PDA

View Full Version : How's the new camera Doug?

Farmer Ted
10-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Did you end up getting it from the first place or somewhere else?
Let's see some shots!~

east tx skier
10-30-2005, 10:28 PM
It's amazing. Ended up getting it from Amazon. The cheap place was a hose job. Called and they started saying that it wouldn't come with a battery, then that it wouldn't ship for a week and a half, etc. Cancelled the order. Ended up going with the kit and all total, it was only $100 more with Amazon. Pictures are incredible quality. Menu is easy to navigate. And all my lenses are interchangeable. Due to the increased magnification factor though, the digital wide angle is recommended if you like to take wide shots. No action shots yet, but here's Cameron in his Halloween costume (downsized a lot of course).

6ballsisall
10-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Great pic Doug!! Which camera did you buy?

east tx skier
10-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Minolta Maxxum 5D with 18--70mm lens. 6.1 mp digital slr.

Farmer Ted
10-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Looks good! I'm going to put the word out for some Amazon gift certificates to see if I can't subsidize the purchase....

6ballsisall
10-30-2005, 10:50 PM

Thats a mouthful! :eek:

MarkP
10-30-2005, 11:04 PM
I read a little on that camera (before it came out) I think.. Is that the camera with the image stabilization built into the camera body and not the lens? My regular camera is an Minolta and I have a lot of lenses for it that I would hate to waste by buying an other brand.. (when I do buy an SLR digital)

east tx skier
10-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Exactly, Mark. Same reason for me. All the Maxxum lenses are compatable. Yes, image stabilization in the body (first company to do this I believe).

The magnification is 1.5x though. So multiply all your lense #s by 1.5 to see what it'd be if you were using it on a 35 mm. This is why I opted to get the kit with the 18-70mm lense. My wide angle lense was a 35-70mm, which works, but doesn't get very wide on the digital.

The other option is the 7D (9D to come out soon, too). Same features, just more external buttons, heavier, and has a larger image cache. So instead of 3 fps for 10 seconds, it's like 9 fps for 10 seconds. 3 was enough for me.

bigmac
10-31-2005, 01:20 PM
The magnification is 1.5x though. So multiply all your lense #s by 1.5 to see what it'd be if you were using it on a 35 mm. This is why I opted to get the kit with the 18-70mm lense. My wide angle lense was a 35-70mm, which works, but doesn't get very wide on the digital.

The other option is the 7D (9D to come out soon, too). Same features, just more external buttons, heavier, and has a larger image cache. So instead of 3 fps for 10 seconds, it's like 9 fps for 10 seconds. 3 was enough for me.

Small clarification...all of the Maxxum dSLRs will only shoot continuously at 3 frames per second. The difference is in the buffer size - how many shots the camera can take continuously before it has to write to the memory card. The 5D will store 5 shots, the 7D will store 9 shots.

At this point, the 9D is still rumor. Konica-Minolta has a revenue problem (Konica rescued Minolta from bankruptcy), but if they DO bring it out (odds are that they will) the hints are that the 9D is a shot at the pro-level. They're talking the last-generation Sony 10 megapixel sensor, along with faster autofocus.

Lens magnification on dSLRs is kind of a misnomer. It is actually a crop factor where the image sensor "crops" the center out of the lens's image circle. This is because a sensor the size of a 35mm frame (for which the lens is designed) is very expensive, so by using a smaller sensor the costs can be kept down. Nevertheless, the end result is as Doug suggests, a 20mm wide-angle lens will give the same angle-of-view as a 30mm lens on the final image.

east tx skier
10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info BigMac. According to the manual, the best I'm going to do with the 5D is 10 seconds on the buffer (but I could have read that wrong and it sounds like I may have). I haven't tried more than 3 though. I got a good deal on an 80x Lexar card, but I don't believe that Minolta is compatible though. So I might not see any benefit from that as far as write speed acceleration goes. Beat deals on comparable sized 1gig cards no matter what, so it was worth a shot. So far, I've been really pleased with the camera.

I'll give it a test run on shots holding it down.

bigmac
10-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info BigMac. According to the manual, the best I'm going to do with the 5D is 10 seconds on the buffer (but I could have read that wrong and it sounds like I may have). I haven't tried more than 3 though. I got a good deal on an 80x Lexar card, but I don't believe that Minolta is compatible though. So I might not see any benefit from that as far as write speed acceleration goes. Beat deals on comparable sized 1gig cards no matter what, so it was worth a shot. So far, I've been really pleased with the camera.

I'll give it a test run on shots holding it down.The write speed to the buffer is dependant both on the speed of the camera's bus, and the speed of the card. On my Nikon, I saw a significant jump in write speed when I went to a 40x card, but going to an 80x card got me nothing beyond what I could get with the 40x. It hasn't been a problem, since the buffer on my camera is 40 shots and I can't ever recall having to wait on a shot for the camera to finish writing. OTOH, my old Fuji S2 Pro only had an 8 shot buffer and in continuous shooting I would frequently have to stop and wait for the camera to finish writing.

Buffer size is measured in how many shots it will hold before it's full. It's important because the camera will write to the buffer much faster than it can write to the memory storage card. If there was no buffer, each shot would have to be written to the storage card before the next shot could be taken, and that would bring the frame rates way down below 3 fps. The 5D will hold about 5 shots before the buffer is full - about 1.7 seconds at 3 fps. You may be thinking of the timer delay - you can set it to wait either 2 seconds or 10 seconds to take the shot after you press the shutter button.

east tx skier
10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Okay, you're right on. Just read the manual. The delay timer is not what I"m thinking of though. Could it be that you get more in "fine" image mode?

The max 5 images in buffer is in raw or raw + jpeg mode.

bigmac
11-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Okay, you're right on. Just read the manual. The delay timer is not what I"m thinking of though. Could it be that you get more in "fine" image mode?

The max 5 images in buffer is in raw or raw + jpeg mode.Yes, the smaller the image file, the more images will fit into the buffer. "Fine JPEG's" are smaller than RAW files.

east tx skier
11-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I've still got it set at mongo.