PDA

View Full Version : How do you winterize a '99 Xstar v-drive?

JHawley
10-29-2005, 10:28 PM
I just got a 99 xstar, and need to winterize it. Had a '79 prostar previously, which was easy to winterize. I am not sure how to winterize a v-drive. Does anyone have any recommendations?

erkoehler
10-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Same as a D-drive, except the engine is in a different spot???? Correct me if I am wrong.

jrhollow
10-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Make sure you do something with the ballest. I just got mine back from winterization (for the first time since I got the boat this summer) and they filled the ballest with anti-freeze.

Jerseydave
10-31-2005, 01:10 PM
I would assume you need a hose extension for your water intake hose, otherwise it would be tough to suck anti-freeze from a bucket. I let the dealer do my v-drive this time, but next year I'll do it myself.

I would take the ballast pumps out and put them in the house. Add some a/f to the ballast tanks. Don't forget the heater and shower, if you have them. I always put the battery in the house, too.

X2M
10-31-2005, 07:21 PM
:confused: I have a question reguarding winterizing a v-drive. To what extent do we need to winterize our ballast pumps/tanks? Living in this part Northern California we don't get snow and very few if any freezing nights. Do you think we need to fill the tanks with antifreeze?

wtrjock
10-31-2005, 07:38 PM
I am concerned about the Antifreeze idea. Are you sure it is ok to pump antifreeze into the lakes or rivers next spring? I know there are laws against pour antifreeze down storm drains in my city because the storm drains go to the rivers.

Man doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I paid the dealer to winterize my X10. They told me they were going to put the boat at a 45 degree angle and pump out the ballast. They didn't say anything about putting antifreeze in the ballast tanks. I better call them and see if they did that.

bigmac
10-31-2005, 08:25 PM
I am concerned about the Antifreeze idea. Are you sure it is ok to pump antifreeze into the lakes or rivers next spring? I know there are laws against pour antifreeze down storm drains in my city because the storm drains go to the rivers.

Man doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I paid the dealer to winterize my X10. They told me they were going to put the boat at a 45 degree angle and pump out the ballast. They didn't say anything about putting antifreeze in the ballast tanks. I better call them and see if they did that.

RV antifreeze is propylene glycol. Its what they use to winterize boats down to -100 and its toxicity is very very low compared to automobile antifreeze (ethylene glycol). In fact, RV antifreeze is typically labelled as controlled by the USP (United States Pharmacopeia) and is considered "food grade". It's probably more toxic to dump your Budweiser into the lake. Heck...I know it's more toxic to dump your Budweiser into the lake

Jerseydave
10-31-2005, 08:33 PM
For years I start my boat on the hose in the spring, pink anti-freeze comes out and doesn't hurt anything. It's non-toxic, not like the green anti-freeze.

I usually get mine from West marine, Boaters world or BoatUS. I believe the popular brand is Camco??? They come in -40, -50 and -100 degrees.

Wtrjock,
The dealer wants to angle your boat 45 degrees???? Why???
Just drain your ballast tanks, disconnect the hoses to the pumps, and put some pink rv antifreeze in there yourself. That's what I do to my motorhome water tank every winter (but I don't disconnect the pump).
Works great! RV antifreeze costs about $1.00-$1.25 gal.

JDK
10-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Heck...I know it's more toxic to dump your Budweiser into the lake

This depends if it's straight from the can, or if it's been re-cycled :cool:

wtrjock
11-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Njskier, I am not sure about the 45 degree thing. I am definately going to Winterize myself next year. I just bought th eboat this year, and ran out of time. I figured the dealer can do it the first year and I will pick up the activity the next years.

I will use the RV antifreeze trick. Thanks guys.

I have dumped recycled Bud into the river...oops! ;)

JHawley
11-01-2005, 06:08 PM
I just got a 99 xstar, and need to winterize it. Had a '79 prostar previously, which was easy to winterize. I am not sure how to winterize a v-drive. Does anyone have any recommendations?alot of talk about ballest not sure if i have them