PDA

View Full Version : Real waterskiing

bcampbe7
07-28-2004, 10:16 AM
This may be an old one but I thought it was appropriate for this site...

bradamerry
07-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Nice pic. That should help the barefooter that needs more speed also. :eek:

MarkP
07-28-2004, 10:29 AM
I’m not thrilled about the wake:noface:
I would think its a strong pull though

bradamerry
07-28-2004, 10:37 AM
You would have to short line, that's for sure. It has a spray problem as well.

MarkP
07-28-2004, 10:40 AM
And the rooster tail :eek3:

bradamerry
07-28-2004, 10:43 AM
I just want to drive!! :steering: :headbang:

André
07-28-2004, 10:44 AM
...Yep,but what a suntan from the afterburners...! :steering:

bcampbe7
07-28-2004, 10:44 AM
That water is way too rough to be trying to ski anyway. Looks like a swarm of river turds is in the area.

bradamerry
07-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Mark, I will pull you on a tube, hop on. :uglyhamme

east tx skier
07-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Huh huh, power slot. Like the twin drives. Is that an X-80? Nice pic.

NSXBill
07-29-2004, 12:41 PM
How about this tight turn at the end of the slalom course?

DanC
07-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Looks like she's cavitating, probably should talk to Doug about changing the prop :uglyhamme .

NSXBill
07-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Looks more like rudder stall to me...

Perhaps some hydro rails would be in order?

DanC
07-29-2004, 01:27 PM
I guess they didn't get the factory recall notice. Wait, I forgot. Boat companies don't send out factory recall notices. Only car companies do that because they've been b---- slapped enough times. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
07-29-2004, 05:06 PM
I think I'll just keep my mouth shut on this one. 8p

Dan K
08-02-2004, 02:15 PM
I was wondering if either one of these use PP ?

Leroy
08-02-2004, 10:30 PM
They could both use some design help from MC, the wake is all wrong, and the spray is horrible. However I bet board dudes would love the air behind that F-15!

I guess the boat is really closed bow....

fletch_n_me
08-02-2004, 10:44 PM
My Two Favorite Things In One Post? Change the aircraft and you got yourself a deal.

NSXBill
08-03-2004, 10:58 AM
The first pic is an F-14 Tomcat, Navy. F-15 Eagle is AF.

Here's another one (B-1)

mgurley
08-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Sweet pic. :toast:

captkidd
08-09-2004, 03:17 PM
This has nothing to do with skiing, but when has that ever stopped anyone?

Awesome - Wanna see a sonic boom? Through the viewfinder of his camera, Ensign John Gay could see the fighter plane drop from the sky heading toward the port side of the aircraft carrier Constellation. At 1,000 feet, the pilot drops the F/A-18C Hornet to increase his speed to 750 mph, vapor flickering off the curved surfaces of the plane. In the precise moment a cloud in the shape of a farm-fresh egg forms around the Hornet 200 yards from the carrier, its engines rippling the Pacific Ocean just 75 feet below, Gay hears an explosion and snaps his camera shutter once. "I clicked the same time I heard the boom, and I knew I had it," Gay said. What he had was a technically meticulous depiction of the sound barrier being broken July 7, 1999, somewhere on the Pacific between Hawaii and Japan. Sports Illustrated, Brills Content, and Life ran the photo. The photo recently took first prize in the science and technology division in the World Press Photo 2000 contest, which drew more than 42,000 entries worldwide. "All of a sudden, in the last few days, I've been getting calls from everywhere about it again. It's kind of neat," he said, in a telephone interview from his station in Virginia Beach, VA. A naval veteran of 12 years, Gay, 38, manages a crew of eight assigned to take intelligence photographs from the high-tech belly of an F-14 Tomcat, the fastest fighter in the US Navy. In July, Gay had been part of a Joint Task Force Exercise as the Constellation made its way to Japan. Gay selected his Nikon 90 S, one of the five 35 mm cameras he owns. He set his 80-300 mm zoom lens on 300 mm, set his shutter speed at 1/1000 of a second with an aperture setting of F5.6. "I put it on full manual, focus and exposure," Gay said. "I tell young photographers who are into automatic everything, you aren't going to get that shot on auto. The plane is too fast. The camera can't keep up." At sea level a plane must exceed 741 mph to break the sound barrier, or the speed at which sound travels. The change in pressure as the plane outruns all of the pressure and sound waves in front of it is heard on the ground as an explosion or sonic boom. The pressure change condenses the water in the air as the jet passes these waves. Altitude, wind speed, humidity, the shape and trajectory of the plane -- all of these affect the breaking of this barrier. The slightest drag or atmospheric pull on the plane shatters the vapor oval like fireworks as the plane passes through, he said everything on July 7 was perfect. "You see this vapor flicker around the plane that gets bigger and bigger. You get this loud boom, and it's instantaneous. The vapor cloud is there, and then it's not there. It's the coolest thing you have ever seen." Now take a look...

NSXBill
08-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Not to be outdone by the jet boys...

lakes Rick
08-10-2004, 04:58 PM
NSXbill,

There is another B-1 pic around based on what happened to some people.. They were on a mountain lake shore, somewhat of a point of shore that was more into the lake , like an island, when a B-1 came out of nowhere at about 50 feet off the surface of the lake and went by rather close... Can you just imagine that happening to you.. It would go by so fast you would have to sit back and think "did that just happen".....

Buddy was on his way to Vegas, south of Reno on I-95, and had always wondered what the "signs" were off to the east.. He found out that day when the jets where buzzing the Highway "shooting" at the "signs" ( targets) He said it was pretty cool... Must of been around Nellis AFB.......

"Big Easy's Rule".......

DanC
08-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Awesome picture Captain. Although, the photographer's explanation seems a little off, maybe dramatized for public consumption. The picture is not from an aircraft carrier since it is taken from the same altitude (although the photographer never actually says he took the photo from the carrier, just implied). The picture angle is from the front of the aircraft and if he waited until he HEARD the sonic boom, the aircraft would have long ago been through the cloud.

We were houseboating at Lake Oroville two years ago when an A6 Intruder came screaming down the fork about 600' off the water (maybe lower I'm not a real good at distances), weaving between the canyon walls, passed directly overhead. Scared the poop out of us but what a rush. One minute :friday: , the next minute :eek3: , the next minute :headbang: :woohoo:

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Bill that's a joke right? No way a <edit> P-3 is supersonic, specs: 466 mph (411 knots, 745 kmph). Unless they strapped a JETO or a Phoenix Missile Rocket motor to that thing. Someone is having fun with photo editor.

Farmer Ted
08-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Brian,

Have you ever seen the video of the MC-130 that was jerry rigged for the Iran hostage rescue? It had forward facing rocket motors that were intened for the plane to be landed on a soccer field. The rockets were going to be the ultimate reverse thrust.
Great idea on paper but it destroyed the plane when they tested it. I've never seen a JATO take off but I did see a Swedish Air Force C-130 pull off some pretty impressive moves at RAF Mildenhall during Air Fete 98.

The prop plane under the F-18 is a P-3 Orion, not a C-130 same engine I believe but flown by Larry.....Go Navy!!!

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 11:31 AM
That was my first thought when I saw that. Gotta be photoshopped. If not, I wasn't aware that any supersonic turboprop-driven aircraft existed (or that that was even possible).

jimmer2880
08-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Look closely at the surrounding clouds & where the tail enters the puff.... It's the same exact pic - just with the prop-plane photo-shop'd into it.

NSXBill
08-11-2004, 01:55 PM
C'mon guys! Of course its a joke. The P-3 guys photoshopped that pic years ago. The F-18 one may even be photoshopped. I've seen the same picture with an F-14.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a military aircraft nut having worked as an engineer either directly on or for the manufacturer of most of our current aircraft.

I've seen the video of the C-130 w/ fwd-facing JATO (That's JATO...Jet Assisted Take-Off). Pretty sad.

I've also seen the real video of an F-14 passing by a carrier supersonically with the vapor clouds forming...cool. I wish I could attach it, but the forum won't let me.

I can at least post the C-130 (which we make right now where I am) with JATO's ablaze. Look out.