PDA

View Full Version : 89 Tristar dash needs help

Lblack36
02-01-2014, 07:28 PM
The years are starting to take their toll. The stress of bouncing on the waves have caused the penetration points of my dash to start to/completely pull through. Looking for a way to repair these. Anyone have a recommendation? I have considered laying glass down on the inside for reinforcement and I am fairly competent doing that. Just thought someone out there might have a better idea.
Thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Fiberglass in some fender washers that have been massaged to fit the curves.

atihanyi
02-01-2014, 09:57 PM
I just did the same type of repair to a 92 prostar dash . I used a 2 part plastic "bonder" epoxy and it worked great . I added addl thickness to areas that hadn't cracked yet but were probably going to . Very happy with results . Just make sure you sand the areas first with a pretty aggressive grit

Lblack36
02-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Both ideas sound workable. I may incorporate both in needed areas. Thanks for the feedback. I will post photos of the progress that I make as I go and would appreciate any feedback or constructive criticism.
Thanks

pbgbottle
02-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Yes
post pics I have my dash out right now also. Cleaning up the gauges
I too have some screws pulling through. Would love to see what u do. What is the dash made out of mines starting to feel brittle and has tons of micro cracks starting to form
Around mounting holes and cracking between the tac and speedo

Cheers.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Yes
post pics I have my dash out right now also. Cleaning up the gauges
I too have some screws pulling through. Would love to see what u do. What is the dash made out of mines starting to feel brittle and has tons of micro cracks starting to form
Around mounting holes and cracking between the tac and speedo

Cheers.

The dash panel for a tristar is vinyl wrapped fiberglass shell.

pbgbottle
02-10-2014, 11:40 AM
really ? mine doesn't really look like fiberglass it is like a molded plastic

The dash panel for a tristar is vinyl wrapped fiberglass shell.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-10-2014, 01:35 PM
really ? mine doesn't really look like fiberglass it is like a molded plastic

105991, hmm mine 'looked' like fiberglass when I replaced my gauges about 4 years ago, but I didn't really examine the material but I did use fiberglass resin in some fender washers to prevent the cracking.

Lblack36
02-10-2014, 09:38 PM
My dash is definitely plastic. It did have some striations that at first glance looked like strands of glass, but looking at the edges I can see that there are no fibers. That is what concerns me about using fiberglass. Never tried bonding fiberglass to plastic before......

tph
02-10-2014, 09:43 PM
My dash is definitely plastic. It did have some striations that at first glance looked like strands of glass, but looking at the edges I can see that there are no fibers. That is what concerns me about using fiberglass. Never tried bonding fiberglass to plastic before......

I think it might be ABS plastic. Perhaps some plastic from pipe fittings and ABS glue might work.

mikeg205
02-10-2014, 09:45 PM
most of my knurled nuts have become loose in my dash so I reglued them in...

Lblack36
02-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Spent a few minutes looking for anything stamped on the plastic to get some idea but never found anything....I am up for trying anything but hate to waste time and money to just have to re-do it again.....