PDA

View Full Version : OH NO TV won't work!!!!

lakes Rick
10-31-2005, 12:13 PM
I knew it was coming... 45" Mitsubishi rear projection will not turn on.. Heck its only 12 years old.... Makes a click, click sound, like a circuit breaker turning off.. Should I start looking for a new TV???

milkmania
10-31-2005, 12:18 PM
well, 12 is kinda old as far as electronics go....

but, it hurts just the same:(

stevo137
10-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Dude, it's time to go spring for a new plasma screen. ;)

east tx skier
10-31-2005, 12:34 PM
Rick, after about 5 years of faithful service, my Mitsu 55" t-wide just went black on the screen. Problem was that the coolant had leaked onto the circuit board. Tech came to the house, cleaned the circuit board, and installed a plastic drip pan. Ran me about $100 and some change and I was up and running again.

Fairly common on mitsu tvs he said. Don't know if yours is running coolant. Mine is a newer HDTV compatible model, but it is still a rear projection mitsubishi FWIW.

AirJunky
10-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Those Mitsubishi rear projections suck. I have a 3 yr old one too, same problem. Dealer tells me it's very common & $400 - $500 to fix it.

RickDV
10-31-2005, 12:37 PM
I knew it was coming... 45" Mitsubishi rear projection will not turn on.. Heck its only 12 years old.... Makes a click, click sound, like a circuit breaker turning off.. Should I start looking for a new TV???

All depends on if you are looking for an excuse to replace it. Maybe it can be repaired? May be worth looking into.

On the other hand, at 12 years old it doesn't owe you a thing and you may not want to put any money into it.

east tx skier
10-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Those Mitsubishi rear projections suck. I have a 3 yr old one too, same problem. Dealer tells me it's very common & $400 - $500 to fix it.

I wouldn't say it sucks. I wasn't pleased about the leak, but I've since forgotten the pain of parting with the money to fix it. When I'm sitting in front of it with the lights low and the volume cranked, I'm grinning from ear to ear.

lakes Rick
11-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Local place will give me an estimate for $10 if I haul it there.. He said you never know if its worth repairing or not..

At 12 years old its paid for itself..

I have a friend who works at "video only" and he said JVC has the newest and brightest pic ( DLP or whatever it is).. 62" for $3300

Plasma's are too expensive and from what I have read about them not very long lasting or perfected yet.......

The 15" TUBE TV is doing it best right now... ITS only about 25 years old.......

stevo137
11-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Local place will give me an estimate for $10 if I haul it there.. He said you never know if its worth repairing or not..

At 12 years old its paid for itself..

I have a friend who works at "video only" and he said JVC has the newest and brightest pic ( DLP or whatever it is).. 62" for $3300

Plasma's are too expensive and from what I have read about them not very long lasting or perfected yet.......

The 15" TUBE TV is doing it best right now... ITS only about 25 years old.......
Rick, whatever you do, make sure when looking at new sets that you ask them to show you the picture in analog. Most stores are showing you the sets in digital HD. Some look better than others in analog.
There will be many times when you will be watching in analog until everything goes digital... :twocents:

OhioProstar
11-01-2005, 11:08 AM

I have the 52" version of the JVC HD-ILA and LOVE it. It has better detail than the Sony Wega and brighter than the Samsung DLP...You will be VERY impressed when you see it hooked up to HD or a DVD. Plus if you need to replace the projector you can access it like a light bulb.

east tx skier
11-01-2005, 11:10 AM

LCD is supposed to be where it's at. Vast improvements in picture quality over the last few years.

Tom023
11-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Last year my 11 year old Sony rear projection wouldn't turn on either. Rather than a $300 minimum house call, I trashed it and got a 62" Mitsubishi HD DLP. Can't figure out why I waited so long. Get a new one.

Ric
11-01-2005, 11:42 AM
I have the 52" version of the JVC HD-ILA and LOVE it. It has better detail than the Sony Wega and brighter than the Samsung DLP...You will be VERY impressed when you see it hooked up to HD or a DVD. Plus if you need to replace the projector you can access it like a light bulb.
What is ILA? What is DLP?
:confused:

mgurley
11-01-2005, 11:46 AM
I have the 52" Toshiba DLP been a great set so far.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-o7Qc1OYCVOM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=147350&id=essential_info&i=05252HMX95#Tab

mgurley
11-01-2005, 11:48 AM
What is ILA? What is DLP?
:confused:

Digital Light Processing (DLP) it is a technology that was developed by Texas instruments using a rear projection type monitor with a projection bulb and a color wheel.

Best Technology out there IMO.

DILA is just JVC's version of DLP.

stevo137
11-01-2005, 07:18 PM
LCD is supposed to be where it's at. Vast improvements in picture quality over the last few years.
I agree with The Doug man. LCD's whether rear projection or flat and Plasma's seem to have the best clarity. The DLP's are brighter and look great in digital but not as good in analog. Again, almost anything out there looks good in 1080i but how does it look in analog?
Take some time and really compare, it will still some time before everything is broadcast in digital.
There is one more element that we haven't discussed, are you running cable or satellite?
Satellite is clearer...

AirJunky
11-01-2005, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't say it sucks. I wasn't pleased about the leak, but I've since forgotten the pain of parting with the money to fix it. When I'm sitting in front of it with the lights low and the volume cranked, I'm grinning from ear to ear.
After talking with the dealer & seeing the backlog of Mitsubishis he's got to fix, I thought they sucked. The Panasonic 42" plasma we bought to replace it looks 1000% better. Time will tell if it lives longer than the 3 yrs the Mitsubishi lasted.
Meanwhile, the Mitsubishi is for sale. $100 & it's yours.

lakes Rick
11-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I agree with The Doug man. LCD's whether rear projection or flat and Plasma's seem to have the best clarity. The DLP's are brighter and look great in digital but not as good in analog. Again, almost anything out there looks good in 1080i but how does it look in analog?
Take some time and really compare, it will still some time before everything is broadcast in digital.
There is one more element that we haven't discussed, are you running cable or satellite?
Satellite is clearer...

Satellite, only the best for the batchelor pad..... Us 50 year old guys don't have anybody else to do anyway.....

Who has the "imo" technology and what is it?? Thanks everyone

lakes Rick
11-01-2005, 08:11 PM

Was quoted $2300 for the 56" JVC....

Remember everyone, this cannot cut into the harley budget...

Cloaked
11-01-2005, 08:28 PM
....Meanwhile, the Mitsubishi is for sale. $100 & it's yours.Do you deliver?

bcampbe7
11-01-2005, 08:33 PM
This is the one I have. Nothing fancy, but works great. Bought it from Sears about 1.5 years ago with a 3 year extended warranty. Sears comes out once a year to clean the guts and make any adjustments that may need to be made.
Been pleased with it thus far.

53" Panasonic (http://www.fotoconnection.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=14866&RefTag=froogle)

The sound is not the best, but I run mine through my surround sound anyways so it is no big deal to me.

And it won't cut into your Harley budget too bad. :cool:

mitch
11-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Digital Light Processing (DLP) it is a technology that was developed by Texas instruments using a rear projection type monitor with a projection bulb and a color wheel.

Best Technology out there IMO.

DILA is just JVC's version of DLP.

DLP rocks! I have a Hitachi 55" and love it

stevo137
11-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Was quoted $2300 for the 56" JVC....

Remember everyone, this cannot cut into the harley budget...
You can get a 42" plasma for that range. A friend of mine just set up a Dell 42" plasma and loves it.
42" is a bit small for my room so I went with a 65" Hitachi Ultravision.
One nice thing about the DLP's and Plasma's is the overall size and weight difference. I haven't been shopping but it sounds like a good deal on that JVC.
$20,000 for a 65" plasma and it doesn't look much better than my 65" projection when in digital.
Dude, it's your money, I'm sure that all of us could easily spend it for you!

Leroy
11-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Save your money and buy another PC! :D

I like the DLP's and that is what Thomson/RCA offers. We are finding that the market says rear project is a great value and Plasma/LCD/DLP is not worth it to a lot of people. You can get a nice rear project for ~$1k. The stores do have material to make you go wow, but at home you will be hard pressed to notice the difference. If it cost $500 to repair you still have a 12 year old TV. For $1k you can have a new rear projection. The tubes loose 50-75% of light output if you have had it on very much. You won't notice that either until you set a new TV beside it and it looks very dim!

east tx skier
11-02-2005, 11:08 AM
After talking with the dealer & seeing the backlog of Mitsubishis he's got to fix, I thought they sucked. The Panasonic 42" plasma we bought to replace it looks 1000% better. Time will tell if it lives longer than the 3 yrs the Mitsubishi lasted.
Meanwhile, the Mitsubishi is for sale. $100 & it's yours.

Well, I'd feel the same were I in your shoes. As it goes, my mitsu was up and running for $100 and still has a crystal clear picture. Getting it up the u-turn stairs was a nightmare, so I'm either going to have to sell it with the house if we ever move, or throw it out the window.

zberger
11-02-2005, 12:28 PM
If I was going to be spending money, and had HDTV at home..

I would probably either get a LCD of some sort.. or probably a Mitsu 1080p DLP.. they are HOTTTTTTTTT

stevo137
11-02-2005, 03:04 PM
I checked out the JVC HD-ILA 1080i silicone screen (JVC does not make a DLP) and they look very good in digital. Definitely better than DLP. Sony also makes one in 1080p which is brighter and clearer than the JVC.
I liked the HD-ILA better than the LCD's that I have seen but still give the edge to the plasmas. I'm certainly no expert but if I were shopping now, I would go with the Sony 60" 1080p D-ILA (Direct drive image light amplifier). The 1080p Sony has an edge over the 1080i JVC but both look very nice. I'm still happy with my 65" Ultravision but will definitely be ready to change in a 2-3 years. The plasmas are quickly becoming more affordable, still too much for 60" range. My :twocents: for whatever it's worth... Now, you wanna' talk sound systems? ;)

OhioProstar
11-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Either way you go check out the D-ILA technology before buying a DLP or LCD.

stevo137
11-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Either way you go check out the D-ILA technology before buying a DLP or LCD.
OP, how does yours look in analog?

Leroy
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Too bad you are not closer Rick. We are having a scratch and dent sale. Prices still seem high to me, but then again I've never bought a TV.

No specific model list or price sheet will be available prior to the sale; the majority of models are: high-definition CRT projection televisions in 52-, 56-, and 61-inch screen sizes priced from $350 to $550; high-definition DLP (digital light processing) televisions in 44-, 50-, and 61-inch screen sizes priced from $500 to $900; non-high-definition direct-view televisions in 13-32-inch screen sizes priced from $50 to $100.

lakes Rick
11-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Leroy, those seem like absurdly low prices...... With gas, Indiana is still too far from Oregon for a road trip.. Unless it was on a harley for a year long road trip..

As one buddy said " They will all only last around 10 years, so get the one you like"...... I think he has a point.....

On the flip side, getting used to the little TV.. Maybe spend more time on the Vert for next summer.....

bcampbe7
11-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Too bad you are not closer Rick. We are having a scratch and dent sale. Prices still seem high to me, but then again I've never bought a TV.

No specific model list or price sheet will be available prior to the sale; the majority of models are: high-definition CRT projection televisions in 52-, 56-, and 61-inch screen sizes priced from $350 to $550; high-definition DLP (digital light processing) televisions in 44-, 50-, and 61-inch screen sizes priced from $500 to $900; non-high-definition direct-view televisions in 13-32-inch screen sizes priced from $50 to $100.

Ah Leroy, I would come up for that sale!
What time should I get to your house? :D

Mag_Red
11-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Ah Leroy, I would come up for that sale!Leroy......any deals on 26" LCD flat panels?? I'm thinking of getting one for the houseboat.

stevo137
11-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Leroy......any deals on 26" LCD flat panels?? I'm thinking of getting one for the houseboat.
Mag, will the new renovations and the LCD increase the rent? :D

Mag_Red
11-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Mag, will the new renovations and the LCD increase the rent? :DNot one dime........need to stay competitive :uglyhamme BTW......going to be in the high 70's this week-end ;)

Cloaked
11-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Not one dime........need to stay competitive :uglyhamme BTW......going to be in the high 70's this week-end ;)Skiing here this weekend if the rain stays away.

OhioProstar
11-03-2005, 08:49 AM
OP, how does yours look in analog?
It looks alright on standard cable channels like OLN with the tv set to Panaroma. Of course HD channels are awesome.

Leroy
11-03-2005, 09:04 AM
We really don't have LCD's, but a small DLP would look great! If I see one want me to call you?

Leroy......any deals on 26" LCD flat panels?? I'm thinking of getting one for the houseboat.

Leroy
11-03-2005, 09:06 AM
I've supplied many friends! I just have to warn you these have been to trade shows, displays, etc. They are not the one's that come from safety testing (normally bring it close to death) and you do not want!

Ah Leroy, I would come up for that sale!
What time should I get to your house? :D

stevo137
11-03-2005, 09:13 AM
It looks alright on standard cable channels like OLN with the tv set to Panaroma. Of course HD channels are awesome.
That's typical of most of them. I was really impressed with the picture on the JVC and Sony HD-ILA's. They looked very good at all angles even up close and didn't have glare. It won't be long before everything is digital. My best picture is when the Chicago stations broadcast in HD. They are running all of the standard channels in digital but not always in 1080i. I bought a receiver and use a dual antenna in my attic. It works great and is a good back up if I loose my satellite signal which can happen during a heavy rain...