View Full Version : Snowmobile Guys - What type of Helmet

Flatwaterfooter
11-01-2005, 01:16 PM
I am looking to pick up a new helmet this year. What does everyone have

erkoehler
11-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I have 2:

1-Arctic Cat TXI full face helmet. W/ electric shield
1-Arctic Cat Sno-cross helmet w/ quick snap goggles.

stump
11-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Arctic Cat TXI w/electric visor. I tried it without the electric visor, as I was told "they never fog up", but a few miles of snow dust at -25c proved that to be incorrect. Other than that, excellent helmet all around!

bigmac
11-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I am looking to pick up a new helmet this year. What does everyone have

I've used a BVS2 for a few seasons and it has worked out very well for me. Kind of ugly, IMHO, but very warm, doesn't fog, no air leaks. Prior to that I used a SkiDoo modular. It never fogged, but it was a rather cumbersome helmet and the air whistling through it was impressive.

tommcat
11-01-2005, 02:23 PM
i use HJC and have for about 10 years. i currently have the CL-14 as does my girlfriend and they are great.
my entire riding group(10 guys and a few wives) also uses HJC and love them

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
I have a bunch, none to brag about.
But my newest addition I JUST ordered and have to wait a few days. The brand new Crosstec from Arctic Cat. It is by far the coolest helmet I have ever "seen". IMO, of course. Some of my buddies like them, others don't. Some seem to think I have a warped sence of taste, after all I regularly wear the sunglasses as seen in my Avatar:D .
NONE of us have tried them yet, as they have not been available yet. The good thing is it is SNELL and DOT approved.
I can't wait to try it out.

JDK
11-01-2005, 02:54 PM
The good thing is it is SNELL and DOT approved.

threadjack...... There was a very well written and researched artical in Motorcyclist Magazine this past summer about 'Snell rated' helmets.
Long story short is that the stresses a helmet must withstand to get the rating are too much for your brain to withstand. This means after a spill, your helmet is fine, but your brain is scrambled. This artical also provided a lot of proof that a 'softer' helmet liner and shell would result in less injury.
Another interesting thing that I didn't know is that helmet manufacturers must pay the Snell organization for the tests (which is fine by me) BUT, they also must pay to put that snell sticker on the helmet also.
I currently have an Arai full face (and I ride a GW) but I don't think my next bucket will have a Snell sticker on it.

JDK
11-01-2005, 02:56 PM
I forgot..... for sledding, I've got a Cat TXI with an electric shield. Very comfortable helmet and the shield works great.

bigmac
11-01-2005, 03:17 PM
threadjack...... There was a very well written and researched artical in Motorcyclist Magazine this past summer about 'Snell rated' helmets.
Long story short is that the stresses a helmet must withstand to get the rating are too much for your brain to withstand. This means after a spill, your helmet is fine, but your brain is scrambled. This artical also provided a lot of proof that a 'softer' helmet liner and shell would result in less injury.
Another interesting thing that I didn't know is that helmet manufacturers must pay the Snell organization for the tests (which is fine by me) BUT, they also must pay to put that snell sticker on the helmet also.
I currently have an Arai full face (and I ride a GW) but I don't think my next bucket will have a Snell sticker on it.

Snell is overrated, and I agree completely with this post. The point of a helmet is to keep as little energy as possible from being transmitted to the brain - want to keep it confined to the helmet. The helmet will be destroyed in the process as the shell disrupts and the styrofoam liner is crushed, but the energy needed to cause that damage is energy that is NOT transmitted to the brain.

When I see motorycycle or snowmobile accidents in the ER, I always make it a point to examine the helmet. I can say conclusively that the worst head injuries come from accidents where afterwards the helmet looks the least damaged.

Snell has too much emphasis on helmet integrity to be completely safe IMHO.

Thrall
11-01-2005, 03:49 PM
IMO, a MX type helmet and goggles is the only way to go. Rode for years w/ various full face helmets and once I switched to a MX helmet, I never went back.
Have a HJC and a KBC helmets. With a decent pair of goggles and a good breath deflector both work great. On the coldest days, I wear a thin baclava underneath. 80% of the time, no head garments other than the helmet.

milkmania
11-01-2005, 04:34 PM
curious here....

these "electric" helmets...
do they plug into a port on the snowmobile?

Datdude
11-01-2005, 04:44 PM
What's with all of the Cat guys on here? I figured MC owners had a little more taste than to own Cats :) I had a Bombi modular and it sucked. The snaps on the breathbox would freeze and break off every time out. I bought an HJC Snow-X helmet and it is awesome. the only thing I added was quick straps for my goggles(awesome). This helmet was comfortable down to -25F with no problems

Flatwaterfooter
11-01-2005, 05:01 PM
You are making it hard to decide. I was leaning toward the modular, but have heard good things about the mx style. I am afraid that the MX style will be to cold. What to do what to do.

bigmac
11-01-2005, 05:46 PM
What's with all of the Cat guys on here? I figured MC owners had a little more taste than to own Cats :) I had a Bombi modular and it sucked. The snaps on the breathbox would freeze and break off every time out. I bought an HJC Snow-X helmet and it is awesome. the only thing I added was quick straps for my goggles(awesome). This helmet was comfortable down to -25F with no problems

The SkiDoo modular is a pretty good helmet, but mine (first year version) leaked a lot of air. They subsequently improved them. They do not fog. I've heard of the snaps breaking, but neither my son nor I have ever had that happen.

The BVS2 is sort of the opposite of a snow-x helmet. I use a very thin polypropylene balaclava, just slide it on - and go. It's quiet and warm. Works well with the throat mike and earphones we use on our radios.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 06:52 PM
I am afraid that the MX style will be to cold.

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 06:55 PM
What's with all of the Cat guys on here? I figured MC owners had a little more taste than to own Cats :)
Only someone with a very slow and rough riding sled would make a comment like that!!!;)
And for the record, there are probably an equal split of Yami's and Cats here. Not sure about Poo's and Dont's.:D haven't paid much attention to those.:)

erkoehler
11-01-2005, 06:56 PM
You are making it hard to decide. I was leaning toward the modular, but have heard good things about the mx style. I am afraid that the MX style will be to cold. What to do what to do.

I used mine for 1 1/2 seasons before taking a blow to the head and retiring it. Never was cold. Very comfortable.

erkoehler
11-01-2005, 06:57 PM
curious here....

Just the shields are electric so that they don't fog, frost, or ice up. Kind of like the defroster on your car. It is just an rca jack that you can hook it into the electrical system on the sled.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Snell is overrated, and I agree completely with this post. The point of a helmet is to keep as little energy as possible from being transmitted to the brain - want to keep it confined to the helmet. The helmet will be destroyed in the process as the shell disrupts and the styrofoam liner is crushed, but the energy needed to cause that damage is energy that is NOT transmitted to the brain.

When I see motorycycle or snowmobile accidents in the ER, I always make it a point to examine the helmet. I can say conclusively that the worst head injuries come from accidents where afterwards the helmet looks the least damaged.

Snell has too much emphasis on helmet integrity to be completely safe IMHO.
Then why can it be D.O.T. and SNELL approved and be as UNsafe as you say?

BTW, I was wrong about mine anyway since it was brought up, I double checked, the book. The helmet I ordered is not SNELL (good or bad, whatever) I was 99% it was, but I was looking at the details of another helmet on the same page. Whoops. It is only D.O.T. approved.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 07:04 PM
curious here....

Some have plugs you have to retro fit. Some have ports built in. Depends on the sled.
Mine has a connector under the dash I have to add a 2 way, sort of like a small trailer connector. And then it will plug right in.

erkoehler
11-01-2005, 07:04 PM

BTW, I was wrong about mine anyway since it was brought up, I double checked, the book. The helmet I ordered is not SNELL (good or bad, whatever) I was 99% it was, but I was looking at the details of another helmet on the same page. Whoops. It is only D.O.T. approved.

Where did you order the cross tec from? Did you find out if you have to have a system installed on your sled? How much did the setup run you?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Where did you order the cross tec from? Did you find out if you have to have a system installed on your sled? How much did the setup run you?
I forget, I did not get the price break down of each piece I ordered. Like I told you I ordered a ton of stuff.:)
I think it is about $370 with all the toys.
NO it will not work with the communicator. It is a set up for touring sleds only (So I was told by someone who knows) I am sure we could get it to work, but I chose not to.
I would rather get the two ways with GPS and use the FireFox setup anyway. This way we can use them for others toys too and not HAVE to use it only on the sled.

I ordered it from my NEW local shop...;)

erkoehler
11-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Be sure to post some pics when you get it.

bigmac
11-01-2005, 08:50 PM

The requirments for DOT are a subset of Snell. If it's Snell, it will almost certainly meet DOT. The reverse isn't true, however.

These traumatic brain injuries are usually from head in motion. The brain sloshes around in the skull and is injured on both the side of the impact when it sloshes forward and on the opposite side where sloshes back. The energy that's transmitted to the brain to cause that is lessened by the amount of energy that the helmet absorbs. If the emphasis is on integrity of the shell and it's imact-absorbing liner, that brain-injuring impact energy is more directly transmitted rather than using some of that energy in the destruction of the helmet. Obviously there's a point of diminishing returns there, but I'm inclined to think that the the more rigid the helmet, the more likely the TBI.

Some of the worst head injuries I've seen have been those where the helmet came in looking completely intact. Warning - this is anecdotal evidence only.

There are some really excellent and safe helmets out there that are Snell-approved. But the market for $600 helmets is smaller than for $300 helmets, and if a manufacturer wants to make his helmet look better by having both DOT and Snell, he can do that by focusing on the rigidity of the shell rather than going the more expensive route and making sure the shell and liner work together as a system.

BradD
11-01-2005, 08:56 PM
I sweat like a fat man, so I have had some serious problems with fogging. Last year I bought 2 different helmets, neither helped. My buddies all ride with the modular ski doo helmets, I am bidding on one now.

erkoehler
11-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I sweat like a fat man, so I have had some serious problems with fogging. Last year I bought 2 different helmets, neither helped. My buddies all ride with the modular ski doo helmets, I am bidding on one now.

Have you tried a heated shield?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Be sure to post some pics when you get it.
I'll probably bring it to the next meeting;) :toast:

erkoehler
11-01-2005, 10:59 PM
I'll probably bring it to the next meeting;) :toast:

Ouch, when was that again?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Ouch, when was that again?
The "NEXT" one was two days ago!!:eek:

I'll let you know about the next, next one.:) And I'll get some pics if it ever comes in. Most dealers are saying Mid Nov. They must be "testing" them. My dealer says "about a week". Whatever. I have a few to use in the meantime, just none that match the new gear....

erkoehler
11-01-2005, 11:06 PM
It was Sunday night? I thought you said it was on a Monday???? ***, WFT I could have gone on Sunday :mad: I will really try to make the next one....what is it that takes place at these "meetings"????

milkmania
11-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Some have plugs you have to retro fit. Some have ports built in. Depends on the sled.
Mine has a connector under the dash I have to add a 2 way, sort of like a small trailer connector. And then it will plug right in.

I'm picturing like those powerwheels® jeeps, motorcycles for the kids connectors???

*edit, nevermind....evidentally they changed to a newer style connector

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 11:15 PM
It was Sunday night? I thought you said it was on a Monday???? ***, WFT I could have gone on Sunday :mad: I will really try to make the next one....what is it that takes place at these "meetings"????
Well, at the last one I was at, a few "barely dressed" waitresses putting on snowmobile gear some guys brought and were posing for pics. Lots of drinkin', talking about riding areas and who rides what, and where. The next one I think we will be putting a trip or two together. Between the usual 15 or so riders we ride with, and the people who show up at the meetings and their riders, we are bound to make a serious impact on a trail somewhere when it snows.:D Not to mention the fuel stops, food stops, and parking lots.
Sorry, it was the 29th which was saturday. That one was in one of the guys garages, but it was out your direction.
We have a few trips already booked for U.P. and Wisc. Jan Feb And March.
We are going to hit a few of the race events.

Now back on helmets.....TJ Whoops...

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm picturing like those powerwheels® jeeps, motorcycles for the kids connectors???

*edit, nevermind....evidentally they changed to a newer style connector
Swiped pic because mine is not "in" yet. Just like a trailer plug.

Thrall
11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Only someone with a very slow and rough riding sled would make a comment like that!!!;)
And for the record, there are probably an equal split of Yami's and Cats here. Not sure about Poo's and Dont's.:D haven't paid much attention to those.:)

1 Poo, 1 Cat, 1 Doo (up until a couple weeks ago anyway, just sold it. '98 MXZx 440. Was gonna' make a little 670 hillclimber out of it. Didn't.)

Datdude
11-02-2005, 01:33 PM

Slow...I don't think so

Rough Riding....I don't think so

I am ashamed to say that I did own a Cat for a short time, but the REV platform is far and away the best sled on the market (for my riding style anyways) I am 6'4" and can comfortably ride standing up which helps in the really rough stuff. I had a 2002 MXZ 700 Adrenaline and after buying the REV it felt so weird to ride. I put 1.2 miles on it last Winter and sold it this Fall.

Back on topic.....Do NOT be afraid of MX style helmets being cold. With a proper breath box and balaclava I have ridden comfortably with the air temps at -25F (not the wind chill).

This is my helmet

erkoehler
11-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Slow...I don't think so

Rough Riding....I don't think so

I am ashamed to say that I did own a Cat for a short time, but the REV platform is far and away the best sled on the market (for my riding style anyways) I am 6'4" and can comfortably ride standing up which helps in the really rough stuff. I had a 2002 MXZ 700 Adrenaline and after buying the REV it felt so weird to ride. I put 1.2 miles on it last Winter and sold it this Fall.

Back on topic.....Do NOT be afraid of MX style helmets being cold. With a proper breath box and balaclava I have ridden comfortably with the air temps at -25F (not the wind chill).

This is my helmet

What are you riding this season?

stump
11-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Just my second two cents, but in the MX vs. full face debate (which is endless) it all comes down to PROPER FIT. Last year, I dropped 400+ on my TXi set-up (w/elec. shield) after trying on a few diff. combinations. I had been leaning towards a MX style due to the light weight and flexibility, but finding a goggle/helmet combo. to fit me proved impossible. Thus, I chose the TXi as it is quite light and comes with a "brim", which most full face jobbies don't. (and it does help w/sun glare) After listening to my riding pals who run the MX style, it comes down to this: if your set-up (ie goggles/helmet/balaclava/nose cup) doesn't fit extremely well while providing an excellent seal around the eyes/nose, you WILL be cold! BTW, it's quite cold where I live, and as far as riding style, we're quite aggressive. We also ride in all types of weather conditions. Hope this helps.... I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I've just been through this already, and our conditions here are a true test.

Datdude
11-02-2005, 03:36 PM
What are you riding this season?

I currently have just a 2004 Renegade X 800. I am looking to get a 2006 Rev 440 for the powerlines up in Mighigan. I had a 2003 Rev 440 and it was a great sled to beat on. :)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Well this subject could be beat to death. I'll switch to an MX style when one of my current set ups lets me down.
I would rather not take a chance on frost bite on my face.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
I currently have just a 2004 Renegade X 800. I am looking to get a 2006 Rev 440 for the powerlines up in Mighigan. I had a 2003 Rev 440 and it was a great sled to beat on. :)
Assuming you bought the '04 Ren. new. Why in the world would you not get the MachZ? You could not have been off the price that much.

erkoehler
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM
WFT,

Anybody you ride with have a new Yamaha 4-stroke? I want to know if they are really all that they are cracked up to be.

Datdude
11-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Assuming you bought the '04 Ren. new. Why in the world would you not get the MachZ? You could not have been off the price that much.

The Mach Z came out as a 2005 model, and I bought the Gade in 2004. The Mach Z does not really fit my riding style, and the 800ho has more than enough juice for me.. We spend most of our time riding the powerlines and boondocking in the U.P. so the longer track(136") works well. My buddy had a 2005 Mach Z and it was fun if you spend all of your time lake racing(LAME). It is fun to go 110 mph for a while, but I would rather pick a line through tight trees up a hill in waist deep snow and try not getting stuck. Even trail riding is getting boring for me as of late. The new 1000cc Renegade is a cool looking sled and my dealer friend has one as his demo so I am sure I will spend some time on it this Winter, but I still don't see where I need a 1000. I am actually trying to downgrade to a 440 again. They are so light and just a blast to ride

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 09:28 AM
WFT,

Anybody you ride with have a new Yamaha 4-stroke? I want to know if they are really all that they are cracked up to be.
In the group I hang out the most with, There are 2 RX1's, 1 Warrior, 1 Vector, and 2 Attaks. So yes there are a few.
I'd say they are ok. I have no idea what the attaks will do. We'll soon see. But the rx1's, I suppose it depends on the rider. They handle well in the trails. We could not get them on the drag strip last year, not even against the Viper. So I could not tell you there.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-03-2005, 09:33 AM
It looks to me as if everytime a sled subject comes up of any sort, we TJ the heck out of it.

I'll start a Sled thread, and we can discuss this stuff there.

Should I name it Neverending SLEDJACK???

Now back to helmets.........

Thrall
11-03-2005, 12:21 PM
WFT,

Haven't seen any of the Apex machines out, but have ridden w/ a couple RX-1's and a TRX once.
My piped 800 RMK handed a RX-1 MTN his a$$ in a straight drag race, and it was a 40 deg day where I couldn't ride 1/2 mi w/o putting the scratchers down.
Turbo, though, look out! The TRX I ran w/ was mild boost 8-9 psi I believe. He said it was pushing close to 200 hp and I believe it. The TRX was carrying 60-65mph trackspeed where I was gettin 40-45mph tops.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Apex if I had the money to spend. Especially for back east ridin.

JohnnyB
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Have had full face helmets with electric shields for 15 years. I've gotten tired of dealing with the cord....went to an MX style with goggles and will NEVER go back. I've kept my full face with electric shield in tow for cold days. However, I've ridden in -15 to -20F in the MX this year and it is plenty warm....these cold days have included extensive stretches flat out on rail grades.

Buy an MX helmet, and buy a good pair of goggles with a nose cup and shielding to get a good fit in the open face (fill the gaps between the open face and goggles) and wear a clava.

bigmac
02-26-2009, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Apex if I had the money to spend. Especially for back east ridin.

Wow! Old thread.

I have about 1500 miles on my 2007 Apex GT. My god, what a beast. It is very, very fast and very, very smooth. The suspension is excellent. I run the stock spring, the electric Ohlin is a kick - cruisin' down the trail continually adjusting the damping. Great trail sled. Get something else if you're looking at the deep stuff - it is NOT a powder machine.

gregte
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I own a Ski-Doo and Polaris Dealership that sells 200+ helmets a year. We sell Brp,Polaris, Z1-R, HJC, AFX,and Fulmer helmets. The BRP Bv2S is hands down the best snowmobile helmet ever made but most expensive. The moto style is ok but warmth is an issue, if you're running 100+ forget it, for snow-cross it's fine.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2009, 10:35 PM
I'll second the nix to the sno-cross helmet over 100 mph. Great on the trail, but if you jump on a rail-bed, or get ripping across a lake and catch a cross wind or lift or turn your head ....get ready for a little whiplash. I love every other aspect of the improved visability and better ventilation. And with a good pair of goggles you never have any fogging issues.

YooperScott
02-27-2009, 08:06 AM
I went to an MX style helmet and with breath deflector and good goggle fit I will NEVER use a full face again. I don't care what the temperature is......Granted if it's cold enough I will likely sit inside and drink instead.

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

bigmac
02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
I have contemplated switching to an MX-style helmet for snowmobiling -- I actually have a few that I use for dirt bikes and quads, but the BV2S is so comfortable and so warm, that I just don't see any reason to switch.

rsykes
02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
on warmer days i use a FOX mx with Thor goggles & on the cold days i have a new GMAX with heated visor

Datdude
03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I went to an MX style helmet and with breath deflector and good goggle fit I will NEVER use a full face again. I don't care what the temperature is......Granted if it's cold enough I will likely sit inside and drink instead.

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

The MX style really works well off-trail where speeds are slower and you can shed layers. Sunday morning we left the trailer at +1F and made our way to the woods. After about an hour the balaclava was wet from sweat so I took it off. I kept the breath box in and was very comfortable. Being able to remove the breath box is a nice feature on those warmer days.

When are we going to line up the Summit and M8?:confused::cool:

YooperScott
03-03-2009, 11:08 AM
The MX style really works well off-trail where speeds are slower and you can shed layers. Sunday morning we left the trailer at +1F and made our way to the woods. After about an hour the balaclava was wet from sweat so I took it off. I kept the breath box in and was very comfortable. Being able to remove the breath box is a nice feature on those warmer days.

When are we going to line up the Summit and M8?:confused::cool:

Anytime. :)

I just spent last weekend in the Yoop on my '08 M8 and the weekend before in the Big Horns (Wyoming) on an '09 154" Summit. In short I liked them both. To me the M feels more maneuverable. The seated position is better on the Summit. Both need the bars a little higher for me (I have the '09 telescoping bars on order to fix that) and the M seat is too low for sure (will get a Boss highrise seat before next season). With those changes I think I will like the M better overall. Stock for stock without being able to change anything I would probably have to pick the Summit but with the proper changes I think the M will suit me better. For what little trail riding I do (I wind up doing more in the Yoop just to get out of town without trailering and so on) the Summit suspension felt better there but the M seems to turn better to me. I would happily ride either but I do think the M would have been "easier" to ride out west on all the sidehilling and such that the guys I went with do. I believe the Summit has a sway bar and if that was taken off it may have been better than it was but for the lightweight sled that it is, it actually "felt" heavier to me than the M.

I am sad because the next couple weekends are out for sure so likely I am done for this season. The highlight was definitely riding out west though. I went with some guys that live in Montana and have ridden the Big Horns for 20 years+ and really knew their way around so it was really fun.

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

Itsme
03-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Open face all day long - unless the temps go -0