PDA

View Full Version : 09 X15 Ballast Pump Issue

treiter
02-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Started through my list of things to fix from last season. On that list is the port ballast pump. When filling it will sometimes kick out and the switch will flash. A quick reversal and it will fill again but shortly after trip again. This will go on until filled. Last winter I replaced all the impellers with new green ones. Suggestions on where to start looking? I was thinking I should remove the impeller and turn it on to see if it will time out. Emptying is no problem. Bearing? But why one direction only?

Aric'sX15
02-04-2014, 12:23 AM
do you remember the flashing interval on the switch?

treiter
02-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Believe it was a constant rapid flash. It happens way before the timer should finish.

Aric'sX15
02-04-2014, 11:39 AM
This used to happen to me also. Is it happening just at idle or also when you're driving?

treiter
02-04-2014, 12:03 PM
When at idling at high rpm while filling.

Aric'sX15
02-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Hmm.. rules out the voltage issue. My ballast impellers were fine but the center part was stripped out causing it to spin and then stop, have you pulled them and inspected the impellers?

treiter
02-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Just installed last year but I will definitely be pulling them and having a look. It's weird no breaker trip or anything. Might have to call Jason at Wakemakers for help.

potsie
02-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Switch port to starboard and that can rule out the motor or confirm pump motor

blackhawk
02-04-2014, 05:44 PM
treiter - Swap them like Postie mentions. If it does follow the motor, it is odd that you would only see a problem in one direction. Only two things that I could think of, if it is the motor. 1) flat on the impeller has gotten stripped where it only catches in one direction 2) could have a bad motor brush that is hanging up in one direction only.

treiter
02-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys. Now that I think about it those pumps are still factory upside down. I'll swap them and fix the orientation while I'm at it.

tr6coug
02-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Take a look and make sure you don't have any kinks or blockages in the tubing from the hull fitting to the pump. The Jabsco "intelligent timer" will shut-off the pump if it senses a blockage in the tube. See the jabsco guide attached. There is a flow chart / troubleshooting guide. If that's not it you might just be running into the general unreliability of the timer modules. There is a fix for that in this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50038).

treiter
04-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Had a chance to look at pumps. Impellers are still good. Having trouble telling timer setting as it doesn't seem to want to enter program mode in 5 sequences all the time. I think my timers are good. tr6coug can you please PM price for re-program. Not sure I'll do it this year but let's see. The port motor does sound rougher than the stbd. Maybe the windings or bearing are the issue? Can the motors be rebuilt rather than buying a whole new pump? I do need to flip them around as they are mounted motor down.

treiter
04-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Got timer to set finally so it is maxed out. Must be a motor going bad. Can they be rebuilt?

ap77
04-19-2014, 05:38 PM
This issue occurs occasionally on our 2009 X2. To fix, I have to fully drain the ballast (lights flashing empty) before it will fill properly without timing out early.

blackhawk
04-19-2014, 08:57 PM
treiter - Yes, the pumps can be rebuilt in most cases. I should have the parts you need, just click on my website link in my signature. Here is a good thread with pictures on how to take the pumps apart.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42810