PDA

View Full Version : Project Prostar

PineLakeRumble
01-17-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm looking for a boat that I could work on as a project and either break even or make a little money for my efforts. Like many of you I really enjoy working on my own boat/car/bike etc. What are some things to look for when taking on a project? Are there certain generations to stay away from? Are there certain options/colours issues that are make it or break it with a 190? How important is the condition of the trailer? Any help with this venture would be appreciated. I'm interested in anything from 84-94.

For instance, what would you pay for something like this...

http://saultstemarie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1988-MasterCraft-ProStar-190-Ski-Wakeboard-Boat-W0QQAdIdZ509208788

atihanyi
01-17-2014, 11:42 PM
I'd look for 83 on up as those have no wood

lukedeuce
01-17-2014, 11:52 PM
I'd look for 83 on up as those have no wood

83 1/2 on up have no wood. wood stringers the first part of 83, fiber glass the latter

jk13
01-18-2014, 12:11 AM
'84 to '86 are now classics. May be found cheaper from an under informed seller and sold for decent money if you put in the work.
'87 to '90 like pictured are the least sought after of the three body styles in this range (no offense to anyone with those years--strictly talking resale).
'91 to '94 are still regarded as one of the best wakes ever.

The boat you listed actually has a fair asking price. While it does need minor gel coat work the interior looks pretty good. No engine pics to judge. Around here if you could talk them down to 5.5-6k you'd be doing pretty well if the engine bay looks decent. When finished it could fetch around 8-9k maybe at the right time of year.

Trailer paint, probably brakes and actuator (maybe tires too), cut and polish the gel coat, new correct graphics, any engine repair or maintenance, etc. That one looks to be a break even or slim profit at best. Better off as someone's first boat or first inboard. Daily use in current condition and clean it up slowly. Little bit too nice overall already to come out ahead on it.

PineLakeRumble
01-18-2014, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback jk13. In your opinion do you think an 84-86 is more valuable during resale than an 87-90, or are there more buyers interested in the older style? As an owner of an 86 myself I just figured that I was in a very biased minority for my preference.
Also, when a slalom boat ends up with a tower on it, like the 88 in question, would you remove the tower and try and bring it back to stock or would you leave that decision for someone else?

AlbertaSurfer
01-18-2014, 01:55 AM
This is exactly what I'm looking for too. Once my garage is built, I want a 84 S&S.

But why go back to stock when you can go full custom? Did you see that one in the Prostar unveil thread? Un. Real.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about going stupid, but something classy and modern is awesome on those mid 80's hulls.

PineLakeRumble
01-18-2014, 03:10 AM
No question, the black S&S is awesome. So many clever details. If the boat is a keeper (and that boat is, I hope the engine is the marine version of a GT 500!) you are only limited by your own imagination. His imagination is on overdrive. I'll contrast that boat with all the boats that end up in the bad tower thread. No accounting for taste! When rebuilding a boat/car/bike to flip, bad custom choices can be deadly during resale. At least that's my thinking.

wheelerd
01-18-2014, 03:35 AM
Are you at Pine Lake, Alberta?

PineLakeRumble
01-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Greetings Wheelerd,

Pine Lake, Ontario (about hrs from Toronto). My only connection to Alberta at this point is Shuswap SKi and Board. Good people and service.

mikeg205
01-18-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm looking for a boat that I could work on as a project and either break even or make a little money for my efforts. Like many of you I really enjoy working on my own boat/car/bike etc. What are some things to look for when taking on a project? Are there certain generations to stay away from? Are there certain options/colours issues that are make it or break it with a 190? How important is the condition of the trailer? Any help with this venture would be appreciated. I'm interested in anything from 84-94.

For instance, what would you pay for something like this...

http://saultstemarie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1988-MasterCraft-ProStar-190-Ski-Wakeboard-Boat-W0QQAdIdZ509208788

too much money for this boat. Regarding the trailer... it's easy to spend up to a $1000 bucks to refurbish the trailer. For 8K you can 93-94's in nice shape... specially this time of year.

jk13
01-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback jk13. In your opinion do you think an 84-86 is more valuable during resale than an 87-90, or are there more buyers interested in the older style? As an owner of an 86 myself I just figured that I was in a very biased minority for my preference.
Also, when a slalom boat ends up with a tower on it, like the 88 in question, would you remove the tower and try and bring it back to stock or would you leave that decision for someone else?

As for the first question I think both body styles would sell for about the same when complete, but the older one may be purchased for less. The classics are now being picked up by older guys that already have a wake boat for the family but want the boat they lusted after as a teenager for themselves. Kinda like the Sunday muscle car in the garage.

Towers on old ski boats? I'd pull it and sell it for half what it cost new. That BigAir tower would get you $400-500 toward your overall profit pretty easily. It won't get you that much more for the boat if left on there. Parts are more expensive than packages.

Jerseydave
01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
I would use $5K as a max to spend on any year boat project.....mostly because you will put more money into it than you plan on.

Do you want to keep it a few years and then sell it? That would make sense, but if you want to flip it fast make sure you don't overpay from the start.

Something more unique would be fun, for example 93 stars and stripes, 88 platinum, 90 limited, barefoot 200, etc. Watch colors too, teal doesn't sell to everyone for example.

PineLakeRumble
01-18-2014, 02:52 PM
If the driveline looks good would you go for it if owner accepted 5k?

In my area the used boats are either way overpriced or have been horribly neglected. In the end I drove to Florida (BAWS) and back in 3.5 days to pick up my '86. As much fun as that adventure was I'm not interested in doing it again for a long time. That '88 is about 4hrs away on my side of the border. As always I appreciate your thoughts and experience.

PineLakeRumble
01-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Nice job Jerseydave. You basically answered my next question while I was typing. I knew you guys were good but...jeez! I'd flip it right away. If it went well I'd do it again.

jk13
01-18-2014, 05:09 PM
I would say yes at 5k.

FYI I put new updated graphics on my boat after wet sanding and buffing. Local sign guy, two colors, drop shadow. Sides, transom, and reg. numbers all matching for $120. Far less than dealership or even internet pricing. Keep your costs down wherever you can.

Jerseydave
01-18-2014, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=PineLakeRumble;1006918]If the driveline looks good would you go for it if owner accepted 5k?

Yes it sounds like a good buy for $5K. Polish it and flip it for $7K.
(car dealers do this all the time right?)
It doesn't appear to be much of a "project boat" if the owner is saying it runs and works fine.

As stated before these are not in demand like the older ones or the '91-'94 Prostars.

PineLakeRumble
01-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Jerseydave and jk13, thanks for your input. I appreciate your time. I'm going to contact the seller tomorrow. One way or the other I'll let you know how it plays out.

PineLakeRumble
01-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Here is a twist. If the boat does not come with the original trailer, in this case a real piece of junk (not mastercraft), how much does that reduce the value of the boat?

Bouyhead
01-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Unless the boat fits the trailer perfectly it could reduce the price significantly. If you got that boat for 5k, trailer was serviceable, and nothing was wrong with the boat but cosmetic stuff you would be doing O.K. if you broke even. I've flipped a few boats over the past 5 years and for the reasons you describe, sometimes I made a few bucks, others I broke even but always enjoyed the time spent working on the boat. Try to lowball when looking for a project boat. Remember, you WANT it but you don't NEED it. And keep very active in the local classifieds and be ready to act quick with cash, the best deals go quick. Good Luck!

Bouyhead
01-19-2014, 09:47 AM
This was the one boat I flipped that I actually put some real money in my pocket. Boat did not run and I couldn't even get it to crank to do a compression check. I had to lowball him to protect myself and had cash in hand. I actually had 4K in my pocket but already had another project at home.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47056

Jerseydave
01-19-2014, 10:25 AM
This was the one boat I flipped that I actually put some real money in my pocket. Boat did not run and I couldn't even get it to crank to do a compression check. I had to lowball him to protect myself and had cash in hand. I actually had 4K in my pocket but already had another project at home.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47056

Curious Mike, what did you end up selling that boat for?

I almost bought a project boat, 1990 prostar for $2K but it was down in the Keys. It would have needed about $3K more to make it right to sell. Could have made a couple grand but not worth the travel for me.

(sorry for the threadjack) :)

PineLakeRumble
01-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks Bouyhead. No worries JerseyDave, I'm about to jack my own thread. I've been entertaining another potentially more interesting project(this is where my out of the blue trailer question came from). What do you think of this '87 Prostar 200? There are lots of elements that have been modified/changed that are immediately obvious from the low quality photos but I'm interested. I suppose I'm a sucker for the square windshield/hood scoop combo. Other than my 14ft aluminum with a 15 Johnson, I have no experience with outboards. Any thoughts?

Jerseydave
01-19-2014, 03:48 PM
^cool boat, don't see many of those for sale. I'd check compression on the outboard and water test it. If it idles smooth, has good holeshot and top speed you should be ok.
Not sure about the value of the boat itself......it's the older outboard hull so not as desirable as the later model 200. Good barefoot boat for sure.

Oh and that trailer has to go, way to short......and look how forward the axle is. I bet you can pick up the tongue with one finger!

PineLakeRumble
01-19-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm waiting for more photos later this week. The boat isn't particularly close 5-6 hrs away and during the deep freeze of winter a water test isn't in the cards. I might be able to find a dealer nearby to do a compression/bench test. As well as the trailer, current photos show gel oxidation, ugly cleats, non original rope guard at the back (don't know if you could even find an original style replacement), and incorrect decals. One of the threads here suggested that it was originally used a a jump boat. I suppose it would be fine for slalom and barefoot. As it sits, what would you pay?

jk13
01-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Oooooh the Yamaha Excel 225…one of my dream motors back in the day.

No interior shots on that one? If it's bad enough a new set of sewn together skins can be $1000 on up to about 2000 if you install it yourself. More if you don't. Luckily it's a pretty simple interior or it would be more expensive, of course.

Middle of winter, no water test, etc. If the interior looks good, the motor checks out, and I didn't have a line on a proper used trailer I'd be all in around 3k max. New trailer could be that much again which would make turning it for profit tough. Much smaller market for that boat even as cool as it is like Dave said. If you could line up a used trailer for it before the deal you may be okay going a bit higher--but not much. Good news is that you might find a bass boat trailer that would work because it's not an inboard--no prop guard needed. Paint to match, MC graphics, and send it off. I think resto-modding a boat like that wouldn't hurt resale too much vs. all original. As long as it's of decent quality.

PineLakeRumble
01-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks jk13. I've requested some detailed interior pictures from the seller. When/if they arrive I'll post them for your perusal. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

PineLakeRumble
01-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Quick update, the 88 is off the table. Owner has done his homework and is planning to sit tight through the winter. No surprise there, good call by the current owner.

atihanyi
01-20-2014, 10:52 PM
I've owned a ton of outboards and in my opinion Yamaha has been the best overall

orbeamlb
01-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Oooooh the Yamaha Excel 225…one of my dream motors back in the day.

No interior shots on that one? If it's bad enough a new set of sewn together skins can be $1000 on up to about 2000 if you install it yourself. More if you don't. Luckily it's a pretty simple interior or it would be more expensive, of course.

Middle of winter, no water test, etc. If the interior looks good, the motor checks out, and I didn't have a line on a proper used trailer I'd be all in around 3k max. New trailer could be that much again which would make turning it for profit tough. Much smaller market for that boat even as cool as it is like Dave said. If you could line up a used trailer for it before the deal you may be okay going a bit higher--but not much. Good news is that you might find a bass boat trailer that would work because it's not an inboard--no prop guard needed. Paint to match, MC graphics, and send it off. I think resto-modding a boat like that wouldn't hurt resale too much vs. all original. As long as it's of decent quality.

FYI on a replacement trailer, make sure the trailer has enough clearance for the two tracking fins.

Mike B

PineLakeRumble
01-20-2014, 11:17 PM
Does anyone know the correct name for the chrome bracket/guard that keeps the rope off of the engine? The style changed in later years with the BF200. I cant imagine it would be easy to find an original.

orbeamlb
01-20-2014, 11:22 PM
One of the threads here suggested that it was originally used a a jump boat. I suppose it would be fine for slalom and barefoot.

I believe an '86 model PS200 pulled two Ski Jump world records including the first 200'+ jump.

These boats throw a very soft and flat wake at slalom and barefoot speeds.

PineLakeRumble
01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
This thread my come to an unsatisfying close re. the Prostar 200. The local add has vanished. Seller may be having a change of heart.

PineLakeRumble
02-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Still in the hunt for a boat. Made an offer on the following boat as a fix and flip project. I haven't heard back so I presume that my number was not a good fit. What would you have offered?

Cheers.

TxsRiverRat
02-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Still in the hunt for a boat. Made an offer on the following boat as a fix and flip project. I haven't heard back so I presume that my number was not a good fit. What would you have offered?

Cheers.

4-5K max

thatsmrmastercraft
02-12-2014, 02:44 PM
4-5K max

I would think considerably less. Looks like it needs an interior, a full wet-sand, polish & graphics. Carpet looks questionable. Might not be as bad, but would need better pics to tell.

PineLakeRumble
02-12-2014, 06:21 PM
I was able to look at a Marine survey of the boat which was very helpful. Sadly, the survey concluded with the suggestion that the market value for the boat is 10k. That didn't help my offer at all. Thanks for your feedback.

cbryan70
02-12-2014, 06:24 PM
I was able to look at a Marine survey of the boat which was very helpful. Sadly, the survey concluded with the suggestion that the market value for the boat is 10k. That didn't help my offer at all. Thanks for your feedback.

10k is a joke

mikeg205
02-12-2014, 06:35 PM

was he talking the orange or pink money.... ???

This is a 10K plus boat... and the boat below it is worth more than the one you put a number in on.

PineLakeRumble
02-12-2014, 08:39 PM
was he talking the orange or pink money.... ???

This is a 10K plus boat... and the boat below it is worth more than the one you put a number in on.

Ouch! You're tough Mike. Not that it matters now but my offer was 4k. I guess I wasn't too far off base. Thanks again for the feedback guys.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Ouch! You're tough Mike. Not that it matters now but my offer was 4k. I guess I wasn't too far off base. Thanks again for the feedback guys.

10K for that '86.....:confused:

I guess the old saying holds true here.................crack don't smoke itself.

mikeg205
02-13-2014, 01:43 AM
Sometimes u gotta call a spade a spade... 4k was a good number.. 3500 would be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PineLakeRumble
02-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Still looking for a project. I wondered if it might be cool to switch things up with a different type of classic. I know many of you on this forum have owned older Ski Nautiques. Here are some questions if anyone is up for it...

1. Any tips for stringers other than the tap test and twisting engine mount lag bolts?

2. Are the side & stern colours decals or gel coat? Can the colour be brought back with wet sand, polish, wax?

3. How costly is it to bring that dash back to life?

It wasn't used last summer but it was started in the fall and winterized. Obviously the interior is not original (nor is the pylon ) and there is no back seat. The trailer is original but rough.

Any tips? What would you offer? Is it even worth it as a fix and flip? I appreciate your input.

Cloaked
02-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Still looking for a project. I wondered if it might be cool to switch things up with a different type of classic. I know many of you on this forum have owned older Ski Nautiques. Here are some questions if anyone is up for it...

1. Any tips for stringers other than the tap test and twisting engine mount lag bolts?

2. Are the side & stern colours decals or gel coat? Can the colour be brought back with wet sand, polish, wax?

It wasn't used last summer but it was started in the fall and winterized. Obviously the interior is not original (nor is the pylon ) and there is no back seat. The trailer is original but rough.

Any tips? What would you offer? Is it even worth it as a fix and flip? I appreciate your input.

Doesn't get any easier than this ==> http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks/ for a structural rebuild. As for the interior components and engine work, it would be academic information that can easily be found on this forum....

Best of luck....

PineLakeRumble
02-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Things just got interesting. The 87 Prostar 200 is back on the market with a few more details. I've been in touch with the seller and he has given me his bottom line. How much would you pay? Here are some shots of the interior (the biggest bimini I've ever seen!) and more.

orbeamlb
02-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Motor looks to be in nice shape. Despite the poor quality pictures the interior looks decent. The bimini is huge (looks like it's for a pontoon boat). I'm thinking about $3.5 - 4K max if the motor checks out good and seeing you'd have to replace that undersized trailer (replacement trailer will need to have clearance for the tracking fins).

soacj
02-21-2014, 09:15 PM

Sounds like you might have passed on the CC, but:

Look for copious crazing in the gelcoat, a sure sign of excessive flex due to bad stringers.

The stripes on the Nautique are painted on, believe it or not. You can see on those pics where they've faded and/or been buffed off in spots.

The stripes are different on that "2001" Nautique than any I've seen from that era--The stripes usually continue up to the bow, whereas that boat has them ending in a "point" shy of the bow. Wonder if they were repainted in the past or if that's factory?

PineLakeRumble
02-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks SOACJ. In the end the SN2001 was too far away for me. Coming down to the short straws on the Prostar 200. The deal could be finalized by tomorrow.

soacj
02-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks SOACJ. In the end the SN2001 was too far away for me. Coming down to the short straws on the Prostar 200. The deal could be finalized by tomorrow.

Good luck then!

PineLakeRumble
05-25-2014, 12:52 AM
Many thanks to all those who provided feedback as I wandered from one boat to another looking for a project. Pulled the trigger on a Purple 94 Prostar with PowerSlot this weekend. The boat ran well but needs lots of work to bring it back to it's former glory. Restoration will begin in earnest in four weeks. I'm looking forward to the summer project. I'll do my best to throw some pics up as I go. Has anyone seen one of these interior platforms before? It looks factory, but I've never seen one.

Lumbergh
05-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Nice find. More pics as work progresses please.

The sunpad is kind of cool. Chicks dig sun pads, which is great entertainment for you.