (back on track. see).

lakes Rick
11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Haven't you seen the 51 year old Gramma on TV?? She was but ugly before her Bowflex.....

And if she is single I wish she would call me.......

BriEOD
11-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Haven't you seen the 51 year old Gramma on TV?? She was but ugly before her Bowflex.....

And if she is single I wish she would call me.......

You kill me Rick! But, I agree, no flies on her. :D

3event
11-03-2005, 08:52 AM
We bought a Bowflex Sport at Sportmart for $799 on sale early in the summer, but did not get regular on it while MC time was still running. Now that the boat is hibernating, trying to get a routine started.

We love it, although the wife wants more leg exercises so we have to order the leg strap things you put on your ankles. Nice and smooth, quick to change. It's a good workout. I also agree that if you workout with heavy weights you will want the power rod upgrade.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 09:04 AM
I don't have one personally(my wife and I still use free weights, and soloflex), but a few of my relatives do have them. I think it is an awesome set up, and very durable. Some of them use them a few times everyday. They also have free weights in a stackable system to compliment the bench, that is cool too.
Seems to be a very worthwhile investment.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-03-2005, 10:12 AM
She doesn't know it but she is getting a treadmill for Christmas (She has wanted one since she had the baby)

Are You SURE???? I made the mistake of getting an Airdyne for my wife a few Christmas seasons ago and it took me about 3 months to get out of the dog house for my lapse in judgement (she told me she wanted one too!). Sometimes you just can't win :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
11-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Are You SURE???? I made the mistake of getting an Airdyne for my wife a few Christmas seasons ago and it took me about 3 months to get out of the dog house for my lapse in judgement (she told me she wanted one too!). Sometimes you just can't win :rolleyes:

Yeah, she talks about it all the time. Actually she put in writing for me what she wants for Christmas and it's on the top of list. So if it goes thru the high courts, I have it in writing :D :uglyhamme

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 12:16 PM
My wife asked me for some new pants once, got her EXACTLY what she asked for, and when they didn't fit right, guess who's fault it was!!! Nice!!

Better buy it JUST BECAUSE, not as a gift....... M2C!!

jraben8
11-03-2005, 01:12 PM
My wife asked me for some new pants once, got her EXACTLY what she asked for, and when they didn't fit right, guess who's fault it was!!! Nice!!

Better buy it JUST BECAUSE, not as a gift....... M2C!!

Yep, that's what gift cards are for. I too have made the same mistake (she actually put them in my hand).

I agree with W4T on this one and don't present it as a gift.

LakePirate
11-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Get her an iron while you are at it....

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 01:53 PM
LOL.....LP.

And some pots and pans.....

LakePirate
11-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I can hear the conversation in my house

"you think I'm fat?"

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 02:02 PM
I can hear the conversation in my house

"you think I'm fat?"

I hear that!!!! But then again, that's me. I'd bet JR's house is much different.....Right?:confused:

LakePirate
11-03-2005, 02:26 PM
I hear that!!!! But then again, that's me. I'd bet JR's house is much different.....Right?:confused:

Sure it is...:rolleyes:

OhioProstar
11-03-2005, 03:25 PM
After we bought a treadmill a while back. The wife was just finishing running and said something to the effect that she wanted to lose a little weight besides getting in shape...So I said, "You had better get back on there then" Simply meaning she wasn't even breathing heavy yet.

I haven't live that down since.

lakes Rick
11-03-2005, 10:13 PM
After we bought a treadmill a while back. The wife was just finishing running and said something to the effect that she wanted to lose a little weight besides getting in shape...So I said, "You had better get back on there then" Simply meaning she wasn't even breathing heavy yet.

I haven't live that down since.

You mean like singing "havin my baby" when her gut gets a little big??? Trust me young people, it does not get you laid.. ( or spoken too for a few days).....

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Simply meaning she wasn't even breathing heavy yet.

I don't imagine you got to do any heavy breathing for a while either....unless you had to start running!!