PDA

View Full Version : Clincher Gloves?

6ballsisall
10-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Can you still buy Clincher Gloves? I am in need of a new pair of gloves and wanted to give some of these a try.

Cloaked
10-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Some of the guys on another forum have stated that the gloves are currently being manufactured for restock, to be available in early 06 at authorized merchandisers, i.e. Overtons, etc...

Also upon a Google ==> http://www.wileyski.com/other-gear/gloves.htm among other places.

hleepert
10-30-2005, 08:04 PM
I didn't realizze that they stopped making them. I bought two pairs several years ago and I get at least two seasons from a pair. I swear by them. I have weak fingers and the Clinchers alow me to ski much longer than regular gloves. It took a bit of proctice to get used to them as the dowel can have a tendancy to get hung up in the handle especially if not using the "Anti-Roll" stlyle handle.

Hoosier Bob
10-30-2005, 08:53 PM
I purchased a pair a few months ago at skiers edge. They are great when the P-Factor sets in. It has been happening alot as of late!
I can check next time I am in there and see how their stock is. :D

6ballsisall
10-30-2005, 08:57 PM
That would be sweet thanks Bob!

Ric
10-30-2005, 11:12 PM
I saw them for sale as late as this summer at sun & ski sports, check them out.

Jeff, I used them for a long time because they made it easy to ski longer. Getting rid of the clinchers was certainly one thing that helped my skiing. I was always getting them hung in the handle or I'd miss a grab. I Got some good HO gloves, kevlar liners and and ARS handle and would not go back to clinchers.

6ballsisall
10-30-2005, 11:15 PM
What makes clinchers do this? I thought they just had a preformed curve in them which helped keep your fingers wrapped around the rope. Am i missing something?

Ric
10-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Your first three fingers are tied together to the strap that runs from your fingertips to down around the palm where it attaches to the wristband.
You get a ton of power from that strap which forces your fingers to stay curved and transfers the majority of the load from the pull to your wrists.
But, there is a ~3/8" diameter dowell that reaches across between the tips of your first three fingers where the strap attaches them.
That dowell keeps your three fingers aligned and flat across the handle. It has kinda hard edges that will sometimes hang up in the corner of your handle in a pre turn and then sometimes hang up or trip you up on the grab to come out of the turn. Screws me up every time.

ski_king
10-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I tried a friends pair this summer, they do work once you get the hang of them, but not sure I want a pair.

Ric
10-30-2005, 11:27 PM
you cannot flip off jetskiers when wearing clinchers

Lance
10-30-2005, 11:28 PM
The clincher glove has a strap that runs from the wrist strap to the end of the fingers where there is a dowel sewn into the strap that runs perpendicular to the fingers. If you hold the handle with a tight grip you won't notice a difference between other gloves but if you let go just a little bit with the clincher the dowel transfers the pull to the strap which directs the pull to your wrist and completely takes the tension off your fingers. To me it looks like the same principle as is used by gymnasts and the wrist straps that they use (and weight lifters).

The issue is that dowel makes it a little difficult to release and re-grab the handle when slalom skiing. For other watersports where you hold on with both hands the entire time they are great.

I have used the clinchers periodically and they are pretty amazing but in then end I generally use a regular set of gloves.

The thing that I like is to use the palm protector pads (to prevent caluses [sp?]). When you re-grab the handle if you run your palm past these pads a little they will bunch up between the handle and your fingers and have a similar (although not as pronounced) effect to the clincher. Better than just using a straight glove in my view.

In the end I am a wimp though so others will laugh at this as they probably do the clincher.