PDA

View Full Version : Anyone driving a Mercedes GL?

skitilldark
02-03-2014, 08:12 AM
I am trying to put the MC raised letter decal from the back of an X10 on the rear window of my GL, but because the letters are raised, I need to get a shorter wiper arm so the wiper will clear the letters. The current one is 13" and I need something around 8-9". Anyone replaced the rear wiper arm on a GL by chance?

Dynamite Spike
02-03-2014, 10:04 AM
I work at the Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa. I'll check what we have that may work. Maybe the wiper arm from a GLK.

skitilldark
02-03-2014, 02:25 PM
I work at the Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa. I'll check what we have that may work. Maybe the wiper arm from a GLK.

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Dynamite Spike
02-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Sorry, didn't get to it today....crazy amount if stuff going on. I'll try to get to it in the morning

Aric'sX15
02-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Have you tried putting a smaller wiper blade on it?

skitilldark
02-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Have you tried putting a smaller wiper blade on it?

I have had trouble finding anything locally smaller than what I have...maybe an inch(12"), but I need at least 4 inches to clear the letters. I found some 8's and 10's online, but I was afraid to order online because I don't know if the blades would clip onto the arm(the mounting looks different than the two "generic" wiper clip mounts I've seen). I was just thinking maybe if I could just find the whole arm, surely I can just slide that over the little gear. Although I don't even know what size the little gear is. I'm assuming that would be more standard?

Dynamite Spike
02-04-2014, 01:00 PM
I looked at the specs for the GLK wiper arm. It appears to be longer than that from the GL. I didn't expect that. I'll take a look at the arm from the A-Class....the only problem is that that car is not sold in the states

skitilldark
02-04-2014, 05:26 PM
I looked at the specs for the GLK wiper arm. It appears to be longer than that from the GL. I didn't expect that. I'll take a look at the arm from the A-Class....the only problem is that that car is not sold in the states

Do you know the diameter of the gear stud? I am assuming it is in millimeters? Thanks

skitilldark
02-04-2014, 05:32 PM
There is a wrist type universal arm that fits a quarter inch shaft that uses 8-10"blades You think that would fit?

mzimme
02-17-2014, 09:10 PM
I'll say the obvious here.... but how bout a flush sticker instead?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

skitilldark
02-17-2014, 09:30 PM
I'll say the obvious here.... but how bout a flush sticker instead?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Just couldn't resist the dimensional chrome. Hey, its worth not using the rear wiper if I have to!

h2oskifreak
02-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Nice plate.

Stefan
02-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Just couldn't resist the dimensional chrome. Hey, its worth not using the rear wiper if I have to!

What do you need a rear wiper for anyways, don't you have outside mirrors, drive like a man ;) Do you have Parktronic (PTS) (not so common in North America) and or a rear camera?

...personally I hate the shape the rear wiper leaves on a dirty rear window anyways, rather prefer a completely dirty window instead, I even reprogrammed my Touareg the way the rear wiper doesen't go off when reversing, can't see much through a rear window of a modern SUV while reversing anyways...

Aric'sX15
02-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Shoulda bought a G wagon ;)

skitilldark
02-18-2014, 11:29 PM
What do you need a rear wiper for anyways, don't you have outside mirrors, drive like a man ;) Do you have Parktronic (PTS) (not so common in North America) and or a rear camera?

...personally I hate the shape the rear wiper leaves on a dirty rear window anyways, rather prefer a completely dirty window instead, I even reprogrammed my Touareg the way the rear wiper doesen't go off when reversing, can't see much through a rear window of a modern SUV while reversing anyways...

All right. I'm gonna man up...no more rear wiper. Pulling the fuse.

skitilldark
02-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Nice plate.

My wife came up with that. I thought it was a good idea. You'd be surprised how many people don't get it though. Thanks for the compliment.

wakecumberland
05-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Nice rig and cool plate. If it was mine if pull the "Crown" sticker off along with the "GL550" and "4matic". Keep it clean I say. It looks a little crowded with all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk