PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Countertops

6ballsisall
10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
The wife and I are thinking of our next upgrade to our house. (Isn't it funny, you buy a newly built house thinking you did it so you wouldn't have to upgrade and you end up doing it anyway :rolleyes: ) We want to go Granite countertops. I have just began pricing it out at Home Depot and was quoted $79 per sq ft. installed. Where should a guy go to see if thats a fair price?
They had Corian at about $60 per sq ft. but the wife really liked granite, even over Silestone.

Any advice from those that have done it?

ski_king
10-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Something tells me rodltg2 might be of some help on what a good price is to pay.

But then what does he know, he bought a 3#!#8U

T Scott
10-28-2005, 09:09 PM
I have granite contertops in my house and really like them. I paid $2500 dollars installed and I have approx. 35 sq. feet of countertop. That is approx. $71 a sq. foot. They look great and I feel they are worth every penny.

Mag_Red
10-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Jeff, I'll see if any of the guys that install counter tops in the homes we paint do any side work. Might save you some $$$$

6ballsisall
10-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Jeff, I'll see if any of the guys that install counter tops in the homes we paint do any side work. Might save you some $$$$

Kick arse mag!! Thanks!!!

rodltg2
10-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Whatever you do , do not buy granite countertops from home depot. they merely subcontract the work to someone who doesnt care about quality. you will pay 30% more, have a small selection and it will be done at a production level and not at a custom level. i suggest you find a company that specializes in granite countetops, licensed and does not work out of his truck. check my website and you can get more information about how to go about it. also do not use prefabricated tops, they are garbage.

http://www.cassarinostone.com

rodltg2
10-28-2005, 09:32 PM

not a good idea. you may save some money but who knows how long they take to finish up if ever. when it comes to granite you want high skilled craftsmen working on your project. if they break something your stuck wiht the bil and may take off with your money.

87Craft
10-28-2005, 09:39 PM
this is what we have

http://www.cambriausa.com/

OhioX14
10-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Whatever you do , do not buy granite countertops from home depot. they merely subcontract the work to someone who doesnt care about quality. you will pay 30% more, have a small selection and it will be done at a production level and not at a custom level. i suggest you find a company that specializes in granite countetops, licensed and does not work out of his truck. check my website and you can get more information about how to go about it. also do not use prefabricated tops, they are garbage.

While I'm sure there are some subcontractors of Home Depot who aren't worth a dam and do work out of their truck, we had Home Depot install granite in our home last year and were very impressed with the quality, the installation crew, and their work. In our area H.D. contracts with a company in Cleveland for the supply and installation of granite and we were required to go there to choose our slab and were impressed with their operation and staff. I've also purchased doors and carpet at H.D. and had good luck the contractors who came out and installed those items as well. Plus, if you purchase these items while they're on sale we've found the pricing to be very competitive.

Just our experiences..

lakes Rick
10-28-2005, 10:07 PM
I have black granite counter tops, fireplace mantle, stairway banister, and all of my window sills are the same black granite..
I went to the local "street of dreams" and toured the homes.. I checked out the colors ( alot of difference installed than looking at samples) and then asked the builders who they used..
Estimates were from $7k to over $20K for the SAME piece of granite at the local "granite store", so get LOTS of estimates and look at some installs...
I unfortunately had to work at a Home Depot for 6 months during some bad times.. I also would not have any labor done through them as yes it is all contracted out.. I am sure some good contractors do some work for them, but I never saw anyone very qualified myself..
I would much rather pay and deal with the company doing the work, dealing directly with them if any problems, and not paying extra for home depot's cut.. Bernie has plenty of money and his Atlanta Falcons.

rodltg2
10-28-2005, 10:08 PM
im just going buy the home depot here in town, obviousley every home depot uses a diffrenet sub. i beat h.d prices by about 30% and all done in our location. you dont have to go anywhere else.

betsy&david Harrison
10-29-2005, 12:07 AM
I must chime in here...when we were doing our addition at the lake the H.D. was just terrible. We had trouble with the doors first. We wanted a right hanging and they'd send us a left. The carpet guys were just as bad. Needless to say, we don't us them anymore. We go directly to the professionals. Next year when we put granite in our home kitchen, we will be looking for an expert in the area.
B

rodltg2
10-29-2005, 01:14 AM
jrandol, if you like i can give you what i would charge so you will know if the quotes you get out there are within the ballpark. pm me if your interested and ill tell you what i would need/

Leroy
10-29-2005, 01:22 AM
JR I would find someone in your neighborhood who has done this and is happy with the job they got. Our neighborhood seems to work largely from local referals....not sure who finds the good guy to begin with!

milkmania
10-29-2005, 01:26 AM
not sure who finds the good guy to begin with!

word of mouth works wonders

bigmac
10-29-2005, 01:39 AM
We put in granite a couple of years ago. We priced 4 or 5 different contractors and the Home Depot came in about in the middle of the price range. We checked out that subcontractor and he got really good reviews. Additionally, they were willing to be a lot more flexible on the installation process. We went that route (HD) and it worked out great. There were a few little fixes needed after the installation process and they were very responsive - stuck with the job until it was done to our satisfaction.

No complaints about OUR Home Depot experience, but no question that you still have to investigate the process.

PendO
10-29-2005, 03:22 AM

Nice website Rod!

87Craft
10-29-2005, 10:18 AM
the main reason we didn't do granite is because we were told it will stain (if you get a light color). simple things like coffee spills can stain if left long enough. i think this is because granite is really porous and needs annual maintenance (sealer). anybody had issues with this?

6ballsisall
10-29-2005, 10:23 AM
the main reason we didn't do granite is because we were told it will stain (if you get a light color). simple things like coffee spills can stain if left long enough. i think this is because granite is really porous and needs annual maintenance (sealer). anybody had issues with this?

This is true. You are suppose to seal it once a year (what I took in from all my reading up on it) but was told the sealing process if very simple with a spray type substance. I really liked that Silestone stuff but the wife is dead set on the real thing, Granite. I think granites probably like anything, if you take take of it and use the proper precautionary maintence steps it'll last a long long time

BrianM
10-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Just to throw another idea out there have you considered concrete? I have seen a few homes done with poured in place and then stained and sealed concrete counters. Limitless options on color and style and they look amazing. Plus not everyone has them like granite if you care to be a little different.

Ric
10-29-2005, 12:23 PM

Looks like you guys do some dam nice work!

PendO
10-29-2005, 12:52 PM

Nice thing is every coutertop is like a cutting board surface ...

lakes Rick
10-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Nice thing is every coutertop is like a cutting board surface ...

AND a place to set a hot pot or pan on..

As said above I had the blackest granite installed and I can't imagine it EVER staining or being pourous.. NOT to say it can't, but my black granite is very dense, a small cutoff almost takes two guys to carry... Wonderful stuff, even though I went WAY over budget on it.... Just a poor window saleman you know.........

rodltg2
10-29-2005, 10:41 PM
silestone wont get you very far in resale. everyone wants granite. plus its boring. no movement or trend.

6ballsisall
10-29-2005, 10:43 PM
silestone wont get you very far in resale. everyone wants granite. plus its boring. no movement or trend.

Rod, your site is very nice. I wish you were out here instead of Commiefornia :uglyhamme

erkoehler
10-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Sounds like Rod needs to open up a branch office in Cincy :D

BriEOD
10-30-2005, 08:56 AM
What color are you looking at Jeff?

6ballsisall
10-30-2005, 10:46 AM
What color are you looking at Jeff?

Not totally sure. We don't want to go anything to radical as we plan to sell this home in a year or so. It will be neutral'ish. We have Maple cabinets and a light tan'ish tile in the floor. Right now we have formica countertops that are a speckled beige. I think we want to go slightly darker than that for some contrast

SkiDog
10-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Jeff, I have to agree with Rod, Please do yourself a large favor, and choose a professional to do this job. I am a building contractor that builds anywhere from $100,000 - 750,000 homes and I always choose granite. Unless a client wants to use something different. I have only installed one kitchen with another product in the last 7 years. Granite has to be sealed about every other year, and its so simple a child could do it. The only real downside to granite is that you CANNOT use it to cut on. It will dull the crap out of any knife! After all it, is just rock! The lighter colors will stain if the granite isn't sealed, even then, only liquids like coffee or red wine will stain it. Solid surface materials, like Silestone will scratch, however, the scratches can be sanded out. So therefore, don't use the countertop for a cutting board! And by the way, solid surface tops will stain also. You should be able to get into a granite top (depending on the style) for somewhere around $55-65.00 per sq. ft. Most professional installers will require about a 50% deposit, whereas Home Depot will require FULL payment before your order is processed!
Good luck and let us know what happens, Eddie :rant:
This smiley might be your wife if you end up using Depot!

Leroy
10-30-2005, 03:07 PM
What about quartz? I think we may have something like that? Was in the house when we bought it.

rodltg2
10-31-2005, 04:04 PM
if your looking to sell the house theses colors are neutral and popular. santa cecilia, new venetian gold, giallo veneziano, giallo napoleano.

jraben8
10-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Just to throw out an idea that has already been mentioned... We wanted granite last spring until we stumbled upon SileStone. It turned out to be considerably cheaper and looks the same. Try to talk her into looking at it again... It has been great for us and completely upgraded the look of our kitchen.

I'd be happy to send or post pics of it or the difference that it made if you like.

rodltg2
10-31-2005, 04:35 PM
you should be able to get granite for the same or lower than silestone.
its a good product but its for mainly for those who like complete uniformity . the labor to fab and install silestone is the same, the material is all priced at around $14 sq/ft. all the colors i mentioned before are all around 10-15 sq/ft.

check these guys out , look reputable to me.
http://www.ohiotile.com

M-Funf
10-31-2005, 05:37 PM
We've got Corian in our kitchen. It was there when we bought the place. It's very light, and stains easily. Red wine stains are very difficult to remove.

We have a black stone countertop in our upstairs bathroom which I don't like at all. You know how dark colored cars show dirt more than light ones? 'nuf said...

We have a kitchen remodel on our 5 year plan. We haven't decided on countertops yet, but we've narrowed it down to Granite, Concrete, or Wood...yup, you heard that right, WOOD. I saw a mahogany coutertop that was slightly distressed wood, sealed with a FDA food contact use sealer. It looked gorgous!

I can't comment on installation. My wife works for a mid/high end homebuilder, and we usually just get one of their sub's to do the work for us...

M-Funf
10-31-2005, 05:38 PM

Nice stuff, rod!

You ever do work in the North Bay?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-31-2005, 10:50 PM
I made on mistake after putting in a granite stone countertop. We put in downlights underneith the front edge as an accent light. Used flourescents. Problem is now, when you turn them on, you CAN SEE THE LIGHTS THROUGH THE GRANITE IN SOME SPOTS. What the??? Very disturbing.

I think the color was ubatuba if I recall. Very cool to look at, but forget about the lights, next time I take the lights down I will line the light cavity with sheet metal.

jamisonsbrodie
11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
I used 12x12 granite tiles in a diagonal pattern for our Kitchen, it looks great. It's black granite with irridescent blue, green and silver flakes, I forget the name of it but it turned out great and was quite cheap. About 1/4 the cost of slab. I also used dark grout with 1/16" spacing to minimize the lines. I would definitely do it again. Our cabinets and floor are light, so we went dark on the counters for contrast.

I used halogen puck lights for undercabinet, and don't have any problems with reflection.

jraben8
11-01-2005, 03:10 PM
you should be able to get granite for the same or lower than silestone.
its a good product but its for mainly for those who like complete uniformity . the labor to fab and install silestone is the same, the material is all priced at around $14 sq/ft. all the colors i mentioned before are all around 10-15 sq/ft.

check these guys out , look reputable to me.
http://www.ohiotile.com

Dang it! Maybe I didn't get as good of a deal as I thought. Oh well it's in. Just suck it up and don't tell the wife...

rodltg2
11-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I made on mistake after putting in a granite stone countertop. We put in downlights underneith the front edge as an accent light. Used flourescents. Problem is now, when you turn them on, you CAN SEE THE LIGHTS THROUGH THE GRANITE IN SOME SPOTS. What the??? Very disturbing.

I think the color was ubatuba if I recall. Very cool to look at, but forget about the lights, next time I take the lights down I will line the light cavity with sheet metal.

that is very wierd for two reasons. one, there should be plywood underneath the granite as a subdeck , even at overhangs. two, ubutuba is a very dense color.

we have done a few jobs in santa rosa.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 03:24 PM
that is very wierd for two reasons. one, there should be plywood underneath the granite as a subdeck , even at overhangs. two, ubutuba is a very dense color.

we have done a few jobs in santa rosa.
The front overhang is about 6", that slab is about 3/4" inch think. No plywood.
The bathrooms sink is the same thickness, but no plywood there either. Is this shoddy construction?

east tx skier
11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
We've got Corian in our kitchen. It was there when we bought the place. It's very light, and stains easily. Red wine stains are very difficult to remove.

We have a black stone countertop in our upstairs bathroom which I don't like at all. You know how dark colored cars show dirt more than light ones? 'nuf said...

We have a kitchen remodel on our 5 year plan. We haven't decided on countertops yet, but we've narrowed it down to Granite, Concrete, or Wood...yup, you heard that right, WOOD. I saw a mahogany coutertop that was slightly distressed wood, sealed with a FDA food contact use sealer. It looked gorgous!

I can't comment on installation. My wife works for a mid/high end homebuilder, and we usually just get one of their sub's to do the work for us...

My mom has had the same white Corian countertop in her house for 23 years. Cleans it with Ajax and scotchbrite. No stains. Amazingly durable stuff.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 03:34 PM
My mom has had the same white Corian countertop in her house for 23 years. Cleans it with Ajax and scotchbrite. No stains. Amazingly durable stuff.
I'll vouch for Corian as well. I'd personally use it before stone of any sort for a countertop. And alot easier to repair too (if needed).

rodltg2
11-01-2005, 03:38 PM
The front overhang is about 6", that slab is about 3/4" inch think. No plywood.
The bathrooms sink is the same thickness, but no plywood there either. Is this shoddy construction?

thats taking a short cut. the plywood is a requirement.

JDK
11-01-2005, 03:39 PM
I'll vouch for Corian as well. I'd personally use it before stone of any sort for a countertop. And alot easier to repair too (if needed).

Me too. Kitchens and 2 baths in my house have it. Terrific stuff.

M-Funf
11-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Me too. Kitchens and 2 baths in my house have it. Terrific stuff.

You have a point about repair. I recently needed to "modify" my kitchen countertops to accept a new 40" stove (previous was 30"). It required changing the cabinets, doors, drawers, and corian counters. The corian was very easy to work with. I used a router with a carbide bit, and then sanded everything smooth. It sands really easily...

I have not tried scotch brite or ajax...
:toast:

east tx skier
11-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I don't know if that's the recommended cleaning products, but that's what she's been doing to it for years. FWIW