PDA

View Full Version : Hurth Tranny problem in 96 205

Cariboo
10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I have a 96 Prostar 205 with a Hurth Transmission. When I bought the boat this summer, the previous owner said that the transmission seal needed to be replaced. My local dealer said that the rear seal replacement would cost about $600. Based on what I paid for the boat and the condition it was in, I was OK with paying $600 to replace the seal.

After dropping the boat off this afternoon to get the repair done, the dealer called back and said that when they called to get the needed parts, Hurth told them that they would be better off to send the whole transmission in to repair the seal. Apparently the seal is on the shaft and is not the same type of seal as the Borg-Warner transmission.

The dealer said the repair would cost around $950 plus freight. For that price I would be better off to buy a new Borg-warner and replace the Hurth.

Has anyone else had this same sort of experience with their Hurth?

Would I be better served to buy a Borg-Warner? By the way, the engine and tranny only have 212 total hours.

Thanks!

JDK
10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
That sounds like a huge amount of money for a transmission re-seal.
I'd be looking for another quote from another (nessissarliy boat) repair shop.

Footin
10-31-2005, 05:43 PM
You can buy a new one for $1,250.00 from Skidim.com

I would be leary of changing to a Velvet drive, is the shaft the same, are the mounts in the same place, does everything else line up?????

JDK
10-31-2005, 07:30 PM
I would be leary of changing to a Velvet drive, is the shaft the same, are the mounts in the same place, does everything else line up?????

... this too.

Cloaked
10-31-2005, 07:57 PM
1) Be patient
2) Look into a swap to the BW tranny. Your boat is barely broke in and the BW will indeed serve you well IF...
3) ...IF you do some easy research (with a few phone calls or from info here) and see if the shaft is the same dia as footin Mike said and he also mentioned the mounting placement. Ask BW their opinion as well and they may very well be a valuable resource for the decision.

The folks at Discount Inboard Marine (See the SKIDIM link above) are very knowledgeable as well and they welcome technical questions.
The seal replacement is expensive by that quote at $600, the $950 is more expensive as an "easy for the technician fail-safe method" of your satisfaction by you accepting all of the risk of said satisfaction through your wallet.

If I were going to drop $950 in a Hurth, I'd drop $1250 in a new BW tranny.

I have no sound basis for suggesting this except that it's a 2 cent opinion. I have never had a BW to fail me yet.

Good luck in any manner.

Bruce Carr
11-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Is the seal available at Discount Inboard Marine or elsewhwre? If so, get the seal and take that bad boy apart and put a new seal in it.